What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asking for the salary range of an internally posted position (1 Viewer)

lumpy19

Footballguy
I don't want to waste my time/effort applying for the job only to find out the salary is not what I expect.

It's difficult because HR knows exactly what I currently make.  I know this position is a promotion but it's a brutal job, I'm willing to take it on if the pay is right.

I'm thinking about asking HR lady(who's new to the company) the salary range before applying.

Thoughts?

I don't want to waste my time/effort applying for the job only to find out the salary is not what I expect.

It's difficult because HR knows exactly what I currently make.  I know this position is a promotion but it's a brutal job, I'm willing to take it on if the pay is right.

I'm thinking about asking HR lady(who's new to the company) the salary range before applying.

Thoughts?
My wife just got promoted to a job internally where she had to apply and interview for the position. 

She knew beforehand what level the position was and the salary parameters for that job. I see no reason why you cannot ask HR what the salary parameters are for that job.

While I’m inclined to agree with you about not wanting to waste your time, I would wait until you’re offered the position before negotiating salary. You can always turn it down later or negotiate it higher. 

Mother positives may come about even if you don’t get the job, interview practice, management knows you’re looking to improve, shows confidence, etc. Good luck. 

While I’m inclined to agree with you about not wanting to waste your time, I would wait until you’re offered the position before negotiating salary. You can always turn it down later or negotiate it higher. 

Mother positives may come about even if you don’t get the job, interview practice, management knows you’re looking to improve, shows confidence, etc. Good luck. 
Negotiation is different IMO. Most jobs have a range. 

Yeah tough call on how to handle that.  I'd probably say you're interested but you know it's a lot of extra responsibility or whatever and ask what the range is

I get not wanting to go through the whole process to take on a lot more work for 5% or something 

Thoughts?
Just ask? The worst thing they'll say is that they don't share that info.

Not wanting to go through the process is only a concern if it will negatively affect your current position in some way.  Like if your current boss would take it as a negative in some way.

I always encouraged my direct reports to go after other internal positions if I thought it would be better for them.  Keeping good people at a company is always a good thing even if it momentarily hurts your area by losing a good person.  Much better than the person leaving altogether.

There is nothing wrong with asking for the salary range as it should be posted as part of the job description.

Recent employment laws in many states have made it illegal for companies to ask about one’s salary history. Not sure how that would apply to a company you work for since they would already know what you make but you shouldn’t have any hesitation to ask for a salary range. We are moving in a direction where companies won’t have any choice but to provide the range to all candidates.

Yeah but you probably don't want to be seen as someone who's only in it for the money so I get the hesitation 
It's a very fair question to ask, I don't see the harm. 

I'm intrigued by this job, do you know what the salary range is? I don't see the negative here, personally... 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
The negative is that the salary range is good for me, i apply for the job but HR lady thinks I only want the job for the money.
Just be honest and let her know you are just trying to get all the information about the potential position.  I would doubt (hope) that it wouldn't be held against you.

Thoughts?
I once was able to copy an unique part of an internal job description into Google and found a salary range listed on a recruiter's website.  

It's a very fair question to ask, I don't see the harm. 

I'm intrigued by this job, do you know what the salary range is? I don't see the negative here, personally... 
Exactly. You don't have to say "Hey HR broad, before I waste my time applying, how much would you pay me?"

I dont see any reason why asking would cause a problem. Everyone places a certain value on their time and stress level.

I'm currently working a job that I'm very overqualified for from a skill/experience perspective (Left the company, hated it elsewhere and came back to a different,less challenging role just to get my foot back in the door) The pay is good but I'm bored and staying in this role would basically be a dead end in my career. (there's no skill development for me) Unfortunately, my company requires me to be in this job for another 9 months before I can post for another position. But when I do start posting, you can be damn sure I'm gonna ask what the pay is before I get too deep into the process.  While I'm not feeling especially fulfilled right now, I'm basically under no work related pressure and can walk out the door at 5 o'clock pretty much every day without a care the world. It would be tough to give that up for a 5-10% bump.

I dont think that's unreasonable and I dont think turning down a promotion for "only a small increase" reflects negatively on you. (unless you're in some crazy competitive industry and strive for upper management)

I'd be happy if the salary was in the range Glassdoor stated.

Google turned up nothing on the job other than the position posted on the company LinkedIn page(with no salary range)

One other concern, I've made it to round 2 of another internally posted job and have that interview next week.(different HR Dept)

So annoying when places don't list a range at least. Many times it is a waste of everyone's time if the actual range is too high or too low for the applicant

They should have a range that you can inquire about without any negative implications.  If the job does not pay what you are asking for then it is pointless to even apply.  I have asked multiple times when looking at jobs that were outside of my current job track.

They should have a range that you can inquire about without any negative implications.  If the job does not pay what you are asking for then it is pointless to even apply.  I have asked multiple times when looking at jobs that were outside of my current job track.
In a way, it helps them if you ask. If the job isn't what you can afford, it saves them the time and effort to put you thru the process.

Pay is a temporary motivator. If you don't like the job you probably will look for another job regardless of the pay.

Is there a job class or job grade associated with the job that would give you an relative indication of the job level related to your current job. You mentioned it was a promotion.

Sure you are motivated by the potential pay increase, but it isn't a negative in my opinion to ask for a range. I think asking for a range is fair. Good Luck!

The perception that I'm only applying for the job because of the salary
You're not ONLY applying for the job for the salary, but you want to be fairly compensated for the time and effort you're going to have to put in.  Taking a promotion to decrease your per hour compensation is less than ideal.  If someone in HR of all places doesn't understand that, they have no business doing their job.

And part of your job in the interview is to articulate why you are interested in the job.  Leave no doubt in their minds that you're interested in it for reasons other than increased comp and it won't matter or even come up.

People are dumb.  I could easily see a scenario where he asks, it's minimal and he doesn't pursue it and then someone thinks negative of him for whatever reason 
This is not a good reason not to ask.  Let them be dumb.  Don't not ask out of fear of what dumb people may or may not perceive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread