What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Evangelical support of Trump (1 Viewer)

Well, you can call it whatever you want but in the end you're still taking a human life.

so when you say not killing babies I don't know what you mean because, ultimately, that's exactly what's happening.
Sorry....that should have said "not killing babies vs killing babies".  That's not the decision they are making....In my experience most people understand that.  Also, in my experience, the ones trying to frame it that way have little interest in a good faith discussion on the topic.  It's far more complex than that. :shrug:  

Evangelicals acknowledging that Trump is evil would really be something. 
"Evil" is a strong word. In my experience, lots of Evangelicals thought he was the less bad of two bad choices.

I think the recent Christianity Today article is a good illustration lots of Evangelicals saw him this way. 

"Evil" is a strong word. In my experience, lots of Evangelicals thought he was the less bad of two bad choices.

I think the recent Christianity Today article is a good illustration lots of Evangelicals saw him this way. 
I think taking children, even some babies, from the parents of asylum seekers is Evil. 

Did you say anything when this happened before Trump?
the Obama administration was putting families together in cages whereas Trump introduced a no tolerance policy for illegal border crossings (since rescinded).

So obviously when an illegal border crosser was jailed his children did not get jailed with him. That's how they got separated because they were put in foster care because we were not obviously going to put children in jail with their parents.

We don't do that for US citizens being charged with a crime as well. Their children go to foster care or they get placed with another family member.

Last edited by a moderator:

As BladeRunner pointed out, I was just toying with the figure of speech. 

As BladeRunner pointed out, I was just having fun with the figure of speech. 
Seriously, though, I couldn't believe BladeRunner had not been taken yet.  I had been wanting to use that name forever in every forum I've ever been in but it's always been taken.

And BladeRunner3478543 just doesn't seem right.

Seriously, though, I couldn't believe BladeRunner had not been taken yet.  I had been wanting to use that name forever in every forum I've ever been in but it's always been taken.

And BladeRunner3478543 just doesn't seem right.
I’m glad you got it!  Oddly enough, bigbottom is usually available. 

in our criminal justice system, do we normally put children of parents charged with a crime in jail with them?

Or do we put them in foster care?
These people didn't commit a crime. In fact they were doing what was legally required to try and get admittance to the country and had their children taken and thrown in jail. 

One could easily argue killing unborn babies is moreso evil, but I’m guessing you’re ok with the pro-choice stance of candidates.
My mother had me when she was 18.  Based on that information make some more assumptions about how I feel about abortion

These people didn't commit a crime. In fact they were doing what was legally required to try and get admittance to the country and had their children taken and thrown in jail. 
If they were crossing the border illegally then they were not doing what was required to get admittance to this country. That is why they were being thrown in jail in the first place. Had they come through an official port of entry that would be a different story and not a criminal act.

I'm not sure what the confusion is here. You realize that they're being jailed because they're crossing the border illegally, right? It's not because they're coming through an official port of entry.

My experience with evangelicals is they are far more interested in shaming and punishing people who have abortions than actually reducing the number of abortions.

There’s a lot of pro-choice candidates who support economic and health care policies that reduce abortions.  It’s a much more effective way to reduce abortions than supporting pro-life candidates who exploit single-issue pro-life voters to take office, only to abandon them and spend their time giving tax breaks to the rich and increasing economic stress on the working class, which in turn increases the likelihood of abortions.
And since they only want to shame people--they're actually happy that the Republicans they vote for don't make any policies.  

C'mon.  I'm sure you realize that's a minority of evangelicals.

I could tell you my own experience with abortion.  I've known several people that were financially well enough off to care for a child.  But they weren't ready for the responsibility.  Should I conclude that most abortions are had by financially well off people?  Or is there a majority that I don't have experience with?

They are if they are not going to an official port of entry. If they are crossing the border illegally then that would be a crime.
@Mario Kart 

I'm not sure why you're following me around giving me the heckler's veto in every thread I post in. If you have something substantive to say then say it. Don't hide behind an emoji.

I would like to hear your thoughts.  Let's do this!

They are if they are not going to an official port of entry. If they are crossing the border illegally then that would be a crime.
Perhaps...or perhaps they tried and were stranded still fearing for their safety due to restrictions at the legal port of entry (due to current administration policy of making it even harder to come here legally).  Also, crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor...

Perhaps...or perhaps they tried and were stranded still fearing for their safety due to restrictions at the legal port of entry (due to current administration policy of making it even harder to come here legally).  Also, crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor...
Well, yeah, that's what happens when the government of a country sets the laws which is absolutely within their right to do so. Just because they make it difficult doesn't make it legal to cross the border illegally.  There's a reason it was called zero tolerance.  You come through an official port of entry or you don't come at all. 

I don't understand this thinking that a country cannot set rules on who gets to come in and who doesn't.  Every country in the world does it and a lot of them are a helluva lot more restrictive than the US.  And I'd be willing to bet that every single one of those countries requires that you come to an official port of entry, not just across the border at any point you feel like.

And it doesn't matter if it's a misdemeanor (is it really?) or not. It's still illegal.  You were caught doing something you weren't supposed to do.

I don't understand this thinking that a country cannot set rules on who gets to come in and who doesn't.  Every country in the world does it and a lot of them are a helluva lot more restrictive than the US. 
It’s not that we can’t do it, it’s whether it not we should. 

The USA is the only country in world history that was established in part for the purpose of accepting immigrants and refugees (with the partial exception of the modern state of Israel and there only for Jews.) That makes us different from all the other countries and it’s a key part of our exceptionalism. I for one don’t want to give that up because of a so-called problem that doesn’t really exist. 

BladeRunner said:
in our criminal justice system, do we normally put children of parents charged with a crime in jail with them?

Foster care generally involves one or two adults who are invested in caring for the children. Would you say that is what is happening at the border with these children?

BladeRunner said:

Correct...we put them in foster care.  The obvious problem here is seeking asylum isn't a crime so I'm not sure why you're bringing that element to the discussion.

Christianity Today's split with Trump highlights deeper issue in white evangelical America

However, the coziness with the Republican president, who was impeached this month by the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives, is exacerbating a long-term crisis facing white evangelicalism, some Christians say - it is being abandoned by younger generations.

There has been a big drop-off in white evangelical church participation among adults under 40, and publications such as Christianity Today and religious leaders are struggling to engage “Gen Z,” or those born after 1996.

“One of the major factors is that the church is too tied up in right-wing politics,” said Greg Carey, a professor at Lancaster Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania. Evangelical activism against gay rights is particularly repellant to many members of a generation where “everyone has friends who are LGBTQ,” Carey said.

Trump’s presidency may make the age gap worse, some evangelical Christians believe. “Having to go out and defend this guy day after day, as many of these Trump evangelicals are doing, they’re just destroying their credibility,” said Napp Nazworth, who until Monday was politics editor of another publication, the Christian Post.

Nazworth resigned over the Christian Post’s plans to criticize Christianity Today for its anti-Trump editorial.

He told Reuters many younger evangelicals opposed Trump’s immigration and asylum policies and were concerned about alleviating poverty, in contrast to older members of the faith. Evangelical leaders standing with Trump “will have no moral authority to speak to moral issues of the day after defending him,” Nazworth said.
Evangelicalism, like all forms of Christianity in the United States, is struggling to attract younger members, amid an unprecedented surge in recent years of the number of people identifying as religiously unaffiliated.

White evangelical protestants declined as a proportion of the U.S. population between 2006 and 2018, falling to 15% from 23%, according to analysis by the Public Religion Research Institute.

Higher-than-average voter turnout among evangelicals means the group still represents more than a quarter of the U.S. electorate, but a failure to draw young worshippers means their electoral heft is set to diminish, said Robert P. Jones, chief executive and founder of PRRI.
Meanwhile, other religious scholars and leaders have signed a petitihere in support of Christianity Today, stating that the "United States evangelical and Christian community is at a moral crossroads."

Younger evangelicals are put off by church leaders’ seemingly unconditional support for Trump despite his “cruel” treatment of migrants and deregulation that could damage the environment, said Marlena Graves, a Christian author on faith, culture and justice, who signed the petition.

“No political party embodies Jesus’s teaching closely. You can’t depend on government to do what Jesus says because, oftentimes, you have to go against the government,” she said, citing evangelical believers who worked to abolish black slavery and Christians who resisted Nazism in Germany.

BladeRunner said:

Correct...we put them in foster care.  The obvious problem here is seeking asylum isn't a crime so I'm not sure why you're bringing that element to the discussion.
BUT THEY SOUGHT ASYLUM IN THE WRONG LOCATION!!!!!11111

(Nevermind the fact that Republicans secretly shut down the correct locations without telling anyone...)

It absolutely is if you're not coming thru an official port of entry.  It's an illegal border crossing.  :shrug:

Why do you guys keep twisting things and saying "asylum" isn't illegal?  We're talking about crossing the border at a point other than an official port of entry, which absolutely is illegal.

If you want serious conversation, then provide serious answers.  People crossing into our country illegally is serious business and is not even comparable to "jaywalking".
If someone crosses the border illegally for the sole purpose of turning themselves in  to border agents to declare amnesty, I don’t think that’s much of a crime.  Much different than trying to illegally cross the border to illegally stay.

If someone crosses the border illegally for the sole purpose of turning themselves in  to border agents to declare amnesty, I don’t think that’s much of a crime.  Much different than trying to illegal cross the border to illegally stay.
Especially considering the measures that have been taken to muck up the official points of entry.

It absolutely is if you're not coming thru an official port of entry.  It's an illegal border crossing.  :shrug:

Why do you guys keep twisting things and saying "asylum" isn't illegal?  We're talking about crossing the border at a point other than an official port of entry, which absolutely is illegal.
It's not a level of crime that justifies child separation. Yesterday, you justified your argument by comparing it to American children who are put in foster care when their parents are charged with a crime. However, you conveniently omitted the fact that we only do this when a parent is charged with a felony or when there is an imminent safety risk from a parent -- two factors that are not present with most asylum seekers. Further, you torpedoed your own argument when you used the phrase "foster care" -- if the Trump administration actually went to the effort of placing all migrant children with legitimate foster care families (as Obama did), then it's likely that the scandal never would have happened.

Furthermore, it's a bad faith argument to claim that asylum is illegal solely because the asylees are approaching the wrong port of entry. Why? Because the U.S. government is preventing those people from approaching the proper locations. These people are only "illegal" because the Trump administration is illegally forcing them to be illegal.

I phrased poorly...apologies.  Crossing the border illegally is a "crime" like a parking ticket is a "crime".  I'm good with treating those "crimes" in a similar fashion.  Knowing the level of "crime" here, border agents have given TREMENDOUS latitude historically in terms of asylum seekers.  Meaning, because its a misdemeanor, they typically give the asylum seekers the benefit of the doubt and point them to the right place to file the official paperwork rather than writing them a ticket.  That's why I said "seeking asylum isn't a crime".  That is technically incorrect.

To your original comment where you ask if we separate children from the parents if the parents commit crimes, the accurate answer is "it depends".  If it's a felony and the parents are going to jail, yes we separate them.  If it's a misdemeanor like jaywalking or a parking ticket no we don't.  Hopefully that's clearer and you see why it's absurd to take children away from their parents who are seeking asylum for their families regardless of if they know the specific steps or not.

If you want serious conversation, then provide serious answers.  People crossing into our country illegally is serious business and is not even comparable to "jaywalking".
According to the law, it's very similar :shrug:

That might be a new revelation to you, but this is as bonafide a reality as one can have in this day and age.  

Meanwhile, we've spent billions on abstinence-only sex-ed which is highly correlative with increases in unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, which of course means Trump cut $200m+ in funding from regular sex-ed and studies to improve its effectiveness even further to plow more money into the abstinence-only fairy tale
Abstinence only is the least natural thing on this planet. It is our evolutionary prime driver to procreate. Our bodies literally change and start pumping out hormones and pheromones when we reach sexual maturity to drive this behaviour. And so we (or rather you Americans) tell our (your) teenagers to "just say no" and "it's bad".

So I suppose it is fitting that a lot of the people that support abstinence only also believe in "intelligent" design.

PS In fairness, Catholics all over the world has been trying to walk this walk for a long time but times are moving on from them on this point

A dilemma for some evangelicals at an Evangelical "Hispanic" megachurch in the suburbs of Miami hosting a Trump rally this Friday: ‘You don’t have to be a citizen.’ Pastor hosting Trump pledges safety for undocumented

Attendees must register at DonaldJTrump.com to attend. The pastor of this 7,000-person sanctuary is is known to perform miracles and speak in tongues

>> “You don’t have to be a citizen. And I will give you an affirmation as your spiritual father and your pastor. First, someone said, ‘But how can you bring Trump to church if there’s people who don’t have papers?’ ” Pastor Guillermo Maldonado told his audience of hundreds, referencing Trump’s hard-line anti-immigrant rhetoric and policies.

“I ask you: Do you think I would do something where I would endanger my people? I’m not that dumb.”

Maldonado, a Honduran evangelical pastor who goes by the term of “apostle,” said the King Jesus International Ministry church had been chosen by the president to host about 70 Christian pastors to “talk” and “influence” the president, during a first-ever Evangelicals for Trump rally.<<  

A dilemma for some evangelicals at an Evangelical "Hispanic" megachurch in the suburbs of Miami hosting a Trump rally this Friday: ‘You don’t have to be a citizen.’ Pastor hosting Trump pledges safety for undocumented

Attendees must register at DonaldJTrump.com to attend. The pastor of this 7,000-person sanctuary is is known to perform miracles and speak in tongues

>> “You don’t have to be a citizen. And I will give you an affirmation as your spiritual father and your pastor. First, someone said, ‘But how can you bring Trump to church if there’s people who don’t have papers?’ ” Pastor Guillermo Maldonado told his audience of hundreds, referencing Trump’s hard-line anti-immigrant rhetoric and policies.

“I ask you: Do you think I would do something where I would endanger my people? I’m not that dumb.”

Maldonado, a Honduran evangelical pastor who goes by the term of “apostle,” said the King Jesus International Ministry church had been chosen by the president to host about 70 Christian pastors to “talk” and “influence” the president, during a first-ever Evangelicals for Trump rally.<<  
Admiral Akbar:

Super interesting and thanks for sharing.  

From a pure strategic angle, seems to be a smart move. 

Super interesting and thanks for sharing.  

From a pure strategic angle, seems to be a smart move. 
Definitely smart to court the Hispanic evangelical vote, which is a growing demographic. Around the morning coffee, a Honduran medical assistant, whose husband was a regular attendee of Maldonado's church had some bad things to say about him - money hungry for a new prayer building, the church ignored her husband when he was unable to contribute money, and he lives in a mansion, etc. But she acknowledged that Maldonado is popular because he has "big tongue". 

Here's another good article on the voting dilemma facing Hispanic evangelicals in Florida and elsewhere: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-12-27/latino-evangelical-voters-face-a-tug-of-war-in-the-trump-era%3f_amp=true

With this economy, I think Rubio would've been a shoe-in in 2020.

SoBeDad said:

If I were an undocumented immigrant, there is a 0% chance I would register on DonaldJTrump.com and attend.

The odds of them searching the immigration status on every hispanic sounding name is definitely greater than 0%.

timschochet said:
The USA is the only country in world history that was established in part for the purpose of accepting immigrants and refugees (with the partial exception of the modern state of Israel and there only for Jews.) 
I'm really not sure if any of that is true. Seems like a pretty myopic view of history. The entire history of British colonialism for instance? How different were any of the other countries that experienced genocide of native populations for incoming settlers? The concept of American exceptionalism does us more damage than good in my opinion although obviously at least in the 20th century one could make many good arguments for it. 

That being said I agree immigration has been key to our strength as a country. 

So you're saying that placing maximum restrictions on legal entry and kicking those seeking asylum out of the country while maximizing penalties for those crossing the border anyway and putting their children in separate jails with no system in place to keep track of who was separated from whom and then using those children as bait to deport any undocumented relatives willing to give them shelter while not giving the children toothpaste or soap and watching as they die from the flu after being detained well beyond the maximum number of days allowable by law...you're saying none of that happened under Obama?

Wow, learn something new every day.

People are saying that Obama's policy was to only separate children when there were concerns they were being trafficked or abused, but that can't be right because then the "nobody complained when Obama did it" line would only serve as a disingenuous equivocation meant to justify an inhumane policy rather than provide clarity on a contentious issue. 

While we're here, it should be pointed out that study after study has shown that traditional sex ed and contraceptive availability have a massive effect on reducing unwanted and teenage pregnancy while providing a plethora of desirable side effects (reduction in poverty, increased odds of secondary education, etc.).

Meanwhile, we've spent billions on abstinence-only sex-ed which is highly correlative with increases in unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, which of course means Trump cut $200m+ in funding from regular sex-ed and studies to improve its effectiveness even further to plow more money into the abstinence-only fairy tale. It's part of Trump's broader anti-science agenda, but that's another (thoroughly depressing, imbecilic, and anti-competitive) story. 

I bet you can figure out which strategy is more effective at reducing abortion, just don't tell your friends unless you enjoy being called an immoral socialist baby-killer that hates America.
You - and others - keep calling them "asylum seekers".  That is incorrect.  They are criminals illegally crossing the border if they are not coming thru an official port of entry - regardless of how difficult it is.  I get that you're trying to paint that ALL immigrants coming to our country as "asylum seekers" to garner a sympathy vote, but that's simply not the case. 

Our government should absolutely protect our borders and keep track of and control the number of immigrants coming to this country.  It's one of their fundamental jobs OF government.  You'll never get me to side with the efforts to open our borders indiscriminately and allow anyone to walk across willy-nilly.

And for the record, Obama WAS putting families in cages and no one complained then.  In fact, those same cages were built during the Obama years.  IMO, it's only because Trump is in office has this become an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread