Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mister CIA

***Official*** Beto O'Rourke Thread

I just listened to the 90 minute podcast with David Axelrod.  

We usually hear Beto talk during stump speeches so it's nice to hear him away from that.  Lots of interesting stuff about his background including The Cult of the Dead Cow, the drunk driving incident and the death of his father.  

Why is it is seems like the further left these politicians are the harder they hold on to their own wallets?  They want to forcibly extract huge sums to pay for their "free" this or that, but on a voluntary basis... not so much.  1k charitable contributions on 370k of income is shameful if one is pursuing public service.

Drawing firm conclusions about someone’s generosity from his tax returns is precarious because there are an awful lot of ways to donate one’s time or money to good causes that don’t involve writing a check to a tax-exempt organization.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Drawing firm conclusions about someone’s generosity from his tax returns is precarious because there are an awful lot of ways to donate one’s time or money to good causes that don’t involve writing a check to a tax-exempt organization.

Agreed. Do you feel the same about a company like Amazon? 

34 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Agreed. Do you feel the same about a company like Amazon? 

Are we still talking about tax-deductible donations, or are you asking about Amazon’s tax liability? If the latter, I’m against state and local governments giving tax breaks or other special benefits to specific, targeted companies. (The same would obviously be true for federal income tax breaks as well, but I don’t think that’s relevant to Amazon. The reason Amazon hasn’t paid much federal income tax so far is that it hasn’t had much net income so far.)

38 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Are we still talking about tax-deductible donations, or are you asking about Amazon’s tax liability? If the latter, I’m against state and local governments giving tax breaks or other special benefits to specific, targeted companies. (The same would obviously be true for federal income tax breaks as well, but I don’t think that’s relevant to Amazon. The reason Amazon hasn’t paid much federal income tax so far is that it hasn’t had much net income so far.)

More the second... but food for thought on Amazon. I'm sure there is an economic term for it, but is passing a saving to increase the quality of life for users a fair substitute for taxes?

In today's world almost everyone can afford flat screen TVs. So is it a net benefit to the country if a $800 dollar TV now costs $1000 and amazon pays the $200 difference on the back half to the government. Or should we leave buying power and fluid wealth to the consumer?

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Thinking of all the good work the Trump Foundation did warms my soul.

19 minutes ago, The General said:

Thinking of all the good work the Trump Foundation did warms my soul.

If you donate extra - they toss in a Vodka Martini and a happy ending.

5 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Beto is a real cheap guy when it comes to charity 

Using charity to buy pictures of himself?

26 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Beto is a real cheap guy when it comes to charity 

He was asked about this today and his answer was not very good.

Kind of nice to know this if it is important to you, no?

Edited by The General
  • Like 1

So we now know Beto lied about his first day numbers. He mixed in money raised for the general election, which he can't spend unless he gets the nomination, with money raised for the primary so he could say he beat Bernie. Bernie didn't report monies raised for the general amongst his first 24 hours total.  Beto was not the only one to do this. We also know now that Beto is still taking money from oil lobbyists. 

Interestingly enough Pete has been raising money but due to the timing of his announcement we won't get any details until the next reporting deadline. Purely coincidental I'm sure. Nothing to do with raising money from bundlers.

Edited by NCCommish

17 hours ago, NCCommish said:

So we now know Beto lied about his first day numbers. He mixed in money raised for the general election, which he can't spend unless he gets the nomination, with money raised for the primary so he could say he beat Bernie. Bernie didn't report monies raised for the general amongst his first 24 hours total.  Beto was not the only one to do this. We also know now that Beto is still taking money from oil lobbyists. 

Interestingly enough Pete has been raising money but due to the timing of his announcement we won't get any details until the next reporting deadline. Purely coincidental I'm sure. Nothing to do with raising money from bundlers.

Is there a level of small donor support that Pete could hit that would mollify you?

I'm not suggesting you're unable to be pleased with anything less than 100% small donor funded campaigns, but I'm truly curious whether anything short of what Bernie's doing can suffice.

35 minutes ago, adonis said:

Is there a level of small donor support that Pete could hit that would mollify you?

I'm not suggesting you're unable to be pleased with anything less than 100% small donor funded campaigns, but I'm truly curious whether anything short of what Bernie's doing can suffice.

I dont think Pete is going to prioritize small donors at all. I think he will be very happy to take big donations. I think he is a third wayer.

still a big Beto fan

• Like 1

Oh Beto....

In case anyone was wondering, Yes his great great great grandfather owned a couple women.