What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Math Question (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
You have a cylinder with a radius of 8cm.  In the cylinder is a ball.  104cm^3 of water is required to just cover the ball.  What's the radius of the ball?

Vc = 64.h.pi

Vc = 104 + 4/3.pi.h^3/8

Right start?

Height = 2r of ball

total volume = 16pi * height (2r)

total water + volume of sphere = 16pi * 2r

i can't recall formula for volume of sphere - so my equation above is not right, but I think this is the right approach. 

Height = 2r of ball  I agree

total volume = 16pi * height (2r)  I disagree--volume of a cylinder is pi.r^2.h which in this case is 64.pi.h

total water + volume of sphere = 16pi * 2r

i can't recall formula for volume of sphere - so my equation above is not right, but I think this is the right approach. 
Volume of sphere = 4/3.pi.r^3

Yeah, volume of circle times height not circumference times height. Fix the formulas, and set total volume equal to sphere plus water. Only unknown on each side is r - radius of ball.  Should be able to solve for r.

If 104 cm^3 of water covers the ball, then the volume of water + volume of ball equals the volume of a cylinder with a height equal to 2xradius of the ball.   This leads to the following...

104 + 4/3 pi r^3 = pi R^2 h

r - radius of ball

R - radius of cylinder

h - height of cylinder = 2r

So... 104 + 4/3 pi r^3 = pi (64)(2r)

104 + 4.19 r^3 = 402.12 r

4.19r^3 - 402.12r + 104 = 0

There's 3 solutions to this equation.  One of them is negative (-9.9 cm)...toss it out.  There are 2 positive solutions r = 0.26 cm or 9.7 cm.  The 9.7 cm solution would mean the ball is larger than the cylinder can accommodate.  Thus the ball must be 0.26 cm in radius.

ETA...obviously, I introduced some slight rounding differences into my work.  I used pi = 3.14159 in my calculation, but then rounded those results as coefficients in my equation.  So, if you work backwards using the 0.26 cm result, it doesn't land exactly on 104 cm^3...but close enough for government work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough information to tell.

We also need to know if the ball is more or less dense than the water.

More edits:

No actually, that isn't right either.  We also need to know if the ball is waterproof.

If it is waterproof and heavier than water, we can find the answer.  If it is not waterproof we can find the answer with an error of the thickness of the ball.  If it's less dense than water and watertight, then it cannot be determined with the information provided, though we could stick a bound on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought for sure the math question would somehow involve a humble brag or five about massive wealth. I was wrong.  I also have nothing to contribute to the question presented- but am impressed with the level of math knowledge in here. 

More edits:

No actually, that isn't right either.  We also need to know if the ball is waterproof.

If it is waterproof and heavier than water, we can find the answer.  If it is not waterproof we can find the answer with an error of the thickness of the ball.  If it's less dense than water and watertight, then it cannot be determined with the information provided, though we could stick a bound on it.
You sound like students I used to have who would find any little way to avoid answering what the obvious intent of the question was :)

More edits:

Assume ball is waterproof

Assume ball = same density as water 

More edits:

Assume ball is waterproof

Assume ball = same density as water 

Are you not satisfied with my solution?
You did not properly account for the surface tension of water which would require the water level to be slightly higher than the ball before it would just cover the ball.  Normally negligible, but relative to an object around a half inch high, it will be significant.  

Why are we assuming the radius of the ball is the same as the cylinder?
Nobody is. They are saying the height of the cylinder (at least the height filled with water) is the same as the diameter of the ball because the height of the water in the cylinder just covers the ball. 

Nobody is. They are saying the height of the cylinder (at least the height filled with water) is the same as the diameter of the ball because the height of the water in the cylinder just covers the ball. 
"Just" covers. Missed that.

:thumbup:

If 104 cm^3 of water covers the ball, then the volume of water + volume of ball equals the volume of a cylinder with a height equal to 2xradius of the ball.   This leads to the following...

r - radius of ball

R - radius of cylinder

There's 3 solutions to this equation.  One of them is negative (-9.9 cm)...toss it out.  There are 2 positive solutions r = 0.26 cm or 9.7 cm.  The 9.7 cm solution would mean the ball is larger than the cylinder can accommodate.  Thus the ball must be 0.26 cm in radius.

ETA...obviously, I introduced some slight rounding differences into my work.  I used pi = 3.14159 in my calculation, but then rounded those results as coefficients in my equation.  So, if you work backwards using the 0.26 cm result, it doesn't land exactly on 104 cm^3...but close enough for government work.
Thx

What's the best way to get the solutions to the equation?  i.e. y = 0  r = -9.9, 0.26 and 9.7

I messed around with a couple of function calculators--is that the way to gp?

Thx

What's the best way to get the solutions to the equation?  i.e. y = 0  r = -9.9, 0.26 and 9.7

I messed around with a couple of function calculators--is that the way to gp?
That's what I did...skipped the grunt work.  This is the one I used.  The nice part about it as it shows you the worked out solution and not just the answers.

I got the same answer as Galileo, but I don't see the need to solve for the third root. If the volume of the cylinder = 104 = pi*r^2*h, and h = 2* radius (ball), then you have 104 = pi*64*2r(ball) and you can directly solve for r.

You have a cylinder with a radius of 8cm.  In the cylinder is a ball.  104cm^3 of water is required to just cover the ball.  What's the radius of the ball?

Vc = 64.h.pi

Vc = 104 + 4/3.pi.h^3/8

Right start?
Volume of cylinder = volume of ball + 104 cm^3.

Volume of cylinder is rcylinder^2*pi*rball

Volume of ball = 4/3*pi*rball^3

8cm*8cm*pi*r=64cm^2*pi*rball

Some basic algebra and you get 4/3*pi*rball^3-64*pi*rball+104=0

Put that into your ti89 and solve.

r - radius of ball

R - radius of cylinder

Yeap

I got the same answer as Galileo, but I don't see the need to solve for the third root. If the volume of the cylinder = 104 = pi*r^2*h, and h = 2* radius (ball), then you have 104 = pi*64*2r(ball) and you can directly solve for r.
Good call...I always like to make things more difficult!  :P

Actually,  I don't think you're accounting for the volume of the ball and because the volume of the ball (~0.074cm^3) is relatively small compared to the water (104cm^3), you get about the same answer.  

Actually,  I don't think you're accounting for the volume of the ball and because the volume of the ball (~0.074cm^3) is relatively small compared to the water (104cm^3), you get about the same answer.  
You are right, I was thinking of the 104 as the combined volume of the sphere and water..

I was being ironical. I teach math for a living. "Nobody likes math" was an alias account that someone (Tanner?) created many years ago when he was poking me with a stick through my cage. I was once upon a time a mod around these parts. 

I had a free moment or ten this morning and solved it as well. My solution is similar to Galileo's. Using a graphing calculator I got one possible solution at about 0.25880736 by numerically solving the following cubic:  (4/3)r^3-128(Pi)r+104=0

Users who are viewing this thread