What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Correct responses to being called a racist... (1 Viewer)

Dennis Miller once said something to this effect:

I'll never understand hating someone because of the color of their skin. Just get to know them and you'll find a better reason to hate them.
to go one further ... Arthur Fonzarelli in the "Sticks Downey" episode: "hey, i'd rather hang with a cool black guy than a nerd white guy" - and, according to Happy Days timeline, that humongous slab of racial healing was done some 5 years prior to the March on Washington ...

"AAAAAAYYYYYYY" ?

"I don't hate the _______....some of my best friends are ________."

to go one further ... Arthur Fonzarelli in the "Sticks Downey" episode: "hey, i'd rather hang with a cool black guy than a nerd white guy" - and, according to Happy Days timeline, that humongous slab of racial healing was done some 5 years prior to the March on Washington ...

"AAAAAAYYYYYYY" ?
Both of these are very instructive, indeed. I particularly like the way Dr. Octopus uses the definite article of "the," while otb_lifer slides (elides, even) into pop culture for a solution and edification. In all seriousness, if we could all just be a little more Fonzarelli, there'd be more free music and racial healing and motorcycles for all. Take that to the bank brohans.  

Solid work, gentlemen.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of these are very instructive, indeed. I particularly like the way Dr. Octopus uses the definite article of "the," while otb_lifer slides (elides, even) into pop culture for a solution and edification. In all seriousness, if we could all just be a little more Fonzarelli, there'd be more free music and racial healing and motorcycles for all. Take that to the bank brohans.  

Solid work, gentlemen.  
i always wished the would've fleshed the Demons out more ... Bag struck me as a right scumbag, as did Ed Begley Jr. - and let's not forget the usher dude (Frankie?) who hassled Richie up in the theater balcony - Fonzie called them "a buncha bananas" loooooooong before Orange County millionaire mom Gwen Stefani used the term in trying to reinvent herself as a "girl from around the way"

"jumped the shark" my ### - it resonates more in current culture than any series in history. 

Seems like a trick question.

If the accuser has no idea what they are talking about, why engage them?  If the accuser is correct, why engage them?

my first ever GFs mom was a 4'8" Irish redhead from West 44th - in the heart of the Kitchen, back in it's heyday - anyways, when she (mom) found out i was half Italian she went berserker on my ###, saying "a guinea ain't nuttin' but a N***** turned inside out" 

times weren't as PC as they are these days, so i just objected to her slandering of the Italians with a big "#### you, Broom Hilda" (she was not what one would call a looker).

oh, my gf?  yeah, she wound up marrying a Haitian dude - mom disowned her ...

... and Broom Hilda wound up marrying an Italian after she buried her third husband.

assuming your friend isn't a racist, the only acceptable response is: 'f*** you.' 

I'd probably say something along the lines of, "Whoa, not the intent at all. Sorry about that, I'll be more mindful in the future."

True story:  I caused quite the commotion during my (Jewish) confirmation (yes, we have such a thing when you are around 16 or so) when my speech started with "every one of you sitting in these pews is racist"

Now, this is a liberal bastion (though well off economically, so some leanings of fiscal conservativeness, but not enough to overcome the NY Jewiness) Jewish community on the north shore of long island, and one that certainly had plenty of people who liked to "push the envelope" for effect, so it's not as if I'm about to give a sermon to some salt of the earth blue hairs or some uber conservative folks in the nation's breadbasket. 

But the Rabbi, quite the troublemaker of his own in his youth, actually brought me into his office to convince me to not start of the speech as such.  Made me actually change the wording.

Until I got up on the beama (the religious "stage") and called out everyone as a racist. 

My point was here is one of the admittedly less racist groups, and very liberal, but (a) I had already seen plenty of latent racism of the normal variety, as not many would be ecstatic if THEIR kid wanted to say, marry a black spouse - although the potential "raciness" of having your son/daughter DATE out of race would certainly be welcome... just not marriage for goodness sake!  and most of all (b) the racism, Anti-Arab and anti-muslim (moreso Arab though in my experience, but this was pre 9-11 as well) focused, was awful.  So I wanted to call out the hypocrisy.

I learned young that you know who hates being called out as a racist?  Racists.  And do-gooder, generally really good people who are still racist in their own ways but don't like to admit it because "well, THIS is different" REALLY don't like it. 

Users who are viewing this thread