What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Living on a Different Planet. (1 Viewer)

St. Obama was a big part of the problem  with his constant battles with Fox News.  He wanted nothing to do with fair and balanced coverage. He needed the fawning from left leaning news.  

I wish the masses could educate themselves or at least have paid attention in government classes so they could comprehend the basics.  

St. Obama was a big part of the problem  with his constant battles with Fox News.  He wanted nothing to do with fair and balanced coverage. He needed the fawning from left leaning news.  

I wish the masses could educate themselves or at least have paid attention in government classes so they could comprehend the basics.  
Do you think Fox News is right leaning or truly fair and balanced?

You have it backward...Obama didn’t have a battle with them, they had one with him. It was the stated Republican agenda to make him a one term president and they did everything within their power to make it so.  It’s pretty ironic that there’s a guy in WH who’s a walking disaster and yet they choose to ignore 3/4s of what he says and does. 

The other planet is where decency, respect, inclusion, and compassion exists.  Unfortunately that has completely left the country discourse and it’s not even attempted and quite frankly it’s embeaced, perpetuated and celebrated by the President and his base.  It’s just mean  

A planet where you support pedophiles, racism, criminals, discrediting judges, the FBI, the DOJ, the intelligence community all in the support of a career conman and awful person just because he’s a republican is not one I can support.   The real irony and the saddest part is that most in his party think he’s nuts, an idiot but will still do whatever he wants to support the party...some things are bigger than party. 

I seem a to recall a Super Bowl Sunday which featured a lengthy interview of Obama by Bill O Reilly. Do you suppose that Donald Trump will allow himself to be interviewed by Rachel Maddow? 

I seem a to recall a Super Bowl Sunday which featured a lengthy interview of Obama by Bill O Reilly. Do you suppose that Donald Trump will allow himself to be interviewed by Rachel Maddow? 
Not Maddow, but he might with Chris Matthews as he did sit down with Matthews before the election in front an audience (at a university?). I think that was the interview where he said "What is the point of having nuclear weapons if you don't use them?"

You have it backward...Obama didn’t have a battle with them, they had one with him. It was the stated Republican agenda to make him a one term president and they did everything within their power to make it so.  It’s pretty ironic that there’s a guy in WH who’s a walking disaster and yet they choose to ignore 3/4s of what he says and does. 

The other planet is where decency, respect, inclusion, and compassion exists.  Unfortunately that has completely left the country discourse and it’s not even attempted and quite frankly it’s embeaced, perpetuated and celebrated by the President and his base.  It’s just mean  

A planet where you support pedophiles, racism, criminals, discrediting judges, the FBI, the DOJ, the intelligence community all in the support of a career conman and awful person just because he’s a republican is not one I can support.   The real irony and the saddest part is that most in his party think he’s nuts, an idiot but will still do whatever he wants to support the party...some things are bigger than party. 
Why did Obama refuse to speak to Fox News for a couple of years?

Who forced through health care reform without even attempting anything resembling bipartisanship?

Who said elections have consequences?

Who let gender confused individuals into the wrong restrooms because we sure don’t want to offend THEM?

Who did nothing during the riots,  assaults and property destruction in St. Louis and Baltimore?

Who sat on his hands during the worst oil spill in Continental US history because well you know it only impacted red states?

Who has failed to be anything close to a voice of reason as paid protestors since the election have distorted, destroyed and created chaos for the current administration?

Who blamed a cartoonist for Benghazi?

Who politicized the IRS and FBI?

Decency, compassion and inclusion.   :lmao:

Who forced through health care reform without even attempting anything resembling bipartisanship?

Who let gender confused individuals into the wrong restrooms because we sure don’t want to offend THEM?

Who did nothing during the riots,  assaults and property destruction in St. Louis and Baltimore?

Who sat on his hands during the worst oil spill in Continental US history because well you know it only impacted red states?

Who has failed to be anything close to a voice of reason as paid protestors since the election have distorted, destroyed and created chaos for the current administration?

Different planet indeed...

Why did he do an interview with a publication you keep referring to as the Failing New York Times? Was is to help boost their circulation?
That’s the type of guy he is.  He’s willing to weigh into the belly of the beast armed with his genius intellect and a 9-iron. He will come out the other side victorious and  undaunted.  Heroic.  

This is the different planet :lol:  

You can just replace “St Obama” with “Orange Donald”.

This is the only play after a few months of actually paying attention to everything that comes out of our little handed President’s mouth.
Its deeper than Trump. And the "play" is older than a few months.

Conservatives and liberals have been arguing about issues for decades. They have opposing political, economic, and cultural philosophies, and so they argue these things. They argue about which side is the more extreme, and about which side has produced better results for our society.

The problem conservatives have is that, broadly speaking, liberals keep winning these arguments. We are a much more liberal society than we were 30 years ago, or 50 years ago, or 100 years ago. We keep moving in the liberal direction, with certain stops and regressions along the way. If you read a history book of the last 100 years, nearly every achievement and advancement is a liberal one.

Furthermore, on a variety of issues that are important to conservatives, the facts tend to favor the liberal position. Examples include climate change, wealth inequity in society, the effects of undocumented immigration and overall immigration, the treatment of blacks by police, etc. etc. All of these issues, and many, many others, have facts which if understood by any objective person would lead them to conclude that the liberal response is the correct response- or at least, the more correct response between the two positions.

So faced with this, what do conservatives do? The rational answer would be that they should change their positions on some of these various issues. And indeed, many do. The overwhelming public opinion about gay marriage, immigration, climate change, gun control, for example, all of which have moved to the liberal side, demonstrates that most people on all sides are convinced by the facts. But among conservatives, there are plenty who refuse to do this, because it would mean admitting they were wrong. So they attack the facts instead. And IMO, THIS is the main source of all of the attacks on the media- a refusal to let the liberals "win".

That’s the type of guy he is.  He’s willing to weigh into the belly of the beast armed with his genius intellect and a 9-iron. He will come out the other side victorious and  undaunted.  Heroic.  
Serious question: do you believe Trump really is. genius? 

(Presidents don't have to be geniuses.  Washington wasn't. George W. Bush certainly wasn't. Yet both were very presidential.)

If you get your news from only NPR or only Fox News, you’re “in a bubble”. 

You really need to diversify to get the whole picture and then you can look for the common ground instead of being a partisan ahole.  

Both parties get some of it right.  One party seems to get it right a little more than the other, but in the end, all of government just kinda sucks. 

If you get your news from only NPR or only Fox News, you’re “in a bubble”. 

You really need to diversify to get the whole picture and then you can look for the common ground instead of being a partisan ahole.  

Both parties get some of it right.  One party seems to get it right a little more than the other, but in the end, all of government just kinda sucks. 
This is the "reasonable viewpoint" which isn't.

It is a overly widespread delusion that partisan = ideology over facts or non-partisan = fact-based. Blind equivocation is the corresponding sin which people in the middle believe everyone else commits. "They're all the same" is the same unexamined, unjustified conclusion as, "My side is right" when either is bereft of analysis. 

Last edited:

What does any of that have to do with Obama attacking Fox News?  

No big surprise here but partisan politics by definition injects ideology with selfishness and spin. Intent, execution, and consistency are key determining factors when valuing the actions and words of individual politicians, political parties, or news outlets.

Last edited by a moderator:
also .. lumping NPR with Fox is lazy, laughable, and disingenuous.
But Obama's broader point was that the people that listen to each and each one only are on different planets. I don't think his point was that far off. People are getting totally different narratives, totally different framing of issues. 

See, people think Fox News is horrible. But it's vetted. So is NPR. The question becomes one of stories within a general narrative framework. I think that's what Obama is getting at.   

But Obama's broader point was that the people that listen to each and each one only are on different planets. I don't think his point was that far off. People are getting totally different narratives, totally different framing of issues. 

See, people think Fox News is horrible. But it's vetted. So is NPR. The question becomes one of stories within a general narrative framework. I think that's what Obama is getting at.   
It is a good point.  Part of what bothers me is about Fox News though is that their political entertainment shows are more like dystopian propaganda and less like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.  It's harder for people to distinguish between actually, good journalists (Shep, Baier, Wallace, etc. )  and the prime-time clowns (Hannity, Judge Jeane, Tucker). 

It is a good point.  Part of what bothers me is about Fox News though is that their political entertainment shows are more like dystopian propaganda and less like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.  It's harder for people to distinguish between actually, good journalists (Shep, Baier, Wallace, etc. )  and the prime-time clowns (Hannity, Judge Jeane, Tucker). 
Yeah, I've always hated Fox's op-ed shows. I thought their six o'clock broadcast with Hume was a good broadcast. The infotainment shows were much, much less so.  

Agreed on Obama's broader point but I cringe when news outlets that at least try to try to be non-partisan (BBC, PBS, NPR, WSJ to name a few) are thrown in the mud with the likes of FOX, MSNBC, CNN, and Breitbart). It seems to me that some do it purposefully and it bothers me.

It's more extreme than that. There's a fundamental disconnect on actual facts. You can just read a few posts in here to see that it goes beyond perspective and narrative. And people like Hannity are 100% not vetted and people don't distinguish between his ranting conspiracy theories and vetted news.

It's more extreme than that. There's a fundamental disconnect on actual facts. You can just read a few posts in here to see that it goes beyond perspective and narrative. And people like Hannity are 100% not vetted and people don't distinguish between his ranting conspiracy theories and vetted news.
I'm talking news, not op-ed programming.  

On Fox they are inextricably entwined. Do you really think Hillary adn Uranium One should be leading a "straight" news hour?
That's fine. I don't honestly know for sure what it's like anymore. I haven't watched Fox News in a long time, frankly. I read my serious news now. I'm not dying on this hill.  

On Fox they are inextricably entwined. Do you really think Hillary adn Uranium One should be leading a "straight" news hour?
There are people convinced Hillary and cop are going to jail any minute now...the DOJ FBI is corrupt and are going down along with Obama...and so on.  The OP being one of them given the other thread that was started.

Yes.  The opinionators have the both of best worlds....they KNOW that a good portion of their watchers take their opinions as a legitimate news persepctive......but love to hide behind the "I'm only expressing an opinion" when they're called out on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread