What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Rosen, MIN (2 Viewers)

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that over the course of the NFL Scouting Combine, the Cardinals did not give the indication that they are shopping Josh Rosen at this juncture.

Schefter relays from a pair of sources who spoke with the Cardinals that "multiple teams" approached them on the Rosen trade front at the combine, but that "Arizona did not give those teams any indication that it is willing to move on from Josh Rosen at this time." This report comes on the heels of Indianapolis dispatches from both Bleacher Report's Matt Miller and Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline that the Cardinals are aiming to draft OU's Kyler Murray. It wouldn't surprise us if their purported interest in Murray ended up being a massive smokescreen to try to lure another team -- say, the Raiders, with HC Jon Gruden reportedly being "all over" Murray -- to trade up to No. 1. All of this smoke will clear in time, but for now, it's just a matter of trying to squint through the haze to ascertain what might actually be going on under the surface.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 6, 2019, 3:07 PM

CBS' Jason La Canfora predicts Josh Rosen will be traded to the Redskins for a third-round pick.

La Canfora is purely speculating, but he is also convinced Kyler Murray will be the No. 1 overall pick to the Cardinals. As La Canfora points out, there are not many teams beyond the upper reaches of the draft that need a quarterback this offseason. With Nick Foles seemingly heading to the Jaguars, that does indeed leave the Redskins as perhaps the most plausible landing spot.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Mar 7, 2019, 12:42 PM

It's hard for me to get my head around how a young highly pedigreed QB whose rights you'd own for 3 years at less then $7M total pay plus his 5th year  option at your disposal can only draw back a third round pick.  I refuse to believe he can't get at least a second.

CBS' Jason La Canfora predicts Josh Rosen will be traded to the Redskins for a third-round pick.

La Canfora is purely speculating, but he is also convinced Kyler Murray will be the No. 1 overall pick to the Cardinals. As La Canfora points out, there are not many teams beyond the upper reaches of the draft that need a quarterback this offseason. With Nick Foles seemingly heading to the Jaguars, that does indeed leave the Redskins as perhaps the most plausible landing spot.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
For a franchise and fan base that has been cursed for decades (Sean Taylor, RG3, countless horrible FA signings) this would be such a nice change of luck for us. Praying that happens. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not heading to Washington. 

Redskins just acquired Case Keenum to compete with Colt Mccoy. Pick swap 2020  7th round pick and Case in return for a 2020 6th round pick. 

Keenum is making backup money.  That deal doesn’t preclude Rosen from going to WAS.  In fact, it could be WAS setting their bridge/backup QB in place.

Keenum is making backup money.  That deal doesn’t preclude Rosen from going to WAS.  In fact, it could be WAS setting their bridge/backup QB in place.
They already have $27 million in guaranteed cap hits for Smith, Keenum and McCoy QBs next season. Adding Rosen would push it to $31. That is a big number for a group of very questionable QBs.

They already have $27 million in guaranteed cap hits for Smith, Keenum and McCoy QBs next season. Adding Rosen would push it to $31. That is a big number for a group of very questionable QBs.

SportsTrac has the current WAS QBs including Keenum at $27.3M - which is what you also have.  Adding Rosen would add $1.3M to that since his signing bonus would accelerate against AZ and not go to WAS.

SportsTrac has the current WAS QBs including Keenum at $27.3M - which is what you also have.  Adding Rosen would add $1.3M to that since his signing bonus would accelerate against AZ and not go to WAS.
Thanks, it makes this seem to be even weirder. Rosen looks like a steal. If the plan was to get Rosen why not just roll with McCoy as the backup?

Here is how the salaries break down. Keenum counts against Washingtons cap for only 3.5 mil

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/1103788704475181056?s=19

eta: not saying your salary is wrong, just showing everyone that Denver is paying 3.5 of the 7

How is it that Josh Rosen who was selected 10th overall in last years draft possibly be only worth a 3rd round pick one year later?

Josh Rosen in my view would easily be the 2nd best QB of this draft class (if you have Murray ahead of him) and therefore is worth a 1st round pick.

There was some talk that AZ would go after Keenum as a backup if he was cut since he's familiar with Kliff and played in the system in college. Maybe Washington believe he'll help them get Rosen.

There was some talk that AZ would go after Keenum as a backup if he was cut since he's familiar with Kliff and played in the system in college. Maybe Washington believe he'll help them get Rosen.
How would Keenum having had played for Kliff mean anything to Rosen? Honest question. That doesn't...really add up, IMHO.  

I’m not sure why Rosen is getting so much love in here. I can agree that the entire Cards offense looked horrible last year, but Rosen really showed nothing to make me think he could be a good NFL QB. All the other rookies last year won some games on their own, or at least had some stretches where they looked good and composed. Rosen really didn’t show anything.

I am fine with the Cards moving on from him. I think a third round pick is light, but if I was a Skins or Broncos fan, I wouldn’t be so happy if I heard we were getting Rosen.

I’m not sure why Rosen is getting so much love in here. I can agree that the entire Cards offense looked horrible last year, but Rosen really showed nothing to make me think he could be a good NFL QB. All the other rookies last year won some games on their own, or at least had some stretches where they looked good and composed. Rosen really didn’t show anything.

I am fine with the Cards moving on from him. I think a third round pick is light, but if I was a Skins or Broncos fan, I wouldn’t be so happy if I heard we were getting Rosen.
THANK YOU

Goff looked like garbage as a rookie too.

I think it is premature to downgrade his value by that much based on his rookie season.

Goff looked like garbage as a rookie too.

I think it is premature to downgrade his value by that much based on his rookie season.
Because we have one example of one QB looking bad as a rookie and good the following year doesn’t mean we should discount all rookie QB’s bad rookie seasons.

Because we have one example of one QB looking bad as a rookie and good the following year doesn’t mean we should discount all rookie QB’s bad rookie seasons.
Well most of those are bad and almost all of them improve. Especially if they get better coaching like Goff did.

Well most of those are bad and almost all of them improve. Especially if they get better coaching like Goff did.
I’m just saying that all the other rookies this year showed something. IMO, Rosen didn’t. He seemed aloof out there, and lost. Again, I know the whole situation was very bad, but he did nothing to improve it.

It will be interesting to see how he does elsewhere. My bet is he doesn’t do very well.

Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Peyton Manning(28 picks), Alex Smith, Eli Manning

I’m just saying that all the other rookies this year showed something. IMO, Rosen didn’t. He seemed aloof out there, and lost. Again, I know the whole situation was very bad, but he did nothing to improve it.

It will be interesting to see how he does elsewhere. My bet is he doesn’t do very well.
You have seen a lot more of Rosen than I have so maybe your right I just think it's too early to judge.

Aside from Mayfield the rookie QB last year were not that much better than Rosen except their running were they?

I'm a bit surprised by the whole thing seems like changing horses in middtream.

Maybe Murray is that great and if that's what they want to do I hope they do a better job selling Rosen than you are. 😁

If the giants liked Rosen wouldn’t they have picked him last year? And he’s certainly lowered his value after a poor rookie season. Seems like a Redskin or Dolphin move to overpay so those look most likely to me. 
Normally I’d agree with your Giants comment but they picked Barkley... One of the safest picks in the draft with great upside. They may have had Rosen #2 on their list.  If they can get him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick I don’t how they don’t do it. 

Sam Darnold and Josh Allen also played behind horrific o-lines, were supported by below average skill players (arguably worse than Arizona) and had poor offensive coaches - yet those guys showed some decent to good/great things on the field along with some struggles - so basically I agree.

Really?  One example?  The NFL history is loaded with successful QB stories who had bad years when they started as rookies. 

How is it that Josh Rosen who was selected 10th overall in last years draft possibly be only worth a 3rd round pick one year later?

Josh Rosen in my view would easily be the 2nd best QB of this draft class (if you have Murray ahead of him) and therefore is worth a 1st round pick.
When a team gets to observe him first-hand for a year and decides to ditch him, that causes other teams to update their priors.

Sam Darnold and Josh Allen also played behind horrific o-lines, were supported by below average skill players (arguably worse than Arizona) and had poor offensive coaches - yet those guys showed some decent to good/great things on the field along with some struggles - so basically I agree.
Josh Rosen 14 games    13 starts    217 completions    393 attempts    55.2%    2278 yards    11 TD    14 int    4.8 AY/A    66.7 rating    45 sacks    320 yards    10.3 SK%
Sam Darnold 13 games    13 starts    239 completions    414 attempts    57.7%    2865 yards    17 TD    15 Int    6.1 AY/A    77.6 rating    30 sacks    204 yards     6.8 SK%
Josh Allen 12 games    11 starts    169 completions    320 attempts    52.8%    2074 yards    10 TD    12 Int    5.4 AY/A    67.9 rating    28 sacks    213 yards     8.0 SK%

The main difference in their play that I see from these numbers is that Rosen was sacked a lot more than the other two.

Josh Rosen 14 games    13 starts    217 completions    393 attempts    55.2%    2278 yards    11 TD    14 int    4.8 AY/A    66.7 rating    45 sacks    320 yards    10.3 SK%
Sam Darnold 13 games    13 starts    239 completions    414 attempts    57.7%    2865 yards    17 TD    15 Int    6.1 AY/A    77.6 rating    30 sacks    204 yards     6.8 SK%
Josh Allen 12 games    11 starts    169 completions    320 attempts    52.8%    2074 yards    10 TD    12 Int    5.4 AY/A    67.9 rating    28 sacks    213 yards     8.0 SK%

The main difference in their play that I see from these numbers is that Rosen was sacked a lot more than the other two.
Darnold and Allen got much better as the season progressed, I am not sure that Rosen did (although I admittedly did not follow him as closely).

I'm not saying that the book is closed on Rosen and that he's a bust, but the narrative that he struggled while the other rookies looked competent because his situation was so much worse when compared to the others is false. The Jets or Bills don't have anyone close to Larry Fitzgerald or David Johnson on their roster and all three offensive lines were putrid, the difference being Darnold and Allen were better equipped to avoid the rush as they're more athletic than Rosen.

Darnold and Allen got much better as the season progressed, I am not sure that Rosen did (although I admittedly did not follow him as closely).

I'm not saying that the book is closed on Rosen and that he's a bust, but the narrative that he struggled while the other rookies looked competent because his situation was so much worse when compared to the others is false. The Jets or Bills don't have anyone close to Larry Fitzgerald or David Johnson on their roster and all three offensive lines were putrid, the difference being Darnold and Allen were better equipped to avoid the rush as they're more athletic than Rosen.

Can't say I watched every snap, but I watched most of his 1st couple starts and I thought Rosen looked pretty good when he first got on the field. He seemed to be standing in the pocket making good throws under pressure in his first couple games. He did have several bad drops, including 3 probably TDs. Link with GIFs

I assume he got worse as the season went on as the hits started piling up. I'm not sure what that means for his value going forward, but he did show good traits early, and then I think you're correct he didn't progress much.

Josh Rosen 14 games    13 starts - 45 sacks    320 yards    10.3 SK%

Sam Darnold 13 games    13 starts - 30 sacks    204 yards     6.8 SK%

Josh Allen 12 games    11 starts - 28 sacks    213 yards     8.0 SK%

The main difference in their play that I see from these numbers is that Rosen was sacked a lot more than the other two.
The top pass rush defense based on sacks per game last year was Pittsburgh who averaged 3.2 sacks per game. 

Rosen was sacked 3.4 times per game on the year.  Statistically the defenses he faced ranked 7th in terms of pass rush 

Darnold was sacked 2.30 times per game,  Statistically he faced the 14th easiest schedule of pass rush teams.  

Josh Allen was sacked 2.33 times per game.  Statistically he faced the 16th or average easiest pass rush.

Baker Mayfield was sacked 1.78 times per game.  Statistically he faced the 4th toughest pass rush.. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the final 3 games

•  Rosen was sacked at an average of 5.33 times per game
  • Darnold 3 times per game
  • Allen and Mayfield were sacked .667 times per game
On the the year Rosen got sacked at a rate higher than the best sacking defense in the league.  His pass protection got worse and fell apart over the final 3 games. 

Rosen's QB passer rating was 80 when throwing from a clean pocket.  

Really?  One example?  The NFL history is loaded with successful QB stories who had bad years when they started as rookies. 

There’s a difference between a bad year and looking like a complete bust. As I said, all the other rookie QB’s had their issues last year, but none looked like a bust except Rosen. It’s rare that a QB goes from looking as bad as Goff and Rosen and really turns it around. 

Goff did it with a coaching change so everyone thinks Rosen will too. It’s not that easy.

Users who are viewing this thread