What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why I will never recognize the name "Metta World Peace" (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
As everyone knows back in 2011, Ron Artest officially changed his name to Metta World Peace.  Here's my problem with that: Unless you're in the entertainment world, you don't change your name.  In music, Prince changed his name at one time to "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" and then he changed it to a symbol, and then back to his stage name of Prince.  You're not supposed to change your name in the world of sports.  It's like when Chad Johnson changed his name to Chad Ochocinco.  It's the same thing!  So to "The Player Formerly Known as Ron Artest," do yourself a favor and go back to your original name before it's too late!

Isn't professional sports entertainment?  Other than that, what is it?  
This is REAL professional sports, not Vince McMahon's WWE.  The NBA started back in 1946, while the NFL goes all the way back to 1920.  I'm just trying to keep the same of what's been done back in the old days to the way it should be now, and nothing should've been changed.  "Metta World Peace" sound like a name Vince McMahon would use for one of his employed wrestlers.  Why else do you think he's trying to bring back the XFL in the first place?  That was the worst idea in the history of professional sports.  Professional sports and Hollywood entertainment should be kept separate from each other.

This is REAL professional sports, not Vince McMahon's WWE.  The NBA started back in 1946, while the NFL goes all the way back to 1920.  I'm just trying to keep the same of what's been done back in the old days to the way it should be now, and nothing should've been changed.  "Metta World Peace" sound like a name Vince McMahon would use for one of his employed wrestlers.  Why else do you think he's trying to bring back the XFL in the first place?  That was the worst idea in the history of professional sports.  Professional sports and Hollywood entertainment should be kept separate from each other.
Okay. 

He's seriously trying to bring back the XFL? Hadn't heard that.  

As everyone knows back in 2011, Ron Artest officially changed his name to Metta World Peace.  Here's my problem with that: Unless you're in the entertainment world, you don't change your name.  In music, Prince changed his name at one time to "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" and then he changed it to a symbol, and then back to his stage name of Prince.  You're not supposed to change your name in the world of sports.  It's like when Chad Johnson changed his name to Chad Ochocinco.  It's the same thing!  So to "The Player Formerly Known as Ron Artest," do yourself a favor and go back to your original name before it's too late!

Prince was a stage name? :no:

He changed his name so he would be let back in the Palace. Now that it's closed, he can go back to Ron.

this is a bold take 15+ years in the making. 

oh wait, it's not 15+ years but it is just as current. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea it's like Bruce Jenner. Why'd he have to change his name? That dude was the man back in the day. Ridiculous.

You make some good points, but consider the saga of John Mellencamp. 

Born John Mellencamp

takes the name, "Johnny Cougar" - failure

Changes to "John Cougar" - finds initial success with "Hurts so Good"

Changes to "John Cougar-Mellencamp" - massive success - Pink Houses, Small Town, Lonely Old Night, etc.

Returns to John "Don't Call Me Cougar" Mellencamp - still successful, but tailing off ever since he dropped the Cougar

Irony...

Yogi Berra was born Lorenzo Pietro Berra in a primarily Italian neighborhood of St. Louis called "The Hill" to Italian immigrants Pietro and Paolina (née Longoni) Berra. Pietro was originally from Malvaglio near Milan in northern Italy; he arrived at Ellis Island on October 18, 1909 at the age of 23.[5][6] In a 2005 interview for the Baseball Hall of Fame, Berra said, "My father came over first. He came from the old country. And he didn't know what baseball was. He was ready to go to work. And then I had three other brothers and a sister. My brother and my mother came over later on. My two oldest brothers, they were born there—Mike and Tony. John and I and my sister Josie were born in St. Louis."[7]

Berra's parents originally gave him the nickname "Lawdie", which was derived from his mother's difficulty pronouncing "Lawrence" or "Larry" correctly. He grew up on Elizabeth Avenue, across the street from boyhood friend and later competitor Joe Garagiola. That block was also home to Jack Buck early in his Cardinals broadcasting career, and it was later renamed "Hall of Fame Place".[8] Berra was a Roman Catholic,[9] and he attended South Side Catholic, now called St. Mary's High School, in south St. Louis with Garagiola. Berra has been inducted into the St. Louis Walk of Fame.[10]

He began playing baseball in local American Legion leagues where he learned the basics of catching while playing outfield and infield positions, as well. He also played for a Cranston, Rhode Island team under an assumed name.[11] While playing in American Legion baseball, he received his famous nickname from his friend Jack Maguire, who, after seeing a newsreel about India,[12] said that he resembled a Hindu yogi whenever he sat around with arms and legs crossed waiting to bat or while looking sad after a losing game.[13]

Here's my problem with that: Unless you're in the entertainment world, you don't change your name.  
I bet it must be awful having to have gone through life named "yogibear".  Have you ever asked your mother why she did that to you?  Or are you part of the entertainment world?

Lew Alcindor changing his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is different than Ron Artest changing his name to Metta World Peace.  Some names you can tell sound like names wrestlers would use, and you can't.
Muhammad Ali?

When are the AA's going to figure out they are to be seen and not heard?
Weird take. Companies discipline or fire people all the time for words or actions that the companies think cause them publicity problems.

I probably shouldn't have said anything in this thread since there's already a thread for those arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread