What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please help save the Eagles thread: Who had a better career, McNabb or Romo? (1 Viewer)

modogg

Footballguy
feel free to generalize this thread to all Philly vs. Dallas talk.  :boxing:

other questions to ponder:

1. Wentz vs Dak

2. More insufferable fanbase - Philly or Dallas

feel free to point out the flaws in both

Romo

Wentz

I guess Philly but don't find either fan base that annoying. Cowboys fans haven't had anything to chirp about for 20 years.

McNabb

Wentz

Both
i was going to take a stab at #3, more insufferable fans because i think i may have close to the answer. If we are talking in general and as a whole, i think Cowboys' fans are more  :wall:  and  :tfp: . they may be at a disadvantage being spread across the country, but average Cowboys fan is likely less knowledgeable and more annoying to deal with.

However, i would wager that comparing the "worst" (i'll argue worse can be subjective) of both fanbases, Eagles can win that easily. When you run into one of these annoying/ignorant/dumb fans, the bottom of the barrel for the Eagles is worse. 

i was going to take a stab at #3, more insufferable fans because i think i may have close to the answer. If we are talking in general and as a whole, i think Cowboys' fans are more  :wall:  and  :tfp: . they may be at a disadvantage being spread across the country, but average Cowboys fan is likely less knowledgeable and more annoying to deal with.

However, i would wager that comparing the "worst" (i'll argue worse can be subjective) of both fanbases, Eagles can win that easily. When you run into one of these annoying/ignorant/dumb fans, the bottom of the barrel for the Eagles is worse. 
Very fair point. 

McNabb. He didn't win the big one......but Romo didn't even really win ANY of the little ones. That being said, it's closer than most Eagles fans want to admit and McNabb really only takes it because of the dual threat he was. I don't know if Romo's passing numbers were inflated because the NFL changed  somewhere around 2010.

Wentz.  Wentz looks like he's ready to ascend to upper tier.  Prescott regressed in his second year.  Not to say Prescott isn't going to be good though.

Cowboys fans.  Americas Team is an arrogant statement.  Aside from the threat of physical violence at the old Vet....not really sure why other NFL fanbases hate the Eagles. 

Romos one of the best stat compilers, regular season QBs of recent times.  But since he never won any big games I don't know how you can put him ahead of someone like McNabb who won oodles of playoff games and division titles.  Obviously no Superbowls but Tony didn't even get close to one

One thing I doubt you'll ever see in Dallas is an Eagle's fan waiting until the fourth quarter when the Birds have the game in hand and the fan then disrobes to reveal his Eagles jersey underneath. I've seen this at the Linc (never the Vet though because back then you'd get killed) numerous times when I've been there as the Cowboys won and the cockroaches would take off the outer layer to reveal their Dallas gear. You can't get away with that now these days pummeling a cockroach like that. So based on that, Dallas fans are the worst because they are craven and cowardly. Oh wait, it's 2018 so let me add the PC disclaimer: not all Dallas fans, just some LOL.

Playoff Record speaks for itself. McNabb.

Wentz. I mean come on. Guy was playing the position this year as well as anyone I've ever seen. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
McNabb

Wentz right now, but it's still too early to tell.

As for fans, I don't have strong opinions on any of them, but one thing I've noticed is that there are certain teams across sports that we tend to think of as being elite, even though they no longer are (or never were). Notre Dame football. The English national soccer team. They're almost always decent, and may occasionally make you think they're contenders, but you know in the end they'll come up short.

That description kind of fits both Philly and Dallas. But in my experience, Philly fans have been much better at maintaining their irrational confidence. Dallas fans have been so beaten down by the last couple decades they've become fatalistic (to be fair, they have suffered some heartbreaking playoff losses). When the Lions played the Cowboys in the playoffs a few years ago, I posted something on Facebook about how I expected the "same ol' Lions" to blow it. A childhood friend who was a Cowboys fan said it was funny to hear me say that, because he viewed his team the same way. The notion that a Cowboys fan could be as fatalistic as a Lions fan seemed utterly foreign to me.(And for the record, I was proven right. Never try to out-pessimist a Lions fan!)

So I guess by that standard, Eagles fans are more insufferable. But there's something tragic about their delusion, which makes them sympathetic.

Ah, Eagle fans.

Back in '79 ( age 14), I moved from Arlington, TX to Bucks County, PA - I was the world's biggest Cowboy fan. The thing that shocked me most about the Eagles was that they actually had fans. From afar, all I'd ever seen was a pitiful franchise. For all the grief I took when the Eagles beat the Cowboys in the NFCCG, it was so sweet a week or two later when the Raiders won the Super Bowl.

Good times,

Sincerely, Tex

McNabb>Romo>Wentz>Prescott

That said that list could be the exact opposite in a few years. McNabb and Romo were both good, but nothing special QBs.

Romo crushes McNabb as a broadcaster though.

Cowboys fanbase is more insufferable, though neither is at the top of the list. In general football has the most tolerable fans of any of the big 4 sports in my opinion, no NFL fanbase is Yankees bad. I've tended to find Eagles fans entirely reasonable other than the cheering of Irvin's injury.

That said that list could be the exact opposite in a few years. McNabb and Romo were both good, but nothing special QBs.

Cowboys fanbase is more insufferable, though neither is at the top of the list. In general football has the most tolerable fans of any of the big 4 sports in my opinion, no NFL fanbase is Yankees bad. I've tended to find Eagles fans entirely reasonable other than the cheering of Irvin's injury.
They didn't cheer Irvin's injury.

ETA: They were booing because Deion Sanders was doing some sort of raindance around Irvin....trying to get him up.  And they weren't even booing Deion's "spiritual" nature.....they were booing because Deion, as "Prime Time", "Neon" Deion does....was making it about himself and NOT Irvin. 

Romo's broadcasting might vault him ahead of McNabb?

McNabb certainly had the better "career",  If the debate is who was the better QB, that's a different discussion.  I think Romo was probably a little better then McNabb - but they're close.  Can't just cite "stats" without seeing Romo play with Thrash, Pinkston, and Freddy Mitchell for several years.

Both fambases are different kinds of terrible.

Dallas fans are seemingly everywhere due to their past success but are some of the most fairweather and uninformed fans ever. My coworker (born and raised in maryland with redskins fan parents) swears hes been a dallas fan his whole life but doesnt know who tyron smith is. 

Philly fans in my experience are far more knowledgeable but just as unpleasant. I don't know if there is a fanbase where there is a higher chance that the fan is going to ruin everyone's evening.

I have to deal with many more idiot cowboys fans but when i meet a phily fan its usually worse.

1. Romo

2. Wentz

3. Push. I’m a Cowboy fan and the level of knowledge is often shockingly low. Even worse is the fair weather fans. I grew up in New England and have always liked the Cowboys. I have lots of friends who grew up liking the Cowboys then suddenly becoming Patriots fans when the Pats ascended. As for Eagles fans, they talk like they’ve won something...ever.

McNabb

Wentz

Philly. Such an ungrateful, miserable fan base that doesn't like anything management has ever done. All they do is complain. City doesn't deserve a franchise tbh.

Philly fans in my experience are far more knowledgeable but just as unpleasant. I don't know if there is a fanbase where there is a higher chance that the fan is going to ruin everyone's evening.
:lmao:

Phiily fan here but that might be the funniest (and sadly) truest statement in this thread yet.

McNabb

Wentz

Philly. Such an ungrateful, miserable fan base that doesn't like anything management has ever done. All they do is complain. City doesn't deserve a franchise tbh.
Ummm. Guess you haven't been following the praise on Howie last couple of years...

And should we be grateful for Andy Reid's whole tenure? Rich Kotite? Chip Kelly? Danny Watkins? Give me a break man...

Romo's broadcasting might vault him ahead of McNabb?
Good catch. I should have said that Prescott and Wentz could be 1-2 in either order.

Though if you want to count broadcasting as an NFL contribution, its certainly possible that Romo does enough there to pass McNabb, hell he may have already. I think he's the best color commentator in the league right now. 

Good catch. I should have said that Prescott and Wentz could be 1-2 in either order.

Though if you want to count broadcasting as an NFL contribution, its certainly possible that Romo does enough there to pass McNabb, hell he may have already. I think he's the best color commentator in the league right now. 
At first I hated him as a commentator because his voice just sounded awkward and unpleasant. Then I loved him because his in game reads and telling us "what the qb was thinking/might do next" taught me lots about the game. But now it just seems very forced and he tries to predict things too much.  Still think he's good but I've been up and down on him. 

At first I hated him as a commentator because his voice just sounded awkward and unpleasant. Then I loved him because his in game reads and telling us "what the qb was thinking/might do next" taught me lots about the game. But now it just seems very forced and he tries to predict things too much.  Still think he's good but I've been up and down on him. 
I never had that initial hate period, I instantly liked that he sounded different for pretty much anyone else, but the same positives stood out to me about putting us the viewer in the QB's shoes in a way no other announcer does. I agree he's gotten very prediction heavy lately, but that is probably CBS constantly trying to maximize the thing that people like about him. 

I never had that initial hate period, I instantly liked that he sounded different for pretty much anyone else, but the same positives stood out to me about putting us the viewer in the QB's shoes in a way no other announcer does. I agree he's gotten very prediction heavy lately, but that is probably CBS constantly trying to maximize the thing that people like about him. 
agreed he is being pushed to keep doing what was catchy. But boy, when he is off or guesses wrong is it annoying quickly. I think it was the playoff game he just did, but he was off on 2 things that i can remember that he just wouldn't let go

McNabb luckily had Jim Johnson and his top 3 defense to couple with Andy Reid's super friendly QB offense. He needed to score about 14 to win most games. He was the gun at the knife fight and still couldn't win it all. Most overrated/luckiest QB ever. 

McNabb luckily had Jim Johnson and his top 3 defense to couple with Andy Reid's super friendly QB offense. He needed to score about 14 to win most games. He was the gun at the knife fight and still couldn't win it all. Most overrated/luckiest QB ever. 
To be fair the wrs McNabb had early on were some  of the worst I have ever seen.  I mean real bad.  Remember Freddie Mitchell?

Users who are viewing this thread