What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Songs That Bring A Tear To Your Eye (2 Viewers)

There are a few songs that make the room dusty for me, most of them dealing with stuff with dads. My dad and I had a strained relationship during my teen years, and we've since patched things up, but those songs still get me.

"Take Me Home, Country Roads" John Denver

Reminds me of my late mother who was a Denver fan.
Good one.  When I was very young and couldn't sleep my mom would rub my back and sing a song.  The three I remember are Delta Dawn, Cotton Fields, and Country Roads.  Anytime I hear any of those songs, I can't think of anything but those (vague) memories.  Fortunately I still have my mom, but when she's gone those will be puddle makers.

Leader of the Band - Dan Fogelberg

Was already a great song from my childhood.  It was played at my wife's uncles funeral (ALS got him young).  He was a pretty successful musicion, just an all around awesome guy.  Opened for Chicago back in the 70s a few times.  Miss that guy.  

Baby Blue - Badfinger.

Right about the time Breaking Bad ended, my mom succumbed to cancer.  Not sure why I correlate the two, but this song still gets me.  The last few years before my mom passed with very contentious with her.  I regret that every day.  

This from waaayyy back in the day - my cousin and i watched that flick together, and tried to emulate a few of the scenes - he passed far too young at age 28, due to AIDS complications. 

and a preemptive entry Here - my daughter's six months away from beginning the teen years  :(  she watched the movie with me, and has been practicing it with her vocal coach - she loves that tune. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In no particular order:

Where are Your Going-Dave Matthews Band: For my family

Second Chance-Shinedown: Tell my mother, tell my father I've done the best I can...

My Father's Shoes-Level 42: A little off the beaten path but I'm a sucker for prodigal son narratives:

Even now I see him walking home at sundown
He's whistling rock of ages
With his lunch box at his side
I still recall the smell of smoke
And ashes on his jacket
And that factory dust was on his shoes
The afternoon he died

I swore I'd never heed that factory whistle
In a banker's cage I signed a loan
Against my future sins
All the neighbors shook my hand
And wished me well upon my leaving
Though my father was a poor man
He owned a wealth of friends

So take these boots that shine like Judas silver
And all these sad reflections on lost untraveled roads
While the rain falls on a field of bones and roses
Give me back my father's shoes and let me walk in those

My stroke was good, the deals fell fast end easy
I hired the sweat of honest men and took the lion's share
My wardrobe filled with shirts of silk
And boots of tender leather
And I walked in them the halls of power
But found no comfort there

And all these sad reflections on lost untraveled roads

Lady lay these boots upon the fire
'Cause lady now I swear I'll never wear this pair again
I meant to stand up straight and tall
It never was that easy
Now these soles are stained from walking on the dreams
Of better men

And all these sad reflections on lost untravelled roads

But most recently... I was sitting around on this past Christmas morning, waiting for my kids to get ready to go have lunch with my mom. My heart was already heavy as hell, but I was trying to suck it up and keep on a happy face, for the kids' sake.  Then Bible and a 44 by Ashley McBryde came on Youtube after something else finished playing. I had heard it before and it had not affected me, and I've listened to it since then and it didn't affect me then either. But on that day, with the sadness already in my heart, and between the quiet house, her soulful voice, her lyrics about her father who was obviously very influential for her, before I knew it, there were tears streaming down my face. 
Really liked this 1.

Clair de lune - I actually cannot listen to it.  I don't consider myself an emotional person, perhaps I am and that I'm in denial?  Anyway, my parents were married for 40 years, they were not just husband and wife but also best friends, a true team.  They held hands everywhere they went, very romantic with each other and they genuinely enjoyed spending time with one another.  They set a great example for me and I've tried to emulate that in my own marriage as best as I can.  Anyway, my father died suddenly a year before I married my wife.  Clair de lune was my parents song.  My Dad used to buy my Mom little figurines or jewelry boxes that would play that song for her.  We had a harpist play at our wedding, she was pretty amazing and she also played at our reception, she was at the back the room just playing background music.  

Near the end of the reception, my Mom sat down across from her and asked her to play Clair de lune (again this is about a year after my father passed away so it was still pretty difficult for all of us) but that image of my Mom sitting there, by herself, while the harpist played "their song" is forever burned in my mind, that was such a powerful moment and I think of that whenever I hear that song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sullie said:
Clair de lune - I actually cannot listen to it.  I don't consider myself an emotional person, perhaps I am and that I'm in denial?  Anyway, my parents were married for 40 years, they were not just husband and wife but also best friends, a true team.  They held hands everywhere they went, very romantic with each other and they genuinely enjoyed spending time with one another.  They set a great example for me and I've tried to emulate that in my own marriage as best as I can.  Anyway, my father died suddenly a year before I married my wife.  Clair de lune was my parents song.  My Dad used to buy my Mom little figurines or jewelry boxes that would play that song for her.  We had a harpist play at our wedding, she was pretty amazing and she also played at our reception, she was at the back the room just playing background music.  

Near the end of the reception, my Mom sat down across from her and asked her to play Clair de lune (again this is about a year after my father passed away so it was still pretty difficult for all of us) but that image of my Mom sitting there, by herself, while the harpist played "their song" is forever burned in my mind, that was such a powerful moment and I think of that whenever I hear that song.
post that brings a tear...

and perhaps the loveliest melody in creation

Sabertooth said:
Leader of the Band - Dan Fogelberg

Was already a great song from my childhood.  It was played at my wife's uncles funeral (ALS got him young).  He was a pretty successful musicion, just an all around awesome guy.  Opened for Chicago back in the 70s a few times.  Miss that guy. 
Good one - definite tearjerker.

That Badfinger song is great, I listen to it pretty frequently - sorry about your Mom

Just heard Lightning Crashes by Live and realized that it's a song that's always hit me right in the feels.  A song about the circle of life.  Reminds me of when a close friend of the family lost his brother to cancer and on that same day my brother had his first child.  He was so happy to hear some good news on that day.  He is my brother's godfather.  Strange how things happen.  That friend of ours has now been lost to cancer as well.

This song gets me every time.  I travel a lot for work and this makes me run home every chance I get.  I just sent last night to a good buddy considering a job change with a baby due in a couple of months and woke up to a text saying “i just cried and I sent to my wife and so did she”....give it a listen, especially if you travel a lot

Don’t Miss Your Life - Phil Vassar

Users who are viewing this thread