What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your preferred "Stadium" concert experience? (1 Viewer)

How do you like your stadium concerts?

• Wish everyone would sit down and shut up and let the band play

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Some sitting, some standing, crowd sings when band asks them to

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Mosh Pit or lawn, no seats, woot woot

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I don't go to big "stadium-style" concerts

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Statorama

gangster
Went to Ticketmaster to check on some Zac Brown (wife is a fan) pre-sale tickets and it led to a discussion with my wife about our concert-going preferences.  They have a mosh-pit style setup in front of some reserved seating, and general admission lawn in the back.  Found that neither of us were into the mosh pit scene, and didn't need to be thisclose to the stage to enjoy the experience (including sitting on a towel in the lawn section).  Cool.

Where we differ is in our concert experience.  She's part of the jump/sing/dance during the entire concert crowd, while I'd like it if....well, let's just say I didn't pay to hear Beatrice from the Accounting Departments version of the song the band is playing. 

How do you like your concerts when you're in a stadium-style setting?

I like to get drunk and shout WHHHOOOOOO!!!! in between songs (like a Ric Flair WHHHOOOOOO) 

Staying completely seated is kind of lame, but I don't need anyone getting overly obnoxious either 

All depends on the music...couple years ago Mumford + Sons w/ John Fogerty I was front and center.  Flogging Molly, I'm in the pit.  Any of the wifey's so called country music, "babe, you know you don't wanna jockey for position with all them drunks spilling beer and nacho cheese all over the place.  Let's get some seats"

Typically standing whether its on the lawn or at seat.  I will sit down from time to time to take a rest when its a slow song.    I've been to some shows like Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds where its really chill and everyone sits; still a very good time but a lot different.  If I'm doing GA in front of the stage, I'm usually farther back where I have some space to move.

ETA:  I have no idea which option to choose.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that it depends on the act.  While I'm too old for general admission anymore, certain acts are best enjoyed on the main floor with all the crazies.  Pearl Jam is the "hardest" act I see anymore, and I enjoy having a seat with my own space to sway out of rhythm and sing along under my breath.  I saw Eddie Vedder on one of his solo acoustic tours, and sitting down the whole time was perfectly appropriate.

What is the point of going to a concert to just sit there?  Next time, just stay home and put your headphones on and listen.
To the the band live and hear what they sound like in that setting?  You can also get the feel and energy of the show if you are sitting in the stands (though maybe not quite at the same level as being right in front).  Most 

I have long realized that I am getting too old to see shows.  Tix are too expensive for me have to watch a show through a sea of people holding up their cell phones and recording the concert, or just talking through the whole thing.  Most of the stuff that I see now is at a smaller venue with a floor and a balcony so I don't have to be a grump through the whole thing.  I still love seeing some bands live, but am also perfectly happy sitting up in the balcony and watching from afar.  

Wife wants to see Zac Brown at Fenway and I have no idea who he is. Well I know he’s some country guy but that’s it. Traditional? Tractor rap? Modern country pop? 

I hate Fenway so I’m not to thrilled 

Wife wants to see Zac Brown at Fenway and I have no idea who he is. Well I know he’s some country guy but that’s it. Traditional? Tractor rap? Modern country pop? 

He puts on a good show, band is really good.  usually mixes in like 5 or 6 cover songs too 

I'm standing basically no matter what, so if you're not, sorry, I guess?

The best experience is when everyone stands the whole time. A couple recent shows I've seen have met this expectation - The Killers and Bruce Springsteen but most don't and some old guy is mad at me for standing in his line, while I'm wishing the concert was in a smaller club where this wasn't an issue.

It's fairly traditional modern country, but he's pretty good. One of the best among the traditional stuff these days, I'd say. I haven't been to any concert in a long time, but I'd imagine a Zac Brown concert would be loaded with hot, drunk chicks.

Much depends of the age of the band and crowd.  Also on where you are sitting. If I am on the main floor I hate it when people stand because everybody has to stand.

Saw the Eagles at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit a few years ago before Glenn Frye passed away. We had pretty good seats on the side that would have been 15th row during a hockey game. This was a great concert and hardly anyone stood..probably because the average age was over 50. Still plenty of dope smoking going on though.

I saw Garth Brooks at the same venue and had main floor halfway back and these idiots stood the whole show. So we had to stand or watch on the jumbo screen.

I find the whole stadium show experience extraordinarily boring and sterile. I’ve gotten to point of avoiding them like the plague. 95% of the stadium is just watching the show on the Jumbotron pumping images behind the stage because they’re so far away. I can do that when they release the tour video via mass media. Obviously good seats can help fix that, but the whole ticket system is a racket that I’d rather not buy into 

Agree that it depends on the act.  While I'm too old for general admission anymore, certain acts are best enjoyed on the main floor with all the crazies.
I agree with this.  I saw a great concert at a venue with 200-300 people last year, and since I am too old to stand for a whole concert now, I like having seats, but I definitely went down the floor in front of the stage for probably 1/3 of the show, for certain songs, to rock out.  And then it was back to my seat to rest up for the next ### kicker. :lol:

As for stadium shows, I have actually only seen 2 bands in a stadium - Pink Floyd and U2 - and both shows were great, but I was so far back both times that I can't imagine going to another stadium show and sitting that far back unless it is another "must see" act. 

This sounds like you're describing an amphitheater setup rather than a stadium. For me, it depends on the show. If it's brief (1 or 2 bands, a couple of hours,) give me floor all day. If it's several bands or someone like Pearl Jam that plays 3 hour shows, give me seats in the first few rows behind the floor. Standing for 4+ hours is tiring on old legs. If it's a band I don't care as much about, I'll take lawn. Cheap and you can spread out and chill. 

Also, there's liable to be healthy pit at a Zac Brown Band show? Wall of Death or GTFO. 

I actually just went to a show with seating and left part of the way through. I wound up feeling really forced in even though it was an amphitheater. 

I think LD's point up top is a good one, too. I just went to Metallica and it was basically watching a big screen pump in images of the show. If they'd charged me, I would have watched from home on my computer. I couldn't see the band with the overwhelming imagery going on from the big screens. The other band, Avenged Sevenfold, was different. The big screens didn't detract from seeing them nor overwhelm the performance. It was pretty good in the end. 

KP's point also noted. I love balconies at clubs. I always try to get back center at those. You usually can see the sound guy down below when that happens, and it's just a cool vibe. 

But I voted for standing/mosh pit in the poll. I prefer general admission. 

It's been many years since I was a regular concert goer but generally I was standing in the crowd and swaying to the music, coliseum or outdoors. Some Ampitheater concerts seated--JC Superstar and one of the Fleetwood Mac concerts some to mind.  

For me it is all how good the sound is where my seats are located. For example, someone mentioned Fenway Park. It could be the worst outdoor venue in America when it comes to sound quality because it wasn’t designed for music. 90% of the seats for live music range from bad to completely horrible in terms of sound quality. 

And yeah, I’m going to stand during a show by I prefer jam band music and flying on some driug.

Years and years ago when I still went to concerts my buddy got us floor seats for Rush in Cleveland, this was at the old Richfield Coliseum. Before then, I always sat in the stadium seats at every other concert I had been to.  Honestly, I never paid attention to the floor experience, I was always focused on the bands I was watching.  In my mind closer was better so floor seats would be the best experience.  Bzzzzt, wrong answer.  The concert starts and the people in front of us jump on their chairs (these are folding chairs) so you can't see.  So then what?  Well, then you have to stand on your rickety, metal chair for the remainder of the concert.  And let me tell you something, when everyone around you is standing on their chairs, front, back, sides is piss drunk, high or both or they just have crappy balance, they're falling off their chairs and smashing into you making for a pretty miserable experience.  

My favorite concert experience is an outdoor amphitheater setting in the fall time, no rain, not too hot, not too cold.  I went and say Yes, holy crap, almost 30 years ago and it was really nice.  We sat in the grass, on blankets, stood occasionally but it was Yes so while it jammed, it's not really the kind of music you go crazy over and do stupid crap if that makes sense.  Great concert.  There was a lunar eclipse that night, during the concert,so Yes stopped halfway through for a break and for everyone to watch it and then they started right up after a while and started off with Heart of the Sunrise.  Again, pretty amazing, it was awesome.

I used to work concert security back in the day.  I have seen my fair share of mosh pits and have spent many hours keeping people from cracking their skulls open when they'd get flipped over the barricades.  I don't need any more of that scene.  I would prefer to sit...listen...and enjoy, but I don't ever expect that and I am OK with a mixture of stuff.   But as others have said, depends on the type of show.  

Users who are viewing this thread