What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Beto O'Rourke Thread (1 Viewer)

The press and those concerned about diversity and privilege were all over Beto from the jump. He never had a chance, really.

Count me as one surprised he didn't do better. I thought after the Senate race he was ready to make some noise. Seemed charismatic and ready.

How much do you think his strong stance on gun control with the "Hell yes, we're coming for your AR 15's" was an issue? I can see how that might not have worked in the general election but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at this point. 
Even though it’s a bit busy, I like looking at this chart.   Beto was doing fine in the beginning.  Chart even has him in third around the beginning of the year.  Like you mention, many people liked what they heard from him in the Senate race and thought he might be an inspirational candidate.

But as we went into summer, his numbers went down as people started likely other candidates like Warren, Harris and even Buttigieg. Beto never seems to capitalize on that early success. By the time of the “Hell, Yes!”  comment, his numbers were already down to about 2% and didn’t move from there.

At a certain point he went from looking genuine, to looking over-consulted and inauthentic.  He looked like the DNC consultant circuit's hollowed-out version of an inspiring candidate with actual principles.  He stood out in particular running against someone with negative appeal like Ted Cruz.  I remember the huge BETO hype.  Once that ended, and he was up against other candidates with more charm and convincing messaging, it was curtains for Roberto.  

The press and those concerned about diversity and privilege were all over Beto from the jump. He never had a chance, really.
Plus he needs to rehearse a different type of delivery as what he does is OK for small group town hall rallies but is very annoying after seeing him a couple times.  O`Rourke`s wild hand and arm gyrations take away from the content he is talking about.

Plus he needs to rehearse a different type of delivery as what he does is OK for small group town hall rallies but is very annoying after seeing him a couple times.  O`Rourke`s wild hand and arm gyrations take away from the content he is talking about.
He's very tweaky.

Beto was politically immature and poorly run, but he was who a lot of lefties were looking for from the post-Bernie gen of Dems.

Although, as a Vermonter, I know that Bernie Sanders has always been 10lbs of #### in a 5lb bag so did not interrupt my boycott of national politics to support his '16 bid, his politics are actually closer to mine than any presidential candidate since Gene McCarthy. I was mightily surprised that his message resonated with so many young people when his campaign began as such an outlier, so was intrigued to see how the Party would grow this out for '18 & '20.

It didn't. The party machinery that stole the nom for Hillary had absolutely no interest in the first populist wave the Democrats had seen since the counterculture and did nothing developmentally. I commented on that mistake several times on these boards in the year after Trump's victory. Fortuitously, the rush to reverse Trump in '18 resulted in a lot of women & people of color into the process and they, individually, brought a lot of the Bern they learned in '16 with their platforms.

But, if one stipulated that Sanders was never going to win a national election, there wasn't really another national figure to inherit the traditional leftist mantle. Until another anyone-but- candidate popped up in Texas. Beto O'Rourke is very much like what white liberals are like, which is why so many had so much hope for him. If i was still interested in the process (i wouldnt have been til my mancrush on Peteyjudge), i woulda stuck a pin in Beto, looked around for a woman or non-white who represented similar ideas, and then come back to O'Rourke as the inheritor of the Sanders ideal.

As many know, i have never been in the anyone-but-Trump camp. I believe electing a most-likely-to-win candidate in 2020 enables the same disease of which the current president is a symptom. Since the Trump-led GOP appears capped in the mid-to-low 40%s for the upcoming, NOW is the time to show the sense in the leftist agenda and use the other side's weakness to push it over the top. And Beto would have been the poster boy for that.

But he never was the adult in the room and POTUS is the national parent, after all. He should have unapologetically staked out the ground that @Joe Bryant was asking about - eat the rich, take their guns, elevate fairness & opportunity - because the poll numbers don't lie. THAT's what America wants. It's just that they also want to be able to do whatever the hell they want to do if they should ever make it to the top and media uses that to keep them afraid of their better angels. If i had run Beto, it would have been a "you know it's true" adult version of the progressive agenda, and i'd have broken precedent by inviting fellow thiiiis close-r Stacey Abrams (in case y'all havent checked her out, she's almost as impressive and much more powerful an indivdual as Mayor Pete) as an early-ticket partner and together tell America that this is our time, it is morning in America again, FOR EVERYBODY. But nope, not even close. He plays cute, then flashes his truth as a late, desperate ploy which ultimately revealed that his true color is ambition like the rest of em. Good riddance.

Count me as one surprised he didn't do better. I thought after the Senate race he was ready to make some noise. Seemed charismatic and ready.

How much do you think his strong stance on gun control with the "Hell yes, we're coming for your AR 15's" was an issue? I can see how that might not have worked in the general election but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at this point. 
I thought he was going to do better as well.

The gun stuff from him came quite a bit after he was fizzling IIRC.

Man, this guy really fell off the face of the earth.  It seemed like he might have had a bright future in some other state, but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread