What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pool guys - question about thermometers (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
Ultimate first world "problem." I can't seem to get a thermometer rig that will last. If I use the floating ones, they just get sucked into the filter within 10 minutes if the pump is running. If I try to tie one to the ladder, the cord frays and breaks within a couple of weeks. Anyone figured out a configuration that works? Will regular garden-variety string disintegrate in the water too or will that hold up to the salt/acid? 

Figured I'd ask to see if anyone figured out a solution to this extremely minor annoyance. TIA. 

They can be found cheaper, but probably not less than $45 or so. 

How far is your pump/filter away from where you want to be able to view temperature?  Or would viewing it at the pump/filter be sufficient? It would be pretty easy to just thread a thermometer into a pipe back there or run a small bypass to a more convenient location. 

They can be found cheaper, but probably not less than $45 or so. 

How far is your pump/filter away from where you want to be able to view temperature?  Or would viewing it at the pump/filter be sufficient? It would be pretty easy to just thread a thermometer into a pipe back there or run a small bypass to a more convenient location. 
The pump is way the F out of the way, on the side of the house. 

Get some boat roap
This is probably the answer. I have zero experience with boating, but if there's rope made for that, it's got to be better. I'll check Amazon for a thin enough one to thread through the thermometer loop, thanks. 

Oh and wtf do you need a thermometer in Florida? 

You need to see if you have to throw some ice in?

Jerk

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and wtf do you need a thermometer in Florida? 

You need to see if you have to throw some ice in?

Jerk
36 degrees tomorrow night. Feel free to come over and jump right in! 

In all seriousness, it's for this time of year. I have a solar heater and want to evaluate what effect putting the return water at different temps has on the pool temperature as a whole under different overnight conditions. 

Ultimate first world "problem." I can't seem to get a thermometer rig that will last. If I use the floating ones, they just get sucked into the filter within 10 minutes if the pump is running. If I try to tie one to the ladder, the cord frays and breaks within a couple of weeks. Anyone figured out a configuration that works? Will regular garden-variety string disintegrate in the water too or will that hold up to the salt/acid? 

Figured I'd ask to see if anyone figured out a solution to this extremely minor annoyance. TIA. 
Plastic Zip tie.

Oops, see henry beat me to it, along with others.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a weird thread. I have a decades old concrete pool that has experienced every problem you can think of, but the floating thermometer that was in it when we moved in 6+ years ago is still tied down with the same tie.  The right material seems to be the quick and easy fix.

This is a weird thread. I have a decades old concrete pool that has experienced every problem you can think of, but the floating thermometer that was in it when we moved in 6+ years ago is still tied down with the same tie.  The right material seems to be the quick and easy fix.
It does. But when you don't know what the right material is, and all attempts (B&M) to find it have failed to date..... you get this thread. 

Same problem here (at least when pool isn’t closed) I’m going with the daisy chained zip tie option this year. Why didn’t i think of that? Thanks 

Evilgrin 72 said:

I’ll consult with one of my 3 pool guys and get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread