What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Endorse Your Refrigerator Brand? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Looking at French Door fridges to replace our GE that had severe defrosting problems and now more issues. 

Consumer Reports gives precious little detail on reliability and specific major repair issues. All the fridge selling websites have 5* reviews that are either promoted or written right after they’re bought.

How do you like your fridge? How long has it lasted? Any bad/great experiences?

We just bought a new house in October and looked at every brand. My wife ended up with  the LG French door with the middle drawer. Every review for fridges we saw were negative. Biggest tip we got was if something goes wrong that Samsung’s were a pita to get parts for repair

Going on 10 years with our Samsung.  Ice maker broke in the first year, $90 for the new part and that's it, it's worked flawlessly since then.

Have a 10 year old GE which I pretty much hate.  Has needed a few repairs, but after getting bent over by Sears the first time I found a much better repair guy and have taken on a few myself.  Would like to replace but can't really justify it, also were going to be limited to the exact width for a new fridge 

My wife buys all appliances based only on how they look and not function.  Bought a stainless steel Samsung that cost 2200.00   The condenser failed 8 days  before the 5 year condenser warranty expired so we were lucky there.  Ice maker has broken 2 times in7 years. Seals on the crisper are falling off...but it still looks great in our kitchen from the outside.

Our old Whirpool side by side never broke down in 20 years, now is in our garage still running strong.  Never have had a service call on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a whirlpool. Bought it 3 years ago. The ice maker is kind of wonky but still works. Probably would not buy another Whirlpool. We've had issues with the dishwasher AND stove that we bought as a set to go with the fridge. 

LG - no. Don't buy.

Ice maker is constantly broken. Its got some cool features - like the door opens to just the items on the door if you want. But the ice maker drives me crazy.

Moved into our house and it came with an old Whirlpool I'm guessing was 15+ years old.  I lasted another 2 years before the freezer crapped out.  Repair guy said they don't make the parts anymore, so home warranty paid for a replacement.  Wife chose a GE, mainly because it was stainless and reasonably priced.  Had it for 7 years so far and it's worked great, no issues with operation of it.  Two complains though.  The wire shelves in the freezer were either the wrong size or just made badly.  They didn't fit in the grooves on the sides, so the shelves would fall if bumped slightly.  I rigged up some reinforcement bracing on it and they hold fine now, but it was a PITA.  Second complaint is the ice dispenser.  Ice maker works fine, if maybe a bit loud for my taste, but the dispenser takes FOREVER to dump out ice.  Constantly have to open the freezer door, pull the ice tray out a bit and shake the hell out of it to break it loose and get some ice to come out. Takes anywhere between 15-30 seconds to get an adequate amount of ice to come out for one glass.  

Inlaws have an LG that will fill a 32 oz Yeti with ice in about 2 seconds every single time you push the button.  Makes me hate mine even more.

Have a 10 year old GE which I pretty much hate.  Has needed a few repairs, but after getting bent over by Sears the first time I found a much better repair guy and have taken on a few myself.  Would like to replace but can't really justify it, also were going to be limited to the exact width for a new fridge 
My GE is about 12 years old and a POS.  It has had 3 mobos replaced and the entire water pump assembly.  I am waiting for it to die so I can replace it with something that works as great as my Bosch dishwasher.  I want a French door upper with freezer lower.

We purchased a Kenmore Elite french door, bottom freezer about 10 years ago.  So far so good.  It has a black textured finish to it, all the other appliances we've purchased are black.  It has a water dispenser inside the fridge, I've not seen this before and I don't know if they still exist but I like this feature because you don't have that space compromised by the water/ice dispenser if that makes sense?  The ice is automatically produced and stored in a big tray in the freezer.

Every now and then you have to clean the coils which are on the bottom of the fridge, it takes like 5 minutes with a long coil cleaning bristle brush.  I want to say this thing was like $2k back in the day?  It has a water filter inside the fridge, easy to change out.  As others have said, it seems smallish even though it's not but we have a garage fridge mainly for freezer storage.  

The reason we went with this fridge is mainly because we have a kitchen island and it's right in front of the fridge, you can't have a conventional fridge because the doors would bang into the island.  Really piss poor kitchen design, early 90's.  Ah well.

Kenmore - 10+ years that we've had it. No problems that we've seen except...  the grill that covers the air exchange underneath the front of it had a part snap off of it.  The grill can be put back into place loosely with no visible defects, UNLESS, someone kicks it or hits it with a broom while cleaning. Unfortunately for our house, all of the people that are capable of kicking it loose are not able to put it back in place.  

So, don't buy a Kenmore. 

Have have had a very basic bottom freezer Blomberg for about ten years with zero problems. Forgot the price, but I’m told they are the makers of some Viking appliances. I know it was cheaper than the fancy names like Viking, Thermador, Bosch, etc. We bought it at the time because it was narrow, but tall and fit better into the space we had. Also got a Blomberg dishwasher at the same time that is still going strong.

Bought a Whirlpool stainless steel fridge 2.5 years ago and am not a fan.  Ice maker has already crapped out and the drawers from the crisper snapped a plastic piece off, so they didn't close right until my wife fixed it with super glue.  Their customer service is atrocious.  Unfortunately, our microwave and dishwasher are also Whirlpool, so I have them crapping out to look forward to.

Couple months ago, we bought a 'set' from Home Depot of GE because my wife liked the 'black slate' color that they had, looks metal-ish but isn't fingerprinty-stainless.

Got the whole set of 4 pieces for ~$4200. Here is the fridge we got. There are two sets of this type (one is Adora and is Home Depot only) There are minute differences between the types and you select those you are interested in.

One thing that I will suggest is to look at installation costs, we were thinking about going with Lowes, and found they added several hundred dollars on for installation on some of the pieces. (Fridges tend to be less, just because they are less work, but keep that in mind and check!!!)

No. Had terrible luck with Fridges. Samsung stainless French door crapped out after a couple years. At least they cut me a check for purchase price less tax. Kenmore Elite (LG) same style replacement also only lasted 2-3 years. Took weeks to resolve with Sears who eventually gave me a credit for purchase price less tax. Wasn't going to but replaced with same brand, upgraded with that storage drawer in middle. Great fridges all when they are working. Hoping 3rd time is the charm. Repair guys said all pretty much suck nowadays.

With GE selling off portions of their company, I'd be cautious buying any of their products right now.  Uncertain long term support and disgruntled employees...no thanks.

My thoughts on refrigerators (actually most appliances)...don't buy more tricks/whistles than what you absolutely need.  Do you really need your fridge hooked up to wifi, a camera to look inside, or a touch screen to select between different ice/water combinations?  All of those are just more $$ (both now and later for repair) that have a high probability of breaking shortly after your warranty expires.

Funny thing is I bought a mini fridge with an NFL logo that lights up 10 years ago off CL for $50 and park it next to my TV in the man cave. Runs like a champ. 

Whirlpool can suck a johnson.

We have had an Electrolux (Frigidaire) for 4 years. French door, counter depth, SS, freezer on bottom, ice/water in door. No problems with it. We had another Electrolux (same model) previously about 3 years but it had a new ice maker design that was a total fail. They ended up replacing our fridge with a new one with the original ice maker design and we haven't had any problems since.  The original fridge is out in the garage and no problems since we don't use the ice maker in it. One of the reasons we picked the Electrolux as part of a kitchen remodel was many of the french door designs don't have flexible freezer bins and it had a shallow freezer drawer so you didn't have to just drop everything into one big bin. You can remove/modify the bin dividers.   

We just bought a new house in October and looked at every brand. My wife ended up with  the LG French door with the middle drawer. Every review for fridges we saw were negative. Biggest tip we got was if something goes wrong that Samsung’s were a pita to get parts for repair
All of you with LG, how has the ice maker in the door been? Leaking or problems with the “flex” design?

I know a few of you LG guys said the ice maker sucks but please elaborate. 

All of you with LG, how has the ice maker in the door been? Leaking or problems with the “flex” design?

I know a few of you LG guys said the ice maker sucks but please elaborate. 
It clogs all the time. So every couple of days, you have to pull out the bucket and clean out the chute. Its just clogged with ice. 

And then a week or so ago, mine just stopped working. I reset it a bunch and for about a week, it didn't work. I pressed the button to make the ice faster, and now it seems to be working. 

I've no idea why.

GE.  No issues.  French door top, with bottom freezer.  Definitely the way to go if you have the space.  The bottom freezer holds like 3x more than our old fridge, and the stuff you need everyday is at eye level.

We like our Samsung a lot and have had no issues at all, though we've only had it for a year and a half.  We have the French doors up top with the freezer drawer down below and a deli/beverage drawer in the middle.  This is pretty much the perfect organizational design for us.  We have a separate beer/water fridge, so we use the middle drawer for meats and cheeses.

Oh yeah, we have the black stainless (most of our appliances are black stainless).

LG here that looks a lot like the one Mr. Ected has except stainless (which we like), not that cool black slate.  We don't make ice so no problems there.  It's about ten years old and we've only had to get the LED panel replaced and some excess ice in the freezer removed, both in one service appointment, very cheap.  We like it a lot.  

Yes, I think that was the 1st problem.  Compressor was the second.  Thing makes all kinds of strange “non-fridge” noises (mainly different “pop” sounds) about 1-2x a week.
One of the easiest ways to extend the life of your fridge is to clean out underneath it every four months and replace the water filter.  

Dust/dirt cause your compressor/etc to work harder and a clogged filter makes your pump/etc to work harder 

It clogs all the time. So every couple of days, you have to pull out the bucket and clean out the chute. Its just clogged with ice. 

And then a week or so ago, mine just stopped working. I reset it a bunch and for about a week, it didn't work. I pressed the button to make the ice faster, and now it seems to be working. 

I've no idea why.
Same deal for mine. Dispenser gets plugged and every few months I get a 1F (?) error and it stops making ice. The fan is freezing (per google) and you can fix it be defrosting which is basically taking the ice holder out and leaving the door open for an hour. Apparently the faster ice making setting makes the fan move more frequently preventing the issue. 

I would not really recommend the LG (we got a floor model for $1k off so it has been a little more palatable).

What I have concluded from this thread is that if your compressor or ice maker has not blown in 10 years whatever the brand is.... you endorse the fridge. If it has it is junk.

And I agree!

Before starting the thread I originally wanted the LG LMXS30776S, the same as HellToupee, but was scared off by the $3,000 price and ice maker problems. 

Then I was going to get the Samsung RF28HMEDBSR for $2,299 because despite ice maker problems it appears there’s a fix now involving some new parts. But where I was going to buy it today was backordered on it and quoted a 2/28 delivery. Umm...no.

So I took another peek at Best Buy to see what they had for Open-Box or Clearance. Lo and behold they had the above LG Open-Box for $2,349 ($651 off) at a store about an hour away. I verified it was still there and took off with the trailer to look at it and negotiate, getting there about 40 min before closing.

I started examining the fridge and asked for the manager, a cute 25 yo "7.” She was super helpful and as we chit chatted I asked if that price was the best she could do.  She said she knows she can take off $50 no problem. I pointed out some dirt and light scratches and she says let me see what I can do. She changed the condition to Residue and Some Scratches and was pretty excited to tell me it changed the price to $2,150 ($850 off). 

Meanwhile I had already pointed out a previously unseen 2” dent that I was considering as a deal breaker and texted pics to the wife. I was surprised whoever tagged the fridge had it listed as Excellent and she agreed. She changed the ticket again with the damage and said it came up as $1,950 ($1,050 off). Sold!

With my cc Rewards as well as Best Buy Rewards, those are bonuses. I have like 10 or 14 days to decide if I want the 3-yr warranty for $200 or 5-yr for $300. I never buy extended warranties but the number of expensive problems on these new fridges are well documented.

One of the easiest ways to extend the life of your fridge is to clean out underneath it every four months and replace the water filter.  

Dust/dirt cause your compressor/etc to work harder and a clogged filter makes your pump/etc to work harder 
Agreed.  Lesson learned on the compressor part - repair guy said “that winter coat the compressor is wearing did not help you at all”.

Regarding the ice maker, if it does not get used daily, it will jam.  Quick wooden spoon stir breaks the jam and away we go.

Users who are viewing this thread