What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Craziest Ending I’ve Ever Seen. (1 Viewer)

Ack88

Footballguy
Wasn’t of viewing age for the Immaculate Reception. The Diggs TD catch is the craziest ending I’ve seen in my 37 years of watching NFL football. Just insane.

"Craziest" for me is probably when the Saints needed a win to stay alive for the playoffs, and needed a miracle TD at the end to force overtime.  Scored the long last-second TD on some nonsense with five laterals, etc.  And then John Carney missed the XP.   :lmao:
I remember that. I think Brooks was qb

No but it was pointless. Biggest playoff moment, perhaps ever and you throw a flag for a celebration penalty.
There are a couple "what ifs" at play though. If Diggs had scored with time remaining, that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty would have been assessed to the kickoff. And with the insanity of the last three minutes last night, would you really bet against a return for TD?

Wasn’t of viewing age for the Immaculate Reception. The Diggs TD catch is the craziest ending I’ve seen in my 37 years of watching NFL football. Just insane.
It was very dramatic ... but the game was over even if Diggs caught it and stepped out of bounds.

There were still a few ticks on the clock and MIN was well within FG range where he caught the ball.

I give Diggs credit but more credit should go to the NOS defender (Latimore?) who not only whiffed on the tackle ... but also took out his teamate who was in position to make the tackle as well. Latimore was the human perfect storm and gifted the TD to Diggs. 

A crazy ending that comes to mind is back in 2001 when the Bears were down 14 points with 32 seconds left in the 4th quarter against the Browns, and the Bears scored two touchdowns within those seconds, and that put the game into OT, and then they made a pick 6 and won. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When you consider all factors (the stakes, great plays, unexpected surprises, swings in win probability) I think it's hard to top the end of Super Bowl XLIX. You had the greatest QB in NFL history coming back from a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit against the NFL's top defense, the amazing Kearse catch, the underrated Hightower tackle of Lynch at the 1, the cat-and-mouse game between Belichick and Carroll before 2nd down (I still think BB didn't call time because he knew he was in Carroll's head and didn't want to give him time to think it over), and then, of course, the Butler INT, all of which resulted in the Pats being back on top after a decade and Brady tying Montana and Bradshaw for most SB wins by a QB. I suppose in a vacuum a one-yard INT is less exciting than a 61-yard bomb, but in terms of the surprise factor it was something I had literally never seen before.

Probably not the craziest ending ever, but for an honorable mention, I'd like to nominate the Giants-49ers playoff game from January of 2003.  Giants had a 38-14 lead in the 2nd half...49ers come back and make it 39-38.  Giants have a chance to win the game with a 41 yard field goal, but instead there was a botched snap, a missed defensive pass interference call, and an incorrect ineligible man downfield call against the Giants. Pass interference should have set the Giants up with a FG at extra point length, with no time left.  Pretty crazy ending.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/0ap2000000113878/Top-Ten-Controversial-Calls-Giants-vs-49ers

Although my vote for craziest ending has to be that Saints-Jags game with the missed XP.

"Craziest" for me is probably when the Saints needed a win to stay alive for the playoffs, and needed a miracle TD at the end to force overtime.  Scored the long last-second TD on some nonsense with five laterals, etc.  And then John Carney missed the XP.   :lmao:
Yup. That was crushing. I remember that and most of these. 

I still think the Tennessee Titans lateral miracle was the craziest of all time.  

When you consider all factors (the stakes, great plays, unexpected surprises, swings in win probability) I think it's hard to top the end of Super Bowl XLIX. You had the greatest QB in NFL history coming back from a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit against the NFL's top defense, the amazing Kearse catch, the underrated Hightower tackle of Lynch at the 1, the cat-and-mouse game between Belichick and Carroll before 2nd down (I still think BB didn't call time because he knew he was in Carroll's head and didn't want to give him time to think it over), and then, of course, the Butler INT, all of which resulted in the Pats being back on top after a decade and Brady tying Montana and Bradshaw for most SB wins by a QB. I suppose in a vacuum a one-yard INT is less exciting than a 61-yard bomb, but in terms of the surprise factor it was something I had literally never seen before.
Yeah, that all sucked.

I give Diggs credit but more credit should go to the NOS defender (Latimore?) who not only whiffed on the tackle ... but also took out his teamate who was in position to make the tackle as well. Latimore was the human perfect storm and gifted the TD to Diggs. 
For sure Diggs had to catch it and keep in bounds, but I agree with you in that it was a lot more to do with that horrible missed tackle.  Not even sure you could call what that dude tried to do a tackle.  

I still think the guy is trying to keep him in bounds with his tackle. I'm looking at the time, and it's about four seconds when he catches it. If you let him go out of bounds, you've got two seconds left on the clock for Forbath. Talk about the missed tackle has been weird; it was the coverage, IMHO.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread