What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Rosen, MIN (3 Viewers)

I got offered pick 19 for Rosen in a 1qb league. I'm intending to accept it if I get Murray at 11. The only reason I haven't accepted now is that it will reduce my chances of getting Murray, because it'll be more obvious I'm after him and I know the 2 picks behind me are both eying him.
That trade sounds like a no brainer

Been managing employees for 30 years, “why” guys don’t last long unless they bring much more to the table. Which is usually not the case.

Huh.  I earned my way into management and have been there for 2 decades.  I like the “why” guys.  Those guys want to know about how it works, not just doing it because it’s what they are told to do.  The greatest hinderance in increased productivity that I’ve experienced is the guys further up the ladder who respond to the “why” guys with “because we’ve never done it another way before”.  They reject alternatives and stifle creativity for no other reason than it’s outside their comfort zone.

That trade sounds like a no brainer
It isn't. No one is available at 19 in this draft that makes it worthwhile to lessen my chances of getting Murray at 11, IMO. If the guy backs out after I pick at 11, I don't think I missed out on much. 

Huh.  I earned my way into management and have been there for 2 decades.  I like the “why” guys.  Those guys want to know about how it works, not just doing it because it’s what they are told to do.  The greatest hinderance in increased productivity that I’ve experienced is the guys further up the ladder who respond to the “why” guys with “because we’ve never done it another way before”.  They reject alternatives and stifle creativity for no other reason than it’s outside their comfort zone.
Thus the “unless they bring more to the table” caveat. Why guys that are assets are a rare breed, whereas why guys that are self absorbed jerks that just want to stir the pot are a dime a dozen.

Thus the “unless they bring more to the table” caveat. Why guys that are assets are a rare breed, whereas why guys that are self absorbed jerks that just want to stir the pot are a dime a dozen.

We must work in very different fields.  Some of the guys who are real hindrances in my work are those who don’t ask questions but instead just go along to get along.  One of the first things I teach my young engineers, drafters, and field people is that no one is born with the required knowledge and the only dumb questions are the ones you don’t ask.  Not being safe and not questioning are really the two things from my people that really get my hackles up.

We must work in very different fields.  Some of the guys who are real hindrances in my work are those who don’t ask questions but instead just go along to get along.  One of the first things I teach my young engineers, drafters, and field people is that no one is born with the required knowledge and the only dumb questions are the ones you don’t ask.  Not being safe and not questioning are really the two things from my people that really get my hackles up.
But at some point you expect people to know things. I’m fine with questions, but you better perform and not just be the “why guy.”

But at some point you expect people to know things. I’m fine with questions, but you better perform and not just be the “why guy.”

Huh.  I rely on and encourage feedback from my people.  I don’t ever want a person working for me who is uncomfortable questioning.  The times I dealing with those you are describing are the we’ve-never-done-it-that-way-before people.  They learn to get up to speed pretty quickly, but they seem to be the exception.

Huh.  I rely on and encourage feedback from my people.  I don’t ever want a person working for me who is uncomfortable questioning.  The times I dealing with those you are describing are the we’ve-never-done-it-that-way-before people.  They learn to get up to speed pretty quickly, but they seem to be the exception.
I guess we have different experiences. There’s a fine line between asking for the sake of asking and figuring stuff out for yourself.

It isn't. No one is available at 19 in this draft that makes it worthwhile to lessen my chances of getting Murray at 11, IMO. If the guy backs out after I pick at 11, I don't think I missed out on much. 
Why not make the trade now and use the extra capital to move up and get Murray ?

I would put the chances of him falling to 1.11 at less than 50%.

If you identify a guy you really want you go and get him.

The Miami Herald reports Ryan Fitzpatrick has consistently outplayed Josh Rosen in practice thus far.

That's per reporter Barry Jackson, who also notes that it is Fitzpatrick who continues to receive the first first-team reps. Jackson does not report that Rosen has played poorly, just that Fitzpatrick has been better. There is no guarantee the Dolphins force Rosen under center for Week 1, but regardless of how Fitzpatrick plays, Rosen is going to make a number of 2019 starts.

RELATED: 

Ryan Fitzpatrick

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Jun 4, 2019, 4:08 PM ET

Dolphins coach Brian Flores said Ryan Fitzpatrick is leading the quarterback competition.

As The Athletic's Chris Perkins put it, the coach was just "confirming what everyone has seen" so far in camp. There is still time for Josh Rosen to turn things around, but he has reportedly struggled so far in his Dolphins tenure. The most likely outcome is both Fitzpatrick and Rosen making starts this season.

SOURCE: Chris Perkins on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 10:06 AM ET

It was expected that Fitzpatrick would be leading this race at this point.  He is a savvy veteran.  However, Fitzpatrick is also a known commodity.  He is a journeyman who can win you games and even generate short-term excitement, but he is not a franchise signal caller.  Rosen, on the other hand, is the hope of the franchise.  Having Fitzpatrick allows the team the luxury of bringing Rosen along slowly, but it is merely a matter of when, not if, Rosen becomes the starter, and that date is not too far in the future.  The Dolphins will extend a short leash to Fitzpatrick, yet a long leash once Rosen is installed as the starter.  

However, the lack of exciting playmakers in Miami is a serious concern.  The cupboard is bare in Miami.  This offense is not going to strike fear into opponents.

I believe Rosen is a talented young QB,  but unless and until the Dolphins surround him with some talented playmakers, it is hard to get too excited about Rosen's dynasty future.  This may be a dynasty buy-low opportunity, but the Dolphins picked him up at a bargain, so they aren't exactly heavily invested, and while I expect Rosen to be on the field sooner rather than later, it is difficult to imagine him having great success with the supporting cast he is being provided.  I just hope Rosen's confidence is not shattered before he gets a legitimate opportunity to showcase his abilities.  

I am buying rock-bottom low with cautious optimism in dynasty, but I have low expectations for short-term success.  

I am buying rock-bottom low with cautious optimism in dynasty, but I have low expectations for short-term success.  
While I get that he likely is a "buy low" candidate - what really is his upside?

Like you said this season will most likely be a lost season sitting behind Fitz for a while and then with the Dolphins depleted o-line and lack of weapons if he does see the field what can we expect from a young QB? Then what? It's quite possible the Dolphins earn a top 3 draft slot and take one of the draft eligible QBs teams are salivating over right now. Then what? Rosen gets shipped to yet another new team and starts over again or he stays in Miami and has to battle with what's likely a superior talent at QB?

Even if things work out in Miami, does he even have QB1 upside? - I think he's probably a fantasy backup at best with all the good young QBs in the league right now.

Honestly, I'm not sure he's even worth taking up a roster spot let alone the dart throw pick it would cost to acquire him. If you own him I suppose you have to hold and hope but personally I'd probably be fine selling low and hoping to get lucky. I see some random 3rd round rookie pick having more potential upside than Rosen.

While I get that he likely is a "buy low" candidate - what really is his upside?

Like you said this season will most likely be a lost season sitting behind Fitz for a while and then with the Dolphins depleted o-line and lack of weapons if he does see the field what can we expect from a young QB? Then what? It's quite possible the Dolphins earn a top 3 draft slot and take one of the draft eligible QBs teams are salivating over right now. Then what? Rosen gets shipped to yet another new team and starts over again or he stays in Miami and has to battle with what's likely a superior talent at QB?

Even if things work out in Miami, does he even have QB1 upside? - I think he's probably a fantasy backup at best with all the good young QBs in the league right now.

Honestly, I'm not sure he's even worth taking up a roster spot let alone the dart throw pick it would cost to acquire him. If you own him I suppose you have to hold and hope but personally I'd probably be fine selling low and hoping to get lucky. I see some random 3rd round rookie pick having more potential upside than Rosen.
I would not fault anyone for cutting your losses and moving on from Rosen.  His future looks rather bleak at the moment.  He will almost certainly be taking up valuable roster space with no immediate returns in the foreseeable future.  I agree that Miami is a black hole for Rosen.  The team is bereft of dynamic playmakers.  However, I do think Rosen has QB1 upside, and if you have a deep dynasty bench, as an essentially free asset, he may be worth a buy and hold.  Think of this season as a job interview season for Josh Rosen.  More than the numbers he amasses, I will be looking for signs that Rosen has the ability to command a team.  I believe the arm talent is there.  

The best thing for Rosen's career may be for him to move to a third team in three years, and I worry how that affects him, but in the right situation, I believe Rosen can be successful.  It is a shame his path in the NFL has gone this way, but it may be early to write him off.

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, Josh Rosen "might just be the Dolphins' QB1" when the team returns to practice on Monday.

Rosen shined during Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage, making what Beasley deemed as "remarkable throws," while Fitzpatrick fared poorly, committing two interceptions while nearly throwing a third on an errant pass he forced into double coverage. Fitzpatrick has held the lead in Miami's quarterback competition all offseason, but Saturday's tour de force performance by Rosen may have turned the tide. "He’s made some improvement really across the board," gushed first-year head coach Brian Flores. "Better footwork, better mechanics in the pocket, better decision-making." Rosen tanked as a rookie last year but never had much chance to succeed with a weak supporting cast and poor coaching in Arizona. The change of scenery this offseason seems to have done him some good.

RELATED: 

Ryan Fitzpatrick

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Aug 4, 2019, 10:19 AM ET

Josh Rosen completed 13-of-20 passes for 191 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception in the Dolphins' preseason opener against the Falcons.

Operating behind the Dolphins' hysterically-bad second-team offensive line, Rosen got off to a shaky start, taking a lot of hits and tossing an awful pick. He then managed to settle in, playing some pitch and catch with hyped UDFA Preston Williams. Some of his completions did fall into the "lucky" category. The second-year pro looked like a player who might benefit from some time with actual starting linemen.

Aug 9, 2019, 12:03 AM ET

Rosen owners should hope for a couple good preseason games so they can dump him. This train is going nowhere fast.

I don't know how you can make that observation when he played in the worst offense in the NFL last season and one preseason game behind the backups of one of the worst offensive lines in the game.
I saw every snap of every cardinals game last year. Yes, the entire team was a disaster. But he showed zero spark and zero leadership ability. The Cards did 100 percent the right thing moving on from him. Miami will move on at some point soon too.

I saw every snap of every cardinals game last year. Yes, the entire team was a disaster. But he showed zero spark and zero leadership ability. The Cards did 100 percent the right thing moving on from him. Miami will move on at some point soon too.
Ya, AZ knows their O-line is terrible and got a more mobile QB that can run for his life 😎

Same was said about Jared Goff after a season.  Sometimes it takes time, and often it takes an NFL-caliber cast, and/or a real NFL coaching staff around you.  He may not have either of those things in Miami, but it still seems too early to pass this kind of judgement.

Same was said about Jared Goff after a season.  Sometimes it takes time, and often it takes an NFL-caliber cast, and/or a real NFL coaching staff around you.  He may not have either of those things in Miami, but it still seems too early to pass this kind of judgement.
Goff has wonderboy McVay while Rosen has Clyde Christiansen (I think) to mentor him. I'm not sure the same growth should be expected. I'm a Rosen defender to an extent because I'd like to see what he could do with a fair shake. I'm not sure there is much to be learned playing on that Cards team last year. He's onto yet another OC and makeshift o-line. There just aren't high expectations for Miami this year across the board. He just needs to show that he can actually be a starting QB in the league.

People seem to be brushing aside the possibility that Rosen was a big part of the problem in AZ last year. 

I get that everyone around him sucked. I’m just saying I never saw a spark or a sign that he could lead the team and rise above. We’ll see soon enough.

According to ESPN's Cameron Wolfe, Josh Rosen has been getting "true starter burn" this week.

Rosen was working with the ones during Wednesday's joint practice with Tampa Bay. The 2018 first-rounder has spent the bulk of his brief Dolphins tenure behind Ryan Fitzpatrick but has made significant headway in recent weeks. It's unclear if he'll get the Week 1 nod, but Rosen should ascend to lead status at some point in 2019. However, when he makes that leap, he'll be doing so with a weak supporting cast and a suspect offensive line reeling from offseason losses.

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 10:48 AM ET

Josh Rosen completed 10-of-18 passes for 102 scoreless yards in the Dolphins’ second preseason game Friday at Tampa Bay.

He was sacked three times for a loss of 15 yards. Rosen drew the start and played the first 30 minutes before passing the baton to veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick in the second half. First-year head coach Brian Flores is giving Rosen a legitimate shot to win the starting role but on Friday night, he couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity. It wasn’t all Rosen’s fault as the 2018 first-rounder spent much of the evening running for his life behind a porous Miami offensive line. A pair of head-scratching drops by Preston Williams didn’t help matters, though Rosen needed to be more precise, missing low on a fourth-and-goal pass to Isaiah Ford and nearly throwing a pick-six to Bucs corner Jamel Dean, who let a sure interception fall through his fingertips. It’s way too early to give up on Rosen, but he didn’t show us much Friday night. Maybe he’ll fare better when the Fins host Jacksonville in Thursday’s regular-season dress rehearsal.

Aug 16, 2019, 11:15 PM ET

Josh Rosen completed 7-of-18 passes for 97 yards and an interception Sunday in the Dolphins’ Week 2 loss to New England.

Rosen absorbed three sacks for a loss of 21 yards during his extended fourth-quarter cameo. He came off the bench in relief of Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was charged with three interceptions including a pair of pick-sixes. Rosen spent the bulk of his outing throwing errant deep bombs while fighting for his life behind Miami's non-existent offensive line. He was intercepted on his final throw of the afternoon, lobbing a duck to Jamie Collins while facing heavy pressure. Rosen hasn't lived up to his first-round billing yet, but he's been put in awful situations, both last year in Arizona and now this season with Miami. Rosen should probably be starting at this point, though it's hard to imagine him faring much better than Fitzpatrick with a weak supporting cast and a patchwork line in front of him. The Dolphins have been outscored by an embarrassing 102-10 margin in the early going.

Sep 15, 2019, 7:29 PM ET

Miami needs to trade this guy.  I liked his talent coming out, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold at this point in Dynasty. 

Users who are viewing this thread