Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Josh Rosen, Dolphins

I got offered pick 19 for Rosen in a 1qb league. I'm intending to accept it if I get Murray at 11. The only reason I haven't accepted now is that it will reduce my chances of getting Murray, because it'll be more obvious I'm after him and I know the 2 picks behind me are both eying him.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:54 PM, Slapdash said:

Interesting article.  I'm sympathetic because I have also clashed with people in my career because I always need to know the "why" 

Been managing employees for 30 years, “why” guys don’t last long unless they bring much more to the table. Which is usually not the case.

19 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Been managing employees for 30 years, “why” guys don’t last long unless they bring much more to the table. Which is usually not the case.

Luckily I have.  Jury is still out on Josh.  Has a strong arm, but does he have the mentality

On 5/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, Dr. Dan said:

In one of my leagues, where we do not get penalized for INTs, the "Miami QB" scored only 30 fantasy points less on the season than Dak Prescott, who is considered by many to be a low end QB1 heading into 2019 (he finished, I think, QB16 in this league last year).

This seems rather meaningless for a lot of reasons.

13 hours ago, jtd13 said:

I got offered pick 19 for Rosen in a 1qb league. I'm intending to accept it if I get Murray at 11. The only reason I haven't accepted now is that it will reduce my chances of getting Murray, because it'll be more obvious I'm after him and I know the 2 picks behind me are both eying him.

Why would trading for Rosen make it more obvious you would want to draft Murray? And in a 1QB league it seems both moves (trading the pick and drafting Murray that high) aren’t all that great value anyway.

10 hours ago, JetMaxx said:

If you don’t have “why guys” your business/company never evolves.  You need to have people to question things or things never change. 

Edited to add... I work in the sciences and if you aren’t a “why guy” you don’t last long.  

Edited by Boone22
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Why would trading for Rosen make it more obvious you would want to draft Murray? And in a 1QB league it seems both moves (trading the pick and drafting Murray that high) aren’t all that great value anyway.

He would be trading Rosen away for pick 19.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:12 PM, JetMaxx said:

I suppose that depends on the nature of the employee base, but I've found just the opposite in tech.  "why" guys are big picture people - they need to know how the aspect they are being exposed to affects the overall plan so they can contribute to it or mitigate failures.  They may need to learn to balance the education with production, but I wouldn't want employees that are just satisfied with pushing their buttons and clocking out on time.  Give me those hungry to learn and understand any day because once they do they prove invaluable.

Same at QB.  I can't imagine a QB that doesn't need to know as much as possible about what he's doing - I imagine it looks like Jay Cutler just going through the motions.  If a play is designed to isolate a poor coverage safety on a TE, you don't want your QB bailing on that read or checking down at the first sign of trouble.  If the play call is supposed to hit a certain gap but the defense aligns into a counter, you have to understand that play won't work and audible to something else.

43 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I suppose that depends on the nature of the employee base, but I've found just the opposite in tech.  "why" guys are big picture people - they need to know how the aspect they are being exposed to affects the overall plan so they can contribute to it or mitigate failures.  They may need to learn to balance the education with production, but I wouldn't want employees that are just satisfied with pushing their buttons and clocking out on time.  Give me those hungry to learn and understand any day because once they do they prove invaluable.

Same at QB.  I can't imagine a QB that doesn't need to know as much as possible about what he's doing - I imagine it looks like Jay Cutler just going through the motions.  If a play is designed to isolate a poor coverage safety on a TE, you don't want your QB bailing on that read or checking down at the first sign of trouble.  If the play call is supposed to hit a certain gap but the defense aligns into a counter, you have to understand that play won't work and audible to something else.

I agree to a certain extent. But I also find that usually the people who “brag” about being “why” guys are also the ones who are just slow to pick things up that’s their crutch. 

I’m fine with people asking questions. But they better be contributing and coming up with some ideas too.

I'm guessing this time next year Rosen is not on my roster. I just see a scenario where hes traded again or Miami drafts a qb

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm guessing this time next year Rosen is not on my roster. I just see a scenario where hes traded again or Miami drafts a qb

I’m guessing he’s not going to be on very many rosters at all next year. People will start giving up around week 8 or 9 this year.

12 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

Sounds to me like Josh Rosen is an awesome buy low candidate right now.  

I'd probably sell, but at this point the price anyone would pay wouldnt be worth it. I'll hold and hold out hope. Once we see him actually play I think we will have a better idea of who he is 

On 5/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, jtd13 said:

That trade sounds like a no brainer

On 5/24/2019 at 10:12 PM, JetMaxx said:

Huh.  I earned my way into management and have been there for 2 decades.  I like the “why” guys.  Those guys want to know about how it works, not just doing it because it’s what they are told to do.  The greatest hinderance in increased productivity that I’ve experienced is the guys further up the ladder who respond to the “why” guys with “because we’ve never done it another way before”.  They reject alternatives and stifle creativity for no other reason than it’s outside their comfort zone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skeletore Eh said:

That trade sounds like a no brainer

It isn't. No one is available at 19 in this draft that makes it worthwhile to lessen my chances of getting Murray at 11, IMO. If the guy backs out after I pick at 11, I don't think I missed out on much. 

3 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

Huh.  I earned my way into management and have been there for 2 decades.  I like the “why” guys.  Those guys want to know about how it works, not just doing it because it’s what they are told to do.  The greatest hinderance in increased productivity that I’ve experienced is the guys further up the ladder who respond to the “why” guys with “because we’ve never done it another way before”.  They reject alternatives and stifle creativity for no other reason than it’s outside their comfort zone.

Thus the “unless they bring more to the table” caveat. Why guys that are assets are a rare breed, whereas why guys that are self absorbed jerks that just want to stir the pot are a dime a dozen.

3 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Thus the “unless they bring more to the table” caveat. Why guys that are assets are a rare breed, whereas why guys that are self absorbed jerks that just want to stir the pot are a dime a dozen.

We must work in very different fields.  Some of the guys who are real hindrances in my work are those who don’t ask questions but instead just go along to get along.  One of the first things I teach my young engineers, drafters, and field people is that no one is born with the required knowledge and the only dumb questions are the ones you don’t ask.  Not being safe and not questioning are really the two things from my people that really get my hackles up.

3 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

We must work in very different fields.  Some of the guys who are real hindrances in my work are those who don’t ask questions but instead just go along to get along.  One of the first things I teach my young engineers, drafters, and field people is that no one is born with the required knowledge and the only dumb questions are the ones you don’t ask.  Not being safe and not questioning are really the two things from my people that really get my hackles up.

But at some point you expect people to know things. I’m fine with questions, but you better perform and not just be the “why guy.”

1 minute ago, kutta said:

But at some point you expect people to know things. I’m fine with questions, but you better perform and not just be the “why guy.”

Huh.  I rely on and encourage feedback from my people.  I don’t ever want a person working for me who is uncomfortable questioning.  The times I dealing with those you are describing are the we’ve-never-done-it-that-way-before people.  They learn to get up to speed pretty quickly, but they seem to be the exception.

9 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Huh.  I rely on and encourage feedback from my people.  I don’t ever want a person working for me who is uncomfortable questioning.  The times I dealing with those you are describing are the we’ve-never-done-it-that-way-before people.  They learn to get up to speed pretty quickly, but they seem to be the exception.

I guess we have different experiences. There’s a fine line between asking for the sake of asking and figuring stuff out for yourself.

48 minutes ago, kutta said:

I guess we have different experiences. There’s a fine line between asking for the sake of asking and figuring stuff out for yourself.

:goodposting:The fine line thing is exactly what I thought.

5 hours ago, jtd13 said:

It isn't. No one is available at 19 in this draft that makes it worthwhile to lessen my chances of getting Murray at 11, IMO. If the guy backs out after I pick at 11, I don't think I missed out on much. 

Why not make the trade now and use the extra capital to move up and get Murray ?

I would put the chances of him falling to 1.11 at less than 50%.

If you identify a guy you really want you go and get him.

The Miami Herald reports Ryan Fitzpatrick has consistently outplayed Josh Rosen in practice thus far.

That's per reporter Barry Jackson, who also notes that it is Fitzpatrick who continues to receive the first first-team reps. Jackson does not report that Rosen has played poorly, just that Fitzpatrick has been better. There is no guarantee the Dolphins force Rosen under center for Week 1, but regardless of how Fitzpatrick plays, Rosen is going to make a number of 2019 starts.

RELATED: 

Ryan Fitzpatrick

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Jun 4, 2019, 4:08 PM ET