Drunken Cowboy

***Official 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread*** Back to being the Bucs

125 posts in this topic

Interesting note on MLB payroll---It stands at $150M per team on average. The Bucs and the Brewers are both at about the $100M mark. But it's pretty clear one franchise has leveraged their salaries well, and has the NL's best record as of July 6th. The other remains stuck with a .473 winning percentage.

Last 44 games for the Bucs (14-30)----a 5.03 staff ERA.

Last 44 for Milwaukee (27-17)-----a 3.61 staff ERA.

The Pirates are 30-45 so far this season vs NL clubs. Maybe they need more games against the weak AL Central.

This is GM Neal Huntington's 11th full year on the job.

The club has an 812-897 record during his tenure. That is .475 baseball, or a season average of 77-85. They've not won a division title in that span.

Otherwise, all is just fine with Pirates ownership, who don't appear concerned though this has won thin with the dwindling fan base.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:40 AM, monessen said:

Last 44 games for the Bucs (14-30)----a 5.03 staff ERA.

Last 44 for Milwaukee (27-17)-----a 3.61 staff ERA.

Nice five game sweep of Milwaukee. 

1 person likes this

Curiously, the Bucs staff maintains a road ERA of 4.93, in contrast to their 3.85 ERA in home games. A full run per game lower at home.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Buyers at the deadline now?  Ugh. 

Not sure who they were really going to sell at this point anyways and get a significant return.  Might as well be buyers.  Just don’t expect any type of impact player.  If they can improve the bullpen I’ll be happy

1 person likes this

If they can also get a decent hitter that plays SS and 3rd, that wouldn't hurt. 

They could use some bullpen help, another starter and some depth in the IF.   My guess is they don't do much though.

As great as this stretch has been I am skeptical that Marte and Polanco can keep hitting at this pace.   Also slightly concerned about Dickerson's hamstring

On 7/25/2018 at 7:28 AM, Godsbrother said:

They could use some bullpen help, another starter and some depth in the IF.   My guess is they don't do much though.

As great as this stretch has been I am skeptical that Marte and Polanco can keep hitting at this pace.   Also slightly concerned about Dickerson's hamstring

All very true.

Would not like to see them make a move by tomorrow for the sake of making one.  Hoping for an acquisition to be a viable upgrade or, at least, a solid complementary addition.

Looks like the Pirates have traded for the Ranger's closer Keone Kela.     Don't know that much about him but looks to be a decent pickup (and obviously economical).  It is nice to see the Pirates doing something though they could use another starter and some infield depth.

And for the love of God please cut Sean Rod!

@TBTimes_Rays

BREAKING: Under deal being finalized, #Rays trade Archer to #Pirates for Glasnow, Meadows and a still being decided 3rd piece

5 minutes ago, ThaPenguin said:

@TBTimes_Rays

BREAKING: Under deal being finalized, #Rays trade Archer to #Pirates for Glasnow, Meadows and a still being decided 3rd piece

Wow this is quite a move for the Buccos.  Hate to see Meadows go but at least they are trying to make some moves to win now.  

1 person likes this

Awesome statement by the Pirates!

2 people like this

3 hours ago, monessen said:

Awesome statement by the Pirates!

I don’t know how the trade is going to ultimately turn out but it represents a shift in philosophy from ownership and management.  That’s significant in my mind.  Not the same old Buccos anymore.  

1 person likes this

Oh and I think a change of scenery for Archer will only help.  Perhaps Glasnow turns into the stud that we thought he could be but moving to the AL East certainly can’t help his cause, right?  Meadows could be a solid outfielder but I don’t think we are giving up a stud.

Love what they did :thumbup: 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Love what they did :thumbup: 

Only possible complaint I can think of from Pirates fans is ‘where we’re these balls 3-4 years ago?’

9 hours ago, Epic Problem said:

Only possible complaint I can think of from Pirates fans is ‘where we’re these balls 3-4 years ago?’

Lol i was actually thinking that. 

Do we have the sticks right now though for the moves to matter?

33 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Lol i was actually thinking that. 

Do we have the sticks right now though for the moves to matter?

Well I don’t think the moves turn them into a playoff team this year.  Maybe it increases their chances for the next couple years.    

Posted (edited)

This is part of an essay I'm working on because I was intrigued by Archer vs the AL East compared to other MLB teams:

Chris Archer started his MLB career in 2012 with the Tampa Bay Rays. In the seasons that followed through 2015, he compiled an impressive 3.33 ERA in over 564 innings. Since 2016, in 498 innings, his ERA has been 4.10. Some would cite the rise as a by-product of pitching frequently against the fierce foes in the AL East. And that is a valid position. Facing high-scoring Boston, the Yankees, Toronto, and Baltimore carries many hazards for opposing hurlers. The 29 year-old Archer is a veteran of such wars. His 54-68 win/loss mark may reflect battle scars.

And they do. Almost 47% of Archer's innings have come against AL East adversaries, resulting in a 4.02 ERA and a 21-33 record. Versus the rest of MLB, he maintains a 3.39 ERA. In 21 career starts against NL teams, Archer's ERA is 3.29 . So, away from the usual opposition, he is a more effective starter.

The Pirates had to be aware of Archer's work given these contexts, or they wouldn't have sent 3 good young players in exchange.

Edited by monessen
1 person likes this

Bucs have used 20 pitchers this season. The club has an overall 4.22 ERA.

I looked at the 11 active ones, from Ivan Nova to Nick Kingham to Alex McRae, who've logged innings for the team. Their cumulative ERA is 3.84. Then, I examined the 9 who are either gone (Smoker, Glasnow, etc.) or inactive (Kuhl). Their composite ERA is 5.03. 

Kela and Archer should be fine additions to help get that ERA closer to, or under, the NL mean of 4.07.  

Pirates acquire shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria from Rays for playoff push.

Not overly relevant, but has to be the end of Sean Rod.

I know small sample size but suddenly Glasnow has pinpoint control and showing elite stuff.  Oh the joy of being a Pirates fan.

The club has 60 wins. I believe they have 29 games left with divisional rivals against whom they've played nearly .600 ball this season (28-19).

They also have a chunk of games versus Miami, KC, and Minnesota. In all, the schedule really favors a prospective post-season slot. But they have to keep hitting at the level they've demonstrated since the start of July.

I still think the playoffs are a long shot.  So many teams in the NL are in the race and I feel like the Pirates are still behind most of them in terms of talent.  What are we going to get from Archer?

On 7/31/2018 at 7:30 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

Oh and I think a change of scenery for Archer will only help.  Perhaps Glasnow turns into the stud that we thought he could be but moving to the AL East certainly can’t help his cause, right?  Meadows could be a solid outfielder but I don’t think we are giving up a stud.

I have to backtrack on my initial take of this trade.  Apparently one of our top prospects (Shane Baz) is the 3rd guy listed in the trade.  So that's 3 top prospects for Archer.  Even if Archer is an ace, that's a lot to give up.  The likelihood that Archer suddenly turns into an ace is probably less than 1 %?  Yuck - this now reeks to me of a desperation move.  It doesn't help that Glasnow has pitched lights out since starting in Tampa.

Although I did yank Glasnow immediately off the waiver wire of a keeper league when I heard the news that he was being traded.  With the Pirates track record of selling pitchers who eventually turn into studs, I figured I had a potential lottery ticket.  Feeling pretty damn good about that move right now.

1 person likes this

Pittsburgh Pirates are 61-61. Runs scored: 550. Runs allowed: 550. 

:yawn:

If Glasnow pitches a gem against Boston, NH should be fired on the spot.       :X

11 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Pittsburgh Pirates are 61-61. Runs scored: 550. Runs allowed: 550. 

:yawn:

The worst thing that could have happened to this team was that big win streak right before the trade deadline.  I guess management actually thought they had the talent to compete for a playoff spot.  Here we are minus 3 top prospects and the addition of the most overrated pitcher in baseball?

Posted (edited)

The Bucs are now 186-220 in Augusts and Septembers under Clint Hurdle, going back to 2011. That's .457 baseball. We are again witnessing the annual letdown.

Edited by monessen
omission

In four games this weekend, the Cubs and Pirates scored a combined nine runs. I don't know where that ranks historically for offensive futility, but it is has to be up there. 

On 8/18/2018 at 0:42 AM, fred_1_15301 said:

The worst thing that could have happened to this team was that big win streak right before the trade deadline.  I guess management actually thought they had the talent to compete for a playoff spot.  Here we are minus 3 top prospects and the addition of the most overrated pitcher in baseball?

If that is what thy thought then the whole office needs gutted. This team is not a contender. The risky move was needed in 2014 when they really could have won the whole damn thing. 

56 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

1-0 again?!

Only 87 runs in their last 24 games (10-14), a waste of good pitching.

Pirates in June/July under Hurdle-----237-181, a .567 win %.

Pirates in Aug/Sept under Hurdle-----189-225, a .457 win %.

How many sinkers has archer thrown as a pirate vs Tampa?

On 8/29/2018 at 5:01 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They really need to fire everybody and sell the team.  

What an absolute disaster of a trade this has become.  Glasnow suddenly looks like a legit stud.  Archer is ####### horrible.  Nobody is going to show up next year.