What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Rosen, MIN (3 Viewers)

According to Joel Klatt of Fox Sports, three teams are "very interested" in acquiring Josh Rosen from the Cardinals.

Those three teams are the Chargers, Giants and Patriots. It makes sense as Philip Rivers, Tom Brady and Eli Manning are all nearing the finish line and Rosen would be an ideal successor for any of the three. Per Klatt, one team has already offered Arizona a second-round pick for Rosen, though the Cardinals are apparently holding out for a first-rounder. With newly-minted coach Kliff Kingsbury making no effort to hide his infatuation with reigning Heisman-winner Kyler Murray, the Cardinals may not have much leverage in trade discussions. Rosen labored through a difficult rookie season in 2018, though coaching turnover and a weak supporting cast were at least partially to blame for his struggles. The 22-year-old would probably benefit from a change of scenery.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, New York Giants

, Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Undisputed on Twitter

Mar 27, 2019, 2:37 PM

Closest I can think of is the Bucs taking Steve Young #1 in the 84 supplemental of USFL players then taking Vinny in 87 at #1. Bucs thought Young was a bust after only 2 seasons. But yeah, they got rid of him to make room for Vinny. The best thing that could've happened to him. Rosen to the Chargers makes too much sense. I'm not even high on Rosen, but it seems like a no brainer for both teams if AZ is sold on Kyler.
Aikman - Steve Walsh. 

NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell said he would rather have Arizona Cardinals QB Josh Rosen than Ohio State Dwayne Haskins.

It seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point that the Arizona Cardinals will select Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray No. 1 overall and trade last year's first-round pick Josh Rosen. Cosell not only prefers Rosen because he's a "cleaner thrower of the football" but when factoring in cost he also makes more sense. "if I’m the Giants and I could give up a two and get Rosen, I would absolutely do it." Acquiring Rosen for a second-round pick and still having two firsts in 2019 to surround him with talent seems like an optimal decision. Optimizing a team hasn't been Giants GM Dave Gettleman's specialty so far, but he has a chance to prove otherwise in the upcoming weeks. Haskins' landing spot and draft position could be heavily impacted by the trade for Josh Rosen.

SOURCE: New York Daily News

Mar 30, 2019, 12:43 PM

I didn't watch any of Rosen's games last season, but did he really look so bad that suddenly he's worse than guys like Lock or Jones? I was under the impression that all of the first round qbs from last season were held in much higher regard than this class.

I didn't watch any of Rosen's games last season, but did he really look so bad that suddenly he's worse than guys like Lock or Jones? I was under the impression that all of the first round qbs from last season were held in much higher regard than this class.

That’s got nothing to do with it.  If AZ is committed to taking Murray then they’ve lost some leverage on Rosen’s trade value.  Other teams understand that so they aren’t going to offer premium value.

That’s got nothing to do with it.  If AZ is committed to taking Murray then they’ve lost some leverage on Rosen’s trade value.  Other teams understand that so they aren’t going to offer premium value.
Plus the team that trades for him already loses a year of his rookie contract, which has value.

Josh Rosen 4 year rookie deal>>>>>>>>>any of these QBs on a 5 year deal, especially after Murray

If that were true, you would have seen the trade for a 1st rounder consumated well before now.  There is some very real unknowns whether Rosen, Murray, or Haskins has the best career.  If it is the slam dunk you seem to think it is, someone would have stepped up - especially teams on the backside of the first round.

If that were true, you would have seen the trade for a 1st rounder consumated well before now.  There is some very real unknowns whether Rosen, Murray, or Haskins has the best career.  If it is the slam dunk you seem to think it is, someone would have stepped up - especially teams on the backside of the first round.
why give what hes worth when his current team has lost practically most of its leverage? 

why give what hes worth when his current team has lost practically most of its leverage? 

Because there are multiple teams competing for Rosen.  If the talent gap were as wide as you seem to think it is, someone would have stepped up already.  AZ devalued Rosen by showing serious interest in Murray, but if Rosen were truly that head and shoulders above all the QBs in this class (or all but one) that devaluation would have been minimal.

Because there are multiple teams competing for Rosen.  If the talent gap were as wide as you seem to think it is, someone would have stepped up already.  AZ devalued Rosen by showing serious interest in Murray, but if Rosen were truly that head and shoulders above all the QBs in this class (or all but one) that devaluation would have been minimal.
I think Arizona is trying to get too much, and they have at least 1 offer on the table and are waiting it out to see who caves first. 

Yes, if he is better than Haskins then a team should be easily willing to give up a top 10 pick

I think Arizona is trying to get too much, and they have at least 1 offer on the table and are waiting it out to see who caves first. 

Yes, if he is better than Haskins then a team should be easily willing to give up a top 10 pick

I don’t know if it’s that they’re trying to get too much.  As the draft nears and then starts, there will be a couple of teams realizing that they have a choice of Lock/Jones or they can instead opt to Rosen.  That’s when I think AZ will get its optimal value.  They can afford to wait.  I would be hard pressed to believe that on day 2 that someone wouldn’t put up a 2nd rounder for Rosen, and that’s the offer on the table (allegedly) right now.

It’s a gamble, but what’s the worst thing that happens?  They get stuck for a year with 2 good young QBs and let them compete with each other and choose the better of the two to move forward with?

According to SNY's Ralph Vacchiano, the Giants aren't sure if they prefer Josh Rosen to the quarterbacks available in this year's draft.

This comes on the heels of a report from Fox Sports' Joel Klatt that New York is one of at least three teams interested in Rosen, who would be expendable if the Cardinals draft Kyler Murray as many expect. While nothing is set in stone, new coach Kliff Kingsbury is a long-time admirer of Murray, who he sees as a strong fit for his Air-Raid offense. Despite an underwhelming rookie campaign, Rosen still has first-round pedigree and would be a logical replacement for over-the-hill Eli Manning. So far, the Giants have shown minimal interest in both Murray, who they feel is too short, and immobile Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

SOURCE: SNY

Mar 31, 2019, 8:10 AM

I'm not really seeing how Arizona has lost any leverage by showing interest in Murray, or even if they take Murray. QB is an entirely different animal than other positions, and Murray and Rosen combined would still make less than half of a lot of starting QB's. They can absolutely sit tight, and wait for a 1st rounder.

On a somewhat related note, when it comes to teams having to decide to draft a QB, or attempt to trade for Rosen, I think Rosen wins almost every comparison. Maybe not Haskins, though I slightly prefer Rosen to Haskins, especially if he can be had for a late 1st, or 2020 1st.

When it comes to guys like Lock, or especially Jones, I don't even see an argument for them over Rosen. Frankly, I don't know what makes either of them better than Will Grier, for that matter, who is projected anyway from early round 2, to early round 4.

Unless teams don't think Rosen has the talent, I don't know why AZ would NOT wait until at least very close to the draft to accept an offer. With AZ taking Murray, and NYG likely to take Haskins,  WAS is wandering around without a starting QB and there are at least 6 or 8 other teams  (MIA, CIN, NE, OAK, LAC, DEN, PIT?, NO?) in serious need of a QB to groom as a their future starter. Each of these to-be-groomed kids needs to have at least the high upside of being a, NFL franchise QB. As it becomes clear that Murray and Haskins are gone, the other several teams are going to more clearly and see that Lock and Jones are going to cost them their 1st this year, and likely a good bit more to trade up. Rosen at a cheaper price? If two take Lock and Jones, that leaves at least 7 teams looking to next year in a class that may have 2 great QBs, maybe even 3 or 4, but those will all cost 1st rounders plus probably another chunk to move up into the 2020 star QB derby. It gets very speculative and will get very expensive very quickly. 

In that climate and with that need, I would be glad to give up my later 1st this year for Rosen instead of waiting for next year to compete with 6 or 7 or more teams for whatever that class brings to the table - particularly if I am the Pats or Chargers or Steelers and know my next year's first won't bring me squat without trading a fortune to move way up. 

Looking at that future, Rosen begins to look extremely cheap as a 1st rounder, even with the uncertainty in his first year. Discount QBs rookie years in bad offenses! If I were AZ, I'd be watching what develops (and thinking that an early 1st or late first plus may show up) at least until the draft begins. 

I don’t know if it’s that they’re trying to get too much.  As the draft nears and then starts, there will be a couple of teams realizing that they have a choice of Lock/Jones or they can instead opt to Rosen.  That’s when I think AZ will get its optimal value.  They can afford to wait.  I would be hard pressed to believe that on day 2 that someone wouldn’t put up a 2nd rounder for Rosen, and that’s the offer on the table (allegedly) right now.

It’s a gamble, but what’s the worst thing that happens?  They get stuck for a year with 2 good young QBs and let them compete with each other and choose the better of the two to move forward with? 
That's exactly it, except I think their threshold here is a 1st.  They have little to lose by keeping him.  QB's are the most precious commodity in the NFL, there's zero reason to move him cheap. 

In the most recent PFF YouTube posting they discussed Josh Rosen and his current worth.  The main guy, have no idea what his name is, said he did not feel Rosen had a final grade based on  last year and said other NFL QBs that struggled their rookie seasons and went onto solid careers so he referenced their predraft college grades and the ones who struggled but went on to successful careers had high college grades.  

Josh Rosen  had a high PFF grade.

Todd McShay posted his current grades of how he put this year's QB class in with other 'current' grades and he had Rosen with a top-ten grade.

McShay's QB grades: 2019 NFL draft class vs. first-rounders since 2016

Note: The "as a prospect" blurbs are how we viewed each player coming out of college. The grades are from my final evaluations before they were drafted.

Josh Rosen, Arizona Cardinals(2018)

Pre-draft ranking: No. 9 overall

As a prospect: "Accuracy, touch and timing are his best traits. He throws from a balanced base and gets the ball out on time. He lacks ideal mobility, and turnovers have been an issue (26 INTs and seven fumbles lost in 30 starts), but the reality is that Rosen carries an elite grade based solely on his tape. If a quarterback-needy team at the top of the draft passes on Rosen, it will have everything to do with concerns regarding his durability and football character."

In the NFL: Rosen won just three of his 13 starts in 2018 and threw three more interceptions than touchdowns on the year. His first season in the NFL didn't have many highlights, but he also was victim to a weak supporting cast in Arizona. With trade rumors already starting for the former UCLA quarterback, Rosen might soon have a change of scenery.
If you were curious, here are how he has three of the QBs from this draft class ranked.

-----------------

GRADE: 90

Kyler Murray, Oklahoma (2019)

Current ranking for 2019: No. 12 overall

----------------

Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State (2019)

Current ranking for 2019: No. 13 overall

---------------

GRADE: 89

Drew Lock, Missouri (2019)

Current ranking for 2019: No. 18 overall

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the link to see which others McShay gave high grades to and where they rank compared to Rosen and other pre-draft QB grades.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Redskins are "doing genuine due diligence" on Josh Rosen.

Washington will possibly get back Alex Smith in 2020 and brought in Case Keenum as a stopgap, but their quarterback situation is far from settled. Given that uncertainty, trading for last year's No. 10 overall pick on a team friendly deal would be an excellent move if the price is right. Rosen has also been linked with the Giants, Chargers, and Patriots.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Apr 2, 2019, 7:43 AM

By my count, I see 8 teams that SHOULD be interested in Rosen

Broncos, Dolphins, Ravens, Bengals, Steelers, Jaguars, Titans, Redskins

Some are questionable like the Broncos or Steelers who have "their guy" right now, but Flacco is a backup at this point and Ben could retire any second.  I wonder if Elway is kicking himself that he could of had Rosen instead of Flacco.  He's a pocket passer after all.  

Some are questionable like the Broncos or Steelers who have "their guy" right now, but Flacco is a backup at this point and Ben could retire any second.  I wonder if Elway is kicking himself that he could of had Rosen instead of Flacco.  He's a pocket passer after all.  
What about the Giants?

The reality is that every team in the league should be inquiring to find out the asking price.  Taking him on just to flip him later for a profit should be pursued.

The reality is that every team in the league should be inquiring to find out the asking price.  Taking him on just to flip him later for a profit should be pursued.
Definitely, but I think your missing that teams with good incumbent QB's would pay what I assume is a high price for him.  If he was just available for a 2nd rounder, I can't imagine a team that wouldn't make that deal, even if they had Aaron Rodgers for example.  That's a huge win to show him off in pre-season and add the "he learned behind Rodgers" card to Rosen's resume when shopping him again the year after.  But the price is likely higher than that to sway teams with good starters in place out of that running.  Wherever he goes or even if he stays, I really like his outlook for the future.  He showed one hell of a lot for his team when his coach was in WAY over his head.  

Redskins should offer their 1st, 3rd for Rosen and Ari 3rd........
Seems like if you value Rosen at 1.16 or 1.17 you make that deal if you're Washington. 

That slot is not as far off as your deal sounded to me at first.  

Per Pro-Football-Reference's draft calculator/table, Washington's first pick is worth 1050 points and their 3rd is worth 210

AZ's third is worth 265, leaving us with 995, which is around 1.16-1.17. 

eta* edited for clarity and why I ran the numbers. Thanks for the compliment, Milkman. Good work on the hypo.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like you value Rosen at 1.16 or 1.17 if you make that deal if you're Washington. 

That's not as far off as your deal sounded.  

Per Pro-Football-Reference's draft calculator/table, Washington's pick is worth 1050 points and their 3rd is worth 210

AZ's third is worth 265, leaving us with 995, which is around 1.16-1.17. 
Awesome info! Thanks! I like Rosen and think it makes sense for the Skins to trade for him. They could win the NFC East next year if he's their starting QB imo......

This is definitely a unique situation. I am sure I am forgetting, but I don’t remember a first round QB getting dealt immediately after his rookie year. With QBs being so valuable even if the Cards draft Murray keeping Rosen is not a bad idea if they can’t get what they want in trade. In fact his value could increase if he shows progress in preseason and how he handles the competition. 

I would be pretty happy if the Skins moved a 2nd and future 4-6th rounder for Rosen. I think its unlikely Smith plays again, or at least at a level we'd want. And clearly the rest of the QBs on the roster are career backups. Now they just need to draft a #1 WR in the first and have better luck with injuries this year and they might look like a real NFL team (that has a clown of a GM and owner ;)

I would be pretty happy if the Skins moved a 2nd and future 4-6th rounder for Rosen. I think its unlikely Smith plays again, or at least at a level we'd want. And clearly the rest of the QBs on the roster are career backups. Now they just need to draft a #1 WR in the first and have better luck with injuries this year and they might look like a real NFL team (that has a clown of a GM and owner ;)
I think that would be a really good deal for the Skins. If that deal's on the table, I would imagine that the only reason AZ hasn't taken it is that they're trying to pry the Pats' first or the Giants' second.  

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 21m21 minutes ago

Despite being the subject of rampant trade speculation, Arizona QB Josh Rosen is expected to report to and participate in the start of the Cardinals’ off-season workout program on Monday. Some players who have been subject of trade speculation have declined to report to workouts.

Plus, the Cardinals still have not engaged in active trade discussions to date on Josh Rosen. Other teams have asked about him, but to date, the Cardinals have not shown a willingness to trade him. To date....

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 21m21 minutes ago

Despite being the subject of rampant trade speculation, Arizona QB Josh Rosen is expected to report to and participate in the start of the Cardinals’ off-season workout program on Monday. Some players who have been subject of trade speculation have declined to report to workouts.

Plus, the Cardinals still have not engaged in active trade discussions to date on Josh Rosen. Other teams have asked about him, but to date, the Cardinals have not shown a willingness to trade him. To date....
Good move by him. Put your head down and work on becoming a good QB. No matter the situation he is still collecting a decent check, might as well keep progressing.

Users who are viewing this thread