What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Afterlife - Logically (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
So, I think the real question is, is there one?  In any capacity.

I think we have to prove that our spirit or conscious is not attached to our physical self.   I don't see any proof at this time to back that in anyway other than hope.

I think we can all excude all religious ones.  If you disagree please post why all other religions are wrong and yours is the one.  If you can do that, I will take the time and answer that question.

Do you think that on any scientific level, in another unknown dimension that there might be something else?
If by “something else,” you mean some sort of all-knowing creator or a playground for souls of deceased humans from Earth, then no.

But I’m sure there is plenty of “something else” that we don’t know about, whether in this dimension or another.  

If by “something else,” you mean some sort of all-knowing creator or a playground for souls of deceased humans from Earth, then no.

But I’m sure there is plenty of “something else” that we don’t know about, whether in this dimension or another.  
I agree.  Something else means science.

I was born and raised in religion.  I am just happy with my guilt anchors, I could/can think for myself.

To be honest, I was thinking about annihilation when I was under 10 years old.  Scared the crap out of me.  Still sort of does.

To be honest, I was thinking about annihilation when I was under 10 years old.  Scared the crap out of me.  Still sort of does.
Ditto. I remember waking my parents up in the middle of the night terrified because I suddenly started thinking about death. I don't remember what prompted it or what they said, I just remember doing it.

I've basically been bouncing between the walls of the Agnostic box since then, but I'm pretty sure when the lights go out that's it. It sucks but what am I gonna do about it? I mean besides have my head frozen?

It’s certainly a reasonable question to ask. The real problem is with the widely accepted historical interpretations we are presented with.

The common religious explanations of the afterlife can be easily manipulated for the betterment of a few , so the logical explanation is they are lies.

Ditto. I remember waking my parents up in the middle of the night terrified because I suddenly started thinking about death. I don't remember what prompted it or what they said, I just remember doing it.

I've basically been bouncing between the walls of the Agnostic box since then, but I'm pretty sure when the lights go out that's it. It sucks but what am I gonna do about it? I mean besides have my head frozen?
My thing was/is nothing.  I can't grasp, then when I die, just black, nothing mattered.

Last edited by a moderator:

If the lights just go out then there really isn’t anything to fear since you won’t know once you are dead.

In all studies I’ve seen the people with the least fear of death are the devoutly religious or the hardline atheistic.

Im an atheist. I’ve tried at tough times in my life to have some belief and hope but I just can’t rectify it with common sense and logic. I’m not afraid of death but I am afraid of dying before fulfilling my potential or dying a slow painful death.

On the other hand I do find it comforting to have the power to end my own life if neccesary. There are people close to me that worry about the future endlessly , from world apocalyptic collapse to just not ever having enough money to retire or even just having health insurance in case they get terribly ill.

I always tell them my health insurance and retirement plan is a pistol in my mouth. If life becomes to impossible to thrive in I will just end it. If I’m not going to retire rich enough to be comfortably I wouldn’t want to grow old. If I get so sick I need costly medical help just to have a chance of living I’d rather just die. I’m often unhappy but all I have is to enjoy the moment as best I can. There is nothing to fear if you are prepared to take your own life when the enemy is at the gates.

My thing was/is nothing.  I can't grasp, then when I die, just black, nothing mattered.
It’s actually quite liberating.  Now is your time to truly live your one life.  No need to live in constant fear of a judgmental creep that’s always watching you to determine your relative worth.  Does life really matter if there is a promise of a magical afterlife dancing amongst the clouds?  Or does the acknowledgment of the lack of an afterlife make life matter even more?

Hi Cav. Not atheist. Not really Christian either. Though I went to Catholic school for 8 years, have all 3 of my children baptized etc. I go to church maybe once every 3 months (my wife makes me, but then we go to the bar for full Irish breakfast and Smithwicks so I'm not sure who's fleecing who amirite?), not including major holidays. Not really meaning to give a resume but just giving a little background.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I'm good with that.

It’s actually quite liberating.  Now is your time to truly live your one life.  No need to live in constant fear of a judgmental creep that’s always watching you to determine your relative worth.  Does life really matter if there is a promise of a magical afterlife dancing amongst the clouds?  Or does the acknowledgment of the lack of an afterlife make life matter even more?
Well, yes and no.  We all got our paths here.  I got lucky as a human being, either I couldn't get brain washed or I could think for myself.  

Being what I said earlier in the thread, I was thinking about big stuff young.  

Now why could I think that way at 10 when others had no idea.....that is a question in itself.

Well, yes and no.  We all got our paths here.  I got lucky as a human being, either I couldn't get brain washed or I could think for myself.  

Being what I said earlier in the thread, I was thinking about big stuff young.  

Now why could I think that way at 10 when others had no idea.....that is a question in itself.
I could see those things at that age too. It just means you are intelligent which is both an incredible ability and burden depending on the environment you grew up in. 

Hi Cav. Not atheist. Not really Christian either. Though I went to Catholic school for 8 years, have all 3 of my children baptized etc. I go to church maybe once every 3 months (my wife makes me, but then we go to the bar for full Irish breakfast and Smithwicks so I'm not sure who's fleecing who amirite?), not including major holidays. Not really meaning to give a resume but just giving a little background.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I'm good with that.
That is great, it really is, if that's how you roll.  It is how almost everyone in my family rolls.  Irish too.  

I ask stupid stuff like this because, it ia me and probably looking for someone that can relate.   

Everyone in my family thinks like you, it is ingrained there.  Yet me, being the youngest, with no outer influences thinks different.  That alone makes you wonder.

I get judged by others than god.  People didn't give my their money for crypto, other than my track record here.  

Plus, in the end telling a bad person they are going to hell is dumb on so many levels.

Devils is the worst person, right?  So when they send bad people to him, lol.

Jesus, sent you here, I will torture you but I hate Jesus.  Logic, just kills religion.

I mean, you related to me.  We had like insights.  You want to pretend to be lost.  
Your reply doesn’t make sense to me.

I am not, nor have I ever felt lost, except within an ocean of stupidity. I am not lost because I have no destination. I may not know where I am but I am still on the path I’ve chosen.......if sometimes aimless.

Your reply doesn’t make sense to me.

I am not, nor have I ever felt lost, except within an ocean of stupidity. I am not lost because I have no destination. I may not know where I am but I am still on the path I’ve chosen.......if sometimes aimless.
Poof......you go away now.

OP you are clearly very drunk, sad and/or angry and insulted because you didn’t think anyone could understand what you were saying. I do because I myself am often drunk , sad and/or angry and take great offense to anyone that thinks they understand what I’m saying too. I don’t judge you in the least for it and I think if your recent posts are genuine then I’m actually happy for you that you can feel this level of societal rejection and disenfranchisement.

It is this kind of thinking that can change the world if you harness it before it consumes you. If it does consume you that’s not your fault . If you get the oppurtunity to utilize it I hope you do. 

OP you are clearly very drunk, sad and/or angry and insulted because you didn’t think anyone could understand what you were saying. I do because I myself am often drunk , sad and/or angry and take great offense to anyone that thinks they understand what I’m saying too. I don’t judge you in the least for it and I think if your recent posts are genuine then I’m actually happy for you that you can feel this level of societal rejection and disenfranchisement.

It is this kind of thinking that can change the world if you harness it before it consumes you. If it does consume you that’s not your fault . If you get the oppurtunity to utilize it I hope you do. 
Table 10

Logically, scientifically. Nope. Maybe someday we develop science that can see into an afterlife but we're not there yet.

You leave a legacy. It might not matter directly to you after death but it matters to those you love and survive. 

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

- Sidney Freedman

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

- Sidney Freedman
That would appear to be bad and potentially painful advice

Logically, scientifically. Nope. Maybe someday we develop science that can see into an afterlife but we're not there yet.

You leave a legacy. It might not matter directly to you after death but it matters to those you love and survive. 
What about for people that may not have loved ones and those that live on?

- Sidney Freedman
That would appear to be bad and potentially painful advice
Who are you to argue with a doctor?

Funny. When I was 10 I was completely terrified of eternity. Never ending. Even if it was in heaven. Just forever without end?  I remember crying to my mom about it. 

Well, the atoms that comprise our bodies will be recycled and continue to be part of the universe.  Immortality!!!
Strange thread to discover while sitting on the can this morning. 

I'm an agnostic theist. With that it of the way, Galileo's post is for me what has always been the scientific possibility for people who want or need to believe in an afterlife. 

In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant — it is said to be conserved over time. In other words, this law means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed from one form to another.

imo room to believe that the energy of your soul/spirit/mojo can persist in some form. When I die, I'll try to let you know if this is true.

Logically, upon death I expect those who led a good productive life will receive a moment of pure bliss in which they will be given a taco of unimaginable deliciousness. After consumption your consciousness will fade into nothingness.

Lol at the “I’m so smart it’s a burden.”  No you aren’t. Most kids start to wrestle with eternity/consciousness/death around that age. 

Strange thread to discover while sitting on the can this morning. 

I'm an agnostic theist. With that it of the way, Galileo's post is for me what has always been the scientific possibility for people who want or need to believe in an afterlife. 

In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant — it is said to be conserved over time. In other words, this law means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed from one form to another.

imo room to believe that the energy of your soul/spirit/mojo can persist in some form. When I die, I'll try to let you know if this is true.
Dibs on transferring to Roma’s locker room. 

@Kafka

So, I think the real question is, is there one?  In any capacity.

I think we have to prove that our spirit or conscious is not attached to our physical self.   I don't see any proof at this time to back that in anyway other than hope.

I think we can all excude all religious ones.  If you disagree please post why all other religions are wrong and yours is the one.  If you can do that, I will take the time and answer that question.
You can't logically "exclude" any explanation for the unknown.  

Users who are viewing this thread