What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players you will be targeting in 2018 (1 Viewer)

I will be staying far away from Amari Cooper and Mike Evans at whatever their ADP is, which guarantees they'll blow up next year.  

I think for anyone like me who wants to wait on QB next year, Garoppolo looks like a sneaky pick to be a repeat of this year's Wentz.  

I will be staying far away from Amari Cooper and Mike Evans at whatever their ADP is, which guarantees they'll blow up next year.  

I think for anyone like me who wants to wait on QB next year, Garoppolo looks like a sneaky pick to be a repeat of this year's Wentz.  
There's going to be nothing sneaky about Jimmy G next year. Everyone will be targeting him late. 

Depending on landing spot I want Sony michel in all my redraft leagues and will stash if He isn’t guaranteed work outright

W/o knowing ADPs I'll just assume they'll go too late...

Jimmy Garoppolo - Will foolishly get bypassed by the younger and/or "bounce back" candidates in drafts. Guy is a stud. Can only imagine what he'll do with an entire offseason and some weapons in that offense. Him and Shanahan are a match made in heaven. The best QB in that division.

SF WR1 - Whether it's Watkins or someone else. They'll go too low.

J. Crowder. Evan Engram when Bill Bellichick comes to coach the g-men.because ya know, hes coming. i can have hope right? 

Eli Manning whrn he signs with Jax

if Josh McCown can put up pretty gawdy numbers even for him Im sure Kirk Cousins will be superb in a Jets uni.

If the Bills need a wr offer your two first to Gmen for OBJ. or if youre SF offer a first and a 2019 first for OBJ. he might do well with Jimmy G. 

D. Watson.

Bears' Rb Howard proved everyone wrong.hes a STUD. 2 years running now. 

Zeke Elliott at any price is gonna be a bargain..

has K. Drake become a must have RB in Miami?? 

D. Hopkins.absolute stud. 

Simon & Schuster JuJu whatshisname from Pitt

Jimmy Garoppolo - Will foolishly get bypassed by the younger and/or "bounce back" candidates in drafts. Guy is a stud. Can only imagine what he'll do with an entire offseason and some weapons in that offense. Him and Shanahan are a match made in heaven. The best QB in that division.

Umm... Wow

There's going to be nothing sneaky about Jimmy G next year. Everyone will be targeting him late. 
I’m seeing a lot of slappies around here who think he’s the next big thing. Doubt he even goes “late” and therefore he’ll be too expensive for me.

Really wish there was a dislike button.

I’m seeing a lot of slappies around here who think he’s the next big thing. Doubt he even goes “late” and therefore he’ll be too expensive for me.
Yep

It's entirely possible he gets drafted as a top 6 QB in some leagues. His ADP will be top 12, probably top 10. Whether that's legit or too high is TBD.

After all, he was the #2 QB over the last quarter of the season. His average over those games puts him on par with Brady and Rodgers for their season. 

RB's: C. Carson, A. Jones, K. Dixon, Duke Johnson, Riddick, Burkhead.

WR's: D. Westbrook, K. Golloday, A. Thielen, R. Anderson, M. Mitchell, C. Henderson.

Jimmy G will be a sleeper next year the way Tannehill was a sleeper back in 2015, when SI put him on the cover under the headline "Draft Day Steal". Call them "Schrodinger's Sleepers", where all the buzz about their sleeper status ends up ensuring that they're overvalued.

The guys who will end up being sleepers are the people who, right now, the market has legitimate doubts about. Think of how we regarded Gurley and Hopkins at this time a year ago.

One name to keep an eye on: Allen Robinson. Unclear if he'll still be on the Jags, or who his QB will be, but the fact that he's coming off an ACL tear, and was disappointing the previous year, means he could slide under the radar.

WR's: D. Westbrook, K. Golloday, A. Thielen, R. Anderson, M. Mitchell, C. Henderson.
I'm going to be very wary of DJ. Historically, Woodhead and Sproles are the only CoP backs who have demonstrated reliability as starters over multiple seasons. More common are the guys like Riddick and Chris Thompson, who will occasionally have their blow-up years, but in general are hard to trust as weekly starters. Johnson likely just had his career year, and I suspect it will be hard to get value at his ADP.

Just going off the top of my head, but guys I think I'd target are;

Hilton, Eifert, Reed, Chris Carson (dart throw), DeDe Westbrook, Thielen (will likely go lower than he should), Dak, Jamaal Williams, Chubb (because I need him).  Probably missing a few but that should get me started.  

Thanks for proving exactly why JG won't be a value. I'm not saying you're wrong about this -- I don't see him overtaking Wilson, but it's certainly plausible. But the point is, while you're making predictions on the optimistic end of the spectrum, who's making the counterargument that he won't be elite? I don't see it anywhere. 

If all the hype is going in one direction, there's no way he falls to the late rounds.

If SF upgrades their offensive weapons (which I think they will), that will make it even less likely that Jimmy is undervalued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep

It's entirely possible he gets drafted as a top 6 QB in some leagues. His ADP will be top 12, probably top 10. Whether that's legit or too high is TBD.

After all, he was the #2 QB over the last quarter of the season. His average over those games puts him on par with Brady and Rodgers for their season. 
In my league, at least, from week 13-17, Jimmy G averaged only 18.55 ppg and was #13 QB. Not sure where #2 QB is coming from. ???

Until I get a better read on what RBs might fall, Baker Mayfield = Picking late In the first of a dynasty rookie draft.
You don't get a whiff of Manziel on this guy?  I perceive a lot of attitude similarities.  Seems too cocky (rather than confident)

For redraft.. 

QB - Mahomes (tons of talent and surrounded by a lot of weapons)

RB - Mixon (still believe he is the most talented RB from last years class and an average rookie year keeps his price down) 

WR - R. Woods (I think he will remain underpriced as the true WR1 of the Rams offense) 

TE - A. Shaheen (Love the talent, and I think the Bears offense is on the way up with Trubisky.  A startable TE that you can get for free) 

Jimmy G will be a sleeper next year the way Tannehill was a sleeper back in 2015, when SI put him on the cover under the headline "Draft Day Steal". Call them "Schrodinger's Sleepers", where all the buzz about their sleeper status ends up ensuring that they're overvalued.
:lmao:  I am so stealing this phrase. It's perfect.

The best parallel I can remember to JG is Nick Foles. On the heels of his 27 TD/2 INT half-season in 2013 I'm sure you could find posts on this board from early '14 tagging him as a "sleeper to target" that summer.

By the time draft season got going in earnest, his ADP settled in at right around QB7, just ahead of Tom Brady. I fully expect the hype on Jimmy G to snowball to the point where he's going at approximately the same place. In other words, ummmm, not a sleeper.

Last 4 games, 14-17. He didn't do much in week 13 vs the bears.
Ah. I see. He's QB4 in my league in ppg if you throw out Wentz and Rodgers one game played each in that same span. 

Definitely impressive and I agree with most here saying that he won't be a sleeper at QB come next year. Especially where I live in the Bay Area. Some 9er fan will take him as the 6th QB off the board. 

J. Crowder. Evan Engram when Bill Bellichick comes to coach the g-men.because ya know, hes coming. i can have hope right? 

Eli Manning whrn he signs with Jax

if Josh McCown can put up pretty gawdy numbers even for him Im sure Kirk Cousins will be superb in a Jets uni.

If the Bills need a wr offer your two first to Gmen for OBJ. or if youre SF offer a first and a 2019 first for OBJ. he might do well with Jimmy G. 

D. Watson.

Bears' Rb Howard proved everyone wrong.hes a STUD. 2 years running now. 

Zeke Elliott at any price is gonna be a bargain..

has K. Drake become a must have RB in Miami?? 

D. Hopkins.absolute stud. 

Simon & Schuster JuJu whatshisname from Pitt
I'm asking for a friend...why Crowder?

For redraft.. 

QB - Mahomes (tons of talent and surrounded by a lot of weapons)

RB - Mixon (still believe he is the most talented RB from last years class and an average rookie year keeps his price down) 

WR - R. Woods (I think he will remain underpriced as the true WR1 of the Rams offense) 

TE - A. Shaheen (Love the talent, and I think the Bears offense is on the way up with Trubisky.  A startable TE that you can get for free) 
Shaheen playing the Kelce roll...Hiring of Nagey

:lmao:  I am so stealing this phrase. It's perfect.

The best parallel I can remember to JG is Nick Foles. On the heels of his 27 TD/2 INT half-season in 2013 I'm sure you could find posts on this board from early '14 tagging him as a "sleeper to target" that summer.

By the time draft season got going in earnest, his ADP settled in at right around QB7, just ahead of Tom Brady. I fully expect the hype on Jimmy G to snowball to the point where he's going at approximately the same place. In other words, ummmm, not a sleeper.
IMO, it's a foregone conclusion that he won't be a sleeper. The real question is, can he deliver value at par? If he's drafted in the top 7, can he finish there?

It's certainly possible, although I think amid all the hype we're overlooking some downside risk. My bigger problem is that, as a late-round QB devotee, a top 10 QB who has to be drafted that way is likely not worth it, since QBs tend to get overdrafted. If I have to take a QB in Round 6 or 7, there is a pretty clear opportunity cost from the RB/WR I'm not taking there. But by 9 or 10, I'm much less concerned.

So then the question becomes which guy who will be taken late next year has the potential upside of a Top 10 QB? Haven't thought about it in depth, but I could see some guys who had disappointing 2016s coming back stronger next year: Dak, Jameis, Carr, maybe a flier on Trubisky becoming the next Goff. Another method is to look at the top scorers and find the guys you're surprised to learn finished where they did. For example, I had no idea until I just checked that Stafford was QB7. It didn't *feel* like he was that good. If other owners share that assessment (and as a point of reference, Matthew Berry's early rankings have him QB14), he could be a value. (By contrast, Brees and Ben and QB10/11 were probably worse than what most people thought they were, because they have a rep as elite QBs).

Like I said, these aren't fully-formed strategies yet, but that's probably how I'll go about targeting QBs next year.

2qb? Even the stud QBs don't usually go much higher than late 1st in my leagues.
Every league is different.  My league, QBs are top point producers.  We have deep benches so if you can get a top dynasty QB you get the top points and an advantage plus it frees up a bench spot to take flyers on RBs/WRs/TEs/and IDPs. 

QBs and WR have the longest dynasty FF lifespans so that advantage carries forward longer as well.  

I like to have one top QB, one 'solid' veteran QB and I like to have one developmental young QB.  I'm picking near the bottom of the round so Mayfield is my target unless I have a shot at  landing a solid RB and I have to do a lot of homework on the RBs.

The top RBs go very early in our rookie draft so I'm being realistic about who might fall to my pick.

For example, I had no idea until I just checked that Stafford was QB7. It didn't *feel* like he was that good. If other owners share that assessment (and as a point of reference, Matthew Berry's early rankings have him QB14), he could be a value. (By contrast, Brees and Ben and QB10/11 were probably worse than what most people thought they were, because they have a rep as elite QBs).

Like I said, these aren't fully-formed strategies yet, but that's probably how I'll go about targeting QBs next year.
It seems like this is the case with Stafford every season. Always available later in my drafts and the value is there if you wait on QB like I do. 

Depending on where he goes, Allen Robinson may be a guy you can get late and easily outproduce his ADP. ACL injuries aren't as devastating as they used to be (see Allen, Keenan).

Every league is different.  My league, QBs are top point producers.  We have deep benches so if you can get a top dynasty QB you get the top points and an advantage plus it frees up a bench spot to take flyers on RBs/WRs/TEs/and IDPs. 

QBs and WR have the longest dynasty FF lifespans so that advantage carries forward longer as well.  

I like to have one top QB, one 'solid' veteran QB and I like to have one developmental young QB.  I'm picking near the bottom of the round so Mayfield is my target unless I have a shot at  landing a solid RB and I have to do a lot of homework on the RBs.

The top RBs go very early in our rookie draft so I'm being realistic about who might fall to my pick.
Sure, every league is different. I've just never been in one that wasn't 2qb where the 5th best QB went in the first round.

The bolded is exactly why owners don't usually need to draft rookie QBs. If your league is larger than 16 teams you might need to get a QB more often, but in mine I could almost certainly trade a late 1st for a better QB than Mayfield.

Now if you think Mayfield is the best ff QB this year that's probably the right spot. But it's a minority opinion I think.

I have to add:

WR's: T. Hill, L. Fitzgerald (should he not retire, he's actually on my highly desired list...)

Yep

In my league he was QB#22 in PPG over the span of all his starts and QB#14 over his last four.  Not sure how he could reach #2 in any scoring format.

Tyree Hill.. With Manhomes will definitely be used more often 
I don't understand why this guy gets continually undervalued.  He finished as the #6 WR in my league this year (#5 in PPG) after finishing #13 last year (#14 PPG).  Are people still not going to value him as a legit stud #1 WR?

QB: Carr - I think he bounces back. This depends on his ADP bump from Chucky. If he's still 9th or later, then I'm in.

WR:  Cooper - I think he drops to the 4th or later and will be a value there. Juju - If Ben comes back he could be a top 18 WR across from AB. Allen Robinson - Depending on landing spot. If he's the clear #1 I think he's very talented and was hamstrung by Bortles.

RB: David Johnson - I think AZ buys a QB and drafts O-line. If this happens I think there's no reason DJ has a bad year, and it seems like people are afraid of him. Hearing his ADP is late 1st. If he's still pick 1/2/3 then maybe not. Austin Ekeler/Chargers #2 RB - I still don't trust Gordon. Fournette - I've heard a lot of analysts badmouthing this guy and I just don't get it. He was banged up for part of the year, and faced off against 9 guys in a box a ton because 0 defenses are afraid of Bortles. If they get a new QB and improve the line further, then teams will have to respect the pass at least a little bit. Alex Smith would be a pretty good QB here (as long as A-Rob is free).

TE: Ertz - He was great with Wentz and will be again. It's really nice having a plug and play TE and he's cheaper than Kelce or Gronk. Howard - Hopefully Brate will be gone. If he's not, then Howard won't be as good. But he already flashed a lot of talent at the end of this season. I expect him to keep improving.

K: Legatron

Ah. I see. He's QB4 in my league in ppg if you throw out Wentz and Rodgers one game played each in that same span. 
There is no legitimate argument for "throwing out" Wentz and Rodgers because there is no legitimate argument that both of them would have been outperformed by Jimmy Garoppolo over any number of games if all of them were healthy.

As I mentioned, Garoppolo finished QB#14 (PPG) in my league over his last four games, the only guys I would "throw out" because of # of games played are Brock Osweiler and David Fales (I honestly had no idea he was even in the league).  Seems like a huge jump from #12 to #2, even #6 seems like a reach.  I can easily see him outperforming Bortles (yes he finished better than Garoppolo over that span) and Flacco (although..) but then I look at guys who finished behind him like Dak, Cousins, Carr, Ryan and a couple guys named Brees and Brady.  So, it's tough for me to see Garoppolo as much more than a mid/low QB1 in a 12 team league.  I don't think the offense is geared for big passing TD numbers and he is a statue in the pocket so he isn't going to supplement much with rushing yards or TDs.

I know plenty of people have called you out for that comment but...still gonna.

No, he's not. I am on board the Garrapolo train but Wilson is the clear top QB in that division and in the conversation for best QB in the NFL.

Heck, Garoppolo still has to earn the right to even be called the second best QB in the NFC West.

I don't think any Oakland Raiders players are going to be undervalued next season.

Gruden's presence is going to propel the hype level through the roof.

Umm... Wow
You misspelled "no"

Users who are viewing this thread