Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Insein

***OFFICIAL*** Eagles vs Falcons - Game Thread

1,038 posts in this topic

Let's get it on.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

PLAYOFF:football:FOOTBALL!

 

Battle of the Birds

I'll give out two scenarios with two scores

21-17 Eagles:  Nick Foles doesn't turn the ball over and game manages relatively well.  Pederson runs the ball 70/30 split (even if it's around 3.0 ypa).  If the run game can get them to 3rd and short then I believe Foles will utilize slant and dig routes with Ertz and Agholor.  Falcons have a lot of speed but it is something the Eagles can contend with.

27-10 Falcons: Nick Foles is trainwreck Nick Foles.  Bad play results in at least two INTs, most likely trying to throw deep to Jeffery.  Turnovers will result in 14 points for the Falcons.  Eagles D wears down because of too many 3-and-outs.  Matty Ice throws for two or three TDs and I think the backs (Freeman or Coleman) run in another score or two.

Even with No Wentz, I believe this Eagles team is better than the Falcons but the Achilles heel of course is Nick Foles and his play.  if he can play smart, not hold on to the ball, and make accurate throws, Eagles win.

You can place your "Thanks Captain Obvious" replies below.

Edited by CentralPA
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the extended forecast it's likely to be a sloppy track. Rain all day Friday and Saturday morning, and showers likely up until game time.

At first blush I think this works in the Eagles' favor, as it favors the ground-and-pound approach and neutralizes the speed advantage of the Falcons' back seven.  Also it might put a kibosh on Pederson's desire to get cute with the type of "short passes are just as good as runs" game plan that his mentor loved so much in the playoffs.

Counterpoint, I don't love the prospect of a wet ball in the hands of an offense that's already fumbled 25 times this season (including Foles' 6 in four starts ... ugh).

In general the "team with fewer turnovers wins 85% (or whatever) of the time" stat is overblown, but I really think it's going to hold true on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Based on the extended forecast it's likely to be a sloppy track. Rain all day Friday and Saturday morning, and showers likely up until game time.

At first blush I think this works in the Eagles' favor, as it favors the ground-and-pound approach and neutralizes the speed advantage of the Falcons' back seven.  Also it might put a kibosh on Pederson's desire to get cute with the type of "short passes are just as good as runs" game plan that his mentor loved so much in the playoffs.

Counterpoint, I don't love the prospect of a wet ball in the hands of an offense that's already fumbled 25 times this season (including Foles' 6 in four starts ... ugh).

In general the "team with fewer turnovers wins 85% (or whatever) of the time" stat is overblown, but I really think it's going to hold true on Saturday.

Good point.  Ajayi has a tendancy to fumble too.  Ball security, in pretty much all circumstances, will be critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time a 6 seed is favored over a 1 seed ever. The disrespect is real and I’m sure this is going to provide some extra motivation for the Eagles. 

Outside of the Dallas game where we rested starters we have been undefeated at home. The defense has been amazing at home and I expect the crowd to be even more into the game. If we can get to Ryan a few times early and set the tone with the running game we should come out on top. We can’t have any ofbte stupid mistakes the Rams made the week before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference between Wentz and Foles is probably at least 7 points in the spread.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt like Atlanta slept-walked all the way through the regular season on offense.  I attribute that to Sarkisan and I don't have high hopes that it will get better.  The weapons are still there but the dynamic offense we saw last year left with Shanahan.  The good news is on any given day I think they could get it back and the defense is playing great.  I think the weather won't be a factor but pash rush will.  If Ryan is given time in the pocket I think the Falcons win.  If he doesn't (which is what I expect) then it's a toss-up and will come down to mistakes most likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

First time a 6 seed is favored over a 1 seed ever. The disrespect is real and I’m sure this is going to provide some extra motivation for the Eagles. 

Outside of the Dallas game where we rested starters we have been undefeated at home. The defense has been amazing at home and I expect the crowd to be even more into the game. If we can get to Ryan a few times early and set the tone with the running game we should come out on top. We can’t have any ofbte stupid mistakes the Rams made the week before. 

 

3 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

The difference between Wentz and Foles is probably at least 7 points in the spread.

Ya I don't really think it's a 'disrespect' thing, but I do agree that they will call it that in the locker room.  Facts are facts, we aren't as good without Wentz.  I think the spread is where it should be.   With Wentze we'd likely be favoured by 6 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that Doug is a really, really good offensive play-caller.  He's learned from Andy, who was great in his own right.  He's also learned from watching Andy how NOT to manage in game adjustments.  We always have all our timeouts at the end of a game, he's stopped abandoning the run after a few carries like Andy always used to do (still does).  My contention is that he has some really good plays that they've been holding back on.  I posted this in the eagles thread, but the last two weeks of the regular season were about as blah an offense as could be.  I'm reminded of the game that Elliot went out and they attempted 2-point conversions every time they scored.  Wentz was sorta #####ing about tipping their hand on the 2pt conversion plays that they wanted to hold off on in to the playoffs.  I believe that Doug is going to come out with a lot of 2-back sets and offensive plays that haven't been put on film yet.  

Foles is what he is:  a good-not-great QB that can get some wins if he manages the game and isn't asked to do too much.  We've averaged about 29 carries a game this year.  If we can get closer to 40 carries:  Ajayi about 20, Blount 10 and Clement 10, we'll stifle the ATL offense and keep the ball out of their hands.  I've got full faith in Doug to make good adjustments and continue to run into the third and fourth quarter.  Home field advantage is real in Philly again.  Expect the defensive front to hold the run game in check and pressure Matty enough to take Julio's deep game out of the equation.

Adjusting my initial score prediction from the Birds thread:  Eagles win:  31-17

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unckeyherb said:

I believe that Doug is a really, really good offensive play-caller.  He's learned from Andy, who was great in his own right.  He's also learned from watching Andy how NOT to manage in game adjustments.  We always have all our timeouts at the end of a game, he's stopped abandoning the run after a few carries like Andy always used to do (still does).  My contention is that he has some really good plays that they've been holding back on.  I posted this in the eagles thread, but the last two weeks of the regular season were about as blah an offense as could be.  I'm reminded of the game that Elliot went out and they attempted 2-point conversions every time they scored.  Wentz was sorta #####ing about tipping their hand on the 2pt conversion plays that they wanted to hold off on in to the playoffs.  I believe that Doug is going to come out with a lot of 2-back sets and offensive plays that haven't been put on film yet.  

Foles is what he is:  a good-not-great QB that can get some wins if he manages the game and isn't asked to do too much.  We've averaged about 29 carries a game this year.  If we can get closer to 40 carries:  Ajayi about 20, Blount 10 and Clement 10, we'll stifle the ATL offense and keep the ball out of their hands.  I've got full faith in Doug to make good adjustments and continue to run into the third and fourth quarter.  Home field advantage is real in Philly again.  Expect the defensive front to hold the run game in check and pressure Matty enough to take Julio's deep game out of the equation.

Adjusting my initial score prediction from the Birds thread:  Eagles win:  31-17

I love your optimism. I hope you are channeling your inner Karnack

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fear was that the Eagles would be looking past the Falcons, but the Falcons being favored erases that from the board.

Falcons favored?  Hello Eagle ML :moneybag:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Atlanta pass rush gets home and the Eagles have no answer for the passing game. 

Atl 27-24

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am concerned Pederson may have been watching the national championship last night and now he's got visions of nate sudfeld slinging it in his mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw something that Matt Ryan didn't practice today?  Left the facility, schaub took the first team reps.  Anyone know wats up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, unckeyherb said:

Saw something that Matt Ryan didn't practice today?  Left the facility, schaub took the first team reps.  Anyone know wats up?

Looks like nothing.  Expected to practice tomorrow.  Personal matter today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

The difference between Wentz and Foles is probably at least 7 points in the spread.

9 points.

I heard it said that the Eagles would be favored by 6 1/2 with Wentz, but are underdogs by 2 1/2 w/o him, so there ya go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it'll end be hard to score over 21 with how Atlanta's D looks. Our D gotta play lights out. Sloppy field maybe a nice 17-14 wining score in a defensive struggle. Boring but I'll take it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

I think it'll end be hard to score over 21 with how Atlanta's D looks. Our D gotta play lights out. Sloppy field maybe a nice 17-14 wining score in a defensive struggle. Boring but I'll take it!

I smell a eagles def or special teams td

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man. Has it really been 4 years since we've had a playoff game? 9 years since we've won a playoff game? Yea that needs to end tomorrow.

 

Eagles 24 Falcons 13

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SproutDaddy said:

How do the Eagles put up 34?

Score 4 TD's and kick 2 FG's.  

Any other brain-busters?

Edited by unckeyherb
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm the only one who's payed attention to games the past few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it that you have home field advantage, but the offense has been nothing short of putrid that post few games.  Oakland and Dallas don't have the D of the Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SproutDaddy said:

I get it that you have home field advantage, but the offense has been nothing short of putrid that post few games.  Oakland and Dallas don't have the D of the Atlanta.

I think eagles offense gets 3 tds and a couple fgs.  Def or special teams also scores.  Eagles are gonna kick that ###.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SproutDaddy said:

I get it that you have home field advantage, but the offense has been nothing short of putrid that post few games.  Oakland and Dallas don't have the D of the Atlanta.

Well, throw the Dallas game out.  Half our starters didn't play (and Dallas first team played the whole game).  I'll give you they didn't look very good against Oakland-frankly the whole team was spotty on Christmas Day.  

How about the week before when Foles threw for 240 and 4tds?  Dropped 34 points that week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, unckeyherb said:

Well, throw the Dallas game out.  Half our starters didn't play (and Dallas first team played the whole game).  I'll give you they didn't look very good against Oakland-frankly the whole team was spotty on Christmas Day.  

How about the week before when Foles threw for 240 and 4tds?  Dropped 34 points that week.

 Well, it was the Giants who are 31st against the pass on the season and 30th against receiving.  Atlanta is 11 and 12.

I have no dog in this fight.  I hate the Falcons.  I just don't see how you think it can happen with Foles.  But what do I know.  As a Saints fan, Vikings fans think they're going to shut down our whole offense.  It didn't happen in wk 1, and the offense is much better at this point.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict Philly puts up 24 points. One TD coming directly from D/ST or on a short field.

Two scenarios i see playing out for ATL:

16 points. D-line pressure on Ryan all day, he takes a beating and never gets on track. Run D holds Freeman to <3 ypc. A lot of 3 and outs and settling for FGs.

34 points. ATL takes advantage of the aggressive PHI D, and goes sideline to sideline. A lot of slant and go’s and bubble screens and a lot of runs to the outside. We’ve seen PHI struggle with this before- lack of discipline, poor tackling. When PHI tries to counter, Julio/Sanu school Darby with some double moves for the long TD.

Prediction: 24-16, Eagles. Cox and Jernigan absolutely destroy Garland and force 3 TOs, all from internal pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SproutDaddy said:

 Well, it was the Giants who are 31st against the pass on the season and 30th against receiving.  Atlanta is 11 and 12.

I have no dog in this fight.  I hate the Falcons.  I just don't see how you think it can happen with Foles.  But what do I know.  As a Saints fan, Vikings fans think they're going to shut down our whole offense.  It didn't happen in wk 1, and the offense is much better at this point.

there is more to the offense then just Foles. Ajayi, with Jay Cutler at QB, ran for 130+ yards on this same Falcons team earlier this season. sure, thing are different, but Eagles can score on this team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I predict Philly puts up 24 points. One TD coming directly from D/ST or on a short field.

Two scenarios i see playing out for ATL:

16 points. D-line pressure on Ryan all day, he takes a beating and never gets on track. Run D holds Freeman to <3 ypc. A lot of 3 and outs and settling for FGs.

34 points. ATL takes advantage of the aggressive PHI D, and goes sideline to sideline. A lot of slant and go’s and bubble screens and a lot of runs to the outside. We’ve seen PHI struggle with this before- lack of discipline, poor tackling. When PHI tries to counter, Julio/Sanu school Darby with some double moves for the long TD.

Prediction: 24-16, Eagles. Cox and Jernigan absolutely destroy Garland and force 3 TOs, all from internal pressure.

Would be very surprised if the Eagles put up 24 on Atlanta.  Atlanta has maybe the most underrated defense in the league right now.  They are on an absolute mission to carry this team back to the SB, and they didn't let the Rams do ANYTHING (sure you can argue that the rams did it to themselves, but there's just as valid of an argument that their struggles were because of the defense). 

I see 17 or 20 points from us.  And see our D giving up 17 or 20 points.  20-17 just feels so right for this game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, you predict 17-20 points, but would be very surprised by 24? That extra 4 points is the deal breaker?

i don’t think we’re too far off in our assessments. I have a feeling D or ST gives us 6 this game. And yeah, ATL D has been the show this year for them. I think having Wiz back this week makes a huge difference in the run game, and keeps Foles clean. I want to see Ajayi run until the wheels come off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Ugh, I can't sleep.

I ate a cheesesteak before bed last night. And dreamed of violence. It's playoff football. Wake up Atlanta. Time to die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict Atlanta gets out to a big lead and then chokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eagles are 17-13-1 all time vs the falcs, including 2-1 in the playoffs (1978 L, 2002 W, 2004 W), which surprises me because I didn't know the falcs had been to the playoffs that many times. 

My heart says Geaux Eagles, but my brain says Philly 62-7.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually though I know the nation is dying for a showdown next week between America's greatest unsung rivalry, I do think the Eagles can win this with their defense and if Foles at least plays decently with 2 weeks prep under his belt. I think something like 19-16 Philly is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand by my 31-17 score.  Birds defense is legit and they'll be hyped at home.  The crowd is going to play a part as well.  Think a couple of turnovers resulting in short fields for foles and possiblyy a defensive score will set the tone.  35-40 rushing attempts by all three RBs to keep Atl offense off the field.  Recipe for a win..

I can't wait any longer.  I'm want to run through a wall.  

GO BIRDS!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.