What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boston recommendations (1 Viewer)

Tecumseh

Footballguy
The wife and I are heading to Boston Feb 2-5th. Looking for recommendations on must see type stuff. I know the weather will likely suck, but I'm very interested in the historical aspect, so a guided walking tour is not out of the question. Is the Boston Tea Party museum worth it? What else should we make a point to see? Also, we are considering renting a car and driving up to Portland. Would that be worth it? Anything interesting up there or along the way?

For that short a duration skip any side trips (ie no Portland)

there are lots of threads on this... would be a good search

Skip the tea party thing... 

heres 5 things I might recommend

1. Guided tour of Harvard is very good, and Harvard Square at night is cool

2. USS Constitution is amazing, and one thing that you can only really see in Boston. Weather permitting a must do

3. Get a guided North End tour. Look for one (most of em do) that mix food, sights, and maybe a little wine. 

4. Go to http://www.walkboston.org/ and find an interesting one. 

5. Go see the Mapparium. One of the hidden gems in Boston

heres things to skip:

-Sam Adams tour

-the big museums (cool but there are more unique things to see)

-Fenway tour (save it for a warmer month)

-duck tour (save it for a warmer month)

Two restaurants to get reservation now

1. sarma - good is outstanding, one of the hottest place in the city

2. Craigie on Main. Haven’t had a better meal, get the bone marrow if available 

Portland is great in the summer but would only visit now if you are a serious beer nerd- Bissel Brothers, Foundation, Austin Street. Otherwise I would pass now

Likewise in Boston the seaport is a fun place to visit in the summer. Wouldn’t want to hang there in Feb.

The Freedom Trail is good if you are prepared for the weather

Two restaurants to get reservation now

1. sarma - good is outstanding, one of the hottest place in the city

2. Craigie on Main. Haven’t had a better meal, get the bone marrow if available 
:goodposting:

Havent been to sama but Craigie is great

for seafood Neptune Oyster is tremendous but if you really want something special but extremely pricey try Ostra

Will echo recommendations of the Harvard tour and Harvard square, lots of cool historical buildings. Constitution is great if you can swing it. Gotta do the North end for food and go to Bova's Bakery or Mike's Pastry for desert. There is a historical aspect to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market but it can be overly touristy, kind of meh.  Walking tour would be great but the city will be cold and windy. 

Come back when it's warm  :)

Thanks everyone. This was a spur of the moment decision (read: not well thought out, season-wise). I saw $100 round trip and $35 hotel and jumped on it.

Thanks everyone. This was a spur of the moment decision (read: not well thought out, season-wise). I saw $100 round trip and $35 hotel and jumped on it.
$35 hotel in Boston?  Are you statying in Roxbury/Dorchester area?

Great meal at Durgin Park if you are looking for an old time throwback kind of setting.  (Get the Prime Rib!)

Last edited by a moderator:
$35 hotel in Boston?  Are you statying in Roxbury/Dorchester area?

Great meal at Durgin Park if you are looking for an old time throwback kind of setting.  (Get the Prime Rib!)
Actually, it looks like my reservation did not go through, so I have some options. Considering that we don't necessarily want to rent a car, which of these locations would be better for easy access from the airport, and sight seeing (all are the same price):

145 Beech Street, Chelsea, Massachusetts, 02150, USA

811 Massachusetts Ave, Boston 02118

111 Boylston St, Brookline, 02445

The first is across from Chelsea High, next to the new FBI building. Don’t stay there, not a very safe area

2nd is at Melnea Cass/ Mass Ave. again, not safe, don’t stay there

3rd is right off Brookline Village. That’s the one you want, great location. 

Actually, it looks like my reservation did not go through, so I have some options. Considering that we don't necessarily want to rent a car, which of these locations would be better for easy access from the airport, and sight seeing (all are the same price):

145 Beech Street, Chelsea, Massachusetts, 02150, USA

811 Massachusetts Ave, Boston 02118

111 Boylston St, Brookline, 02445
With all those you still have to take public transportation, the 811 Massachusetts ave is the closest but still in a sketchy part of town.

Not sure of your budget, but a couple of reasonable hotels in the the touristy area are:

Club Quarters Hotel

Holiday Inn Express, right across the street from the TD Banknorth Garden

Omni Parker House 

Hilton Downtown/Fanueil Hall

What about:

191 Monsignor O'Brien Highway, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02141

821 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02111 

240 Mt. Vernon Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02125 

The last 2 are slightly more expensive, but that's ok if they are better location-wise.

What about:

191 Monsignor O'Brien Highway, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02141

821 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02111 

240 Mt. Vernon Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02125 

The last 2 are slightly more expensive, but that's ok if they are better location-wise.
First and third are sort of not great areas, like geographically 

2nd is a good area (a little mixed but really fine), very walkable to a lot, just realize it is next to a busy hospital. 

I didnt look up hotels, only the area, but prefer Brookline of the 6. Check reviews of #2 above and if noise is ok that works well too 

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I booked the 811 Mass. Ave hotel. Free airport and downtown shuttle, free breakfast, etc.If the price drops on the Hilton/Fanueil, I can always switch.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I booked the 811 Mass. Ave hotel. Free airport and downtown shuttle, free breakfast, etc.If the price drops on the Hilton/Fanueil, I can always switch.
You booked the one I said “not safe, don’t stay there”? ?

When I am judging it “safe/not safe” I basically am picturing an out of town family walking back to the hotel. 

Its safe if you lived there and knew your way around, but I wouldn’t want my wife walking around there with the kids after dark 

When I am judging it “safe/not safe” I basically am picturing an out of town family walking back to the hotel. 

Its safe if you lived there and knew your way around, but I wouldn’t want my wife walking around there with the kids after dark 
What if Tecumseh was looking for some easy access to methadone? GREAT location!

First and third are sort of not great areas, like geographically 

2nd is a good area (a little mixed but really fine), very walkable to a lot, just realize it is next to a busy hospital. 

I didnt look up hotels, only the area, but prefer Brookline of the 6. Check reviews of #2 above and if noise is ok that works well too 
Yes, the Doubletree (821 Washington) is a good hotel and right next to the Orange Line as well. Used to stay here when my company would put us up in the city during snowstorms. The fact that it is the converted former Don Bosco HS is kind of interesting as well (you would never know from the rooms, but you can tell by looking at the stairways from floor to floor). The hospital traffic/noise shouldn't bother you at all and it's walkable to a lot of different spots downtown.

Dickie Dunn said:
I agree. Had never been until a couple of months ago. Realized how little I really had spent wandering around that part of the North End.
Nice thing is they also have a shop in Medford 

MrJimmy said:
Or...skip the wait and go to Modern or Maria’s, depending what you’re looking for.
Maria's all the way.

Real deal Italian bakery, not a tourist trap.

Had a great time in Boston over the weekend, and got home last night. We ended up having a rental car, and staying in a hotel in Cambridge. Aside from the ridiculous parking fees around town (the hotel had free parking), this actually worked out really well. We started out Friday night by hitting Harvard Square. Even though it was colder than hell, we walked around a good bit and then had dinner at Grendel's Pub. On Saturday, we crossed the river and did the USS Constitution, Chinatown and some Freedom Trail sites. The most memorable was probably the Granary cemetery. Then Saturday night we went back to Cambridge and found a dive bar around the corner from the hotel called the Courtside. People there were super nice, and we had a great time. On Sunday we went to the North End and walked around awhile until it started to rain. Grabbed a cannoli at Modern, and then headed for the coast. The wife wanted to see Salem, so we drove out and walked around there for awhile. Super tacky, but still kind of fun. One of my goals for the trip was to have a lobster roll, so we drove out to Gloucester and went to Essex Seafood. For the price, lobster rolls have to be the most overrated food in existence. Holy ####. $20 for some lobster salad on a piece of toast. At least the chowder was worth it... After that, we headed back to the hotel and watched the game.

On Monday, the only thing that I considered a must-do was the Warren Tavern. After checking out of the hotel, we had some time to kill, so we went and walked around the North End again (I could live there), and then headed to the tavern. That was probably the highlight of the trip for me. I'm a huge history nerd, so knowing that I was walking, and eating and drinking where George Washington and Paul Revere did the same was amazing. I was literally having a little trouble breathing if I thought about it too much. Just absolutely amazing.  After the tavern we went up to the Bunker Hill memorial. Monday was the first day that they were allowing people to climb the memorial after it being closed for a month or so, so I got lucky. The wife wisely declined the climb, but I went up all 294 steps. Pretty sure I had a minor heart attack afterward, and my legs are killing me today, but I made it. Great views all around, but couldn't really appreciate it since I was actively dying. My thighs were so locked up that I was walking funny the rest of the day.

After the memorial it was off to the airport for the flight home. Even that was pleasant. Logan is easy to navigate, and security was a breeze. Way better than ATL. All in all, we had a great time. I'd like to come back when it's warm, but I feel like we hit most of the stuff I wanted to see. One pleasant surprise was that the people were so nice. I expected a much rougher vibe, but pretty much everyone we met was extremely nice and very gracious.

Thanks for all the tips in here!

A friend and I are taking our 16 year boys to a game at Fenway in early July and I'm looking for hotel recommendations.  Looking at The Millenium, The Park Plaza and The Godfrey.  Anything other hotels I should be considering for a guys trip?

For those into the beer scene, Sam Adams Brick Red is only available on draft in the Boston city metro area - no distribution for it outside of the metro area.  

Would definitely grab a pint if you are looking for something like that.

Boston guys...

Best neighborhood to buy or rent a small house in the greater Boston area with a little bit of green space and maybe a small yard?  Cambridge or so?  Where should I be looking?  (no shared walls, just a free standing home)

Thx!

Hello any of you FBGs who live in or around Boston or who might just know from visiting...

I need a bar to watch the Saints-Bengals game in a couple weeks, any good suggestions? 

Also one good restaurant that you’d say is a must try.

I spent a good amount of time in Boston a few years back but I’ve lost the knack I’m sure. I’ll be near downtown, so looking for anything near there or North End but even Back Bay is fine.

Thanks.

Hello any of you FBGs who live in or around Boston or who might just know from visiting...

I need a bar to watch the Saints-Bengals game in a couple weeks, any good suggestions? 

Also one good restaurant that you’d say is a must try.

I spent a good amount of time in Boston a few years back but I’ve lost the knack I’m sure. I’ll be near downtown, so looking for anything near there or North End but even Back Bay is fine.

Thanks.
Patriots play at same time. That will be your challenge. 

Baseball Tavern is the saints bar, should be good to go there 

Heading there next month and will be staying next to Copley Place. 

Interested in food/restaurant recommendations, especially within walking distance (1 mile or less).  Open to eating most any kind of food. 

Also, will take any other recommendations of things to do that are worth checking out, especially in that area, that hasn't been mentioned above (or that has and is a must-see).

Interested in food/restaurant recommendations, especially within walking distance (1 mile or less).  Open to eating most any kind of food. 

Also, will take any other recommendations of things to do that are worth checking out, especially in that area, that hasn't been mentioned above (or that has and is a must-see).
Salty Pig

Bumping this thread for some tips and insight.  I am planning a family trip (kids are older 18 and 19 yr) for the summer of '22 that will consist of time in Boston and then onto Acadia NP in Maine.  I am trying to figure out how much time to budget for Boston and some of the "must dos" while there.  We have not been to Boston before.  Interested in decent food, especially anything unique to Boston, historical sites, convenient place to stay. Is there a decent hotel within walking distance of main sites of interest?  Trying to decide if we will fly in and then rent a car for the Maine leg of the journey or just drive the whole thing.  Is it pretty easy to get around Boston without a car...walking, public transport or uber for 4? 

Glancing through this thread, it looks like @wilked suggested a couple of restaurants.  Are these still viable 4 years later?  Looks like the USS Constitution is a must.  Which other sites along the Freedom Trail are worthy of time spent?  We are thinking about taking in a Red Sox game at Fenway (at least 2 out of 4 of us are interested...lol).  Looks like the Yankees are in town during one of the weeks we are looking at.  Tough to get tickets for that series?   I am an old fan of the Cheers TV series...any value to visiting the original or is it a big nothingburger?

2-3 days enough to take in the Boston basics?

Mooncusser. Amazing 

who you going with? Solo, spouse, full family? 

Bumping this thread for some tips and insight.  I am planning a family trip (kids are older 18 and 19 yr) for the summer of '22 that will consist of time in Boston and then onto Acadia NP in Maine.  I am trying to figure out how much time to budget for Boston and some of the "must dos" while there.  We have not been to Boston before.  Interested in decent food, especially anything unique to Boston, historical sites, convenient place to stay. Is there a decent hotel within walking distance of main sites of interest?  Trying to decide if we will fly in and then rent a car for the Maine leg of the journey or just drive the whole thing.  Is it pretty easy to get around Boston without a car...walking, public transport or uber for 4? 

Glancing through this thread, it looks like @wilked suggested a couple of restaurants.  Are these still viable 4 years later?  Looks like the USS Constitution is a must.  Which other sites along the Freedom Trail are worthy of time spent?  We are thinking about taking in a Red Sox game at Fenway (at least 2 out of 4 of us are interested...lol).  Looks like the Yankees are in town during one of the weeks we are looking at.  Tough to get tickets for that series?   I am an old fan of the Cheers TV series...any value to visiting the original or is it a big nothingburger?

2-3 days enough to take in the Boston basics?
How many days is the total trip? A week?

if that, I’d do 2-3 days in Boston, a full day and night in Portland ME, and 2-3 days in Acadia. 

of the restaurants I noted above, Craigie on Main is now closed…

Users who are viewing this thread