What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD*** Eagles going to the Bowl!!!! (1 Viewer)

Not sure there's too much to this game in the X's and O's besides your stereotypical "win in the trenches", "don't turn the ball over" cliches.

What are the individual matchups to pay attention to that could decide the game? 
griffen vs vaitai.  hoping they give V some help

i feel like the entire eagles pass rush can beat mns line consistently.  but our corners will have problems with their wrs.  will be interesting

ertz vs their lbs

Not sure there's too much to this game in the X's and O's besides your stereotypical "win in the trenches", "don't turn the ball over" cliches.

What are the individual matchups to pay attention to that could decide the game? 
You named them pretty much.  Vikings D-Line versus Eagles O-Line.  Can the Eagles OL open running lanes for Ajayi/Blount/Clement.  Vikes will keep press coverage on receivers with only a single high safety most of the time.  Foles rarely, if ever, throws pass twenty yards.  He can't throw deep unless he has some win at his back.  He'll almost always get picked if he tries heaving it as far as he can.

On the Vikes side of the ball, same thing.  Can the O-Line run the ball on a very good front 4 for the Eagles.  Fletcher Cox needs to have the same type of game he did against Atlanta to keep scoring to a minimum.  This is the Eagles biggest strength versus the Vikes biggest weakness IMHO.

Basically it's all about who makes less mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
griffen vs vaitai.  hoping they give V some help

i feel like the entire eagles pass rush can beat mns line consistently.  but our corners will have problems with their wrs.  will be interesting

ertz vs their lbs
He'll most definitely need help.  Griffin would probably eat his lunch if Big V didn't have any help.  Big V has improved but he is no Jason Peters.

Rhodes is a stud and Waynes is greatly improved but our 3rd CB is a weakness (Newman and Alexander). So would that be Hollins?  Smith. Agholar?

Rhodes is a stud and Waynes is greatly improved but our 3rd CB is a weakness (Newman and Alexander). So would that be Hollins?  Smith. Agholar?
Agholar most likely.  Don't forget about Trey Burton and celek.  Could see some interesting use of tes this week.  

Agholar most likely.  Don't forget about Trey Burton and celek.  Could see some interesting use of tes this week.  
Yeah but our LBs are great against TEs and the screen game. 

The field will make a big impact too. That turf is ####### terrible. 

I’ve never been more nervous about a game the week before in my life. 
I kind of have a "house money" feeling in regards to this game. If the Eagles lose...I'll be upset....but it won't be a crushing "I don't think we'll never get back there" moment.  

I kind of have a "house money" feeling in regards to this game. If the Eagles lose...I'll be upset....but it won't be a crushing "I don't think we'll never get back there" moment.  
Sucks to lose either way but how do you side on this old argument?  Would you rather lose in a lopsided blowout or a close hard fought loss?

Sucks to lose either way but how do you side on this old argument?  Would you rather lose in a lopsided blowout or a close hard fought loss?
Hard fought loss stings worse initially but fades as the realization that there was just someone better than you out there enters your mind. I don't have a problem with someone being better....if I know that I did everything I could to win.

Blowout is the opposite.  Getting your doors blown off throughout the whole game pads the hard landing of losing when the game ends.....but then when you start thinking more and more about it....you start questioning whether or not you were actually good enough to have a chance in the game. 

Ill take close, hard fought loss. 

mr roboto said:
Yeah but our LBs are great against TEs and the screen game. 

The field will make a big impact too. That turf is ####### terrible. 
They did re-sod the field this week but I think there is a bunch of rain coming.  Who knows what condition it'll be in by Sunday night.

Thunderlips said:
Hard fought loss stings worse initially but fades as the realization that there was just someone better than you out there enters your mind. I don't have a problem with someone being better....if I know that I did everything I could to win.

Blowout is the opposite.  Getting your doors blown off throughout the whole game pads the hard landing of losing when the game ends.....but then when you start thinking more and more about it....you start questioning whether or not you were actually good enough to have a chance in the game. 

Ill take close, hard fought loss. 
I prefer a decisive loss.  Not a blowout, cuz that's just depressing.  But somethinig like a 10-14 point loss where it's never really in doubt.  Those close losses in the playoffs are inevitably dissected to the point where a different play here or there is the difference.  As a Viking fan, '98 was absolutely brutal because we were convinced that team was going to the SB.  They were an unstoppable machine.  Until they played a mediocre game where the coaching staff got completely outclassed in game management and a perfect kicker missed his first kick of the year.  '09 was nearly as bad (although the team was not as good), because they completely dominated the Saints, but just kept turning the ball over again and again.  They absolutely handed that game to a dirty playing, cheating, classless coaching staff.  No thanks on those types of losses.

As a fan, it wasn't that hard getting over the 41-0 destruction to the Giants in 2000.  Of course, that team was really nothing special, the NFC was crap that year.

mr roboto said:
I’ve never been more nervous about a game the week before in my life. 
Really, GB?  I'm surprised.  I was a much bigger wreck in 2009.  This Eagles team isn't as good as that Saints team, IMO, and the Vikes are better than that 09 squad.  Although having a HOF QB behind center in this game would make me feel a lot better.

I prefer a decisive loss.  Not a blowout, cuz that's just depressing.  But somethinig like a 10-14 point loss where it's never really in doubt.  Those close losses in the playoffs are inevitably dissected to the point where a different play here or there is the difference.  As a Viking fan, '98 was absolutely brutal because we were convinced that team was going to the SB.  They were an unstoppable machine.  Until they played a mediocre game where the coaching staff got completely outclassed in game management and a perfect kicker missed his first kick of the year.  '09 was nearly as bad (although the team was not as good), because they completely dominated the Saints, but just kept turning the ball over again and again.  They absolutely handed that game to a dirty playing, cheating, classless coaching staff.  No thanks on those types of losses.

As a fan, it wasn't that hard getting over the 41-0 destruction to the Giants in 2000.  Of course, that team was really nothing special, the NFC was crap that year.
:goodposting:   I barely remember the 2000 loss.. By Halftime we knew it was over..

The 1998 could have been devastating had my daughter not been born a couple of months before that game.

Had the game taken place a year before Devastating would have been a understatement.. But thanks to my new born daughter putting life in perspective I remember thinking, "Well that sucked" but it didn't effect me the next day as it normally would have.

The Saints loss was a little harder.. I live in Wisconsin...  my Wife and her entire family are Packer fans and even they were cheering for the Vikings thanks to Favre.
My Father in-law to this day still hates anything Saints related thanks to what happened to Favre in that game and the "Bounty Gate" that came out later.

:goodposting:   I barely remember the 2000 loss.. By Halftime we knew it was over..

The 1998 could have been devastating had my daughter not been born a couple of months before that game.

Had the game taken place a year before Devastating would have been a understatement.. But thanks to my new born daughter putting life in perspective I remember thinking, "Well that sucked" but it didn't effect me the next day as it normally would have.

The Saints loss was a little harder.. I live in Wisconsin...  my Wife and her entire family are Packer fans and even they were cheering for the Vikings thanks to Favre.
My Father in-law to this day still hates anything Saints related thanks to what happened to Favre in that game and the "Bounty Gate" that came out later.
Yeah, life circumstances do seem to make a difference on how tough the loss is to take.  98 was a season long party.  Me and all my Viking fan friends were young, unmarried and full of debauchery.  We had at least 3 different keggers for games that year, our house was party central for every game.  The Monday Nighter against the Packers was an unforgettable event.  60 drunkards tearing our house apart.  Cops were called.  It was a riot.  Nothing will ever match the devastation after that loss to the Falcons for me.

I prefer a decisive loss.  Not a blowout, cuz that's just depressing.  But something like a 10-14 point loss where it's never really in doubt.  Those close losses in the playoffs are inevitably dissected to the point where a different play here or there is the difference.  As a Viking fan, '98 was absolutely brutal because we were convinced that team was going to the SB.  They were an unstoppable machine.  Until they played a mediocre game where the coaching staff got completely outclassed in game management and a perfect kicker missed his first kick of the year.  '09 was nearly as bad (although the team was not as good), because they completely dominated the Saints, but just kept turning the ball over again and again.  They absolutely handed that game to a dirty playing, cheating, classless coaching staff.  No thanks on those types of losses.

As an Eagles fan, I would definitely prefer to lose a close one. Mostly because we are playing without Wentz. If we lose a close game to a team as good as Minnesota with Nick Foles at quarterback, that bodes very well for us next year and beyond, when we get the league MVP back.  But if we get our doors blown in, we (as well as the players) have to question whether they're quite at 'that' level yet. Yes, a close loss will still sting, but I don't know how many Eagles fans thought we'd still be a few points away from playing in the Super Bowl when they first heard word that Wentz tore his ACL.

Haha.  I absolutely love the reputation Philly fans have. It gives us such a huge advantage. Don't you dare make a peep when the Foles is trying to audible. An Eagles fan might tear your windpipe out.  Grrrrr
Exactly.  If they're going to perpetuate the "angry fan" narrative, embrace it and use it to our advantage.  Who wants bus-loads of Vikings fans in the Linc anyway?

Worst loss in franchise history.
Ya got that right. Never felt anything like it. The collective heartbreak of 66 thousand fans. I'll never forget it. I didn't watch the AFC conference championship game that was on after. I laid on a couch staring at the ceiling for hours after I got off the sub. And that super bowl that year is the only one I've never watched, 

They had a dude on the radio from one of those game simulator companies, Predictor Machine-this one predicted our win last week.  No ####, the guy said something happened that he's never seen.  After playing the game 50,000 times, the average score for the Vikings was 17.8, the average score for the Eagles was 17.8.  The Vikings won 50.4% of the games, with the Eagles outscoring the Vikings in the games they won by a greater margin.

:mellow:

They had a dude on the radio from one of those game simulator companies, Predictor Machine-this one predicted our win last week.  No ####, the guy said something happened that he's never seen.  After playing the game 50,000 times, the average score for the Vikings was 17.8, the average score for the Eagles was 17.8.  The Vikings won 50.4% of the games, with the Eagles outscoring the Vikings in the games they won by a greater margin.

:mellow:
Well, we knew they were evenly matched.

I just don't see any way the Eagles win this unless they get scoring and/or multiple turnovers from the defense.  IMO, they simply dont have the offensive weapons needed.  I'm in the minority as I don't see this one being a nail biter. 

MN 23

Phil 13

I just don't see any way the Eagles win this unless they get scoring and/or multiple turnovers from the defense.  IMO, they simply dont have the offensive weapons needed.  I'm in the minority as I don't see this one being a nail biter. 

MN 23

Phil 13
31-24. Remember that score? That's what the Panthers did to the Vikings. Whose the Panthers best weapon? Newton. 137 yards passing 1 TD and 1 int. He did have 70 rushing. Jimmy Stewart had 103 and 3 TDs, I'd hardly call Stewart a superior offensive weapon than Ajayi or even Blount for that matter. 

Maybe be it won't be a nail biter. Only the other way  ;)

31-24. Remember that score? That's what the Panthers did to the Vikings. Whose the Panthers best weapon? Newton. 137 yards passing 1 TD and 1 int. He did have 70 rushing. Jimmy Stewart had 103 and 3 TDs, I'd hardly call Stewart a superior offensive weapon than Ajayi or even Blount for that matter. 

Maybe be it won't be a nail biter. Only the other way  ;)
That’s fine if you want to cherry pick a stat to make a point. I realize they all count, but he had a sixty yard run. Credit to him, but the Vikings were bad on that play. 

Tale of the Tape:

Foles: 22-17, 60.1 Comp %, 9,756 yds, 61 TD's, 29 Int's, 87.4 QB rating

Keenum 20-18, 61.9 Comp %, 8,771 yds, 46 TD's, 27 Int's, 86.0 QB rating

That’s fine if you want to cherry pick a stat to make a point. I realize they all count, but he had a sixty yard run. Credit to him, but the Vikings were bad on that play. 
Not cherry picking a stat. I watched that game with great interest like all Eagles fans did as our teams were vying for th #1 seed. You've posted that you believe this won't be much of a contest barring amazing defensive plays. I'm mearly pointing out that on the road, Carolina knocked your teeth out and put up over 30 on this supposedly unbeatable defense with a team that has no more star power than the Birds. So I believe my team has a solid 50/50 shot. 

Not cherry picking a stat. I watched that game with great interest like all Eagles fans did as our teams were vying for th #1 seed. You've posted that you believe this won't be much of a contest barring amazing defensive plays. I'm mearly pointing out that on the road, Carolina knocked your teeth out and put up over 30 on this supposedly unbeatable defense with a team that has no more star power than the Birds. So I believe my team has a solid 50/50 shot. 
Two uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns (Stewart long TD & Cam run) coupled with a few bad turnovers (right of Diggs helmet) and the Vikes were still in that game.  It was not a beat down and the Eagles don't have a guy like Newton.   It took a couple fluke plays (which could happen again but unlikely) to get that outcome.  I don't think that is a very good representation to consistently beat the Vikes.  The Vikes beat themselves in that game.

Two uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns (Stewart long TD & Cam run) coupled with a few bad turnovers (right of Diggs helmet) and the Vikes were still in that game.  It was not a beat down and the Eagles don't have a guy like Newton.   It took a couple fluke plays (which could happen again but unlikely) to get that outcome.  I don't think that is a very good representation to consistently beat the Vikes.  The Vikes beat themselves in that game.
Ok man. They gave up 31. Just saying. And isn't every TD the result of a defensive breakdown? 

Foles may not be Newton, but the offense is studded with pro bowlers on the line, probowl TE and a better stable of WRs and RBs then the Panthers. 

And we we are at home.

AND I don't think your offense has faced a defense as good as ours. Again, I see it 50/50 and it makes me salty that people think not only will your team win but it won't be even close. 

Ok man. They gave up 31. Just saying. And isn't every TD the result of a defensive breakdown? 

Foles may not be Newton, but the offense is studded with pro bowlers on the line, probowl TE and a better stable of WRs and RBs then the Panthers. 

And we we are at home.

AND I don't think your offense has faced a defense as good as ours. Again, I see it 50/50 and it makes me salty that people think not only will your team win but it won't be even close. 
Not every TD is a defensive breakdown.  Sometimes it is a well designed and superior blocked play.  Those two I referenced were defensive breakdowns with people out of position and completely whiffing on a tackle they should make. 

I am not making these references in this game to say that the Eagles are bad or have no shot.  My point was that referencing the game against the Panthers as a blueprint or example of how to beat the Vikings is a poor example.  The Vikings beat themselves.  It can happen again or the Eagles may be able to make the plays to win.  It's going to be a tough game for sure.  It's just using the Panther game as an example is more to show that a team that makes a lot of mistakes will lose.  That hasn't been the Vikings script this year for the most part.

Not every TD is a defensive breakdown.  Sometimes it is a well designed and superior blocked play.  Those two I referenced were defensive breakdowns with people out of position and completely whiffing on a tackle they should make. 

I am not making these references in this game to say that the Eagles are bad or have no shot.  My point was that referencing the game against the Panthers as a blueprint or example of how to beat the Vikings is a poor example.  The Vikings beat themselves.  It can happen again or the Eagles may be able to make the plays to win.  It's going to be a tough game for sure.  It's just using the Panther game as an example is more to show that a team that makes a lot of mistakes will lose.  That hasn't been the Vikings script this year for the most part.
I think what the panther game showed is you don't have to have a top offense to score on this MN def.  They are great but they are not unbeatable

I think what the panther game showed is you don't have to have a top offense to score on this MN def.  They are great but they are not unbeatable
Somewhat.  If the Vikings are playing their game and the offense doesn't put the defense in a hole anybody has a tough time scoring.  If not, then sure, anybody can put up points.  I think that goes for any defense.

That Panthers game was a bit fluky.  Third consecutive road game against a winning team (Vikes won the first 2, it's been 50 years since a team won 3 consecutive road games against winning teams), Vikings OL was missing 2 starters IIRC, on the long Newton run Kalil was holding Barr for 5 yards down the field as Cam whizzed past, penalty wasn't called.  At least one weird turnover as mentioned above.  The Vikes were still in the game until the end.  Bad comparison to this game.

Somewhat.  If the Vikings are playing their game and the offense doesn't put the defense in a hole anybody has a tough time scoring.  If not, then sure, anybody can put up points.  I think that goes for any defense.
you guys would seem to know better then Eagles fan, but what is your (or other Minny fans) opinions about the significant difference between home and road with your team, especially the defense.  is it a real thing? they play Det in a dome, but i wonder if the numbers are more significant outside. the difference in defense numbers was surprising

That Panthers game was a bit fluky.  Third consecutive road game against a winning team (Vikes won the first 2, it's been 50 years since a team won 3 consecutive road games against winning teams), Vikings OL was missing 2 starters IIRC, on the long Newton run Kalil was holding Barr for 5 yards down the field as Cam whizzed past, penalty wasn't called.  At least one weird turnover as mentioned above.  The Vikes were still in the game until the end.  Bad comparison to this game.
yeah i figure there is all kinds of variables like injured players, etc. on the road 3 weeks in a row is a ton.  but is there anything to how the defense holds up in a dome vs. outside? numbers suggest there is, but i'm curious Vikings' fans take

yeah i figure there is all kinds of variables like injured players, etc. on the road 3 weeks in a row is a ton.  but is there anything to how the defense holds up in a dome vs. outside? numbers suggest there is, but i'm curious Vikings' fans take
First thing that comes to mind is the insane amount of noise in their home stadium.  Makes things awfully tough on the opposing offenses.

I for one hope the Vikings beat themselves on Sunday as well. Because semantics mean nothing to me. If we win 2-0 and Nick Foles' throws 9 ints, I don't care. We're going to the Super bowl.

So in the first 9 games, Keenum took 5 sacks.  In his past 7 games, he's taken 19 sacks.  What's going on here Vikings fans?  Is this a concern with the Eagles strength being their defensive front?
Injuries to the o-line at different points.  Elflein missed 2 games, Remmers and Reif both missed games, Easton was lost for the year.  The Easton loss was a big loss.  A lot of shuffling has been done along the line trying to find the right combination.  While not near as bad as last year, the play of the line as a whole has taken a hit and the screen game has suffered because of it.  The play of the line against the Eagles d-line is my biggest worry heading into this game.

Injuries to the o-line at different points.  Elflein missed 2 games, Remmers and Reif both missed games, Easton was lost for the year.  The Easton loss was a big loss.  A lot of shuffling has been done along the line trying to find the right combination.  While not near as bad as last year, the play of the line as a whole has taken a hit and the screen game has suffered because of it.  The play of the line against the Eagles d-line is my biggest worry heading into this game.
Yup I figured it was probably due to injuries.  The difference between the first 9 games and last 7 games was striking to me.  That will certainly be the area where the Eagles have to dominate.  If not, it's lights out for the Eagles.  

So in the first 9 games, Keenum took 5 sacks.  In his past 7 games, he's taken 19 sacks.  What's going on here Vikings fans?  Is this a concern with the Eagles strength being their defensive front?
Absolutely.

Last time the Vikings played the Eagles nothing on offense was going to work because there was so much pressure on the QB.

The Vikings offensive line improved a ton from last year and really from the last two seasons where the Vikings offensive line has been terrible. Worst rushing team in the league in 2016.

The improvements to the Vikings offensive line are more in their run blocking than their pass blocking, although the Vikings did give up significantly fewer sacks this season than the previous two seasons. 27 sacks against the Vikings in 2017. 5 of those on Bradford in two games. In 2016 Bradford was sacked 37 times, so 10 fewer sacks this season. Vikings QBs were sacked 45 times in 2015. The change in offensive system helped. The quicker passing game helps, but overall the Vikings offensive line did a much better job with protection in 2017 than it has in quite some time. 

I seem to recall a similar progression with Sparono before.

Keenum deserves some credit for eluding sacks as well, but having balance from being able to run the ball does slow down the pass rush, when they have to focus on stopping the run. 

Offensive linemen have been hurt during the season which is why the Vikings have had so many different line ups. Reiff only missed one game against the Bengals and Rashod Hill played left tackle with him out. Mike Remmers missed over a month and Hill played right tackle for him, where he is starting now. Nick Easton lost for the season. He missed games earlier in the year, was able to come back for a few games then injured again. Sirles has played left guard when he was out and even played some right tackle this year when Remmers was banged up. Nick Easton missed two games and Easton played one game at center for him when he was healthy. Joe Berger is the only starter who hasn't missed any time.

Would rather be blown out for sure.  No question. 

If we get crushed, I'll wake up the next morning knowing that the better team won and that we weren't going to win that game anyways.

If we lose on the final play of the game, I'm going to be pretty upset for a while.

EDT:  Upon further thought, I agree with a couple of the other points.  A 10-14 point decisive loss would probably be better than a crazy blowout which would just suck and give us questions about our team going forward.  Since this team should be similar next year except for our QB, a 10-14 point loss with Foles having a bad game would probably be the easiest to swallow.  Would mean we weren't good enough this year to make it, but were still pretty close and with Carson we would have been right there.  My heart really won't be able to take a last second loss or losing a game that we SHOULD have won.  Hopefully we don't lose and this debate is irrelevant anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread