What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Democratic Primaries (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
Way too soon, but this is the world we live in -- and I thought it better to have one topic covering all of the would-bes instead of starting a new one each time.

Oprah's speech last night seems to be receiving a ton of attention this morning and people are reading it as a sign she'll run.  Which seemed crazy, but she's at 33/1 to be President (as an Independent, apparently -- she's not listed as a Dem).

Initial odds for the Dems being the standard bearer two years from now:

Kamala Harris - 6/1
Elizabeth Warren - 7/1
Bernie Sanders - 10/1
Joe Biden - 10/1
Kirsten Gillibrand - 10/1
Cory Booker - 20/1
Michelle Obama - 20/1
Amy Klobuchar - 25/1
Hillary Clinton - 25/1
Mark Zuckerberg - 25/1

Harris or Gillibrand seem like the best value on the list. 

Even though I think Oprah would do a better job than Trump, I think it would be a mistake to run her.  Do we really want both parties willing to run and elect people that have no experience being elected officials or governing?  Still one of the most distasteful things about Trump (the candidate) was that it seemed obvious, to me at least, that he had no idea what he was doing.  Call me old fashioned but I kind of like the leader of the free world having some clue what they are doing and not having on the job training.

i think the Dem party would not well served having someone like Warren running. I'd love to see her as the Senate Majority leader in a democratically controlled Senate, for example. I think someone like Julian Castro has a great chance if he can do something about his haircut. 

Someone under 70 please.
Joseph P. Kennedy III. He will be about 40. Stanford undergrad, Harvard Law. Peace Corps. Fluent in Spanish. MA 4th District Representative. 

I still haven’t read or heard anything to indicate he is anything other than intelligent, polite, caring, and passionate. I think he also understands, better than most, that he is in office to help his constituents- sort of that old Boston Irish thing. Similarly, he is willing to put the gloves on. See his House takedown of Paul Ryan’s “mercy” comment, or his take on healthcare or tax cuts. 

OTOH, he is young, relatively inexperienced and in a more traditional time, should probably wait for Warren’s or Markey’s Senate seat, win that and put in a few more years before considering a potus run.

i think the Dem party would not well served having someone like Warren running. I'd love to see her as the Senate Majority leader in a democratically controlled Senate, for example. I think someone like Julian Castro has a great chance if he can do something about his haircut. 
Agree with this. I don’t see Warren doing well in a National election, but being pretty effective in the Senate. I see Castro as being very similar to Joe Kennedy. Similar paths, but Castro has a few years on Kennedy.  Castro has that hair issue, Kennedy has the “Kennedy” issue. And what a ginger! Not sure that rises to the same level as Castro’s hair, tho.

Joseph P. Kennedy III. He will be about 40. Stanford undergrad, Harvard Law. Peace Corps. Fluent in Spanish. MA 4th District Representative. 

I still haven’t read or heard anything to indicate he is anything other than intelligent, polite, caring, and passionate. I think he also understands, better than most, that he is in office to help his constituents- sort of that old Boston Irish thing. Similarly, he is willing to put the gloves on. See his House takedown of Paul Ryan’s “mercy” comment, or his take on healthcare or tax cuts. 

OTOH, he is young, relatively inexperienced and in a more traditional time, should probably wait for Warren’s or Markey’s Senate seat, win that and put in a few more years before considering a potus run.
That's Bobby's grandkid, right?

Would think age is a showstopper for Bernie, but if he strongly supports a candidate it could make all of the difference.

I think Booker would be the strongest candidate on the campaign grind.

I like Warren, and I have to say this, but I think her voice is a liability. It's tough to digest after a while.

Don't know much about Gillibrand. Seems nice, but she does not draw me in.

Maybe I am not paying attention very well, but Harris is not getting her name out there like I was expecting.

Biden, sure why not. 

Wish Jim Webb had a more magnetic personality and a willingness to run again. He would be my guy.

Ideally the nominee will be somebody who is still not in the spotlight.

Honestly there is nobody who will win the Democratic primary who won't be 10000 times better than Trump, so main only big issue is who will run best against him. I want to start a movement to draft Tim Waltz to run. He is a rep from MN. He is likely likely to be the next governor. He is a working class guy (He was a teacher and football coach before running for office) and a veteran. He is basically the anti-Trump.

Biden is DNC's best bet - he has the experience, he can get the financial backers and he actually has some fire and would say things to ignite people. I don't think he has many demons in his closet. he wouldn't be running for popularity like Oprah or skin color like Obama. 

Biden in 2020 scares me more than anyone else (as a conservative voter)

Biden is DNC's best bet - he has the experience, he can get the financial backers and he actually has some fire and would say things to ignite people. I don't think he has many demons in his closet. he wouldn't be running for popularity like Oprah or skin color like Obama. 

Biden in 2020 scares me more than anyone else (as a conservative voter)
Biden is an idiot who shouldn't scare any conservatives. He has a loveable status after his time with Obama but if he exposed himself in an election his old habits wouldn't play well. And let's be honest - none of us would be surprised if he's got some grabass issues in his past. His chance, if he ever had one, was this last election. 

It's time for Harris, Booker, or some other younger candidate. 

Biden is an idiot who shouldn't scare any conservatives. He has a loveable status after his time with Obama but if he exposed himself in an election his old habits wouldn't play well. And let's be honest - none of us would be surprised if he's got some grabass issues in his past. His chance, if he ever had one, was this last election. 

It's time for Harris, Booker, or some other younger candidate. 
Hasn't "grab ###" been deemed irrelevant in electing a POTUS?

As of today I'm supporting Booker.  Will be fun to watch all of the favorites manuever the next 18-20 months knowing every action will be heavily scrutinized using the 2020 lens.  

As of today I'm supporting Booker.  Will be fun to watch all of the favorites manuever the next 18-20 months knowing every action will be heavily scrutinized using the 2020 lens.  
Apropos...added to the Judiciary committee (along with Harris)

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Ca.) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) added to Senate Judiciary Committee in wake of Franken resignation/Doug Jones win. Number of black Dems on the committee goes from zero to two.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/950801580458151937

I think its the reason Obama was elected. 

He wasn't popular like Oprah. he wasn't well financed like Hillary. He hadn't much political experience. What did he bring to the table? 
Wow. If I have to build the case for O after eight years we are too far apart to even mess with it. He won because he was black. Ooookay. 

Graduated from Columbia University

Graduated from Harvard Law School

Taught constitutional law at University of Chicago Law School

Served 3 terms in the Illinois Senate

Served one term in the US Senate
those are weak credentials compared to other candidates though

Hillary had the credentials too - and others had MORE credentials

anyway, ya'll think what you want - it was a big deal that a 1/2 black was running for President, it was a big deal a rich old white woman like Hillary was. It was a big deal a political outsider like Trump was. Don't be ashamed of it - you can own it and that's ok you know. Society celebrates when things like this happen - when there is a first woman this or black that or gay this or white that ........... 

No love for Tim Kaine? Too intellectual? Too self-righteous and anxious in the VP debate? He has military family and speaks Spanish. Midwestern roots.

No love for Tim Kaine? Too intellectual? Too self-righteous and anxious in the VP debate? He has military family and speaks Spanish. Midwestern roots.
Too bland. He was the VP candidate and people remember him like a fart in the wind.

Candidates need more than just charm, but having likeability is a huge factor in getting elected. Kaine has the charm of beige.

those are weak credentials compared to other candidates though

Hillary had the credentials too - and others had MORE credentials

anyway, ya'll think what you want - it was a big deal that a 1/2 black was running for President, it was a big deal a rich old white woman like Hillary was. It was a big deal a political outsider like Trump was. Don't be ashamed of it - you can own it and that's ok you know. Society celebrates when things like this happen - when there is a first woman this or black that or gay this or white that ........... 
But he backed that with very good debate performances etc. It was evident the guy was prepared for the job the way he held up in the crucible of the election. I don’t discount a black candidate was significant but given the Trump phenomena don’t you think he had significant headwinds because of race with a good portion of the country? You act like his race was only a benefit and apparently more important than the sum total of all his other attributes. Come on man he kind of had it going on. 

What are the primaries going to be like?  Are they going to be battling or are they going to be presenting their cases without they typical argumentative posturing?  Which do you think is better for their chances?

Michael Avenatti is saying that if someone doesn't step forward that he thinks has a real chance to beat Trump, then he will run to save us all.

Corey Booker apparently made a great impression in Iowa this weekend.

But no one out front yet I don't think.  May be ~18 months before we know.

Users who are viewing this thread