What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark - Netflix series (2 Viewers)

kupcho1

Footballguy
A family saga with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families.

Because you watched Black Mirror ...

Was looking for a new series and popped this one on.  Pretty good 1 episode in.  It is a German series from Netflix, but defaulted to the English dub for me, and tbh, I didn't notice for the first 10 minutes.  Actually pretty good dub for the most part.

Official trailer

The disappearance of two kids in the German small-town of Winden opens abysses that turn the concept of time on its head. The question is not who has kidnapped the children...but when.

Binged this a while ago.  Really enjoyed it and look forward to a second season.  I watched it in German with subtitles.  

I watched the whole thing with the dubbing... thought the voice over work was weak, which distracted from a decent worthwhile show.

ETA... Trying to say, definitely recommend this. And definitely recommend with subtitles, not dubbed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 2 :thumbup:

Loved Mikkel meeting the young version of his mom and dad.  Think 'the stranger' might be Ulrich's brother that went missing in the 80s.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Only 6 episodes in but a pretty big plot hole I can't overlook

This is why I am not crazy about time travel themes because there always plot holes but this one is so big you can drive a Mack truck through it. I am hoping they explain it in the last 4 episodes otherwise it will be pretty hard to ignore. OK so the father who commits suicide in the first episode is Michael. He is actually Mikkel who went through the cave and time traveled back to 1986 as an 11 year old boy, raised by the nurse, and grew up as Michael. I get all that. His wife is Hannah. He met Hannah outside the hospital when he first got there when she was 14. This wasn't a one off meeting because in episode 6 after Jonah read's the note and discovers who his father is he asks his mother when she met dad and she clearly remembers their first meeting. Hannah has always been in love with Ullrich and ends up having an affair with him. Ullrich is Mikkel's father. SHE NEVER ONCE RECOGNIZED MIKKEL?

This is why I am not crazy about time travel themes because there always plot holes but this one is so big you can drive a Mack truck through it. I am hoping they explain it in the last 4 episodes otherwise it will be pretty hard to ignore. OK so the father who commits suicide in the first episode is Michael. He is actually Mikkel who went through the cave and time traveled back to 1986 as an 11 year old boy, raised by the nurse, and grew up as Michael. I get all that. His wife is Hannah. He met Hannah outside the hospital when he first got there when she was 14. This wasn't a one off meeting because in episode 6 after Jonah read's the note and discovers who his father is he asks his mother when she met dad and she clearly remembers their first meeting. Hannah has always been in love with Ullrich and ends up having an affair with him. Ullrich is Mikkel's father. SHE NEVER ONCE RECOGNIZED MIKKEL?
possible answer

Why would she?  (2019 version) Mikkel was born and grew up in her town.  At most she might see a resemblance, but given that it is a very small town, probably not the only resemblance to speak of.  It would be odder if she turned to her husband 10 years after Mikkel was born and said 'hey wait a minute...'

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Why would she?  (2019 version) Mikkel was born and grew up in her town.  At most she might see a resemblance, but given that it is a very small town, probably not the only resemblance to speak of.  It would be odder if she turned to her husband 10 years after Mikkel was born and said 'hey wait a minute...'

resemblance? They were the same person. I don't think the latter would've been odd at all.

Been pimping this as stranger things and back to the Future love child

Really enjoyed this.

Fortunately I watched this with subtitles. 

Thought the show was amazing and I'm not one for the syfy angle but everything was intriguing and well acted.  Awesome cinematography. 

Pretty confusing and looking forward to watching it again.

The only thing I didn't like was the "cliffhanger" ending...felt cliche

But, up until the last 20 seconds the show as a whole was uber interesting, well acted, great scenery/cinematography, dramatic and suspenseful...thoroughly enjoyed it

shadyridr said:
he literally told her the first time they meet that he was from the future

So if some random person you strike up a conversation with today tells you that they are from the future, you automatically believe them? 

:lmao:  

If you want a time travel inconsistency, how could there be two Mikkels at the same time?  Michael was alive and well for 10 or 11 of Mikkel's years on earth.

big fan

and as always for me with really good  subtitled shows, I'm giving this a quick turnaround re-watch so I can focus more on the screen and less on the words. 

So if some random person you strike up a conversation with today tells you that they are from the future, you automatically believe them? 

:lmao:  

If you want a time travel inconsistency, how could there be two Mikkels at the same time?  Michael was alive and well for 10 or 11 of Mikkel's years on earth.
Who said automatically believe them. You said "who thinks of time travel"? If she married someone that looked EXACTLY the same as someone else and that person told you they were from the future the first time they met then perhaps that person could THINK of time travel. That's my point.

But whatever, you obviously love this show so I'll move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I didn't like was the "cliffhanger" ending...felt cliche

But, up until the last 20 seconds the show as a whole was uber interesting, well acted, great scenery/cinematography, dramatic and suspenseful...thoroughly enjoyed it
Well, had to end (or at least stop) somewhere.   Let's see where they go with it in S2.  There are some people in some very interesting places (emotionally and temporally); looking forward to the next 

I'm surprised there's no discussion on this show's second season.  We're thoroughly enjoying it although, like most, we're confused as all hell.  

I'm not sure how to do the hidden comments thing, so if you don't want to see any spoilers, quit reading:

Perhaps you guys can help me wrap my brain around how Elisabeth can be Charlotte's mother and daughter at the same time.  I just don't understand how this is a possibility.  

Similarly, how is it possible for Adam to know that he has to kill Martha in front of his former self in order to become his latter self?  From a linear perspective, he would not exist to know he has to do something before doing it.  

Those feel like a couple of chicken or the egg scenarios to me.  

I'm surprised there's no discussion on this show's second season.  We're thoroughly enjoying it although, like most, we're confused as all hell.  

I'm not sure how to do the hidden comments thing, so if you don't want to see any spoilers, quit reading:

Perhaps you guys can help me wrap my brain around how Elisabeth can be Charlotte's mother and daughter at the same time.  I just don't understand how this is a possibility.  

Similarly, how is it possible for Adam to know that he has to kill Martha in front of his former self in order to become his latter self?  From a linear perspective, he would not exist to know he has to do something before doing it.  

Those feel like a couple of chicken or the egg scenarios to me.  
They explain it as the bootstrap paradox but yeah it doesn't really make much sense. Time travel rarely does. 

I don't know how (or even if -- old guy memory problems) I missed this thread the first time around. Fantastic show through two seasons.

I have questions.

Who did Helge hook up with to father Peter? He's been pretty doofish since he was a child. And who did Claudia hook up with to have Regina? The only romance for her that's been hinted at is a fling with Tronte (Ullrich's father). And what happened to Tronte in the later episodes anyway? He was pal-ing around with Peter in the bunker for a while and then he vanished.

None of these things may mean a thing but I got so deep into understanding all the family relationships that I noticed when there were a couple of missing pieces.

Lol.

I loved this show and still feel like I could rewatch it and have no idea what is coming next.
Me too. For example, the first time I totally missed Hannah making googoo eyes at young Egon when she slipped back into 1954 to torment Ullrich in the pokey. Like, how does that affect things?

Slapdash said:
Egon Tidelman is always such a dope. At every turn.
It's interesting to see a character who should be able to draw conclusions from evidence simply reject the conclusion because the evidence is so preposterous. 

S3E1

Great, all the characters are in different places in Winden Two. And the relationships are different. And there's a new character. And now we're back in 1988 and we don't know if it's Winden One or Two and...

Oof this show is difficult...and awesome!

Three episodes in and at every scene change I hit the stop button and clarify in my mind what date it is, what world it is and where the characters in the scene are originally from.

This is a tough show for us dimwits with bad memories. Still great though.

Watched all of S3 yesterday after re-watching throughout the week. Such a great, complicated show. Adam and Eve certainly took toxic relationships to the next level.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the end when you get there.

Gonna wait 'til I'm done with S3 to read the thread (which will hopefully be Monday), but I can say without hyperbole that the first two seasons were up there with the best television I've seen. Hope more people give it a try, 'cause I feel it's worth way more recognition than it gets.

Abrantes said:
Gonna wait 'til I'm done with S3 to read the thread (which will hopefully be Monday), but I can say without hyperbole that the first two seasons were up there with the best television I've seen. Hope more people give it a try, 'cause I feel it's worth way more recognition than it gets.
Completely agree

Nice. I didn't realize S3 dropped so soon.  We'll likely rewatch the first two seasons although I doubt we'll have any better idea what's going on in S3.  

I expected coming into this season that I would be considering whether this is the best show I ever watched if the final season delivered. That is a spot that Breaking Bad has had ever since it ended. I will say that the shows have some big similarities in that both use the scores really well to drive tension as well as central themes of family and a slow burn to tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread