Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Josh Rosen, Dolphins

Coach Brian Flores said the starting quarterback situation is "settled" and Josh Rosen will start the remainder of the season.

Flores said he likes the progress he's seen from Rosen the last few weeks and is ready to roll with him the rest of 2019 barring injury. Rosen has started the last two games and is 35-of-63 for 380 yards and a 1:1 TD:INT mark. Week 6 against the similarly-awful Redskins might be Rosen's best shot of the season to reach 300-plus yards and multiple touchdowns.

SOURCE: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 11:17 AM ET

• Laughing 1

27 minutes ago, Faust said:

One post above:

On 10/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, Faust said:

Flores said he likes the progress he's seen from Rosen the last few weeks and is ready to roll with him the rest of 2019 barring injury.

Should have said "...barring injury or inevitable poor performance because he is Josh Rosen."

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

The Dolphins prematurely made Josh Rosen a starter before he was ready. He struggled for three games and Brian Flores pulled the plug before defenses REALLY created a book on him. As a former defensive coordinator Flores know what was coming. He saved Rosen from bottoming out.

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

Anyone who has seen Josh Rosen practice knows he’s not an NFL starter. He doesn’t process what he sees fast enough. Bottom line.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, [scooter] said:

One post above:

Should have said "...barring injury or inevitable poor performance because he is Josh Rosen."

GM Chris Grier is on the hot seat for giving up a late 2nd for Rosen. Josh makes some wow throws, which is why he may have been drafted with the 10th overall pick. But he doesn't see the field or have good pocket presence. He would need a great oline and good weapons to succeed, like the Rams of 2017 & 2018. Apparently no other team was interested. 

Going further on Grier, he apparently overruled owner Ross' preference in the 2018 draft for Lamar Jackson, who would've made more of a splash.

Rosen has played two seasons behind historically bad offensive lines.

Last season Arizona has 7 offensive linemen go on IR, to include all 5 starters

PFF ranked the Dolphins OL as the worst in the league before the season started.  That rank was given when Tunsil was still on the team too.  They've changed their start starting OL lineup 5 times in 5 games. I think they also have the worst average draft position starting OL in the league in the well. 

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

PFF ranked the Dolphins OL as the worst in the league before the season started.  That rank was given when Tunsil was still on the team too.  They've changed their start starting OL lineup 5 times in 5 games. I think they also have the worst average draft position starting OL in the league in the well. 

Add to the fact that he has played for 3-13 Steve Wilks and now 0-5 Brian Flores as his head coaches. 

I'm not saying the kid is good or will become good, but how can anyone be accurately evaluated considering the above. 

The barometer in Miami is that he couldn't beat out Fitzpatrick in practice or in the preseason. But Fitzpatrick has game, so maybe  that's not fair. The local reporters said he had trouble picking up the offense.  In real games, he hasn't been good at looking off defenders, reading defenses or avoiding sacks. As you state, his olines have been horrible. In addition, the skill position talent has been below average, except for DJ in Arizona. He'll probably start some games later in the year, but he's likely an NFL backup QB. Fitzpatrick has a 2 year contract, maybe he'll be the mentor to Miami's QB of the future.

13 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

GM Chris Grier is on the hot seat for giving up a late 2nd for Rosen. Josh makes some wow throws, which is why he may have been drafted with the 10th overall pick. But he doesn't see the field or have good pocket presence. He would need a great oline and good weapons to succeed, like the Rams of 2017 & 2018. Apparently no other team was interested. 

Going further on Grier, he apparently overruled owner Ross' preference in the 2018 draft for Lamar Jackson, who would've made more of a splash.

I think Miami traded down or something with New Orleans prior. I would have to look but it felt like on Draft Night that Miami got him for a swan and he also is low salary and a back up that could blossom in a year or two. 

We've seen franchises take QBs #1 or top5 overall and somehow it's the back up, the guy who was a 3rd rounder like Kirk Cousins who ends up being the better pick. 

Hard to evaluate Rosen with such a terrible team around him. 

Edit to add: Pieced the trade details...

So we lost a 2nd, 4th and 2020 5th, 

We got back Rosen a 6th and a 2020 2nd.

2nd vs 2020 2nd-wash....4th vs a 6th-Not huge deal, and Future 5th vs Josh Rosen...we got him cheap. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

This is a fair observation for those of us who are third party observers.  But it's worth noting that two different coaching staffs have gotten to work with Rosen day-in day-out and have independently concluded that he's not the guy.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 4:59 PM, wgoldsph said:

I'd like to add negative 1 points for ints and fumbles lost.   The final tally is based on the  cumulative fantasy points gained during the 2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons.

Just making sure we are still tracking this. I have Daniel Jones and Haskins (whoever scores more); you have Rosen. Bet is as stated above for $100.

I may win this bet with just Jones’ stats for this year. Rosen may never see an NFL field again.