Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Josh Rosen, Bucs

Recommended Posts

 

Quote

Coach Brian Flores said the starting quarterback situation is "settled" and Josh Rosen will start the remainder of the season.

Flores said he likes the progress he's seen from Rosen the last few weeks and is ready to roll with him the rest of 2019 barring injury. Rosen has started the last two games and is 35-of-63 for 380 yards and a 1:1 TD:INT mark. Week 6 against the similarly-awful Redskins might be Rosen's best shot of the season to reach 300-plus yards and multiple touchdowns.

SOURCE: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 11:17 AM ET

 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Faust said:

One post above:

On 10/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, Faust said:

Flores said he likes the progress he's seen from Rosen the last few weeks and is ready to roll with him the rest of 2019 barring injury.

Should have said "...barring injury or inevitable poor performance because he is Josh Rosen."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

The Dolphins prematurely made Josh Rosen a starter before he was ready. He struggled for three games and Brian Flores pulled the plug before defenses REALLY created a book on him. As a former defensive coordinator Flores know what was coming. He saved Rosen from bottoming out.

 

Quote

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Anyone who has seen Josh Rosen practice knows he’s not an NFL starter. He doesn’t process what he sees fast enough. Bottom line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, [scooter] said:

One post above:

Should have said "...barring injury or inevitable poor performance because he is Josh Rosen."

GM Chris Grier is on the hot seat for giving up a late 2nd for Rosen. Josh makes some wow throws, which is why he may have been drafted with the 10th overall pick. But he doesn't see the field or have good pocket presence. He would need a great oline and good weapons to succeed, like the Rams of 2017 & 2018. Apparently no other team was interested. 

Going further on Grier, he apparently overruled owner Ross' preference in the 2018 draft for Lamar Jackson, who would've made more of a splash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rosen has played two seasons behind historically bad offensive lines.

Last season Arizona has 7 offensive linemen go on IR, to include all 5 starters

PFF ranked the Dolphins OL as the worst in the league before the season started.  That rank was given when Tunsil was still on the team too.  They've changed their start starting OL lineup 5 times in 5 games. I think they also have the worst average draft position starting OL in the league in the well. 

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Rosen has played two seasons behind historically bad offensive lines.

Last season Arizona has 7 offensive linemen go on IR, to include all 5 starters

PFF ranked the Dolphins OL as the worst in the league before the season started.  That rank was given when Tunsil was still on the team too.  They've changed their start starting OL lineup 5 times in 5 games. I think they also have the worst average draft position starting OL in the league in the well. 

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 

The barometer in Miami is that he couldn't beat out Fitzpatrick in practice or in the preseason. But Fitzpatrick has game, so maybe  that's not fair. The local reporters said he had trouble picking up the offense.  In real games, he hasn't been good at looking off defenders, reading defenses or avoiding sacks. As you state, his olines have been horrible. In addition, the skill position talent has been below average, except for DJ in Arizona. He'll probably start some games later in the year, but he's likely an NFL backup QB. Fitzpatrick has a 2 year contract, maybe he'll be the mentor to Miami's QB of the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

GM Chris Grier is on the hot seat for giving up a late 2nd for Rosen. Josh makes some wow throws, which is why he may have been drafted with the 10th overall pick. But he doesn't see the field or have good pocket presence. He would need a great oline and good weapons to succeed, like the Rams of 2017 & 2018. Apparently no other team was interested. 

Going further on Grier, he apparently overruled owner Ross' preference in the 2018 draft for Lamar Jackson, who would've made more of a splash.

I think Miami traded down or something with New Orleans prior. I would have to look but it felt like on Draft Night that Miami got him for a swan and he also is low salary and a back up that could blossom in a year or two. 

We've seen franchises take QBs #1 or top5 overall and somehow it's the back up, the guy who was a 3rd rounder like Kirk Cousins who ends up being the better pick. 

Hard to evaluate Rosen with such a terrible team around him. 

Edit to add: Pieced the trade details...

So we lost a 2nd, 4th and 2020 5th, 

We got back Rosen a 6th and a 2020 2nd.

2nd vs 2020 2nd-wash....4th vs a 6th-Not huge deal, and Future 5th vs Josh Rosen...we got him cheap. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Max Power said:

Rosen has played two seasons behind historically bad offensive lines.

Last season Arizona has 7 offensive linemen go on IR, to include all 5 starters

PFF ranked the Dolphins OL as the worst in the league before the season started.  That rank was given when Tunsil was still on the team too.  They've changed their start starting OL lineup 5 times in 5 games. I think they also have the worst average draft position starting OL in the league in the well. 

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 

This is a fair observation for those of us who are third party observers.  But it's worth noting that two different coaching staffs have gotten to work with Rosen day-in day-out and have independently concluded that he's not the guy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 4:59 PM, wgoldsph said:

I'd like to add negative 1 points for ints and fumbles lost.   The final tally is based on the  cumulative fantasy points gained during the 2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons.

Just making sure we are still tracking this. I have Daniel Jones and Haskins (whoever scores more); you have Rosen. Bet is as stated above for $100.

I may win this bet with just Jones’ stats for this year. Rosen may never see an NFL field again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wgoldsph, I just want to see if you're still around. We have a $100 bet on Jones/Haskins (me) and Rosen (you) on who does better over the next three years. I don't want to lose track of that.

Are you still super high on Rosen, or have you come around to the other side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The score after year 1:

Daniel Jones - 262.98

Dwayne Haskins - 90.8

Josh Rosen - 19.98

:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kutta said:

The score after year 1:

Daniel Jones - 262.98

Dwayne Haskins - 90.8

Josh Rosen - 19.98

:popcorn:

Josen 2020

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, IvanKaramazov said:
On 10/17/2019 at 2:28 AM, Max Power said:

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 

This is a fair observation for those of us who are third party observers.  But it's worth noting that two different coaching staffs have gotten to work with Rosen day-in day-out and have independently concluded that he's not the guy.  

Nothing but fan speculation, but there's chatter that the Saints could be intrigued with Rosen if Miami lets him go.

Some are saying that it's an attitude and motivation thing with Brian Flores and Rosen, something of a personality clash. That Rosen is basically a less-motivated version of Jay Cutler. Other Saints fans have their interests piqued and are chalking up all of Rosen's struggles to "bad teams" and "bad supporting casts". "Losing team cultures", etc.

Would it be insane talk for a coach like Sean Payton to be able to wring something positive out of Josh Rosen? Hypothetically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Doug B said:

Would it be insane talk for a coach like Sean Payton to be able to wring something positive out of Josh Rosen? Hypothetically?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doug B said:

Nothing but fan speculation, but there's chatter that the Saints could be intrigued with Rosen if Miami lets him go.

Some are saying that it's an attitude and motivation thing with Brian Flores and Rosen, something of a personality clash. That Rosen is basically a less-motivated version of Jay Cutler. Other Saints fans have their interests piqued and are chalking up all of Rosen's struggles to "bad teams" and "bad supporting casts". "Losing team cultures", etc.

Would it be insane talk for a coach like Sean Payton to be able to wring something positive out of Josh Rosen? Hypothetically?

Why wouldn’t they just keep Bridgewater instead?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Why wouldn’t they just keep Bridgewater instead?

He's a UFA so may want to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tool said:

He's a UFA so may want to start.

Sure. I guess I misunderstood the post I was quoting to mean Rosen as the starter should Brees  retire. Rosen as a backup would make more sense though.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Sure. I guess I misunderstood the post I was quoting to mean Rosen as the starter should Brees  retire. Rosen as a backup would make more sense though.

I think the Saints would be interested in Rosen if Bridgewater moved on, and Brees stayed for 1 or 2 more years. Some are talking about Taysom Hill being a potential starter, honestly have no idea if that has any legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Sure. I guess I misunderstood the post I was quoting to mean Rosen as the starter should Brees retire. Rosen as a backup would make more sense though.

No, you understood correctly. Keep in mind that I'm talking about fan speculation, though -- not even a hint of any of this coming from the team.

The idea is that Rosen is only making 23 next month, and he's been with two career-killing franchises. And maybe he's got more potential than the inept Cardinals and Dolphins can tap into. Maybe, I said -- us Saints fans are coming from positions of ignorance regarding Rosen.

Hence this thread. Was wondering if Rosen had known episodes of bad attitude, not caring, not working on his game, sulking, etc. Or if he looks physically overmatched, even in practice and in preseason games. Or whatever the deal might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Doug B said:

That Rosen is basically a less-motivated version of Jay Cutler.

That's not possible

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doug B said:

 Was wondering if Rosen had known episodes of bad attitude, not caring, not working on his game, sulking, etc. Or if he looks physically overmatched, even in practice and in preseason games. Or whatever the deal might be.

 

18 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

from my understanding, that is exactly what raised red flags in the predraft process... he is a spoiled silver spoon entitled brat 

not necessarily bad attitude, but the Cutler comparison keeps coming up from Rosen's nonchalant attitude. lack of urgency was an issue for him in college, or the appearance of it, and he was one of those nurtured, entitled kids. mechanically he had the right tools, above the neck though he's just about what I expected in the NFL. he needs a lot of attitude tuning and would need a strong coach to get him there, if he can get there at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They start this guy all year and they will be in prime position to get Trevor Lawrence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lod001 said:

They start this guy all year and they will be in prime position to get Trevor Lawrence.

As a fan of the team, this is what I want to see happen. I’m spooked by Tua’s injury (injuries really), and I don’t want any part of him at 5, even if he looks relatively good at the combine. Let Rosen play a full season with a revamped roster and see what we have in him. 
 

I have a feeling that they are going to draft Tua and redshirt him in 2020 with Fitzpatrick starting though. 
 

 

Edited by Man In The Box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Miami Herald's Armando Salguero said it's "likely" that Josh Rosen remains on the Dolphins "barring something unexpected."

This wasn't necessarily a formal report but more of a prognostication based on the team's words and actions. It's widely assumed the Dolphins will be eyeing a quarterback with a top pick in this draft, and they just re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to be their bridge guy. That leaves Rosen in the shadows once again. Now that Rosen has done nothing in two years with two teams, it's hard to see another team acquiring him with legit draft capital, so all signs point to Rosen staying in Miami as a backup project. The good news is that he's cheap. Rosen has cap hits of $2.1 million and $2.9 million over the next two seasons, plus has a team option in 2022.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Feb 19, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports teams have called the Dolphins about Josh Rosen.

The Dolphins are reportedly "in no hurry to trade him." Rosen's trade value has to be close to nonexistent at this point even with his miniscule cap hits. He couldn't beat Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job in Miami last season and has been a well below-average passer whenever he's been on the field (career 5.7 yards per attempt with 12 TDs and 19 INTs). Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reported in February that it's "likely" that Rosen remains on the team, but he'll probably serve as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind Fitzpatrick and Tua Tagovailoa in 2020.

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

May 20, 2020, 10:01 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Please don't get my words twisted. Has Josh Rosen fixed all his problems? NO. Is Rosen better than Fitzpatrick? NO. Did he outperform Fitzpatrick this week? NO. But he damn sure closed the Mississippi River sized gap.

I'm just curious what happens if Flores opened the door?

https://twitter.com/omarkelly/status/1296564885417910272?s=21

 

Quote

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Brian Flores has typically rewarded strong performers with elevated roles. That's how he operated last season. If that's consistent and carries over to this camp then Josh Rosen and Myles Gaskin deserve an elevation.

https://twitter.com/omarkelly/status/1296565306605948928?s=21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not totally surprised here, its still totally within reason that Rosen is a useful QB. He's still only what, 23? He's had the 2 worst OL's in the league back to back years. I still believe there could be a quality backup QB here, and perhaps a low end starter. 

I'm really surprised nobody came calling after Tua was drafted. Maybe they did and just offered peanuts. Personally, I think Rosen is still a better prospect than any of the rookies drafted after round 3 this year.

Edited by travdogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is really bad. There's an almost zero chance he gets a chance at a starting gig any time soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Quote

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins are receiving trade inquiries about QB Josh Rosen. 

It's hard to imagine a team champing at the bit to acquire Rosen, the former No. 10 NFL draft pick. With rookie QB Tua Tagovailoa healthy enough to start the season, Miami is looking to get something for Rosen if a team wants him as a backup. The Dolphins reportedly fielded trade requests for Rosen back in May too. If he stays with Miami, Rosen will be the team's third stringer. 

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 3, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we just let this guy fad away please? He's a really bad QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kutta said:

Can we just let this guy fad away please? He's a really bad QB.

Do we honestly know this yet?  If Rosen's confidence is not completely shot by this point, I still believe he can be a serviceable QB in the NFL. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kutta said:

Can we just let this guy fad away please? He's a really bad QB.

Can we see him play behind a top 25 offensive line before we say that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, socrates said:

Do we honestly know this yet?  If Rosen's confidence is not completely shot by this point, I still believe he can be a serviceable QB in the NFL. 

 

2 hours ago, wgoldsph said:

Can we see him play behind a top 25 offensive line before we say that?

Yes. We know this.

I said it all during his rookie year. I said it all during the summer when he was traded. I said it all during last year. And I'll keep saying it. I even bet on it upthread and I'm going to win $100 next year. This guy is no good.

I watched every snap of his in Arizona. He was disinterested, and just plain bad. He has show absolutely nothing in the NFL. It's not like he was derailed by injuries. The Cardinals drafted him at #10 and then moved on from him the next year. That's a serious indictment. The best they could get was a late second round draft pick. He couldn't beat out an old journeyman QB last year in Miami. And now they are looking to trade him again. I'm not sure what else it takes to show people that he is no good.

The guy is just really bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kutta said:

 

Yes. We know this.

I said it all during his rookie year. I said it all during the summer when he was traded. I said it all during last year. And I'll keep saying it. I even bet on it upthread and I'm going to win $100 next year. This guy is no good.

I watched every snap of his in Arizona. He was disinterested, and just plain bad. He has show absolutely nothing in the NFL. It's not like he was derailed by injuries. The Cardinals drafted him at #10 and then moved on from him the next year. That's a serious indictment. The best they could get was a late second round draft pick. He couldn't beat out an old journeyman QB last year in Miami. And now they are looking to trade him again. I'm not sure what else it takes to show people that he is no good.

The guy is just really bad.

He had about 2 wow throws for Miami last year out a hundred or more plays I saw. He has the arm, some mobility, but poor pocket presence and no ability to quickly  find the open guy. He would need more than a top 25 line to do well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kutta said:

 

Yes. We know this.

I said it all during his rookie year. I said it all during the summer when he was traded. I said it all during last year. And I'll keep saying it. I even bet on it upthread and I'm going to win $100 next year. This guy is no good.

I watched every snap of his in Arizona. He was disinterested, and just plain bad. He has show absolutely nothing in the NFL. It's not like he was derailed by injuries. The Cardinals drafted him at #10 and then moved on from him the next year. That's a serious indictment. The best they could get was a late second round draft pick. He couldn't beat out an old journeyman QB last year in Miami. And now they are looking to trade him again. I'm not sure what else it takes to show people that he is no good.

The guy is just really bad.

same goes back to his ucla days. there's really nothing special about him and he's simply not NFL material. only what-if he had on his side was he had a bad o-line in college too and all through NFL so far, but he hasn't shown any sign of life. he's a worse version of Cutler with his attitude without the skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

At least the Cards were able to recoup a 2nd outta the debacle.

And a 5th round pick in 2020. At the time he was traded to Miami, I heard a lot of callers on sports radio saying to trade for Rosen, but don't give up a 2nd because no other team is intetested. Arizona had no leverage, it seemed.

Cutting him now surprised me because I thought he'd have some value if a team had a QB injury, or COVID issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams where I think Rosen would be an upgrade at QB2:

Bengals-Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley offer less.

Broncos-Jeff Driskel is a better runner than passer. Not really Denver's offense.

Texans-Younger and more upside than McCarron.

Jaguars-Mike Glennon offers nothing.

Rams-McVay would be the guy to get something out of Rosen, and Rams have solid weapons. OL still an issue.

Bucs-Arians/Brady would be a great place to learn from.

Titans-Trevor Siemian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

And a 5th round pick in 2020. At the time he was traded to Miami, I heard a lot of callers on sports radio saying to trade for Rosen, but don't give up a 2nd because no other team is intetested. Arizona had no leverage, it seemed.

Cutting him now surprised me because I thought he'd have some value if a team had a QB injury, or COVID issue. 

Will be interesting to see if he's claimed. He was due this and next in essence lower-level backup QB money.

He's in a real rough position. 2 different staffs have given up on him in his first 2 years in league (i.e. he hasn't built the connections to be a system plug and play like many teams want in a backup. Particularly this close to the season).

Obviously terrible 2 staffs have dumped him in 2 years but really bad sign for his NFL future in total if not claimed given his salary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.