What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 FBG Album Poll - COUNTDOWN TODAY (Feb 22) (2 Viewers)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
Link to last year's thread

Tenative deadline is January 25th. If there aren't enough lists in by then, I will extend it but I'm away for work the week of the 29th, so the countdown needs to either go down the week before of after that.

Suggestions and discussion welcome in this thread. PMing lists to me is encouraged vs. posting them here, so there is some drama in the big reveal.

Rules
These are the rules we've used in the past, still work for everyone, or should we do some tinkering? The one thing that happens with the assigned points is one person can love an album, give it 30 points and it finds it's way into the midsection of the countdown. It puts an album "loved" by one person ahead of one that was "liked" by 3 or 4 people, which can be either a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I think it adds some diversity to the chart but maybe we should roll the max per album back to 25?

- You have 200 points to distribute as you see fit among 10 to 20 albums.
- No album can be given more than 30 points
- You can also simply post your top 10-20 albums in order and they will be awarded points in a descending order from 19-1.

- You must post at least 10 albums
- Any album consisting of new/previously unreleased material released in 2017 is eligible (No reissues, compilations must be all new material)
- Live Albums must have been recorded and released in 2017
- EP's are eligible
- You can post your album rankings/points assignments here or PM them to me (PMing them to me adds some mystery as to how the final results shake out, but if some people just want to post a top 10/20 list, that's fine too).
- The more participants the better
- Let's try to keep this near the top of the page for the next couple weeks.

EXAMPLE 1 - Points Assigned:

The Beatles - Abbey Road - 30
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed - 30
The Band - The Band - 25
The Who - Tommy - 20
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - 15
Led Zeppelin - II - 10
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground - 10
The Stooges - The Stooges - 10
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River - 10
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - 10
Neil Young with Crazy Horse -Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 5
Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis - 5
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams - 5
Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash - 5
The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace of Sin - 5
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - 1
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left - 1
Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! - 1
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis - 1
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica - 1

Example 2 - Albums Ranked

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (will be awarded 19 points)
2. Led Zeppelin - IV (will be awarded 18 points)
3. The Who - Who's Next (will be awarded 17 points)
4. Joni Mitchell -Blue (will be awarded 16 points)
5. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (will be awarded 15 points)
6. Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (will be awarded 14 points)
7. David Bowie - Hunky Dory (will be awarded 13 points)
8. Carole King - Tapestry (will be awarded 12 points)
9. John Lennon - Imagine (will be awarded 11 points)
10. The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (will be awarded 10 points)
11. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story (will be awarded 10 points)
12. T. Rex - Electric Warrior (will be awarded 9 points)
13. Janis Joplin - Pearl (will be awarded 8 points)
14. The Doors - L.A. Woman (will be awarded 7 points)
15. Can - Tago Mago (will be awarded 6 points)
16. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate (will be awarded 5 points)
17. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (will be awarded 4 points)
18. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up (will be awarded 3 points)
19. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (will be awarded 2 points)
20. Yes - Fragile (will be awarded 1 points)

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap, now I am actually going to have to commit to the order of the albums on my list... spots 2 through ~8 have been pretty fluid based on my mood at the moment. 

ETA: I also have to narrow it down from 23 to 20

Jaysus said:
Crap, now I am actually going to have to commit to the order of the albums on my list... spots 2 through ~8 have been pretty fluid based on my mood at the moment. 

meh, I just chopped my current list at 20 and submitted as is... distributing points was enough of a task at this point. 

Jaysus said:

I think I have my top 4 or 5 pretty figured out, but narrowing the rest down will be tough as it always is for me. 

I probably pimped them too hard to you guys and into oblivion, but of course IDLES will be my #1.

Most of my favorites were released earlier in the year. Didn't listen to much new music over the summer for some reason. Looking forward to see what I missed.

Benjamin Booker: Witness 30
Ty Segall: Ty Segall 30
The Feelies: In Between 25
Part Chimp: Iv 20
together PANGEA: Bulls and Rosters 20
QOTSA: Villians 20
Pissed Jeans: Why Love Now 20
Melkbelly: Nothing Valley 15
Foxygen: Hang 10
METZ: Mess of Wires 5
Fleet Foxes: Crack-up 5

I just realized I know nothing about today’s music....and am officially old.
I keep going backwards because I missed so much and I'm just convinced that most of the new stuff is really revivalism of genres once done better. 

I don't know if it's because I'm getting old and that's a Get Off My Lawn sentiment, or whether I'm right. 

I do have a few favorite albums of 2017, though, so I may assign a limited number of points to a few albums I really enjoyed.  

I keep going backwards because I missed so much and I'm just convinced that most of the new stuff is really revivalism of genres once done better. 

I don't know if it's because I'm getting old and that's a Get Off My Lawn sentiment, or whether I'm right. 

I do have a few favorite albums of 2017, though, so I may assign a limited number of points to a few albums I really enjoyed.  
Looking forward to what you and others post so I can expand my horizons!

there was a bunch of stuff this year that I really liked- been loving this post-punk renaissance.

ok... here's my list. 

IDLES- Brutalism (30)

White Reaper- The World's Best American Band (20)

Priests- Nothing Feels Natural (15)

LCD Soudsystem- american dream (15)

Courtneys- Courtneys ll (10)

Pissed Jeans- Why Love Now (10)

Wavves- You're Welcome (10)

Protomartyr- Relatives in Descent (10)

Thee oh Sees- Orc (10)

B Boys- Dada (8)

Downtown Boys- Cost of Living (7)

Together PANGEA- Bulls and Roosters (6)

Cloud Nothings- Life Without Sound (6)

Thundercat- Drunk (5)

Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile- Lotta See Lice (5)

These New South Whales- You Work for Us (5)

Sleaford Mods- English Tapas (5)

Ron Gallo- HEAVY META (5)

Real Estate-In Mind (3)

The Feelies- In Between (3)

The Districts- Popular Manipulations (3)

Pist Idiots- Pist Idiots (2)

The Orwells- Terrible Human Beings (2)

Elbow- Little Fictions (2)

Grizzly Bear- Painted Ruins (1)

The Gotobeds- ####### in the Future +5 (1)

Froth- Outside (briefly) (1)

You’re in a transitional phase. It’s still plausible enough that you’re right so you can convince yourself or at least consider the possibility that it’s the case. When you’ve had this same experience 5-6 years in a row, you’ll start to accept the truth.

Starting to flesh out the results. In the past week of doing this, I've remembered some that I really liked that came out early, and am rounding the list into form.   

Starting to flesh out the results. In the past week of doing this, I've remembered some that I really liked that came out early, and am rounding the list into form.   
I kept an unsorted Google Keep list all year so I did not forget :bag:

Okay, went back through the song and album drafts, checked about eight end-of-year lists, did my own thing by going to punk zines (Razorcake and MRR) and PunkNews and think I've got a pretty darn good list. Not that anybody cares, but it's fun to bump this thread. 

eta, after the likes, so Jaysus and Eephus aren't liking this particular posting nor picks...here's the list...

So here’s the list, with sourcing if somebody turned me on to them or the particular record (like NV pushing Lorde) as a way of thanks. I’ve been listening since last Weds or so, and feel like this year is a competent list, personalized enough to be totally mine while also not going overboard on any genre or off the deep end with any selections. Glaring omissions are jazz and classical, but I always viewed this as a pop culture affair.

1) Run The Jewels - RTJ3 - 20*

2) IDLES - Brutalism - 18      (Flop!)

3) Lorde - Melodrama - 16   (NV!)

4) ’68 - Two Parts Viper - 15 

4) Brand New - Science Fiction -15

4) Jay - Z - 4:44 - 15

7) Spoon - Hot Thoughts - 13

8) Clowns - Lucid Again - 12 (Jaysus!) 

9) Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions - 11

10) BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION III - 10

10) Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. - 10

12) Direct Hit!/Pears split LP - Human Movement - 9

13) The Dirty Nil - Minimum R&B - 8

14) Oso Oso - The Yunahon Mixtape - 7 

15) Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory - 6 

16) The Dopamines - Tales of Interest - 5 

17) Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound - 4 (The board!)

18) Rapsody - Laila’s Wisdom - 3

19) These New South Whales - You Work for Us - 2  (Floppo again!)

20) Future - HNDRXX - 1 (Actual trap living)

*They were in most end of the year polls, even though they were also in our 2016 Countdown. So, if need be, I'll just slide them out and adjust accordingly and slide Iron Chic into twentieth, keeping all corresponding scores reasonably constant by giving everybody an extra point. 

Honorable mentions: Iron Chic - You Can’t Stay Here; Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life; White Reaper - The World’s Best American Band; and others I’m forgetting but these were close - oh, I can’t get over the guy in Pissed Jeans and his voice. That was close, too. Little Pump somehow almost snuck in, too. 

And and The World Is A Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid To Die's - Everything Foreign was close. 

{/spoiler]

When I looked back at my lists from previous years (because I'm that kind of :nerd: ), I was generally pretty happy overall with the albums I repped.  But the points I gave out sometimes seem very questionable in retrospect.  This coupled with the lack of a true standout album in 2016, caused me to give ten points each to my twenty favorites.  In the end, it really simplified the process.

For your consideration and in alphabetical order

Tony Allen    --    The Source    --    10

Beck    --    Colors    --    10
Big K.R.I.T.    --    4eva Is a Mighty Long Time    --    10
Big Thief    --    Capacity    --    10
Daniel Caesar    --    Freudian    --    10
Alex Cameron    --    Forced Witness    --    10
Cloud Nothings    --    Life Without Sound    --    10
Liam Gallagher        As You Were        10
Ghostpoet    --    Dark Days + Canapes    --    10
Ben Gibbard    --    Bandwagonesque    --    10
The Horrors    --    V    --    10
Jason Isbell    --    Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit    --    10
Japanese Breakfast    --    Soft Sounds From Another Planet    --    10
Kelela    --    Take Me Apart    --    10
Kendrick Lamar    --    DAMN.    --    10
Daniele Luppi & Parquet Courts    --    MILANO    --    10
Laura Marling    --    Semper Femina    --    10
Mura Masa    --    Mura Masa    --    10
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever    --    The French Press    --    10
Spoon    --    Hot Thoughts    --    10

Need ruling:  Artist released an album in 2012.  As a kickstarter perk for those who helped crowd-fund the LP, the artist threw in an additional mixtape, essentially, of 11 songs that didn't make the cut for the album.  Based on overwhelming response from his fans, he decided to remaster and rework these 11 songs.  In 2017, he released an album consisting of the remasters of these 11 songs from 2012 plus an additional 7 new songs.  Allmusic lists it as a 2017 release only since the 2012 songs were never really released.

Is this a 2017 album?

Need ruling:  Artist released an album in 2012.  As a kickstarter perk for those who helped crowd-fund the LP, the artist threw in an additional mixtape, essentially, of 11 songs that didn't make the cut for the album.  Based on overwhelming response from his fans, he decided to remaster and rework these 11 songs.  In 2017, he released an album consisting of the remasters of these 11 songs from 2012 plus an additional 7 new songs.  Allmusic lists it as a 2017 release only since the 2012 songs were never really released.

Is this a 2017 album?
That's 2017 

When I looked back at my lists from previous years (because I'm that kind of :nerd: ), I was generally pretty happy overall with the albums I repped.  But the points I gave out sometimes seem very questionable in retrospect.  This coupled with the lack of a true standout album in 2016, caused me to give ten points each to my twenty favorites.  In the end, it really simplified the process.

For your consideration and in alphabetical order

Tony Allen    --    The Source    --    10

Beck    --    Colors    --    10
Big K.R.I.T.    --    4eva Is a Mighty Long Time    --    10
Big Thief    --    Capacity    --    10
Daniel Caesar    --    Freudian    --    10
Alex Cameron    --    Forced Witness    --    10
Cloud Nothings    --    Life Without Sound    --    10
Liam Gallagher        As You Were        10
Ghostpoet    --    Dark Days + Canapes    --    10
Ben Gibbard    --    Bandwagonesque    --    10
The Horrors    --    V    --    10
Jason Isbell    --    Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit    --    10
Japanese Breakfast    --    Soft Sounds From Another Planet    --    10
Kelela    --    Take Me Apart    --    10
Kendrick Lamar    --    DAMN.    --    10
Daniele Luppi & Parquet Courts    --    MILANO    --    10
Laura Marling    --    Semper Femina    --    10
Mura Masa    --    Mura Masa    --    10
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever    --    The French Press    --    10
Spoon    --    Hot Thoughts    --    10
Loved that Milano album at first listen, and then a little less subsequently.

Love the egalitarian approach, but could end up with potentially all albums outside the final list, which seems to bottom out around 20 iirc..

This is one of my favorites threads each year but I’m always amazed at some of the top picks.  I don’t think I get a lot of modern music.  GET OFF MY LAWN!

This is one of my favorites threads each year but I’m always amazed at some of the top picks.  I don’t think I get a lot of modern music.  GET OFF MY LAWN!
I don't think you're any different than I am, at least. I had commented upthread about being in a transition to GET OFF MY LAWN mode. 

Loved that Milano album at first listen, and then a little less subsequently.

Love the egalitarian approach, but could end up with potentially all albums outside the final list, which seems to bottom out around 20 iirc..
True but there wasn't one single album that compelled me to carry its torch and assign max points.

I looked at your list and listened to #2 (Idles) because you and Floppo both mentioned it. Thought it was horrible

:shrug:  

Yeah, I almost knew that was going to be it. We might be the only two that take them. That's a lifelong thing of liking punk and really abrasive, off-kilter stuff, though I don't think Eephus likes them and he is surely right there with punk 

I'm sitting at 12 lists, so this is going to get pushed back. I will @ a bunch of people who have submitted in the past as well to get as many as possible.

If you have sent in a list and want to update in the meantime, feel free.

Users who are viewing this thread