What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Amazing Race 36 Thread - Mostly South America Edition *** (1 Viewer)

Ew.

I liked dwil. The pink in his hair, for breast cancer. Dude seemed like a good guy. That was a seriously bad look. 

This season made the Amazing Race look more like Survivor due to the focus on alliances. Its hard to argue with value of the alliance this season as the Me5 alliance made the top 5 and the 3 team alliance made it to the final 3.

You can expect other teams to focus more on these type of alliances in future seasons. But I think AZ will lose viewers if the audience comes to expect that alliance members will always move forward.

Additionally without the alliance the volleyballers would not have finished first. Its hard to know how the strong the teams actually are since the alliances bailed them out when they hit an impasse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pulling for them but ultimately, D’Angelo acted like a baby. 
What a dingleberry, becoming the first one in AR history to be asked about the experience and saying it basically sucked.  :cry:

I guess that he won't be invited back for the next All Star Edition of AR.  :lol:

This season needs a team to hate in the finals.  All of the final four teams are nice and play well together.  It makes me want to puke. 

Moonlight said:
This season made the Amazing Race look more like Survivor due to the focus on alliances. Its hard to argue with value of the alliance this season as the Me5 alliance made the top 5 and the 3 team alliance made it to the final 3.

You can expect other teams to focus more on these type of alliances in future seasons. But I think TAR will lose viewers if the audience comes to expect that alliance members will always move forward.
I follow TAR on FB and you should see the hundreds and hundreds of comments.  99% of them are pissed off and fall into these categories:
 - "I'm done with this season.......i've watched every season, but i'm not watching the finale or another season anymore"
- "They should just call this Big Brother Outside, as this is no longer a fair race"
- "the way the alliance is acting is cheating"............."this is like watching a schoolyard bullying session or the movie Mean Girls"
- "Footballers wouldn't have ever made it this far if not for alliance giving them answers in previous episodes"
- "Hope the TAR producers are reading these comments make changes to the game.  Wonder if TAR was apprehensive in airing this season knowing it would produce negative feedback"
- "The challenges have become less physical.
- "TAR should amend some of the challenges, especially the ones that involve providing an answer to move on (such as Sauerkraut or the flag one).  They should amend the clues to say "place your bags in the dropoff spot" and that dropoff spot should be strategically placed near the exit.   Then, the clue should also say "upon successfully completing the challenge, you must immediately grab your bags and exit the challenge". 

I'm not against alliances as it's hard to make an outright rule that prevents some teams from working together, but this would prevent SOME of the blatant alliance helping where someone figures out the challenge and then quickly passes along the answer.
and i also miss the FAST FORWARD where a team or 2 would consider whether it was worth going for to try to get ahead of the pack.

Not a fan of the alliances at all.  I'd be all for taking away the ability to share answers with other teams, although I realize it would be hard to enforce.

I'll be rooting for the Beards and against the boyfriends in the finale.

Disagree.  I hate the boyfriends.
I agree.  Complete difference in the way the boyfriends and Hung/Chee handled missing the traffic cop.  One was screaming at their driver, one was just going with it and keeping a good attitude.  Really wished the boyfriends lost and Gary/Dwill lucked into the answer (and they almost did with their first attempt) 

One of our favorite shows to watch, there was a special message being sent to us this week as we saw where they were heading in next week's episode as they come back the the States to finish up the race.  👍

I always like DeAngelo when he was a RB in the NFL but I thought he showed a lack of class when he and Gary were eliminated and Gary looked embarrassed. 

"I coulda paid for all this travel, I didn't need the show" and I might be putting some words in his mouth but that was the real gist of his speech at the end, thought that was classless. Wonder if he will even be standing at the end cheering them on once he cools down or calms down. 

I don't get the love for the beards.  I'm Hung/Chee all the way.  
We also are rooting for them since they are married with a family, it's easy to connect with their story I think. The Beards are like a commercial of so many guys in their age range just kind of aimlessly wandering around yet somehow find their path. I wouldn't say they don't work hard but it seems like things come rather easily to them. 

What we want to know is what that short one has on the tall one on the boyfriends team, they could not make a more odd couple than I've seen in some time. The short one is nails on a chalkboard for me. 

I thought the Brother/Sister engineer team was interesting and the Rajin' Cajins(I know they call them something else) were also fun to watch. 

One of our favorite shows to watch, there was a special message being sent to us this week as we saw where they were heading in next week's episode as they come back the the States to finish up the race.  👍

I always like DeAngelo when he was a RB in the NFL but I thought he showed a lack of class when he and Gary were eliminated and Gary looked embarrassed. 

"I coulda paid for all this travel, I didn't need the show" and I might be putting some words in his mouth but that was the real gist of his speech at the end, thought that was classless. Wonder if he will even be standing at the end cheering them on once he cools down or calms down. 
Previews showed him there cheering on the winners.

So disappointed that the Race has come down to working as a group instead of as separate teams.
I didn't like that either or how there were 5 TEAMS in that alliance at one point. And really some of them were complicit more than anything. If you could go back in time...Hung and Chee would have been better off just doing it alone and steering clear of the drama. 

Hung on a couple of occasions does something I find extremely helpful for her partner Chee and that's when she tells him to simply go slow and don't forget or overlook the details. They've done it a couple times that way and it just powers them thru these challenges. 

The bungee jump is coming, the Beards have the advantage on the surface but the way the Boyfriends have been committed prior to being on the show, won't shock me if they have a cut in showing them training or going to bungee jump school weeks before they appeared on the show. 

if you only watched the tv show, they showed you only about 15 seconds of an almost 3 minute conversation with the football players.  Watch the whole discussion, it has a much different tone than the tiny clip we were shown.

So disappointed that the Race has come down to working as a group instead of as separate teams.
I didn't like that either or how there were 5 TEAMS in that alliance at one point. And really some of them were complicit more than anything. If you could go back in time...Hung and Chee would have been better off just doing it alone and steering clear of the drama. 

Hung on a couple of occasions does something I find extremely helpful for her partner Chee and that's when she tells him to simply go slow and don't forget or overlook the details. They've done it a couple times that way and it just powers them thru these challenges. 

The bungee jump is coming, the Beards have the advantage on the surface but the way the Boyfriends have been committed prior to being on the show, won't shock me if they have a cut in showing them training or going to bungee jump school weeks before they appeared on the show. 
I've watched every season and yes, there was helping at times before..

But this last episode felt like "cheating" to me.. Giving the answers to one of the toughest challenges ever should of automatically been "Timeout"..

If you skip a challenge and get a 2 hour timeout, then "cheating" to get ahead should be equal to 4 hours..  :shrug:  

At this point, if they don't change the rules, then I'll probably watch the first couple episodes, and if alliances start forming again, stop watching until the finale.

if you only watched the tv show, they showed you only about 15 seconds of an almost 3 minute conversation with the football players.  Watch the whole discussion, it has a much different tone than the tiny clip we were shown.
They D’Angelo dirty on the edit. I take back what I said about him being a baby

Reality competition shows are edited in a way that makes you want to identify with the eventual winner and not their rival(s). By making DeAngelo out to be a sore loser, they are hoping viewers will be less sympathetic to the team that got screwed by the alliance and thus more sympathetic to the team that won $1 million because they were in an alliance.

I don’t think that 15 seconds changed anyone’s opinion of how good the show is. Made him look bad for really no reason
See post above. Also, it was maybe the most sore loser moment they ever showed. They absolutely thought it would make people talk just like happened in here. How many discussions do people usually have on the team that finishes 4th?

Reality competition shows are edited in a way that makes you want to identify with the eventual winner and not their rival(s). By making DeAngelo out to be a sore loser, they are hoping viewers will be less sympathetic to the team that got screwed by the alliance and thus more sympathetic to the team that won $1 million because they were in an alliance.
I agree but would add that DeAngelo was fairly negative throughout a lot of the race. 

This show has :shark:  ...

If you can't complete a challenge on your own you don't deserve to move on.. 
I agree with this 100%.
i can’t stand the use of alliances in this game. It’s ruining the show. 

The final 3 all saying how they belong and how hard they worked to get there. None of them got there on their own. Pathetic. 

I also think Phil isn’t real happy about the alliances either. I hope they rule those out in the coming years. 

I agree with this 100%.
i can’t stand the use of alliances in this game. It’s ruining the show. 

The final 3 all saying how they belong and how hard they worked to get there. None of them got there on their own. Pathetic. 

I also think Phil isn’t real happy about the alliances either. I hope they rule those out in the coming years. 
At the start of the leg Phil said something about "since this is a hard leg, and towards the end I would think twice about helping each other" then when beard bros got to the mat Phil said something about getting help from the others.  I was really hoping he was going to follow that up with "Since I warned you not to get help from the others, you have a 2 hour penalty, take your seat over there and wait".  Then we get to see all their faces as they sit and have to watch Gary and Deangelo finally get to the mat and win the leg.

I was going to cut him some slack because he just got done watching the three other teams in his 'alliance' collaborate to ensure his elimination. I would have been pretty pissed off at the moment, as well.

Why the footballers gave the other teams even an inch of space to discuss things without them being able to overhear is beyond me. When it became obvious that the other three teams were working together, I would have had just one of them carry the cases over to guess, and the other camp out with the rest of the group. And once the beards got the answer right, forget guessing, and just ensure that they can't pass the answer on to the other teams without you hearing (or go look at the cases that they beards brought back, so you at least know the 4 countries). 

Oh, and being able to yield the same team twice on the same leg with just BS. I couldn't believe that was allowed.

The blonds were done wrong.

Not a fan of the alliances at all.  I'd be all for taking away the ability to share answers with other teams, although I realize it would be hard to enforce.

I'll be rooting for the Beards and against the boyfriends in the finale.
I don't get why folks think it would be hard to enforce.  You have a camera guy with them the entire time.  Very easy for said camera guy to let the producers know if something happened.  As long as the racers are informed ahead of time that there absolutely NO working together and if you do you will be disqualified.

I follow TAR on FB and you should see the hundreds and hundreds of comments.  99% of them are pissed off and fall into these categories:
 - "I'm done with this season.......i've watched every season, but i'm not watching the finale or another season anymore"
- "They should just call this Big Brother Outside, as this is no longer a fair race"
- "the way the alliance is acting is cheating"............."this is like watching a schoolyard bullying session or the movie Mean Girls"
- "Footballers wouldn't have ever made it this far if not for alliance giving them answers in previous episodes"
- "Hope the TAR producers are reading these comments make changes to the game.  Wonder if TAR was apprehensive in airing this season knowing it would produce negative feedback"
- "The challenges have become less physical.
- "TAR should amend some of the challenges, especially the ones that involve providing an answer to move on (such as Sauerkraut or the flag one).  They should amend the clues to say "place your bags in the dropoff spot" and that dropoff spot should be strategically placed near the exit.   Then, the clue should also say "upon successfully completing the challenge, you must immediately grab your bags and exit the challenge". 

I'm not against alliances as it's hard to make an outright rule that prevents some teams from working together, but this would prevent SOME of the blatant alliance helping where someone figures out the challenge and then quickly passes along the answer.
and i also miss the FAST FORWARD where a team or 2 would consider whether it was worth going for to try to get ahead of the pack.

See above.
alliances can talk and work together OUTSIDE of the challenges, but there should be a Strong Rule that teams can't help INSIDE the challenges. 
(or just add a rule that if you do help inside a challenge, then the team that provided the help must incur a 15 min penalty.   It would deter teams from giving clues if they know that another team can pass them.....especially the challenge right in front of the pit stop)

EDIT to ADD:    Might be easier to just enforce the "once you have completed the challenge, you can not provide any assistance to another team still in the challenge" rule.  
For example, we see many challenges where 2 teams arrive at a challenge at the same time and they both agree to "work together" and search a cave or in the case of the Ipad virtual challenge (where they had to hold up an Ipad and look at the colorful Prince headgear on an underground wall).......it would be hard to draw the line between 1 team ACTIVELY helping another team vs 1 team PASSIVELY looking over the shoulder of another team. 

agreed.  made deangelo look like a whiny loser.  glad I saw the unedited version.
Yeah, you could tell even in that video that he’s not a big travel guy and that this race wasn’t his thing but the edited version we saw was completely done for shock value. They took the worst part where he was likely the most frustrated and used that.

Not saying that I wouldn’t probably get along with Gary way more but DeAngelo wasn’t an awful person like he was portrayed. The show is absolutely about making the favorites look better and the people who get knocked out look worse. That winner’s edit works both ways.

Wasn’t a big fan of the finale. Really only 1 comp that would either win or lose you the race....unless your taxi takes a “shortcut”. 

Least deserving winner ever. If they hadn't been in the three team alliance they would have been eliminated early on. I sure hope this season doesn't kill the show. I've loved it since the beginning but this season was disappointing on so many levels. Oh well, at least we had the blondes.

Not a lot of drama or tension in the final. it seems like they have a lot of vanilla challenges in the final leg with just one that's hard.

Not a lot of drama or tension in the final. it seems like they have a lot of vanilla challenges in the final leg with just one that's hard.
None of it was hard. The order didn’t change one time from the beginning. Whoever got to the first challenge first won. Really boring and the “scary” jump off the cliff? I mean the clue was literally in your hand as soon as you leaned forward.

Should have made the band thing the finale so there are no more alliances. I hate it when the finale is a joke and it’s all about who had the best taxi to start. Seemed like a decent season but the alliances and another boringly easy finale ruined it.

Least deserving winner ever. If they hadn't been in the three team alliance they would have been eliminated early on. I sure hope this season doesn't kill the show. I've loved it since the beginning but this season was disappointing on so many levels. Oh well, at least we had the blondes.
If I think back, there has been a couple that were worse, but the AnnoyFriends are definitely in the bottom 3!

Users who are viewing this thread