What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Kinks Song? ***Official Poll*** (1 Viewer)

List Three

• Till the End of the Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tired or Waiting For You

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Living on a Thin Line

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Think Visual

• 20th Century Man

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Victoria

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Waterloo Sunset

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Where Have All the Good Times Gone

• You Really Got Me

Votes: 24 18.2%
  • choice on different list

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • I don't like the Kinks but I like voting in polls

• Superman

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • State of Confusion

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Heart of Gold

• Other - not listed

Votes: 25 18.9%

• Total voters

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy
I know, hard to pick just one from this massively influential British Invasion band. Hell, I couldn't even cut the choices down to two lists without feeling that I was leaving something off that needed to be there.  I'm sure if we asked Ray and Dave which is best, they would get into a fight over it.

The first concert I ever attended was The Kinks at the Lakeland Civic Center for their "Give the People What They Want" tour in 1981. Although they haven't put out a studio album since 1993's "Phobia", they've remained one of my favorite bands for life.

Saturday night, Dave Davies performed at a concert tribute to the Smithereens' recently passed Pat DiNizio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 5 favorite band of mine, and The Kinks was also the first concert I ever attended.  Very tough choice.  Isn't the name of "There's No England Now" really "Living on a Thin Line"?  My favorites are between that and Muswell Hillbilly, but I am not sure either is really their "best" song.  Third list needs a "different list" choice

Not that I'd vote for it, but Living On A Thin Line is a tragic oversight when this list was compiled.

Top 5 favorite band of mine, and The Kinks was also the first concert I ever attended.  Very tough choice.  Isn't the name of "There's No England Now" really "Living on a Thin Line"? 
Good catch

Third list needs a "different list" choice
I accidentally submitted before I was through. It's there now. 

A few others worthy of discussion for me, but not on your list...

Superman

Supersonic Rocket Ship

State of Confusion

Here Comes Yet Another Day

Heart of Gold

A few others worthy of discussion for me, but not on your list...

Superman

Supersonic Rocket Ship

State of Confusion

Here Comes Yet Another Day

Heart of Gold
Lol, I was actually listening to "Superman" in the car when I decided to make this poll and still forgot to put it on. There's too many good ones.

Top 5 favorite band of mine, and The Kinks was also the first concert I ever attended.  Very tough choice.  Isn't the name of "There's No England Now" really "Living on a Thin Line"?  My favorites are between that and Muswell Hillbilly, but I am not sure either is really their "best" song.  Third list needs a "different list" choice
Kinks were my first concert as well.

Voted for You Really Got Me.

Favorite not on the lists "Juke Box Music".

I have a student named Jack who always saying a lot of stupid stuff in class.  Every time he opens his mouth, I can't get the song Jack the Idiot Dunce out of my head the rest of the day.

I would guess this will run away with the vote...
Probably right. It's a great song. Much like Rush and "Tom Sawyer" though, I'm always hoping it's not the song that's going to play when a DJ says he's going to play the Kinks. Too many other great ones deserve time.

Huge Kinks fan and love their entire catalog, but for me, my favorite is Waterloo Sunset. What I loved about the Kinks is that they painted pictures of life in England and this song is a masterpiece. So glad I got to catch the Kinks several times live in my high school years. Just saw Dave perform last spring. Played a little theater in a suburb of Chicago. Good to see him in better health and great to see him on stage again.

Was just reading an interview with Dave where he says they get along great now, but they mostly talk about things other than music.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw something with Ray within the last six months or so saying they were fine and that a reunion wasn't inconceivable. I think I was drunk when I saw/heard it so no idea where it came from.

Live version 

Well I said goodbye to Rosie Rooke this morning,
I'm gonna miss her bloodshot alcoholic eyes,
She wore her Sunday hat so she'd impress me,
I'm gonna carry her memory 'til the day I die.

They'll move me up to Muswell Hill tomorrow,
Photographs and souvenirs are all I've got,
They're gonna try and make me change my way of living,
But they'll never make me something that I'm not.

Cos I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
But my heart lies in old West Virginia,
Never seen New Orleans, Oklahoma, Tennessee,
Still I dream of the Black Hills that I ain't never seen.

They're putting us in identical little boxes,
No character just uniformity,
They're trying to build a computerized community,
But they'll never make a zombie out of me.

They'll try and make me study elocution,
Because they say my accent isn't right,
They can clear the slums as part of their solution,
But they're never gonna kill my cockney pride.

Cos I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
But my heart lies in Old West Virginia,
Though my hills, they're not green,
I've seen them in my dreams,
Take me back to those Black Hills,
That I ain't never seen.

Well I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
But my heart lies in Old West Virginia,
Though my hills, they're not green,
I've seen them in my dreams,
Take me back to those Black Hills,
That I ain't never seen.

I really like Low Budget, the album and the song but I voted for a different favorite in all three lists.

as an aside, whenever I have seen a band live that starts asking for requests, I inevitably shout 'the Kinks"

Waterloo Sunset

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling
Flowing into the night
People so busy, makes me feel dizzy
Taxi light shines so bright
But I don't need no friends
As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset
I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window
But chilly, chilly is the evening time
Waterloo sunset's fine

Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station
Every Friday night
But I am so lazy, don't want to wander
I stay at home at night
But I don't feel afraid
I am in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

Millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground
But Terry and Julie cross over the river
Where they feel safe and sound
And they don't need no friends
As long as they gaze on Waterloo sunset
They are in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

Would possibly have voted Have a Cuppa Tea from Muswell Hillbillies, but I love this poll, so I don't want to be too critical. I went with Village Green Preservation Society.  Was my first pick the 65-'15 draft we did a year or so back.  

NewlyRetired said:
Living on a Thin line is so entangled in my head with the Sopranos,  Great song, but I did not see it on list so I went with celluloid heroes.
It is in the third list but mis-named as "There's no England Now"

Galileo said:
I would guess this will run away with the vote...
And it’s great but I’m not voting for it.  I was just listening to them the other day and I think I know what I’m voting for but want to go back and listen to everything on the lists before I choose.

Don Quixote said:
Waterloo Sunset may be my favorite song ever.

HellToupee said:
Waterloo Sunset

one of the best songs from the 60s. Beautiful song

Father Christmas is my 2nd fave Christmas song

Galileo said:
Waterloo Sunset

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling
Flowing into the night
People so busy, makes me feel dizzy
Taxi light shines so bright
But I don't need no friends
I am in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station
Every Friday night
But I am so lazy, don't want to wander
I stay at home at night
But I don't feel afraid
I am in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

Millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground
But Terry and Julie cross over the river
Where they feel safe and sound
And they don't need no friends
As long as they gaze on Waterloo sunset
They are in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine
This was where I was leaning before reading anything but the title.  I know how I’m spending my workday tomorrow!

Even though The Kinks always seems to be on the underrated lists they are still way underrated for me - just fantastic and I’m going to say something that will be controversial to some but I put them above the Stones - they are both so good but The Kinks are more my personal taste.

Even though The Kinks always seems to be on the underrated lists they are still way underrated for me - just fantastic and I’m going to say something that will be controversial to some but I put them above the Stones - they are both so good but The Kinks are more my personal taste.
I don't think that's too controversial. I like them more than the Stones, by a lot.  :shrug:

I don't think you can go wrong with The Kinks.  

I don't think that's too controversial. I like them more than the Stones, by a lot.  :shrug:

I don't think you can go wrong with The Kinks.  
I just think your average person will know of the Stones but if you say “The Kinks” a lot will ask what songs they play.  Granted we are skewing old here but I think the Stones are much better known but for me are inferior - they do have longevity greatly in their favor so maybe that’s the explanation.

I just think your average person will know of the Stones but if you say “The Kinks” a lot will ask what songs they play.  Granted we are skewing old here but I think the Stones are much better known but for me are inferior - they do have longevity greatly in their favor so maybe that’s the explanation.
Yeah. I'm biased. My new mug for coffee and tea is an officially licensed "Have A Cuppa Tea" mug by The Kinks. I've always loved the Davies' songs. When I was in my mid-twenties, driving around to both Rhino's Greatest Hits collections and the Kink Kontroversy was a pastime of mine.  

Simply put, when it comes to the British Invasion, I'm a Kinks and Zombies fan, maybe over the Beatles and Stones, and there's nothing anybody can do, because it's all subjective.

What a nice argument to have, though. So much creativity!   

The Rolling Stones may be a better "rock and roll" band, had more big hits, and win on longevity.  However, I think The Kinks are more innovative and explored a wider range of styles.  I find myself choosing to listen to The Kinks more often then I choose the Stones when I am listening to my personal music collection

ericttspikes said:
Huge Kinks fan and love their entire catalog, but for me, my favorite is Waterloo Sunset. What I loved about the Kinks is that they painted pictures of life in England and this song is a masterpiece. So glad I got to catch the Kinks several times live in my high school years. Just saw Dave perform last spring. Played a little theater in a suburb of Chicago. Good to see him in better health and great to see him on stage again.
This is #2 for me after Come Dancing.  Father Christmas is #3.

Users who are viewing this thread