What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Eagles vs Falcons - Game Thread (1 Viewer)

PLAYOFF :football: FOOTBALL!

Battle of the Birds

I'll give out two scenarios with two scores

21-17 Eagles:  Nick Foles doesn't turn the ball over and game manages relatively well.  Pederson runs the ball 70/30 split (even if it's around 3.0 ypa).  If the run game can get them to 3rd and short then I believe Foles will utilize slant and dig routes with Ertz and Agholor.  Falcons have a lot of speed but it is something the Eagles can contend with.

27-10 Falcons: Nick Foles is trainwreck Nick Foles.  Bad play results in at least two INTs, most likely trying to throw deep to Jeffery.  Turnovers will result in 14 points for the Falcons.  Eagles D wears down because of too many 3-and-outs.  Matty Ice throws for two or three TDs and I think the backs (Freeman or Coleman) run in another score or two.

Even with No Wentz, I believe this Eagles team is better than the Falcons but the Achilles heel of course is Nick Foles and his play.  if he can play smart, not hold on to the ball, and make accurate throws, Eagles win.

You can place your "Thanks Captain Obvious" replies below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the extended forecast it's likely to be a sloppy track. Rain all day Friday and Saturday morning, and showers likely up until game time.

At first blush I think this works in the Eagles' favor, as it favors the ground-and-pound approach and neutralizes the speed advantage of the Falcons' back seven.  Also it might put a kibosh on Pederson's desire to get cute with the type of "short passes are just as good as runs" game plan that his mentor loved so much in the playoffs.

Counterpoint, I don't love the prospect of a wet ball in the hands of an offense that's already fumbled 25 times this season (including Foles' 6 in four starts ... ugh).

In general the "team with fewer turnovers wins 85% (or whatever) of the time" stat is overblown, but I really think it's going to hold true on Saturday.

Based on the extended forecast it's likely to be a sloppy track. Rain all day Friday and Saturday morning, and showers likely up until game time.

At first blush I think this works in the Eagles' favor, as it favors the ground-and-pound approach and neutralizes the speed advantage of the Falcons' back seven.  Also it might put a kibosh on Pederson's desire to get cute with the type of "short passes are just as good as runs" game plan that his mentor loved so much in the playoffs.

Counterpoint, I don't love the prospect of a wet ball in the hands of an offense that's already fumbled 25 times this season (including Foles' 6 in four starts ... ugh).

In general the "team with fewer turnovers wins 85% (or whatever) of the time" stat is overblown, but I really think it's going to hold true on Saturday.
Good point.  Ajayi has a tendancy to fumble too.  Ball security, in pretty much all circumstances, will be critical.

First time a 6 seed is favored over a 1 seed ever. The disrespect is real and I’m sure this is going to provide some extra motivation for the Eagles. 

Outside of the Dallas game where we rested starters we have been undefeated at home. The defense has been amazing at home and I expect the crowd to be even more into the game. If we can get to Ryan a few times early and set the tone with the running game we should come out on top. We can’t have any ofbte stupid mistakes the Rams made the week before. 

Felt like Atlanta slept-walked all the way through the regular season on offense.  I attribute that to Sarkisan and I don't have high hopes that it will get better.  The weapons are still there but the dynamic offense we saw last year left with Shanahan.  The good news is on any given day I think they could get it back and the defense is playing great.  I think the weather won't be a factor but pash rush will.  If Ryan is given time in the pocket I think the Falcons win.  If he doesn't (which is what I expect) then it's a toss-up and will come down to mistakes most likely. 

First time a 6 seed is favored over a 1 seed ever. The disrespect is real and I’m sure this is going to provide some extra motivation for the Eagles. 

Outside of the Dallas game where we rested starters we have been undefeated at home. The defense has been amazing at home and I expect the crowd to be even more into the game. If we can get to Ryan a few times early and set the tone with the running game we should come out on top. We can’t have any ofbte stupid mistakes the Rams made the week before. 

The difference between Wentz and Foles is probably at least 7 points in the spread.
Ya I don't really think it's a 'disrespect' thing, but I do agree that they will call it that in the locker room.  Facts are facts, we aren't as good without Wentz.  I think the spread is where it should be.   With Wentze we'd likely be favoured by 6 points.

I believe that Doug is a really, really good offensive play-caller.  He's learned from Andy, who was great in his own right.  He's also learned from watching Andy how NOT to manage in game adjustments.  We always have all our timeouts at the end of a game, he's stopped abandoning the run after a few carries like Andy always used to do (still does).  My contention is that he has some really good plays that they've been holding back on.  I posted this in the eagles thread, but the last two weeks of the regular season were about as blah an offense as could be.  I'm reminded of the game that Elliot went out and they attempted 2-point conversions every time they scored.  Wentz was sorta #####ing about tipping their hand on the 2pt conversion plays that they wanted to hold off on in to the playoffs.  I believe that Doug is going to come out with a lot of 2-back sets and offensive plays that haven't been put on film yet.  

Foles is what he is:  a good-not-great QB that can get some wins if he manages the game and isn't asked to do too much.  We've averaged about 29 carries a game this year.  If we can get closer to 40 carries:  Ajayi about 20, Blount 10 and Clement 10, we'll stifle the ATL offense and keep the ball out of their hands.  I've got full faith in Doug to make good adjustments and continue to run into the third and fourth quarter.  Home field advantage is real in Philly again.  Expect the defensive front to hold the run game in check and pressure Matty enough to take Julio's deep game out of the equation.

Adjusting my initial score prediction from the Birds thread:  Eagles win:  31-17

I believe that Doug is a really, really good offensive play-caller.  He's learned from Andy, who was great in his own right.  He's also learned from watching Andy how NOT to manage in game adjustments.  We always have all our timeouts at the end of a game, he's stopped abandoning the run after a few carries like Andy always used to do (still does).  My contention is that he has some really good plays that they've been holding back on.  I posted this in the eagles thread, but the last two weeks of the regular season were about as blah an offense as could be.  I'm reminded of the game that Elliot went out and they attempted 2-point conversions every time they scored.  Wentz was sorta #####ing about tipping their hand on the 2pt conversion plays that they wanted to hold off on in to the playoffs.  I believe that Doug is going to come out with a lot of 2-back sets and offensive plays that haven't been put on film yet.  

Foles is what he is:  a good-not-great QB that can get some wins if he manages the game and isn't asked to do too much.  We've averaged about 29 carries a game this year.  If we can get closer to 40 carries:  Ajayi about 20, Blount 10 and Clement 10, we'll stifle the ATL offense and keep the ball out of their hands.  I've got full faith in Doug to make good adjustments and continue to run into the third and fourth quarter.  Home field advantage is real in Philly again.  Expect the defensive front to hold the run game in check and pressure Matty enough to take Julio's deep game out of the equation.

Adjusting my initial score prediction from the Birds thread:  Eagles win:  31-17
I love your optimism. I hope you are channeling your inner Karnack

My fear was that the Eagles would be looking past the Falcons, but the Falcons being favored erases that from the board.

Falcons favored?  Hello Eagle ML  :moneybag:

I am concerned Pederson may have been watching the national championship last night and now he's got visions of nate sudfeld slinging it in his mind...

Saw something that Matt Ryan didn't practice today?  Left the facility, schaub took the first team reps.  Anyone know wats up?

IHEARTFF said:
The difference between Wentz and Foles is probably at least 7 points in the spread.
9 points.

I heard it said that the Eagles would be favored by 6 1/2 with Wentz, but are underdogs by 2 1/2 w/o him, so there ya go. 

I think it'll end be hard to score over 21 with how Atlanta's D looks. Our D gotta play lights out. Sloppy field maybe a nice 17-14 wining score in a defensive struggle. Boring but I'll take it!

I get it that you have home field advantage, but the offense has been nothing short of putrid that post few games.  Oakland and Dallas don't have the D of the Atlanta.

I get it that you have home field advantage, but the offense has been nothing short of putrid that post few games.  Oakland and Dallas don't have the D of the Atlanta.
I think eagles offense gets 3 tds and a couple fgs.  Def or special teams also scores.  Eagles are gonna kick that ###.

Well, throw the Dallas game out.  Half our starters didn't play (and Dallas first team played the whole game).  I'll give you they didn't look very good against Oakland-frankly the whole team was spotty on Christmas Day.  

How about the week before when Foles threw for 240 and 4tds?  Dropped 34 points that week.

Well, throw the Dallas game out.  Half our starters didn't play (and Dallas first team played the whole game).  I'll give you they didn't look very good against Oakland-frankly the whole team was spotty on Christmas Day.  

How about the week before when Foles threw for 240 and 4tds?  Dropped 34 points that week.
 Well, it was the Giants who are 31st against the pass on the season and 30th against receiving.  Atlanta is 11 and 12.

I have no dog in this fight.  I hate the Falcons.  I just don't see how you think it can happen with Foles.  But what do I know.  As a Saints fan, Vikings fans think they're going to shut down our whole offense.  It didn't happen in wk 1, and the offense is much better at this point.

I predict Philly puts up 24 points. One TD coming directly from D/ST or on a short field.

Two scenarios i see playing out for ATL:

16 points. D-line pressure on Ryan all day, he takes a beating and never gets on track. Run D holds Freeman to <3 ypc. A lot of 3 and outs and settling for FGs.

34 points. ATL takes advantage of the aggressive PHI D, and goes sideline to sideline. A lot of slant and go’s and bubble screens and a lot of runs to the outside. We’ve seen PHI struggle with this before- lack of discipline, poor tackling. When PHI tries to counter, Julio/Sanu school Darby with some double moves for the long TD.

Prediction: 24-16, Eagles. Cox and Jernigan absolutely destroy Garland and force 3 TOs, all from internal pressure.

Well, it was the Giants who are 31st against the pass on the season and 30th against receiving.  Atlanta is 11 and 12.

I have no dog in this fight.  I hate the Falcons.  I just don't see how you think it can happen with Foles.  But what do I know.  As a Saints fan, Vikings fans think they're going to shut down our whole offense.  It didn't happen in wk 1, and the offense is much better at this point.
there is more to the offense then just Foles. Ajayi, with Jay Cutler at QB, ran for 130+ yards on this same Falcons team earlier this season. sure, thing are different, but Eagles can score on this team

I predict Philly puts up 24 points. One TD coming directly from D/ST or on a short field.

Two scenarios i see playing out for ATL:

16 points. D-line pressure on Ryan all day, he takes a beating and never gets on track. Run D holds Freeman to <3 ypc. A lot of 3 and outs and settling for FGs.

34 points. ATL takes advantage of the aggressive PHI D, and goes sideline to sideline. A lot of slant and go’s and bubble screens and a lot of runs to the outside. We’ve seen PHI struggle with this before- lack of discipline, poor tackling. When PHI tries to counter, Julio/Sanu school Darby with some double moves for the long TD.

Prediction: 24-16, Eagles. Cox and Jernigan absolutely destroy Garland and force 3 TOs, all from internal pressure.
Would be very surprised if the Eagles put up 24 on Atlanta.  Atlanta has maybe the most underrated defense in the league right now.  They are on an absolute mission to carry this team back to the SB, and they didn't let the Rams do ANYTHING (sure you can argue that the rams did it to themselves, but there's just as valid of an argument that their struggles were because of the defense). 

I see 17 or 20 points from us.  And see our D giving up 17 or 20 points.  20-17 just feels so right for this game.

So, you predict 17-20 points, but would be very surprised by 24? That extra 4 points is the deal breaker?

i don’t think we’re too far off in our assessments. I have a feeling D or ST gives us 6 this game. And yeah, ATL D has been the show this year for them. I think having Wiz back this week makes a huge difference in the run game, and keeps Foles clean. I want to see Ajayi run until the wheels come off. 

The Eagles are 17-13-1 all time vs the falcs, including 2-1 in the playoffs (1978 L, 2002 W, 2004 W), which surprises me because I didn't know the falcs had been to the playoffs that many times. 

My heart says Geaux Eagles, but my brain says Philly 62-7.

Actually though I know the nation is dying for a showdown next week between America's greatest unsung rivalry, I do think the Eagles can win this with their defense and if Foles at least plays decently with 2 weeks prep under his belt. I think something like 19-16 Philly is possible.

I stand by my 31-17 score.  Birds defense is legit and they'll be hyped at home.  The crowd is going to play a part as well.  Think a couple of turnovers resulting in short fields for foles and possiblyy a defensive score will set the tone.  35-40 rushing attempts by all three RBs to keep Atl offense off the field.  Recipe for a win..

I can't wait any longer.  I'm want to run through a wall.  

GO BIRDS!!!!!!

Falcons have been sleepwalking all season with Super Bowl choke hangover. Now they're back in the playoffs and still have essentially the team that should have won last year's title vs. a team without its QB. Scrub QB is seldom a recipe for playoff success. Close early, maybe with a narrow Eagles lead at halftime, with ATL gradually grinding away to a 24-13 win

Have the falcs ever played any cold weather playoff games in the past? I recall Vick pulling out a win in GB years back but that's it. Forecast: 30 degrees at kickoff, 27 degrees in the 4th. 

L at Dal, 1978, 38 deg, 27 deg WC

L at GB, 1995, 30 deg.

W at GB, 2002, 38 deg, stupid Vick game.  Vick doesn't count.

L at Phi, 2002, 29 deg.

L, at Phi, 2004, 17 deg.

eta - Dome teams outdoors overall.

Have the falcs ever played any cold weather playoff games in the past? I recall Vick pulling out a win in GB years back but that's it. Forecast: 30 degrees at kickoff, 27 degrees in the 4th. 

L at Dal, 1978, 38 deg, 27 deg WC

L at GB, 1995, 30 deg.

W at GB, 2002, 38 deg, stupid Vick game.  Vick doesn't count.

L at Phi, 2002, 29 deg.

L, at Phi, 2004, 17 deg.
Different teams. How does Matt Ryan fair in cold weather?

Different teams. How does Matt Ryan fair in cold weather?

The Falcons haven't won a game outside below 40 since 2009.

Here's Matt Ryan's all time road record in January.

- The NYG playoff game (L) was 44 degrees.

Here's Matt Ryan's all time road record in December.

- 2014 he lost in GB, 33 degrees. (24/39/375/4/1).

- 2013 he lost in GB, 9 degrees. (20/35/206/2/1).

- 2009 he won at 9-7 NYJ 10-7, 29 degrees. (16/34/152/1/0).

So unless there was unusual pre-December weather somewhere it looks like he's played in 3 games sub-40 all time and is 1-2 in those games.

When he throws for 375 and 4 TDs, you’re going to put the loss on him?  The guy played at BC and grew up in Philly. If we lose today, it’s not because he’s cold. 
Average temperature in Boston in November is above 50. Don't play in January there too often. I agree weather is a dumb reason, and one of Philly's worse losses ever was at home vs. TB in the cold. But saying Matt Ryan has experience playing in Boston in October and November means nothing. Wind will probably matter more than temperature. Makes short passes and screens more important. Falcons won't be able to run on Philly but Eagles LB are mediocre and Falcons RB are good. 

Users who are viewing this thread