What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Rosen, MIN (4 Viewers)

for one, never been injured like Tannehill. Younger.
Carr broke his lower leg in half. The dolphins didn't dump an expensive QB that was ruined from injury only to turn around and give a 1st for a MORE expensive QB that was ruined from injury because he's a year and change younger. 

Carr broke his lower leg in half. The dolphins didn't dump an expensive QB that was ruined from injury only to turn around and give a 1st for a MORE expensive QB that was ruined from injury because he's a year and change younger. 
Carr's injury ruined him?  That's news to me.

Maybe ruined is too strong a word. My point is there is little more hope for Carr than there is for Tannehill at this point, and the dolphins just dumped Tannehill. They aren't going after Carr even if he costs a 2nd, much less a 1st. 

Different?  Sure, I can agree with that.  I can also agree that he's been worse, but far from a ruined career.  I think the state of the franchise has something to do with that.  I'd like to see him moved honestly.

DexterDew said:
for one, never been injured like Tannehill. Younger.
He wasn’t even a first round pick when he was drafted and has been very up and down (more down) since then. How would they get a first for him?

jtd13 said:
He's been a bad NFL QB in 2 seasons since the injury. I think it's likely the injury changed his career trajectory for the worse. 
While I certainly don't think Carr is worth a 1st, I would disagree that he's been a bad QB the last 2 years. He's been league average. Pretty much interchangeable with a guy like Stafford, and not all that far behind Kirk Cousins. Carr had a pretty good year last year, considering his top weapon for most of the year was Jared Cook.

For what its worth, I'd rather have Carr than Daniel Jones going forward, of course as this is a Rosen thread, I feel obligated to mention, I'd take Rosen over either of them. Or over Stafford or Cousins for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend who is a Giants fan really wants Rosen. Honestly, as a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't mind him for a relatively cheap price, but young QBs like him almost never come for less than a 2nd. If they trade for him, then trade Dak to a team for a first and 2nd, lol. Not sure who would bite on that, but maybe someone does.

My thinking is that the Cowboys would have Rosen on his rookie contract and then wouldn't have to give Dak a huge extension. They could then come to terms with Zeke pretty easily and afford to keep Byron Jones too, who for the better half of last season, was the premiere CB in the NFL. Out of Zeke, Byron, and Dak, I'd rather give up Dak and replace him with someone like Rosen or even a Ryan Fitzpatrick type.

Can't imagine Cardinals would bite on just the #78 pick from Dolphins.  I think a 2nd round pick is the more realistic price point - leverage or no.

-QG
I've never understood why Arizona has to trade Rosen if they draft Murray. The combined salaries, would still be less than most of the league is spending at QB. 

If I were Arizona, its a 1st rounder(wouldn't have to be 2019) or Rosen stays, if that means he stays, then oh darn, we've got potentially the best backup QB in the NFL, and can go through the same process next year, when he's still got 3 years left on his rookie deal. Or maybe, a Bradford in 2016 like situation happens, where some team loses a starter before the season.

This idea of trading a top-10 pick, a year later for far less than investment, just because we took another player at the position feels foolish to me.

I've never understood why Arizona has to trade Rosen if they draft Murray. The combined salaries, would still be less than most of the league is spending at QB. 

If I were Arizona, its a 1st rounder(wouldn't have to be 2019) or Rosen stays, if that means he stays, then oh darn, we've got potentially the best backup QB in the NFL, and can go through the same process next year, when he's still got 3 years left on his rookie deal. Or maybe, a Bradford in 2016 like situation happens, where some team loses a starter before the season.

This idea of trading a top-10 pick, a year later for far less than investment, just because we took another player at the position feels foolish to me.
Same school of thought that ridiculed the Skins for drafting Cousins in the same draft they drafted RGIII in - turned out "well" for the Skins...if you consider at least having Cousins for a few years to get you over the sting of RGIII being awful before Cousins left town "well."  

I agree with you - If I was AZ, I'd keep Rosen and raft Murray.

Fat Nick said:
Same school of thought that ridiculed the Skins for drafting Cousins in the same draft they drafted RGIII in - turned out "well" for the Skins...if you consider at least having Cousins for a few years to get you over the sting of RGIII being awful before Cousins left town "well."  

I agree with you - If I was AZ, I'd keep Rosen and raft Murray.
But would Rosen want to stay??  Given he has been vocal, I doubt it.

But would Rosen want to stay??  Given he has been vocal, I doubt it.
I mean...he did sign a contract and all...

Sarcasm and my personal feelings about players having so much say in staying with an organization or not, I understand what you're saying.  If the Cards came flat out and said, "Murray will be our starter, Rosen will back him up," I get Rosen's concerns.  If they made it a fair, open competition, Rosen should put-up or shut-up.  While I doubt any team drafts a QB at 1.1 to bench him after he loses to the incumbent in camp, they can at least make it look like it's based on talent!

travdogg said:

I think they have to trade Rosen if they draft Murray. There would just be too many issues in the locker room. All last year the entire team thought Rosen was going to be the guy going forward. Now the very next year they draft someone else to be the man. Keeping both of them will cause splits in the team - it's human nature. Getting rid of Rosen forces the team to unite behind Murray.

I think it's a given they trade Rosen if they draft Murray.

I think they have to trade Rosen if they draft Murray. There would just be too many issues in the locker room. All last year the entire team thought Rosen was going to be the guy going forward. Now the very next year they draft someone else to be the man. Keeping both of them will cause splits in the team - it's human nature. Getting rid of Rosen forces the team to unite behind Murray.

I think it's a given they trade Rosen if they draft Murray.
I guess I just disagree with the bolded. I mean if Rosen were somebody who had a bunch of cache in the league, I could see that point. But he has 1 season, of mostly poor play. If Murray outplays Rosen, everyone will get behind Murray regardless of what they thought of Rosen. Likewise, If Murray can't get the team to rally behind him over Rosen, then he has no business going #1. 

I guess I just disagree with the bolded. I mean if Rosen were somebody who had a bunch of cache in the league, I could see that point. But he has 1 season, of mostly poor play. If Murray outplays Rosen, everyone will get behind Murray regardless of what they thought of Rosen. Likewise, If Murray can't get the team to rally behind him over Rosen, then he has no business going #1. 
I think we forget that these guys are human and make friendships and bonds. If I hire someone as a director and let him run a team for a year and tell everyone that he's their boss for the foreseeable future, then hire another guy and demote the first guy, there's going to be issues. There just is.

We will see what happens. But I'd be shocked if they didn't get rid of Rosen if they draft Murray.

I think we forget that these guys are human and make friendships and bonds. If I hire someone as a director and let him run a team for a year and tell everyone that he's their boss for the foreseeable future, then hire another guy and demote the first guy, there's going to be issues. There just is.

We will see what happens. But I'd be shocked if they didn't get rid of Rosen if they draft Murray.
I would say the opposite.  People worry way too much about that stuff and forget that ultimately all of these guys are employees.  In my work place I've seen plenty of employees around me get promoted and demoted, had peers become team leaders, team leaders who are friends get demoted, etc.  That's just life and they need to grow up if they can't handle it.

But that's not the correct analogy.  You hired someone as a director and told everyone he was their boss, then you got fired.  The new president came in and touted a shiny new director that he likes.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the three "primary" suitors for Josh Rosen are the Giants, Chargers, and Dolphins.

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano recently reported the G-Men have "no interest" in sending the No. 6 or No. 17 pick to Arizona in exchange for Rosen. Unless GM Dave Gettleman has wavered on his hard-nosed stance of refusing to offer their No. 37 selection, too, it's likely the second-year UCLA product lands elsewhere. Miami's interest connects with Peter King's report that no team has done more work on Rosen the past few weeks than the Dolphins. The Fins could potentially offer their second- (No. 48 overall) or third-rounder (No. 78) if the front office deems Rosen a prospect worth building around.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

, New York Giants

, Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: The Adam Schefter Podcast

Apr 22, 2019, 2:07 PM

I would say the opposite.  People worry way too much about that stuff and forget that ultimately all of these guys are employees.  In my work place I've seen plenty of employees around me get promoted and demoted, had peers become team leaders, team leaders who are friends get demoted, etc.  That's just life and they need to grow up if they can't handle it.
We're talking about people in their 20s and early 30s at the oldest.  Most people working in an office environment are far older and more mature than these kids.

But that's not the correct analogy.  You hired someone as a director and told everyone he was their boss, then you got fired.  The new president came in and touted a shiny new director that he likes.
Right. That's even worse for morale.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

a lot of what if's for a guy who 100% gets traded in the next 3 days if they're taking murray.

they'll get a 2nd at best.

I wonder what changed with Washington. For a while it was nearly a done deal. Wonder if they soured or Cardinals said they needed more than they wanted to pay 

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports that the Arizona Cardinals have been in contact with the Dolphins, Redskins, Chargers, and Giants in regards to a trade for Josh Rosen.

Breer anticipates a Rosen trade to happen prior to the first pick to avoid these teams filling up their quarterback needs with the 2019 prospects, which will help us mock drafters. As it sits now, the Cardinals are very likely to select Kyler Murray at 1st overall, but guessing where Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Daniel Jones will end up is difficult. Of the teams listed above, the Redskins and Giants are the two most likely to leave draft night with a future franchise quarterback.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Apr 22, 2019, 7:19 PM

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Washington Redskins are not pursuing a trade for Josh Rosen.

Russini also mentions that the Cardinals are open to keeping Rosen on the roster through the draft with the option of trading him in the summer if they do draft Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray 1st overall, something that is very likely at the moment. The Cardinals are probably finding it difficult to find trading partners for Rosen before the draft, so trading him post-draft to a team that faces a quarterback injury post-draft could be worthwhile. Obviously, there would be a lot of criticism and they'd need to juggle the headache of having two top-10 picks at the same position.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 7:58 AM

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Josh Rosen "was a top-10 pick for a reason."

Despite persistent rumors about the Cardinals replacing him with Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray, Rosen has shown up to all offseason activities, and his coach at least wants people to believe the quarterback has been impressive. "I think Josh has done everything humanly possible to show what type of quarterback he is, what type of competitor he is," Kingsbury said. "I’ve said it all along, I couldn’t be more impressed with his approach. He’s a great player." Perhaps Kingsbury really has been impressed and the Cardinals really will pass on Murray, but this is more likely an attempt to build Rosen's value before he is traded away on Thursday.

SOURCE: Arizona Republic

Apr 23, 2019, 10:21 PM

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Chargers trade talks for Josh Rosen have cooled "based on their evaluations of rookie quarterbacks."

Anderson also reports that the Kyler Murray camp isn't as confident as they once were at being the 1st overall pick and that "one team" could trade up to select him if the Cardinals elect to keep Rosen. That "one team" is unlikely to be the Bolts since they pick 28th overall, but they must have an interest in at least one of the Day 1 or 2 quarterbacks to cut off Rosen trade talks. If it's one of the consensus top-4 quarterbacks, they'd likely need to facilitate a trade up, but it may make more sense to find a Day 2 or 3 quarterback instead. The Chargers also have Tyrod Taylor as Rivers' backup, so it's not a huge need with Rivers still playing at a high level.

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 9:30 AM

Speaking on WEEI, ESPN's Adam Schefter said the Dolphins and Giants are the only teams who have talked to the Cardinals about trading for Josh Rosen in recent weeks.

"Period. End of story," Schefter said. The reporter did add the Chargers inquired about a month ago, but they are no longer interested. Of course, other teams could get back into the mix if Arizona lowers their asking price, which they might be forced to do as Thursday afternoon rolls along. Rosen's already diminished trade value will take a big hit if (when) the Cardinals select Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

, New York Giants

SOURCE: Mut and Callahan on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 10:47 AM

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports Cardinals GM Steve Keim maintains "active ears" on the Josh Rosen trade front but has "underlined the fact that a deal does not have to take place (Thursday)."

The Cards have yet to find what they are looking for in return for last year's No. 10 overall pick, and Keim is apparently committed to not making a desperation. Perhaps he will seek a 2020 pick from teams who do not get a seat at the quarterback table on Thursday. In theory, the Cardinals could hold Rosen into training camp and deal him if/when a team has a need arise then. In practice, the likely awkward dynamic in the Arizona locker room might not be worth that price.

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 11:48 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter considers Josh Rosen more likely to be traded on Friday than Thursday.

Per Schefter, the teams to watch are the Chargers, Dolphins and Giants. ESPN's Josina Anderson reported earlier Thursday that GM Steve Keim will not force a deal on Thursday. A deal Friday would still allow for 2019 day-two picks to be dealt, while 2020 would also be on the table.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

, New York Giants

, Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Evan Silva on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 12:17 PM

Users who are viewing this thread