What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players you will avoid in 2018 (1 Viewer)

NeverEnough

Footballguy
As a spinoff to the other thread, who will you avoid in 2018?

For me, it's Diggs, A. Cooper & DT off the top of my head.

Cooper will drop and could be a player you get good value for with Gruden taking over, and what sounds like Crabtree being dropped.  I will be grabbing him next year in the 3rd/4th I'm guessing.

I am not going to avoid anybody.  Everyone has value at some point.  If they drop low enough in cost I would take anyone.
Yeah, real question is, who do you think will be overvalued, and therefore unlikely to end up on your roster? I'm thinking Alshon Jeffery. He managed to stay healthy this year; his track record suggests that won't last.

I also don't see myself targeting Julio in the first. He's an amazing NFL receiver who simply doesn't score enough to put him up there with the other elite fantasy WRs.

I also plan on avoiding the injury-prone TEs (Eifert, Reed). Not worth the agita.

While I agree with Gally that I don't really "avoid" any players (everyone can be drafted at the right price), I generally don't look to draft players coming off of career years.  Kamara and Ingram come to mind.  I am almost certain one of them (if not both) will bust next year given where they will be drafted.

I actually anticipate targeting all three of the players you mentioned. None reached expectations entering the year and thus likely can be had at discount. Cooper is an elite talent who had a down year. Gruden is the new coach and Carr will almost certainly be better. I'd love having Cooper on my squad and will likely no longer have to pay a premium to do so.

Diggs has great production but also an injury history. He can put up WR1 numbers when healthy, so, if the price point is right- I'll jump.

Denver can't possibly have worse QB play than this year an DT was still decent. He may even not be back. Either way, he's a nice buy low candidate for me.

Given the name recognition and "star" power, Dez will be long gone in my league before I'd bite. 
I'm huge on drafting players who performed poorly the year before that I can now get at value/discounts, provided I think they can rebound. Gurley was a third round pick in a lot of leagues of mine and Hopkins a 3/4th round guy, both after being first round picks the previous year. That's the kind of players I love to draft.

Dez won't be one of those guys I think will be had at a value or drafted by me.  Some players big name appeal just never makes them good enough value.

I find the Diggs choice interesting.  I suppose he disappointed those of us who expected him to step into top 12 WR territory, but he still finished WR13 in ppg (ppr).  I know I had high hopes for him, and felt disappointed, until I realized that fact.  It would obviously depend on where he is ranked and what his ADP is, but I suspect he has an opportunity to be a real value next year.

DYNASTY

FAT EDDIE LACY

Dez Bryant 

ANY BROWNS till they improve on and off the field 

ANY TITANS unless they change the coach 

ANY CARDINALS except JOHNSON till we see improvement/quality coach 

ANY SEAHAWKS RB's till they get the OL right 

Yes I know those are blanket statements but I cannot have wasted space on my roster. 

S. Bradford PERIOD FOREVER

Last edited by a moderator:
DeVante Parker has fooled me once, he will get no more chances. 
I'm 0-3 on him but if the price was right I'd return but I don't think the price will be right.  If Landry walks, which I feel about 90% sure happens,  I think his ADP will jump and I'll just have to leave him for someone else.

I actually anticipate targeting all three of the players you mentioned. None reached expectations entering the year and thus likely can be had at discount. Cooper is an elite talent who had a down year. Gruden is the new coach and Carr will almost certainly be better. I'd love having Cooper on my squad and will likely no longer have to pay a premium to do so.

Diggs has great production but also an injury history. He can put up WR1 numbers when healthy, so, if the price point is right- I'll jump.

Denver can't possibly have worse QB play than this year an DT was still decent. He may even not be back. Either way, he's a nice buy low candidate for me.
If Keenum is back, I see more of the same Diggs. Keenum clearly favors Thielen.

If Keenum is back, I see more of the same Diggs. Keenum clearly favors Thielen.
I am not sure about that statement.  Thielen  tapered off on the back half of the year which coincided with Diggs getting healthy.  Diggs had another soft tissue issue early and Thielen took over during that time.  Once Diggs came back and showed he was healthy he actually performed almost the exact same as  Thielen towards the end of the year.   Here are the last  6 games:

Thielen

• W12 - 8 rec/89 yds/0 TD/11 Targets
  • W13 - 4/51/0/5
  • W14 - 6/105/1/12
  • W15 - 3/30/0/5
  • W16 - 2/24/0/6
  • W17 - 6/61/0/7
  •  
Diggs

• W12 - 5/66/0/7
  • W13 - 2/32/0/5
  • W14 - 6/64/0/10
  • W15 - 5/30/1/6
  • W16 - 5/60/1/8
  • W17 - 6/65/1/6

So over the last 6 games Diggs had more TD's with the same receptions on 4 less targets.  I think they are more 1A & 1B with no clear cut favorite when both are healthy.  Thielen has the edge in yards while Diggs in TD's. 

Cooper will drop and could be a player you get good value for with Gruden taking over, and what sounds like Crabtree being dropped.  I will be grabbing him next year in the 3rd/4th I'm guessing.
Own Cooper in several dynasty leagues and so far I have gotten more offers for him than any other player, which indicates he is probably undervalued, or maybe they hope I am disillusioned and will sell him cheap.

Meanwhile Dez owners seem to be shopping him and asking way more than I would pay (like a top 5 rookie pick).

I'll add Martavis Bryant.

Clearly third fiddle now in the passing offense and even if you want to play the "if Brown gets hurt" card, he didn't do much when he had the chance. Another example of a guy with sick raw talent and measurables, but not a very good WR.

Clearly third fiddle now in the passing offense and even if you want to play the "if Brown gets hurt" card, he didn't do much when he had the chance. Another example of a guy with sick raw talent and measurables, but not a very good WR.
After that year off i doubt he is ever the same

I'm not so sure Cooper falls all that much if they release Crabtree, there's not much else there other than Cook.

I don't think he's going to be back on the Steelers. Don't think they will get much for him in a trade, but I think they deal him anyway, like they did with Holmes. Which will likely spike his value in the fantasy community and be all the more reason to not pay his going price.

DYNASTY

FAT EDDIE LACY

Dez Bryant 

ANY BROWNS till they improve on and off the field 

ANY TITANS unless they change the coach 

ANY CARDINALS except JOHNSON till we see improvement/quality coach 

ANY SEAHAWKS RB's till they get the OL right 

Yes I know those are blanket statements but I cannot have wasted space on my roster. 

S. Bradford PERIOD FOREVER
What about Fitz if he comes back? He’s been pretty darn good the last few years.

Yeah, we don't know for sure, but IMO Kamara's numbers are likely not sustainable.  His year may not be a career year...I get that.
I get it, but I don't think we can call it a "career year" yet.

His 12 total TDs are likely to come down - TDs are a very volatile stat - but 75 catches for 742 yards seems fairly normal for the pass catching back in Payton's offense. 684 rushing yards doesn't seem all that much of an "outlier" either. I can see his numbers dropping a bit but depending on where his ADP ends up he can still return value.

Dr. Octopus said:
I get it, but I don't think we can call it a "career year" yet.

His 12 total TDs are likely to come down - TDs are a very volatile stat - but 75 catches for 742 yards seems fairly normal for the pass catching back in Payton's offense. 684 rushing yards doesn't seem all that much of an "outlier" either. I can see his numbers dropping a bit but depending on where his ADP ends up he can still return value.
Kind of like a rich man's Pierre Thomas.

Dr. Dan said:
Ajayi maybe... but I might be back for more on that one we will see
I think it depends if Blount is brought back and, if not, that another hammer isn't brought in to replace him.. If it's primarily Ajayi and Clement in the backfield, I think Ajayi can do very well in that offense. One just has to temper expectations, as his days of a 20+ carry a game guy may be a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tarik Cohen comes to mind for me.  As a Bears fan, already the chatter on him is heating up.  I think he'll be a much better real life player than fantasy player for his career, but the upside versus his ADP I imagine will be too great of a difference.

Gally said:
I am not sure about that statement.  Thielen  tapered off on the back half of the year which coincided with Diggs getting healthy.  Diggs had another soft tissue issue early and Thielen took over during that time.  Once Diggs came back and showed he was healthy he actually performed almost the exact same as  Thielen towards the end of the year.   Here are the last  6 games:

Thielen

• W12 - 8 rec/89 yds/0 TD/11 Targets
  • W13 - 4/51/0/5
  • W14 - 6/105/1/12
  • W15 - 3/30/0/5
  • W16 - 2/24/0/6
  • W17 - 6/61/0/7
  •  
Diggs

• W12 - 5/66/0/7
  • W13 - 2/32/0/5
  • W14 - 6/64/0/10
  • W15 - 5/30/1/6
  • W16 - 5/60/1/8
  • W17 - 6/65/1/6

So over the last 6 games Diggs had more TD's with the same receptions on 4 less targets.  I think they are more 1A & 1B with no clear cut favorite when both are healthy.  Thielen has the edge in yards while Diggs in TD's. 
Appreciate the post. I didn't think it was nearly that close. I stand corrected.

Dr. Dan said:
Diggs is finally off my list.
Crowell is off my list
Ajayi maybe... but I might be back for more on that one we will see
Add Ajayi to my list. I am so glad I traded him for Fournette right after the trade

Because Baldwin was wholly unrealible, and the Seahawks have a lot of holes. I can’t stand counting on Pete Carroll for fantasy points. 
Ok. I'd think that will be factored in to their adp, and Wilson was pretty good last year. 

With bevel and cable gone, I'm thinking there might be promise out there. Fwiw I'm not a fan but I do think Wilson is a top QB.

Heck Wilson was the #1 overall scoring player in Zealots standard leagues, former Phenoms PPR style leagues and #2 in FFPC leagues in 2017. Like him or not as a real life QB but the kid put up monster numbers.

Mene said:
I find the Diggs choice interesting.  I suppose he disappointed those of us who expected him to step into top 12 WR territory, but he still finished WR13 in ppg (ppr).  I know I had high hopes for him, and felt disappointed, until I realized that fact.  It would obviously depend on where he is ranked and what his ADP is, but I suspect he has an opportunity to be a real value next year.
He finishes WR#13 (PPG) in my league as well, 0.7 points behind Adam Thielen, but injury got him but he was WR #38 PPR after week 3.  He was ultimately a huge disappointment, again for reasons beyond his control.

But I agree with the premise that the talent is there, the offense is there for him too, and he is exactly the kind of guy I target as a legit value play with...wait for it...TREMENDOUS UPSIDE!!!

Ok. I'd think that will be factored in to their adp, and Wilson was pretty good last year. 

With bevel and cable gone, I'm thinking there might be promise out there. Fwiw I'm not a fan but I do think Wilson is a top QB.
Pretty good? He finished as the #1 QB in my league.  He is the Seahawks offense.

Users who are viewing this thread