What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3D Printer Chronicles (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
My 13 year old son is a tinkerer, and is always wanting a gear just this size, or a plastic case to modify a Nerf blaster, or some tank treads that interlock just like this.  He finally rounded up enough money to get a low-end 3D printer.

We hunted around for 3D printer reviews, and here's what we found:

• The good printers start at $600, and most recommendations seem to be for a brand called Prusa.
  • There's a price gap between $300 and $600 mostly - those at the $300 and below level have to cut corners somewhere, which leads to them being consistently crappy or great until they break.
  • There are lots of 3D printer review sites out there, but many seem shady, like they're run by one of the manufacturers.
  • We found a few good review sites from reputable sources: Popular Mechanics, Wirecutter, CNET, PCMag, and one generated by the 3DP Reddit forum.  Also, reviews more than a year old often refer to obsolete models.
  • Based on those rating sites, we slimmed down to two printers from the same manufacturer: the Monoprice Select Mini V2 ($220) and the Monoprice Maker Select V2 ($300).  The Mini has wifi and seems like a slightly newer design, the Select is faster and has a larger printing area.  My son chose the Select in the end.
So, it arrives tomorrow. 

Doing some research in advance, we chose Autodesk Inventor for the 3D CAD program to use.  That's a little aggressive, since there are lesser CAD programs that can be used, but he wants to be a mechanical engineer anyway, so I thought Inventor or Solidworks would be a really good thing to know.  Inventor has a free full version for students, so we grabbed that.  He'll have to learn it, and I'm planning to learn it with him (I already use AutoCAD Electrical at work).  The printer comes with a program that translates 3D models into slices to send to the printer.

It seems that the first thing to do with a new 3D printer is to get it calibrated properly.  From what I can gather, you can print a standard part, then look at the imperfections and adjust settings based on what you see.  Some lingo here.  It sounds like you can also get help on Reddit to sort out your settings based on the problems you're having.  I noticed that the printer isn't coming with any filament, so I picked up some PLA off Amazon - that seems to be the most common material for 3DP.

Once you're calibrated, the next step is to beef up the printer by printing parts for it... basically trying to fill in the shortcuts that the manufacturer took to get the price down to $300.  In this case of this printer, there's a Z axis stabilizer and a fan shroud that are important immediately, then we can see what other problems we want to solve.  Another thing I've seen many mentions of is getting some sort of cabinet set up for it to keep any air currents from messing up prints. 

Thingiverse has zillions of pre-existing designs people have loaded - that will probably keep my son busy for a while, then he'll have to start using CAD to make his own.  I think this is going to be a lot of fun, possibly with a bit of frustration thrown in.

I have a client that does additive manufacturing. Google “Additive manufacturing” for videos. It’s 3D print with specialty alloy metals. It’s still in its infancy but holy cow is it going to be huge. Stoke that fire with your kid. I’m hoping mine will show interest eventually. 

I have a client that does additive manufacturing. Google “Additive manufacturing” for videos. It’s 3D print with specialty alloy metals. It’s still in its infancy but holy cow is it going to be huge. Stoke that fire with your kid. I’m hoping mine will show interest eventually. 
Yeah check Big Area Additive Manufacturing for some really cool stuff like full cars and small houses 

Good for you, your son will have a big advantage over his peers if he chooses mechanical engineering.  I use inventor at work and last year the company purchased a 3d printer and we use the crap out of it.  It's an amazing tool for prototype work and we've even managed to sneak a few printed parts into production machinery.  It's gone so we'll we're looking to buy a bigger more capable 3d printer.

My cousin has a job in which they require a lot of parts.  I believe it's a government job involving weapons manufacturing.  He told me over Christmas that they will soon be using something similar to what you are talking about.  Eventually they will be able to manufacture all of their own parts instead of having to invest in having another company make them for them and order parts.  It's a huge change.

Fusion 360 is also a good one for him to learn. Cloud based and free. Made by Autodesk. And as you mentioned , Solidworks is a very good one to learn. But just focus on one CAD program at first and he will quickly be able to jump to another should the need arises. 

It'll never matter much - small time, no impact

/ @moleculo

:P  
lol.

I actually just got done sending my latest 3D job to the printer.  I have two of them here in my office.  We us it almost every day.

That said, for our big stuff, (i.e larger than a loaf of bread) we explored two routes for prototyping: a local print house that has bigger machines than we use, and a machinist house outside of Hong Kong.  The machined parts came in cheaper, faster, and better quality.

If it's a part that will be tested, or shown to customers, or is too big to make in-house, I find that getting it machined in China is the way to go.  But, I'm really talking about industrial applications only.

Still, good on @Tick.  3D printing absolutely has a place for hobbyists, especially as education tools.  I've made a career out of 3D modeling - solving 3D puzzles is essentially what I do for a living, and it's been good to me.  Nothing wrong with exercising those creative juices at an early age.

ETA: especially if Tick Jr has The Knack.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a generation, engineers will be trying to figure out how to additively make things as opposed to subtractively or via casting. it already is a new era, extending beyond hobbyist interest. Those who are educated thinking additive first will have a giant advantage in the workplace.

ARTICLE

AUBURN, Alabama – At GE Aviation’s new manufacturing plant here in Alabama, the mass production of highly sophisticated aviation components is well underway using additive manufacturing (also called “3D printing”) technology.

GE’s Auburn plant is running 28 additive printing machines around the clock, producing fuel nozzle injectors (also called “nozzle tips”) for the best-selling LEAP jet engine from CFM International, a 50/50 joint company of GE and Safran Aircraft Engines of France.

It is the first sophisticated jet engine component to be produced using the additive manufacturing process, and it has been successfully operating in airline service since this summer as part of a growing LEAP jet engine fleet powering the Airbus A320neo aircraft.

Between GE Aviation’s printing machines at its Additive Technology Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, and the manufacturing site in Auburn, GE will produce about 6,000 LEAP fuel nozzle injectors in 2016, growing to 12,000 in 2017. In early 2017, all production of these components will occur in Auburn.

By 2020, GE is expected to operate more than 50 printing machines in Auburn, producing more than 35,000 engine fuel nozzle injectors annually using additive. By the end of the decade, GE is expected to have produced about 100,000 fuel nozzle injectors using additive.

moleculo said:
...a machinist house outside of Hong Kong.  The machined parts came in cheaper, faster, and better quality.

If it's a part that will be tested, or shown to customers, or is too big to make in-house, I find that getting it machined in China is the way to go.  But, I'm really talking about industrial applications only.
We've run into some problems with prototypes vs. production runs in China.  Based on sending some of the steel to an analysis lab, it was determined that when we requested a prototype from a Chinese company, they ordered it from an American company and sent it to us.  When we placed the production order, they gave us much crappier steel and a part that didn't work.  Mmrph.

We've run into some problems with prototypes vs. production runs in China.  Based on sending some of the steel to an analysis lab, it was determined that when we requested a prototype from a Chinese company, they ordered it from an American company and sent it to us.  When we placed the production order, they gave us much crappier steel and a part that didn't work.  Mmrph.
Put the material spec on the print and randomly sample it.  If you catch them cheating, pull the job and find a better supplier.  Gotta find the right companies to work with. 

I came home from work today to find the new printer had arrived, the boy set it up physically, and he was calibrating based on the instructions that came with it.  Also, there's a wacky shape he made on Inventor - extruded rectangle, rounded edges, a pipe through the middle, then a square hole knocked through the middle.

Now printing the first test print... it sounds kind of crazy - not loud like a dot-matrix printer, but like a goofy video game or alien.

There is no ink. It extrudes ABS or PLA plastics, or other assorted materials depending on the capabilities of the extruder
Yeah I think most of the home ones use a spool of plastic "string" .  Professional quality ones often use powdered plastics or metal (metal usually laser sintered)...pretty cool process

I asked my eight year old daughter if I could text message or cut in somehow on my son's PS4 head set session with his buddies last night from my phone.  I wanted to check on him from the restaurant.  She looked at me like I was Alan from the Hangover.  Guilty as charged.

I asked my eight year old daughter if I could text message or cut in somehow on my son's PS4 head set session with his buddies last night from my phone.  I wanted to check on him from the restaurant.  She looked at me like I was Alan from the Hangover.  Guilty as charged.
You can do that on Xbox Live, if you have your own XBL username. Not sure about PS network tho. 

Put the material spec on the print and randomly sample it.  If you catch them cheating, pull the job and find a better supplier.  Gotta find the right companies to work with. 
I own a small machine shop that builds prototypes.  I lost one of my better customers to this type of outsourcing.  Originally I'd build all of his prototypes.  Then he started sending stuff overseas to be built.  Tolerances, and quality wasn't up to snuff so he wanted me to "fix" the overseas stuff.  I got tired of being under the gun fixing shoddy prototypes, and we parted ways. Won't be long before there will be no one to fix or build prototypes here, as the jobs are all going overseas. 

I did some stuff on a MakerBot using SketchUp several years back.  It was a pain to get everything calibrated and took forever.  That was an entry model though, so I'm sure they have come a long way.  Any of the software is good to pickup the basics on, as learning new software types will be more familiar.  For example, a copy symbol, or mirror, might look similar in various programs.

My 13 year old son is a tinkerer, and is always wanting a gear just this size, or a plastic case to modify a Nerf blaster, or some tank treads that interlock just like this.  He finally rounded up enough money to get a low-end 3D printer.
I can barely get my 15 year old to change his underwear and socks, let alone build stuff.  Thanks for making me feel like a crappy parent Tick.  Jerk!

I did some stuff on a MakerBot using SketchUp several years back.  It was a pain to get everything calibrated and took forever.  That was an entry model though, so I'm sure they have come a long way.  Any of the software is good to pickup the basics on, as learning new software types will be more familiar.  For example, a copy symbol, or mirror, might look similar in various programs.
Be careful of SketchUp for modeling. It makes terrible functional 3D models for printing. Easy to have reversed faces and hols in the mesh and naked edges and ####. Most 3D printing software has an auto fix for these problems, but they can be hit or miss on fixes. 

squidrope said:
I own a small machine shop that builds prototypes.  I lost one of my better customers to this type of outsourcing.  Originally I'd build all of his prototypes.  Then he started sending stuff overseas to be built.  Tolerances, and quality wasn't up to snuff so he wanted me to "fix" the overseas stuff.  I got tired of being under the gun fixing shoddy prototypes, and we parted ways. Won't be long before there will be no one to fix or build prototypes here, as the jobs are all going overseas. 
Get a 3D printer

:P  

(I'm only partially kidding)

Foosball God said:
I can barely get my 15 year old to change his underwear and socks, let alone build stuff.  Thanks for making me feel like a crappy parent Tick.  Jerk!
I never said he changes his underwear or socks.

I have a few 3 3D printers. A MP Maker Select V2, MP Maker Select Plus, and a little MP Delta that came out in August I think.

Just a hobby. Kind of fun. The fidget spinner craze last year easily paid for 1 1/2 of the printers.
It sounds like that Delta appeared, was sold for a bit, and now is being held back for some reason - it seemed interesting.

Yep, had one on my desk in the office and people started asking. Made a couple for nephews that go to a bigger school and the orders started coming in. This was when they were in huge demand and short supply.

Printed some from downloaded models and designed a few of my own.
Nice! :thumbup:

No real news - we printed Benchy (many people's first print to verify that their slicer program settings are correct) and it looked great.  We replaced the fan with a stronger fan and printed a shroud that distributes the fan to the printed material.  It's on now.  We're now printing Z-axis stabilizers... a 30 hour print according to the slicer program!  Perhaps we should have bought those parts instead of printing them... dunno.

Z axis stabilizer parts

Hardware to go with that - we'll use this as a shopping list rather than ordering the hardware.

Installation video

That means Saturday morning we should be able to finish the stabilizer.  At that point, I think we're finished modifying and he can start doing whatever he wants with it.

Interesting the kinds of things a 13yo doesn't know... he didn't know how to unzip a file or where on the computer an SD card went.  I like all the peripheral things he's picking up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1025471 Dii cooler based on some recommendations I saw - I don't know enough yet to know which would be better, so I'm relying on others.

At this point I'm not really worried about the Pi print control.  Prints take forever, and I can move an SD card back and forth once per day.  If my boy wants to do it, we'll do it - it might be fun to do just to take on that project.

Is that a glass layer on top of the heated pad?  I've seen people mention those - what's the advantage?  Just flatness?

Also, cool print!  I could see printing Sue the T-Rex skull sometime...

Users who are viewing this thread