What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A New Car! (help me choose a sedan) (1 Viewer)

Zow

Footballguy
So after ten years and over 200k my manly and incredibly reliable 2008 VW Jetta appears to need replacing.  Work has been good so I am looking to upgrade a bit but, like most practical things in life, I'm not so good at going about it and have no really bought a car on my own before (got a hand-me-down and a junker while in school and I bought the Jetta from a former college roommate when it went on sale).  I haven't test driven anything yet and don't know anybody with these cars, but I've done some internet research and narrowed it down to the following below-list choices (I thought I'd be all over a Passat or a CC but they aren't rating well).  I can put some money down and I am looking for about a 500/month payment.  I'd note that the more affordable version of the Tesla would be ideal, but I looked into it and it's not available for 12-18 months so it doesn't appear to be an option. 

What I'm looking for: 

1.  Low to ground sedan that's smooth, has some decent interior options, and a big enough back seat for carseats. Looking to own it for a long time. Need some decent trunk space for golf clubs.

2. Good highway mileage.  I drive like 20k/year, almost all for work, and almost all highway.  If gas prices weren't so low right now a hybrid would be the obvious choice, but I'm not so sure that makes the most sense. 

3. Brand recognition. I know I'm being a bit vain - as I know that Camrys, Avalons, etc. offer nearly the same things - but I find some value to getting myself something that's considered "luxury." 

So far I'm considering: 

1. Audi A3 through A6 - they seem to rate the best. 

2. Lincoln MKZ - looks to be one of the more affordable options. 

3. Lexus ES (maybe the hybrid version?).

4. Cadillac CTs - a bit pricey but I've driven one before and really liked it.

5. VW CC - the nicer version of the car I already know I like, but as indicated it doesn't rate well. 

The Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-series also look amazing, but I probably can't justify the price. Also it's likely I'll struggle to find a local shop where I live to work on it. 

Please advise with any input, experiences, suggestions, etc.  TIA, will answer yours. 

If you're going to get a Lincoln, don't get a new one.   They depreciate faster than just about any other brand out there. Let someone else eat that and buy one off of a 2 year lease.   

I don't know if they're still making them but for a while there was a version that MKZ (or MKS?  they did a #### job of branding, I don't know the difference between any of these in my head) had the 3.5 Ecoboost engine with AWD (350/375ish HP and Torque).   a Taurus SHO with the Lincoln polish on it   It's Essentially a Tempurdepic on a rocket sled.  

If you're going to get a Lincoln, don't get a new one.   They depreciate faster than just about any other brand out there. Let someone else eat that and buy one off of a 2 year lease.   

I don't know if they're still making them but for a while there was a version that MKZ (or MKS?  they did a #### job of branding, I don't know the difference between any of these in my head) had the 3.5 Ecoboost engine with AWD (350/375ish HP and Torque).   a Taurus SHO with the Lincoln polish on it   It's Essentially a Tempurdepic on a rocket sled.  
bull ####

I kind of like this idea.  Suggestions on how to go about it? Just go to the Lincoln dealer and ask about ones selling from a lease?

I love the Cadillacs (currently driving an ATS) so I would highly recommend.

But you should also look at the Hyundai lines. They make really nice cars.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

They run good lease low mileage lease deals on the MKZ...you can pick up a 2 year old one with 20K miles and save a ton. Plus MKZ drivers are usually older and safer and don`t run the piss out of them.

• Smile
They run good lease low mileage lease deals on the MKZ...you can pick up a 2 year old one with 20K miles and save a ton. Plus MKZ drivers are usually older and safer and don`t run the piss out of them.
Who dey?

I kind of like this idea.  Suggestions on how to go about it? Just go to the Lincoln dealer and ask about ones selling from a lease?
Look for a CPO Lincoln.  6/100 mile warranty.  Not sure how close you are to Phoenix, but I'm buddies with the GM at Sanderson.  

So go Lexus or maybe Acura.  
This is what I would do. But I place a large premium on reliability and I don't trust Lincolns, Caddies, Jags, Mercs or BMWs. All those will run great and be great to drive...when they work. The problem is they all seem to spend a lot of time in the shop IMO and have stupid design flaws that always crop up and cause major issues at some point. Lexus is probably the tops in reliability.

Audi's have pretty good reliability too. And don't overlook Infinity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of your choices listed above I would go with Lexus. 

Someone else mentioned Cadillac which wasn’t on your list. They have been terrible the last number of years. Terrible resale value, terrible residual value and terrible vehicles. Just sayin. 

I have two ES sedans (02 or 03 don't recall, and a 2008).  Love them.  Bought them both from family (my dad bought both new, sold the 08 to my brother who sold it to me.  I bought the 03 straight from my dad).  They both have everything you are looking for, except maybe highway mileage.  Most of my driving is city, and they don't get great milage there, low 20s maybe.  The 08 has 120,000 miles and is still fast as heck.  Now, I've never driven a truly high performance sports car, but this has the most get up and go of any car I've driven.  0-60 may not be the best, but from 40-70 is amazing.  Love to drive it.  Can't recommend it enough.

Plus they last forever.  The 03 is about to pass 200,000 and has never had a major repair.  Bought it around 180,000 when my dad didn't want to put the money in to it for another timing belt.  I did, and haven't had to do anything more other than routine maintenance.  Everything (except for the CD player) still works like new without any repairs ever needed (power everything, heated seats, sunroof, etc all work as new).

I would suggest to not look at your payment per month initially...back into it.

For example, let's say you have $5k to put down and overall, you don't want to go over $35k for a car that is being paid off in 60 months. Assuming you can get 0% financing at the dealership, this would put you at $500/month. Do research on what car you like should cost in your area (give or take).

I say this because if you go to the dealership focused on the monthly payment and not the total cost, you're gonna get pwned.

Of your choices listed above I would go with Lexus. 

Someone else mentioned Cadillac which wasn’t on your list. They have been terrible the last number of years. Terrible resale value, terrible residual value and terrible vehicles. Just sayin. 

This is what I would do. But I place a large premium on reliability and I don't trust Lincolns, Caddies, Jags, Mercs or BMWs. All those will run great and be great to drive...when they work. The problem is they all seem to spend a lot of time in the shop IMO and have stupid design flaws that always crop up and cause major issues at some point.

I have driven two separate Cadillacs (CTS then ATS) for a total of about 8 or 9 years. Only time either one was in the shop was for oil change/tire rotation. I've loved both of those cars. I'm on the waitlist for a Tesla 3 (which seems like it may now take about 15 years) - but otherwise I'd probably be about in the market for another Cadillac. 

So ... I don't know. Sucks y'all have had/heard about problems with Cadillacs. Mine have been great.

So after ten years and over 200k my manly and incredibly reliable 2008 VW Jetta appears to need replacing.  Work has been good so I am looking to upgrade a bit but, like most practical things in life, I'm not so good at going about it and have no really bought a car on my own before (got a hand-me-down and a junker while in school and I bought the Jetta from a former college roommate when it went on sale).  I haven't test driven anything yet and don't know anybody with these cars, but I've done some internet research and narrowed it down to the following below-list choices (I thought I'd be all over a Passat or a CC but they aren't rating well).  I can put some money down and I am looking for about a 500/month payment.  I'd note that the more affordable version of the Tesla would be ideal, but I looked into it and it's not available for 12-18 months so it doesn't appear to be an option. 

What I'm looking for: 

1.  Low to ground sedan that's smooth, has some decent interior options, and a big enough back seat for carseats. Looking to own it for a long time. Need some decent trunk space for golf clubs.

2. Good highway mileage.  I drive like 20k/year, almost all for work, and almost all highway.  If gas prices weren't so low right now a hybrid would be the obvious choice, but I'm not so sure that makes the most sense. 

3. Brand recognition. I know I'm being a bit vain - as I know that Camrys, Avalons, etc. offer nearly the same things - but I find some value to getting myself something that's considered "luxury." 

So far I'm considering: 

1. Audi A3 through A6 - they seem to rate the best. 

2. Lincoln MKZ - looks to be one of the more affordable options. 

3. Lexus ES (maybe the hybrid version?).

4. Cadillac CTs - a bit pricey but I've driven one before and really liked it.

5. VW CC - the nicer version of the car I already know I like, but as indicated it doesn't rate well. 

The Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-series also look amazing, but I probably can't justify the price. Also it's likely I'll struggle to find a local shop where I live to work on it. 

Please advise with any input, experiences, suggestions, etc.  TIA, will answer yours. 
Was just in this boat two years ago and after extensive research it came down to the Honda Accord EX and Mazda 6 Touring (I bought the Mazda). Ratings on both were excellent, good gas mileage and under 30k. I don't know how either of these can't be on your short list if looking at a sedan. I gather based on your having Audi, Lincoln, Lexas, etc that you only want high end? The Mazda and Honda may not be sexy options but they are solid cars at the top of almost every sedan ratings list.

If you are locked into the higher end I'll only say scratch Audi from your list. I had an Audi 6 2.7T (turbo) before the Mazda and they screwed me over.

Audi experience: I maintained the Audi and treated it like a baby and figured I would at least get to 200k. Around 175k I smelled gas every time I filled the gas tank. Did a little research and found out that these were prone to a defective roll over valve on the gas tank. It's a plastic nipple that flexes and over time can crack thus leaking gas when filled up. I took out the back seat and sure enough the top of the tank was wet with gas and the nipple had a small crack. Did more research and found out that the 2001, 2002 and 2003 models all had been recalled for this EXACT issue. I had a 2000 but the part numbers for the gas tank and roll over valve were identical to the years being recalled. I called Audi and they basically told me to pound sand. Despite that the 2000 was identical in every way (related to the gas tank and valve) since there was no official recall it would be on my dime to fix (not cheap). You know what triggers a recall? The number of complaints (of course coupled by there being an actual problem). So simply because they had enough complaints for the 2001-2003 they get recalled but since the 2000 did not reach that thresh hold I had to pay. I was furious. Not only because they wouldn't fix an issue they already acknowledged (i.e. with the 2001-2003) but that they didn't even send a notice that this might happen for other years. Of course the reason they didn't is because then they are acknowledging the issue on the 2000 which opens up Pandora's box to lawsuits.

Sorry for the rant but I think you should know since you're considering an Audi. When the car worked it was fantastic but they don't stand behind their product. Never, ever again will I buy an Audi.

Not sure if you intended this or not.  But when I read the thread title, the Price is Right new car music started playing in my head.  I think it was the exclamation point that triggered me. 

If you'd have problems stomaching saying that you drive a Hyundai, then stop reading now.  

But the newly introduced Kia Stinger GT is a REALLY nice ride.   They just started getting them in showrooms in the last month or two.  
I just read a review of that here in DK - basically saying it's going head to head with Audi/BMW/Mercedes

I have been strictly a BMW driver for my last 4 cars, over 10+ years. 

We love the 3 series and I have an X3.  I highly recommend these vehicles, but more importantly, I highly recommend (used) pre-owned, usually off of lease.

In Feb. 2017 we desperately needed a vehicle after my 13 year old 330xi overheated on my wife and she kept driving (grrrr).

Most important to us was mileage under 30k, price under 30k, good warranty and, since she drives it, interior color (black).

Amazingly enough, we found a 2014 328i with 22k miles for $26+k. 

BMW gives a 4/50 warranty with full maintenance, but pre-owned get a warranty bump to 6/100.  so, we basically got a 3/78k mile warranty and the first year included maintenance.

I extended the maintenance an additional 2 years to match the extended warranty.

Car is loaded with options for what we needed and the salesman told us this car retailed for $43k new, which I verified.

• Smile
Yeah I've heard they're good.  Just not as, uh, cool to say I drive a Hyundai versus an Audi, Jag, Lexus, etc.
A Genesis , it only has a Genesis badge , is one bad ### hombre . Although I bet the resale isn’t great

I understand having the Audi rings look cool on your grill  but a Lexus , yawn . Unless comfort is your thing over driving/style , it’s a Japanese Buick.  Audi makes some beautiful looking cars

I just read a review of that here in DK - basically saying it's going head to head with Audi/BMW/Mercedes
Yeah, they're shooting for the BMW5 series.   They probably aren't going to hit it with the first gen (if at all) but at 2/3rds the cost and with Korean engineering standards eating the German's lunches lately, It's certainly worth a look.  

Yeah I've heard they're good.  Just not as, uh, cool to say I drive a Hyundai versus an Audi, Jag, Lexus, etc.
When considering a luxury brand what is your primary objective? Is it to look good to clients or friends... essentially is this a business decision or an ego thing? 

I have been strictly a BMW driver for my last 4 cars, over 10+ years. 

We love the 3 series and I have an X3.  I highly recommend these vehicles, but more importantly, I highly recommend (used) pre-owned, usually off of lease.

In Feb. 2017 we desperately needed a vehicle after my 13 year old 330xi overheated on my wife and she kept driving (grrrr).

Most important to us was mileage under 30k, price under 30k, good warranty and, since she drives it, interior color (black).

Amazingly enough, we found a 2014 328i with 22k miles for $26+k. 

BMW gives a 4/50 warranty with full maintenance, but pre-owned get a warranty bump to 6/100.  so, we basically got a 3/78k mile warranty and the first year included maintenance.

I extended the maintenance an additional 2 years to match the extended warranty.

Car is loaded with options for what we needed and the salesman told us this car retailed for $43k new, which I verified.
My wife drove a new BMW for 2 years.  I really liked the car but we had more dam problems with that car than any new car we ever drove. First thing was a rattle in the dash areas that drove me crazy. Took it in three times before they found out what was causing it. Over a 2 year period that car was in the shop 5-6 times for various issues.  That should never happen with a brand new car.  Made me sour on the brand.

My wife drove a new BMW for 2 years.  I really liked the car but we had more dam problems with that car than any new car we ever drove. First thing was a rattle in the dash areas that drove me crazy. Took it in three times before they found out what was causing it. Over a 2 year period that car was in the shop 5-6 times for various issues.  That should never happen with a brand new car.  Made me sour on the brand.
Can understand that, maybe this is why used is sometimes better......let someone else hash out the issues and depreciate the value.  Though on my 4 (2 new 2 used), my issues occurred after 7 years. 

The Mazda 6 is a really nice car, gets great reviews, and you can get high end trim for about $35k.  

If you'd have problems stomaching saying that you drive a Hyundai, then stop reading now.  

But the newly introduced Kia Stinger GT is a REALLY nice ride.   They just started getting them in showrooms in the last month or two.  
I saw the Stinger commercial a few times this past week and looked up the price/specs; it's pretty impressive in paper. I'll have to check out the reviews.
I really wish they'd change their boring KIA logo to the "K" badge, though.

Can understand that, maybe this is why used is sometimes better......let someone else hash out the issues and depreciate the value.  Though on my 4 (2 new 2 used), my issues occurred after 7 years. 
It can happen to any car made on a line.  A missed screw here or there and you have a rattle that is almost impossible to find. It is all about personal experience.  I have driven almost every brand for my job.  Have had great and bad experiences with all the top lines.  Caddy CTS does not get good reviews but I loved that car. 

I've been eyeing the 2017 model for a while, then they introduced the 2018 design with minimal price change from the 2017, then I hear rumors that they may add Android Auto for the 2019 complete redesign. At this rate, I'll never get a new car. :P  
I can confirm the Android Auto isn't a rumor. I have a 2016 Mazda 6 and had it in for maintenance a few weeks ago. He asked me how I liked the car & I told him I love it except for two items. 1) the stock tires blow & 2) the software running the entertainment system is lacking. He responded that an Android Auto is in the works but couldn't confirm a date. 

Users who are viewing this thread