What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Endorse Your Refrigerator Brand? (1 Viewer)

I have the opposite opinion of Samsung fridges. Our's has been a piece of junk since we got it--granted it is still running, but there is this gear in the motor that has a plastic spindle and it has gone bad three times.. The first time it was covered by the purchase warranty--the last two covered by our home warranty. The ice maker sucks so bad and produces so little ice.

I want a smart fridge, but some of the reviews concern me.

So my saga on the above Open-Box LG took a turn after I got it home and installed. It wouldn’t cool. Investigating it further revealed Best Buy had likely been scammed on its previous Return. The compressor was as dirty as a 5 yo fridge as well as other worn parts and soiling. 

BB was cool about it and I got $600 off their sale price on a new one, so $2,399 vs $1,949 on this open box pos. 

Hope I fair better. Picked up the 5-yr bumper to bumper just to make sure I get five years. 

We have a Bosch with the condensation drying system.  I’m this case can you disregard the top rack only thing for certain plastics since we don’t have any of those heating coils on the bottom?

Yes and GE has really been taking their sweet time sending the checks. I may have to speak to my agent about it.....when I find one.

I bought the Samsung from Lowe's. The piece that drains the water into the condensation tube is too small. This is a known problem and they sell a longer replacement. What happens in the French door model with the bottom drawer is the drain overflows and leaks under the bottom drawer. This freezes a sheet of ice a half inch thick and as big as the drawer ?. You either have to take the entire back wall panel of from the inside of the fridge (yes empty everything) and put this little part in or open the drawer daily and let the big chunks fall to the ground. Lowe's and Samsung are well aware of this but no one has went class action on them yet so you fix it. Great fridge other than that.

Before starting the thread I originally wanted the LG LMXS30776S, the same as HellToupee, but was scared off by the $3,000 price and ice maker problems. 

Then I was going to get the Samsung RF28HMEDBSR for $2,299 because despite ice maker problems it appears there’s a fix now involving some new parts. But where I was going to buy it today was backordered on it and quoted a 2/28 delivery. Umm...no.

So I took another peek at Best Buy to see what they had for Open-Box or Clearance. Lo and behold they had the above LG Open-Box for $2,349 ($651 off) at a store about an hour away. I verified it was still there and took off with the trailer to look at it and negotiate, getting there about 40 min before closing.

I started examining the fridge and asked for the manager, a cute 25 yo "7.” She was super helpful and as we chit chatted I asked if that price was the best she could do.  She said she knows she can take off $50 no problem. I pointed out some dirt and light scratches and she says let me see what I can do. She changed the condition to Residue and Some Scratches and was pretty excited to tell me it changed the price to $2,150 ($850 off). 

Meanwhile I had already pointed out a previously unseen 2” dent that I was considering as a deal breaker and texted pics to the wife. I was surprised whoever tagged the fridge had it listed as Excellent and she agreed. She changed the ticket again with the damage and said it came up as $1,950 ($1,050 off). Sold!

With my cc Rewards as well as Best Buy Rewards, those are bonuses. I have like 10 or 14 days to decide if I want the 3-yr warranty for $200 or 5-yr for $300. I never buy extended warranties but the number of expensive problems on these new fridges are well documented.
I hope you bought the extended warranty. My folks have this model for a little over one year.    Right before we pulled the trigger on ordering one their compressor went out.  After lengthy calls, my mom was able to get them to pay for the repair, but it was only a 1 year on the compressor. 

Not or sure what I’m going to do now. 

Have a whirlpool that prior owners bought.  Runs fine does the job but most of the removable/adjustable plastic bits are all cracking and generally ####ty.  Replacing things like the drawer rail stop is a couple hundred bucks so I have mostly DIY my way through those things to keep it intact until it simply dies and I replace it.  I wouldn't be shy about replacing with the same model really. 

We have a Bosch with the condensation drying system.  I’m this case can you disregard the top rack only thing for certain plastics since we don’t have any of those heating coils on the bottom?
I'm in the market. Seems all the big store brands, LG, Samsung, GE, etc., have quality issues.

Anyone else own Bosch? Recently purchased a Bosch dishwasher and so far it seems like a quality product.

Bosch Fridge

Had a Samsung French drawer with the fourth drawer. Started out like a beast, but crapped out a few weeks ago after only 5.5 years. Main fridge compartment would not stay cold, guessing condenser went bad, this was after the ice maker stopped working 6 months back, and after we had replaced some of the containers that held things in on the doors (I attribute this to my kids pull the milk straight out, using the brace as a pivot point instead of lifting the jug out). Apparently there was also mold in the line. Samsung repair guy said it would cost us 7-800 to repair the components and since it was over 5 years old they don't recommend doing it. At least that's what my wife believes he said. Guy didn't speak more than 10 words in english. This is less than a month after our Samsung washer crapped out after only 3-4 years. Needless to say we're done with Samsung.

Now have an LG with in door ice maker (nice having a full shelf on top). Was concerned about ice capacity so splurged and got the one with the ice maker in the freezer too as the old Samsung couldn't keep up in the summer. Only been a couple weeks, but it runs as quiet as the Samsung use to (co-worker has an LG and says it's loud). The ice maker is a lot quieter. The water dispenser is a little goofy, and the digital reading lights up every time you open the door, but those are insignificant.

3 things I don't care for:

The bottom of the fridge has a fridge wide pull out tray (kinda like the old fourth drawer on the Samsung). Problem is I can't put cans in it upright and you have to open both doors to get access. It's better than a lot of models which require you open both doors 100% to gain access.

The other insignificant, but annoying thing is the tiny shelf on the bottom of the right fridge door. Our gallon milk is in the compartment right above it so it's kinda hidden.

Last one that I'm still on the fence on is the top compartment on the right door. It's like the old school butter/egg trays with a fold down lid. Nice and big that hold two dozen eggs side by side, but I might have preferred a regular bin to put smaller items like condiments, jars.

I bought the Samsung from Lowe's. The piece that drains the water into the condensation tube is too small. This is a known problem and they sell a longer replacement. What happens in the French door model with the bottom drawer is the drain overflows and leaks under the bottom drawer. This freezes a sheet of ice a half inch thick and as big as the drawer ?. You either have to take the entire back wall panel of from the inside of the fridge (yes empty everything) and put this little part in or open the drawer daily and let the big chunks fall to the ground. Lowe's and Samsung are well aware of this but no one has went class action on them yet so you fix it. Great fridge other than that.
My 10 year old samsung is doing this now, thanks for posting.

Before starting the thread I originally wanted the LG LMXS30776S, the same as HellToupee, but was scared off by the $3,000 price and ice maker problems. 

Then I was going to get the Samsung RF28HMEDBSR for $2,299 because despite ice maker problems it appears there’s a fix now involving some new parts. But where I was going to buy it today was backordered on it and quoted a 2/28 delivery. Umm...no.

So I took another peek at Best Buy to see what they had for Open-Box or Clearance. Lo and behold they had the above LG Open-Box for $2,349 ($651 off) at a store about an hour away. I verified it was still there and took off with the trailer to look at it and negotiate, getting there about 40 min before closing.

I started examining the fridge and asked for the manager, a cute 25 yo "7.” She was super helpful and as we chit chatted I asked if that price was the best she could do.  She said she knows she can take off $50 no problem. I pointed out some dirt and light scratches and she says let me see what I can do. She changed the condition to Residue and Some Scratches and was pretty excited to tell me it changed the price to $2,150 ($850 off). 

Meanwhile I had already pointed out a previously unseen 2” dent that I was considering as a deal breaker and texted pics to the wife. I was surprised whoever tagged the fridge had it listed as Excellent and she agreed. She changed the ticket again with the damage and said it came up as $1,950 ($1,050 off). Sold!

With my cc Rewards as well as Best Buy Rewards, those are bonuses. I have like 10 or 14 days to decide if I want the 3-yr warranty for $200 or 5-yr for $300. I never buy extended warranties but the number of expensive problems on these new fridges are well documented.
I hope you bought the extended warranty. My folks have this model for a little over one year.    Right before we pulled the trigger on ordering one their compressor went out.  After lengthy calls, my mom was able to get them to pay for the repair, but it was only a 1 year on the compressor. 

Not or sure what I’m going to do now. 
I did buy the 5-year warranty. 

Its running flawlessly right now so I’m happy it’s not a lemon right out of the box.  We’ll see how it lasts. 

lumpy19 said:
My 10 year old samsung is doing this now, thanks for posting.
Oh yeah I forgot our Samsung did this as well. Nothing like laying a bunch of beach towels down and taking a hair dryer to your freezer. Thankfully we have other freezer options so we could shift things around. Got to the point that we got pretty good at it. 

We have a "Frigidaire Gallery 22-cu ft Counter-Depth Side-by-Side Refrigerator" because its the shallowest counter depth.  We have a weird area where the fridge is, and the Samsung/LG/etc. counter dept fridges are all 1"+ deeper, which wouldn't work.  

Its noisy and I hate it.  No issues with it in 2ish years, but it's staying with the house because we hate how noisy it is.  All the reviews online say the same thing.  Just stay away from this fridge.

Our old fridge was 10+ years old and was quieter (but the ice maker kept breaking).

I see a lot of you have the French Door with the freezer on the bottom. I have been using one in the house we are renting and hate having to bend down every time we want something out of the freezer. Trying to dig stuff out of there is a pain. While I can see that there is more room in there than a traditional top-freezer model (which has the opposite issue), I'm not sold on the side-by-sides either but we will need to buy something for our new house in the next month or too and I'm just not sure which design to go with.

For those with French Door/Freezer on the bottom, do you have the same issues? Do you like this setup? For those of you with Top-Freezers or Side-by-Sides, what do you consider to be the pro's and cons of that setup?

I see a lot of you have the French Door with the freezer on the bottom. I have been using one in the house we are renting and hate having to bend down every time we want something out of the freezer. Trying to dig stuff out of there is a pain. While I can see that there is more room in there than a traditional top-freezer model (which has the opposite issue), I'm not sold on the side-by-sides either but we will need to buy something for our new house in the next month or too and I'm just not sure which design to go with.

For those with French Door/Freezer on the bottom, do you have the same issues? Do you like this setup? For those of you with Top-Freezers or Side-by-Sides, what do you consider to be the pro's and cons of that setup?
I’ve had all three types in my life. To me french door and freezer on bottom is by far the best. 

Fridge is what you use the most and that’s in the sweet spot on height. No biggie bending over for a few seconds every once in a while into the freezer. 

I've had an LG for about 18 months.  AVOID.  

You can look up on Google, but they are having a lot of problems with their new compressors.  I even saw a pending class action lawsuit.  

When I started calling around to repair shops this week, no one even wanted to come out because it was an LG and they knew the answer and told me to contact LG.  LG has increased their warranty period on these to 5 or 10 years, but their call center is closed due to COVID-19.  The approved repair shops on their site don't even service LG products anymore.  I was able to get someone out here by contacting them through Facebook and they are giving us $150 for lost food reimbursement.  But I'm assuming this new one they are installing is just going to crap out in another year or so.

We have a Maytag that is about 20 years old and still works fine. Even the icemaker still works. I recommend it.

Newer models have much more electronics but unfortunately only last about 8-10 years.

I have a Kenmore fridge and it's been fine.  It's towards the bottom of the line (no frills like water fountain or ice maker).  It's about 15 years old now and it's still working and doesn't make much noise.  I'd like to get a new one, but that's in part because I want some of the add-ons and in part because it's just old.  

However, I also have a Kenmore range and that's been a POS.  

Couple months ago, we bought a 'set' from Home Depot of GE because my wife liked the 'black slate' color that they had, looks metal-ish but isn't fingerprinty-stainless.

Got the whole set of 4 pieces for ~$4200. Here is the fridge we got. There are two sets of this type (one is Adora and is Home Depot only) There are minute differences between the types and you select those you are interested in.

One thing that I will suggest is to look at installation costs, we were thinking about going with Lowes, and found they added several hundred dollars on for installation on some of the pieces. (Fridges tend to be less, just because they are less work, but keep that in mind and check!!!)
Update, we've had them now for over 2 years and no real problems. I'm still working an issue with the dishwasher where I sometimes have some residue in pint glasses after a wash. But that is another issue.

Had no problems with he GE fridge. Love it. Filter is easy to get on Amazon, so whenever I get a warning that it's running out, I order a new one and have it ready. Every once in a while the ice maker will clog with a clump of ice that needs to be broken, but no big deal. This is probably more due to the fact that the ice maker in in the door, and if it get's left open, there's some melting and refreezing. 

Have a whirlpool. Bought it 3 years ago. The ice maker is kind of wonky but still works. Probably would not buy another Whirlpool. We've had issues with the dishwasher AND stove that we bought as a set to go with the fridge. 
Similar story here. We did a refrigerator, washer, stove, microwave bundle with Best Buy in 2017. I'll leave out the delivery failures with Best Buy for now and just focus on Whirlpool.

The dishwasher motor broke twice in the first 2+ years. They replaced both under warranty even though we were technically a couple days over warranty on the first motor. Also, in the first year, the door gasket was torn which caused a minor leak. Luckily we noticed it quickly and it didn't cause damage. Also covered under warranty. It was a previous dishwasher leak (don't remember the brand) that led to a lot of repairs (covered by insurance) and we went ahead and replaced all appliances at that time. So we were really annoyed at that gasket tear. Several months ago, I think the motor was broken again. This time, though, they weren't going to cover it unless we paid hundreds of dollars to have the control panel fixed first so they could then determine if the motor was broken. We refused and bought a KitchenAid.

Just recently, our freezer was occasionally dripping out the front. Turns out a drain in the back was gunked up. Repair guy fixed it and it was only $120 for the visit (no parts no additional labor cost) but a fix that needed to be made in the first few years of it's life. We've also had some issues with cheap pieces of plastic like others have mentioned in this thread.

Our stove light went out in the first few months. Not a big deal, but also not a great sign. More importantly, one of the large front burners doesn't work right. You can use it on high and boil things, but none of the medium level heats get very hot. Never tried to get that fixed. We have three other burners so not sure it's worth paying a repairman to even come look at it.

So far, the microwave is fine.

That's four Whirlpool appliances and three have had problems (one, the dishwasher, multiple problems) in less than 3 years.

I will not buy Whirlpool again. Oh, and I haven't spent a single dollar at Best Buy since then either.

I've had an LG for about 18 months.  AVOID.  

You can look up on Google, but they are having a lot of problems with their new compressors.  I even saw a pending class action lawsuit.  

When I started calling around to repair shops this week, no one even wanted to come out because it was an LG and they knew the answer and told me to contact LG.  LG has increased their warranty period on these to 5 or 10 years, but their call center is closed due to COVID-19.  The approved repair shops on their site don't even service LG products anymore.  I was able to get someone out here by contacting them through Facebook and they are giving us $150 for lost food reimbursement.  But I'm assuming this new one they are installing is just going to crap out in another year or so.
Had the same issue. Guy that finally came and replaced mine (free parts, still like $300 labor) said he was going to stop fixing LG. Cincy/ NKY is devoid of LG repair options. Shame, because other wise  I really like the design/features. Will not buy a other LG fridge. Apparently they charge the repair guys up front for the part and they have to jump through hoops to get reimbursed.

Had the same issue. Guy that finally came and replaced mine (free parts, still like $300 labor) said he was going to stop fixing LG. Cincy/ NKY is devoid of LG repair options. Shame, because other wise  I really like the design/features. Will not buy a other LG fridge. Apparently they charge the repair guys up front for the part and they have to jump through hoops to get reimbursed.
LG sent a guy here today and fixed it totally free.  This wasn't a third party repairman.  Guy showed up in an LG van.

We have a "Frigidaire Gallery 22-cu ft Counter-Depth Side-by-Side Refrigerator" because its the shallowest counter depth.  We have a weird area where the fridge is, and the Samsung/LG/etc. counter dept fridges are all 1"+ deeper, which wouldn't work.  

Its noisy and I hate it.  No issues with it in 2ish years, but it's staying with the house because we hate how noisy it is.  All the reviews online say the same thing.  Just stay away from this fridge.

Our old fridge was 10+ years old and was quieter (but the ice maker kept breaking).
My 5 yo Frigidaire gallery rusted through the back where the water line enters.  Known design issue and they didn't stand behind it.  Should have gone the class action route but didn't bother.  I manage hundreds of rentals and there will never be a Frididaire product in any of them.  

LG sent a guy here today and fixed it totally free.  This wasn't a third party repairman.  Guy showed up in an LG van.
Maybe they revamped something. My experience was a year or two, and the LG guy in the phone directed me to 2 or 3 places, one which didn’t answer the phone, another that said it would be 4 weeks, and finally the guy I got who still took 2 weeks.

mine was inside the parts warranty, but I guess since it was a couple years old I was SOL on labor.

Samsung sucks for us. We bought our house in 2014 and it was loaded with Samsucks appliances. One by one they fail and we have had to replace. The fridge is all that is left and I have to take it apart every 3-4 months and blow dry a piece of ice that the fan starts to nick (thanks youtube), when it eventually piffs I promise you I will never buy a Samsucks anything.

Users who are viewing this thread