What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Evangelical support of Trump (1 Viewer)

Likelihood of Don Jr. knowing anything about Scriptures is about the same as the likelihood of Nancy Pelosi praying for Trump.

Likelihood of Don Jr. knowing anything about Scriptures is about the same as the likelihood of Nancy Pelosi praying for Trump.
Nancy Pelosi says she does pray for Trump. I believe her.

Don Jr. seems not to know much about scripture -- especially Matthew 4:6, where the devil quotes the Book of Psalms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Jr. seems not to know much about scripture -- especially Matthew 4:6, where the devil quotes the Book of Psalms.
I doubt Pelosi does either..  we all know by now religion is a game of relativism.

Are you more bothered by Pelosi or by Don Jr. here?
Neither.

I recognize the game.  Once you start playing one versus the other in religion both lose.

eta - Don Jr in general seems a bigger ###, but in this case I just see usual religion ### for tat.

Listening to despicable remarks by President Trump at the National Prayer Breakfast today as he attacked Mitt Romney and questioned his faith.

It prompted former justice department official Matt Miller to tweet “It always cracks me up watching how Trump's brain just can't grasp religion or genuinely religious people at all. It's like watching a dog try to understand math.” 

·

He later tweeted

“On the other hand, he understands the conservative religious establishment perfectly, which says more about them than it does him”

This is great: "Likelihood of Nancy Pelosi praying for Trump is about the same as the likelihood of Satan running around quoting the Scriptures." -- Don Jr.
hey, Jr., you need to be careful there. As I recall, Donald Trump is the one who isn't capable of quoting the Scriptures. He's tried twice that I can remember: First was the "Two Corinthians, right?" fiasco, and the second was when he was asked what his favorite Bible verse was. After stammering around for a minute or so trying to think of a verse he could quote, the best he could come up with was an endorsement of one of the few verses specifically repudiated by Jesus "that eye for an eye thing is pretty good." 

The devil will absolutely try and twist Scripture around to fit his ends, which is why context is super important when it comes to the Bible. That passage Satan quoted(Psalm 91:12, for those keeping score) is part of a larger passage detailing how God will walk with those who put their trust in Him. Satan tried to get Jesus to test God by throwing Himself off the Temple, but since Jesus is God and knew what he was doing, He basically told him to kick rocks himself.

The worst part of all of this is that I don't think this is going to end here. There are a lot of people being led astray by unbiblical thinking, and it's a massive uphill battle to try and fix it.

The one i keep going back to is Tommygunz "At some point I think we should just come to grips with the fact that Trumpism represents the views and policy preferences of white Christianity in America.    "

I don't think he does represent Christianity. BUT, I fully understand why you think that would be true. And as a non Trump voting Christian, that makes me super sad. 
Same with me. The religious vote has always been tightly aligned republican, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense right now. Even as a religious person who didn’t vote for Obama either time, if you think our current administration is led more by christian values than Obama’s, well......

I was hoping there would somehow be a real Republican primary, but even if it has to be in November I hope the religious right (of which I am an unashamed member) finds a time and a place to take a stand to show that they are about more than just electing whoever has R next to their name. If Trump is somehow the “more christian” candidate, then fine. But I don’t foresee that being the case from my viewpoint. 

Maurile Tremblay said:

Yeah, but Satan wasn’t literally “running around” when he quoted the Book of Psalms so Don Jr. was totally right.

Also, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's" - which is a great way to get Christians to NOT rock the boat, power structure wise
I remember this as Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things which are his.  No difference, just how I remember it.  Of course, I may be remembering it inaccurately.  The Bible was never my thing, though I did have some Irish Catholic Grandmothers who indoctrinated me before I reached the age of reason, in my case at around 4 years old.

I remember this as Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things which are his.  No difference, just how I remember it.  Of course, I may be remembering it inaccurately.  The Bible was never my thing, though I did have some Irish Catholic Grandmothers who indoctrinated me before I reached the age of reason, in my case at around 4 years old.
You're correct, there is more to that verse.

Jesus was being questioned by the Pharisees about paying taxes to Rome.  They were trying to trap Jesus into saying that Jews should not pay taxes to Rome so they could turn him over to Governor Pilate.  Instead, Jesus replied with "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21), after showing the denarius with Caesar's head on it.  Pay for society's debts and the earthly benefits one may get from society with society's currency.         

So, don't rock the boat. Your reward will come in the next life, however downtrodden you are. Like I said.

I've said it again but many people seem confused by people who promote things they care about.  If the devil himself came and took power and implemented pro-life policies, protected the second amendment, tax cuts, cut entitlements, and put conservative judges on the panel they'd say he was from God.

Lots of confused folks out there.

The worst part of all of this is that I don't think this is going to end here. There are a lot of people being led astray by unbiblical thinking, and it's a massive uphill battle to try and fix it.
It's always been coming but Trump has truly weaponized it.  He truly is turning them into the american taliban in a lot of ways.  There is only there way or the devil - black or white.  

I am not religious, but from an outsider perspective, to me the bulk of Evangelical Christianity seems to be pretty much as opposite to the teachings of Jesus as you can get. Take from the poor, give to the rich, let the sick die, hate thy neighbor etc. I am probably under-informed about the good things that they are doing, but that is essentially my snap reaction. You would find better Christians among the crowd at a Marilyn Manson concert. 

I am not religious, but from an outsider perspective, to me the bulk of Evangelical Christianity seems to be pretty much as opposite to the teachings of Jesus as you can get. Take from the poor, give to the rich, let the sick die, hate thy neighbor etc. I am probably under-informed about the good things that they are doing, but that is essentially my snap reaction. You would find better Christians among the crowd at a Marilyn Manson concert. 
You're probably not wrong in that observation. So many have gotten tangled up in rules, they've reverted what's supposed to be a relationship back into a religion. I've said repeatedly that God is not a Republican.

Not where I am from . I hear it all the time when I discuss my disgust with Trump with people I know.....what are we supposed to do vote for someone from the Democratic Party who support killing babies? 
Well for one thing they could have nominated a more moral candidate to run against Hilary

Nor an American, nor gendered, nor a Christian.
Also accurate. Granted, I refer to Him as a Male, since that's how He chose to appear to us, but honestly, everything about the concept of an omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent Being is hard enough to grasp as it is. Our minds literally can't comprehend the concept of infinite. Personally, I wouldn't want a god I can define easily anyway, because they would be just as messed up as I am.

I wouldn't want a god I can define easily anyway, because they would be just as messed up as I am.
Which, sadly, is what happens when "man" tries to divine the purpose, actions, thoughts of what's described as an omniscient being incapable of being grasped by human minds.  

Yet religion in general and doctrine are human attempts to grasp the infinite.  They nearly always fall short and end up being more of a reflection of the people than of the infinite.

Which, sadly, is what happens when "man" tries to divine the purpose, actions, thoughts of what's described as an omniscient being incapable of being grasped by human minds.  

Yet religion in general and doctrine are human attempts to grasp the infinite.  They nearly always fall short and end up being more of a reflection of the people than of the infinite.
That's why it's always important to go back to the source. I don't trust interpretations, especially when it involves Scripture taken out of context, or if someone says, "God told me."

Josh Marshall @joshtpm · 14m

Falwell on Virginia becoming a blue state: "They're passing all kinds of bills that are just contrary to what the majority of Virginians -- not the majority of Virginians, but most Virginians as far as land mass support."

This is such a GOP-take.  They are measuring support - not based on people, but on land mass.  Don't be shocked if this becomes an issue post-2020 election, where Trump claims victory based on land mass....

I heard these comments today from a Episcopalian friend of mine that hit the nail on the head for me.

"It is a cult; a cult of cowards...Nazis fought and died for what they wrongly believed,  Jim Jones followers literally drank the Kool Aid and died...the cult of Trump is willing to let others fight for them and for others to die because of them just to keep their imaginary boogeymen from getting them. These are the same people who 2000 years ago screamed for their church leaders to kill Jesus.  The god they thank for Trump is neither the Father, the Son, nor the Holy Spirit.  Christians don't have the luxury of loving and forgiving only those they choose..."

lazyike said:
I heard these comments today from a Episcopalian friend of mine that hit the nail on the head for me.

"It is a cult; a cult of cowards...Nazis fought and died for what they wrongly believed,  Jim Jones followers literally drank the Kool Aid and died...the cult of Trump is willing to let others fight for them and for others to die because of them just to keep their imaginary boogeymen from getting them. These are the same people who 2000 years ago screamed for their church leaders to kill Jesus.  The god they thank for Trump is neither the Father, the Son, nor the Holy Spirit.  Christians don't have the luxury of loving and forgiving only those they choose..."
I'm glad you posted this. We could simply switch this around and apply to The Democrats as well.  Thanks!!!

lazyike said:

Just ridiculous but not surprising from this place.

lazyike said:

People like the ones described have been led astray by the unwise notion that political party affiliation somehow makes one more righteous. They're so convinced that God is a Republican(He isn't), that they ignore everything that might question that view.

People like the ones described have been led astray by the unwise notion that political party affiliation somehow makes one more righteous. They're so convinced that God is a Republican(He isn't), that they ignore everything that might question that view.
I'm confused.  Who's acting all righteous again?  It's difficult to tell between you and your post and the post you quoted.

I'm confused.  Who's acting all righteous again?  It's difficult to tell between your post and the post you quoted.
I'm not sure "acting" is the right word, but those practicing what Jesus taught are the righteous.  Are they "perfect"?  No...not even close, but they are a smidge closer than those who aren't practicing what Jesus taught.

Okay, so that eliminates Democrats. 
Oh, so I must be imagining the seemingly constant rhetoric about slashing welfare, assistance and other programs in favor of defense. Same with downplaying a pandemic that's killing thousands. That must be all my imagination.

Oh, so I must be imagining the seemingly constant rhetoric about slashing welfare, assistance and other programs in favor of defense. Same with downplaying a pandemic that's killing thousands. That must be all my imagination.
Yep.  "Slashing" things doesn't make something bad.

Yep.  "Slashing" things doesn't make something bad.
When it means people will have less opportunity to better themselves at the cost of more military equipment, it becomes bad. We have the best equipped military on the planet, nobody is going to mess with us on a large enough scale to where all of that stuff is going to be used.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

Users who are viewing this thread