What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Super Bowl LII Thread*** - Eagles vs Patriots (1 Viewer)

This is a VERY tough matchup for the Patriots. The multiple run/pass option plays that Pederson calls are the types of plays that eat up this Pats defense - It's essentially the formula that the Chiefs used on opening night to beat New England. Very similar personnel groupings and screen plays can give Patricia's D tons of problems. The Jags did a lot of this type of thing in the first half yesterday until the Patriots adjusted.

On the other side of the ball, that Eagles front 4 is scary good with lots of depth but I don't think their back 7 is as fast/talented as the Jags defense. I could see Brady picking apart that secondary if the line can buy him time to throw.

I think this is a FG game either way.

You just described the NE game plan for years. Let the other team make mistakes. I just posted a minute ago that in the playoffs, NE has gone 16-0 when winning the turnover battle. BB has figured out that opponents will make dumb mistakes whether it be in play calling, turnovers, penalties, clock management, coaching, etc. That's their thing.
Yeah I know.

One of these days it aint gonna work.

You can't rely on the opposing team's coach/players to always crap their pants. 

Full disclosure: I'm a pats fan.

This is a VERY tough matchup for the Patriots. The multiple run/pass option plays that Pederson calls are the types of plays that eat up this Pats defense - It's essentially the formula that the Chiefs used on opening night to beat New England. Very similar personnel groupings and screen plays can give Patricia's D tons of problems. The Jags did a lot of this type of thing in the first half yesterday until the Patriots adjusted.

On the other side of the ball, that Eagles front 4 is scary good with lots of depth but I don't think their back 7 is as fast/talented as the Jags defense. I could see Brady picking apart that secondary if the line can buy him time to throw.

I think this is a FG game either way.
They're not. They're weird.  They're bigger and can press.....but for a period their DC Schwartz was having them play off the line, making them VERY susceptible to slants...

Yeah I know.

One of these days it aint gonna work.

You can't rely on the opposing team's coach/players to always crap their pants. 

Full disclosure: I'm a pats fan.
I never can tell who posts in and who reads what threads, so forgive me if you saw this already. I posted something similar in the NE/JAX thread.

The common denominator in NE's post season losses has been familiarity.

2005 - Played DEN for 2nd time that season.
2006 - Played IND for 2nd time that season, 5th game in 3 years.
2007 - Faced NYG for 2nd time that season.
2009 - Went up against BAL for 2nd time that season.
2010 - Lost in 3rd match up against NYJ that year and 5th game in 2 years.
2011 - Faced NYG for 2nd time that season.
2012 - Got beat by BAL, 2nd match up that season (and 5th game in 4 years).
2013 - Lost in 2nd game against DEN that year, 4th game with Broncos in 3 seasons.
2015 - Lost in 2nd game that year against DEN, 7th game against Broncos in 5 years

A common denominator for NE's post season success has been unfamiliarity. NE has gone 15-0 in the post season against teams they have not faced in the regular season in the same season. They have only gone 12-9 in rematch games from earlier in the same year. They did not play the Eagles this year.

please do not feed the Football Jones
I'm the farthest thing from a troll. In fact, I'm only viewed as a troll by Eagles fans. Funny how that works, eh?

I have news for you, most Cowboys fans don't hate the Eagles. You're just a team in our division.

I found myself talking football in the Eagles thread earlier this season & I immediately found out there's no reasoning with you guys. The sensitivity is off the charts. Maybe it's the long history of not winning or maybe it’s simple jealousy towards teams that have had some success. I don’t know, but it’s rather offputting.

No too long ago I posted that I felt the Vikings were the team I’m most worried about long-term if they get a QB & with Cook coming back. I immediately got grief from some Eagles fans, LOL.

I’m actually rooting for you guys, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to voice my opinion. I posted where I thought there was a significant gap in talent & intangibles between you & the Pats. A lot of it is intangibles, but it got you guys fired back up even though it was unintentional. 

I’ve never seen a fan base so sensitive. Unbelievable. I don't want to lump all Eagles fans in that category, but quite a few post like they have an invisible chip on their shoulder. It's comical at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many Patriots would start on this Eagles team?

Let's see...

Offense:

Brady, Gronk, Cooks, probably Nate Solder at LT with Peters out.  So that's 4 of the 11. 

Defense:

McCourty and Gilmoure. 

So 6 Patriots on this team would break the starting 22 of the Eagles. And I'll throw in Gostkowski at kicker. 

While this may seem like a dig at the Patriots, it's more of a compliment to the talent of Brady and the genius of Belichick. Only 4 Pats would start on the Steelers. 
A compliment?  

How many Eagles would start for NE...if you want to play this game?  Blount...wait.  Long...wait. 

I never can tell who posts in and who reads what threads, so forgive me if you saw this already. I posted something similar in the NE/JAX thread.

The common denominator in NE's post season losses has been familiarity.

2005 - Played DEN for 2nd time that season.
2006 - Played IND for 2nd time that season, 5th game in 3 years.
2007 - Faced NYG for 2nd time that season.
2009 - Went up against BAL for 2nd time that season.
2010 - Lost in 3rd match up against NYJ that year and 5th game in 2 years.
2011 - Faced NYG for 2nd time that season.
2012 - Got beat by BAL, 2nd match up that season (and 5th game in 4 years).
2013 - Lost in 2nd game against DEN that year, 4th game with Broncos in 3 seasons.
2015 - Lost in 2nd game that year against DEN, 7th game against Broncos in 5 years

A common denominator for NE's post season success has been unfamiliarity. NE has gone 15-0 in the post season against teams they have not faced in the regular season in the same season. They have only gone 12-9 in rematch games from earlier in the same year. They did not play the Eagles this year.
Interesting.

NE is also familiar with their RBs -- Blount and Ajayi.

I fully expect NE to bottle up the running game. It's going to be on Foles.

I'm not getting this talent discrepancy at all.

Sure...Phillys missing their starting LB, their starting Pro Bowl LT their starting Pro Bowl QB, their Pro Bowl ST player and their future HoF Change of Pace RB/PT...but even with that....Philly has depth.  
If Hoyer was the starting QB what would the spread be? There’s your only discrepancy.

What were your thoughts on the Minnesota game?
If you remember, I said home field advantage was key. One game, one time, at home, you had a chance. 

The Vikings crapped the bed & you took advantage of it. Foles played much better, as well.

The Pats are a different animal. I think the line might even be a little low (is it at 6?).

That said, the game is played by humans & anything can happen. I'd play the underdog card like you've been doing & hope for the best.

You're outgunned, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a loss if you can get some big breaks.

I'm the farthest thing from a troll. In fact, I'm only viewed as a troll by Eagles fans. Funny how that works, eh?

I have news for you, most Cowboys fans don't hate the Eagles. You're just a team in our division.

I found myself talking football in the Eagles thread earlier this season & I immediately found out there's no reasoning with you guys. The sensitivity is off the charts. Maybe it's the long history of not winning or maybe it’s simple jealousy towards teams that have had some success. I don’t know, but it’s rather offputting.

No too long ago I posted that I felt the Vikings were the team I’m most worried about long-term if they get a QB & with Cook coming back. I immediately got grief from some Eagles fans, LOL.

I’m actually rooting for you guys, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to voice my opinion. I posted where I thought there was a significant gap in talent & intangibles between you & the Pats. A lot of it is intangibles, but it got you guys fired back up even though it was unintentional. 

I’ve never seen a fan base so sensitive. Unbelievable. I don't want to lump all Eagles fans in that category, but quite a few post like they have an invisible chip on their shoulder. It's comical at times.
Do yourself a favor. Go look up @bankerguy. He's a huge Cowboys fan. He has popped into Eagles team threads and game threads countless times over the years. He would argue your claim that we act jealous or are overly sensitive. He is an intelligent guy who doesn't attempt to troll and is looking for actual football discussion. And he always gets it. He's welcome  into every Eagles thread and never causes or gets into arguments. There are plenty of others from other teams' fanbases as well. I mention him because you guys share a favorite team. 

I won't get into your approach, nor your obvious lack of football knowledge. But do yourself a favor. Check out the guy's posts and learn something. Maybe people will stop thinking you're a clueless troll. 

If you remember, I said home field advantage was key. One game, one time, at home, you had a chance. 

The Vikings crapped the bed & you took advantage of it. Foles played much better, as well.

The Pats are a different animal. I think the line might even be a little low (is it at 6?).

That said, the game is played by humans & anything can happen. I'd play the underdog card like you've been doing & hope for the best.

You're outgunned, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a loss if you can get some big breaks.
Vikes crap the bed or were their doors blown off?

I'm not getting this talent discrepancy at all.

Sure...Phillys missing their starting LB, their starting Pro Bowl LT their starting Pro Bowl QB, their Pro Bowl ST player and their future HoF Change of Pace RB/PT...but even with that....Philly has depth.  
Some interesting overlap of injuries. 

Both team's missing starting LB's.
Both teams missing Pro Bowl OT's.
Both teams missing their best punt returners (in NE's case their top WR).

Certainly Wentz is the biggest lost out of all of them and NE doesn't have a loss anywhere near that big.

There's a huge advantage to other teams and players watching you come from behind and win so many big the games over the years. The young Defenders on team like Jacksonville have seen this since they were kids. When you have a 10 point lead against them and they have a long drive and Brady throws a touchdown pass, that is so psychologically intimidating to teams. They win a lot just on Mystique alone. Team start playing on their heels. Playing not to lose instead of to win. They are completely psyched out by the Patriots. The Pats automatically have that going into every big game they play. And although this Eagles team is Young and fun and are really playing with house money at this point, they are not exempt of this human emotion. I'm just hoping it doesn't come down to that
like tiger in his prime.  the best golfers in the world would fall apart under the pressure

IMO, the line is too high. How many SB's has NE been in? How many of them have they won by 7 or more? Compared to their other 7 trips to the SB, where does this version of NE stack up? NE will be lucky to win this game.

Both teams fully healthy, I think there's a significant gap in talent & intangibles in the Pats' favor. This game could get ugly.

I generally root NFC & it's no different in this Super Bowl. That said, at this point, I'm just hoping for an enjoyable game. 

I'm afraid this could be a blowout if Philly has trouble on offense. They're likely going to have to catch some breaks to keep it close.
If you are not a troll, Please go into detail about how the Pats have a signicant gap in talent over the Eagles in 2017 with both teams fully healthy. I will give you intangibles as the Patriots with Belicheck and Brady have a great history which gives them a confidence that they can win any game, no matter the score or situation.

But talent? I am all ears. Enlighten me with your totally objective acumen.

Do yourself a favor. Go look up @bankerguy. He's a huge Cowboys fan. He has popped into Eagles team threads and game threads countless times over the years. He would argue your claim that we act jealous or are overly sensitive. He is an intelligent guy who doesn't attempt to troll and is looking for actual football discussion. And he always gets it. He's welcome  into every Eagles thread and never causes or gets into arguments. There are plenty of others from other teams' fanbases as well. I mention him because you guys share a favorite team. 

I won't get into your approach, nor your obvious lack of football knowledge. But do yourself a favor. Check out the guy's posts and learn something. Maybe people will stop thinking you're a clueless troll. 
I tried the reasonable approach. In fact, I'm surprised I had trouble talking football with you guys because I've found most Eagles fans to be very knowledgable. The problem is the sensitivity. 

I don't get it. There are a lot of obnoxious fans from every team, including my Cowboys, but you guys take the cake. 

You're passionate, which I can very much appreciate, but like I said in my previous post, the invisible chip on your shoulder is the problem.

I'm wondering if an NFCE rival was playing in the SB, instead of us, would I spend this much time trolling.....

The lack of a life is strong in some of these dudes.

This was addressed in the BB press conference after the game.   The option play to Grant was a wrinkle in the offense for this game & something the Pats weren’t ready for.   The guy had 4 targets all year with 3 catches for 41 yds.   He went 3 for 59 yesterday.  BB mentions something about that wasn’t something they showed on film (?) or a formation they didn’t run a lot during the season.  In hoodie speak this is the equivalent of “that shocked the hell out of us and we never saw it coming.”

I think the take away for the Eagles is that they need to show looks that they haven’t shown all season.  You need wrinkles to catch NE on things they haven’t game planned for because if it’s out there the Pats coaching staff is going to cover it during the game preparation and they are going to take away your best option. 

In the NE/Jax thread someone mentioned that game would be determined by Jax’s ability to adjust to the adjustments NE made at half time.  I see a lot ppl saying Jax played not to lose but maybe NE made adjustments to correct the issues and Jax didn’t have an answer.  The stuff that was working suddenly wasn’t.  

I do think that Foles getting more comfortable with the offense and the relative lack of game tape on Foles (this year) help the Eagles in this regards.  They have the ability to add things in that they may have been working on.  

The question is what will the Eagles coaches do in the first half to surprise NE and how will they adjust after NE changes things.  

I tried the reasonable approach. In fact, I'm surprised I had trouble talking football with you guys because I've found most Eagles fans to be very knowledgable. The problem is the sensitivity. 

I don't get it. There are a lot of obnoxious fans from every team, including my Cowboys, but you guys take the cake. 

You're passionate, which I can very much appreciate, but like I said in my previous post, the invisible chip on your shoulder is the problem.
Thanks Trollio.  We'll work on our sensitivity if you work on your knowledge,.

IMO, the line is too high. How many SB's has NE been in? How many of them have they won by 7 or more? Compared to their other 7 trips to the SB, where does this version of NE stack up? NE will be lucky to win this game.
Exactly.  If history is any kind of indicator, take the points.

I guess the discrepancy in the QB position would be why the spread is so high, but if Foles throws the ball like he did Sunday, Eagles have a great shot.

3rd best offense in points scored, 4th best defense in points allowed.  #1 in SRS.  Made the Super Bowl by putting up 38 points on the #1 defense despite losing the MVP-caliber QB a month prior.  What exactly are they the "worst" at?
They just don't pass the eye test.  

This is the worst Patriots team that has made the Superbowl.  The AFC was garbage this year and the Superbowl is going to reinforce that

I think you're due for an eye exam.
Perhaps he only watched the Raiders and Cowboy's games. When it was 10 degrees out and Foles was still getting used to playing with the first unit. I'll agree that they didn't pass the eye test in those two weeks. And he certainly didn't watch yesterday's shellacking of the number one defense in football. 

This was addressed in the BB press conference after the game.   The option play to Grant was a wrinkle in the offense for this game & something the Pats weren’t ready for.   The guy had 4 targets all year with 3 catches for 41 yds.   He went 3 for 59 yesterday.  BB mentions something about that wasn’t something they showed on film (?) or a formation they didn’t run a lot during the season.  In hoodie speak this is the equivalent of “that shocked the hell out of us and we never saw it coming.”

I think the take away for the Eagles is that they need to show looks that they haven’t shown all season.  You need wrinkles to catch NE on things they haven’t game planned for because if it’s out there the Pats coaching staff is going to cover it during the game preparation and they are going to take away your best option. 

In the NE/Jax thread someone mentioned that game would be determined by Jax’s ability to adjust to the adjustments NE made at half time.  I see a lot ppl saying Jax played not to lose but maybe NE made adjustments to correct the issues and Jax didn’t have an answer.  The stuff that was working suddenly wasn’t.  

I do think that Foles getting more comfortable with the offense and the relative lack of game tape on Foles (this year) help the Eagles in this regards.  They have the ability to add things in that they may have been working on.  

The question is what will the Eagles coaches do in the first half to surprise NE and how will they adjust after NE changes things.  
To be fair.....PHI does an excellent job at changing at halftime, if needed.  

I honestly may not watch this year.  I've watched every Super Bowl since 1978, but I think this may be the year I do something else and maybe tune in for the fourth quarter if the game is close.  Otherwise I may not watch a minute.  I just don't know if I want to watch 4 hours of a Tom Brady jerk-a-thon with 3 hours of bad commercials and Justin Timberlake to punctuate things.

In before "Well............ bye............"

I honestly may not watch this year.  I've watched every Super Bowl since 1978, but I think this may be the year I do something else and maybe tune in for the fourth quarter if the game is close.  Otherwise I may not watch a minute.  I just don't know if I want to watch 4 hours of a Tom Brady jerk-a-thon with 3 hours of bad commercials and Justin Timberlake to punctuate things.

Evilgrin.  Wait.

Evilgrin 72......wait. 

Forgot to mention the 25 minutes of frame-by-frame replay reviews to determine if a ball moved a half an inch before the player hit the ground, had two feet in bounds, rolled over, stood up, and gave the ball to the correct referee.

Forgot to mention the 25 minutes of frame-by-frame replay reviews to determine if a ball moved a half an inch before the player hit the ground, had two feet in bounds, rolled over, stood up, and gave the ball to the correct referee.
well said.  its gotten to the point of madness.  the road to hell paved with good intentions and all that....

well said.  its gotten to the point of madness.  the road to hell paved with good intentions and all that....
Yep.  There's "getting it right" and then there's "leeching every last drop of spontaneity and excitement out of the game."  I find myself being turned off to the NFL more and more - the games take frigging forever and you can't celebrate anything.  First you're looking for the flag, then if there's no flag, you have to hope the side of the guy's shoe didn't scrape the sideline, that the ball didn't move a millimeter when he hit the ground, etc etc.  A big play should be exciting, not 5 minutes of holding your breath to make sure it survives the intense vetting process.

The Super Bowl long ago became a game for house wives, teenie boppers, and corporate ####s who want to be seen.  Football has allowed its championship game to be coopted by folks who hate football the rest of the year and who have contempt for us fans. It is now about commercials, halftime shows, and the wives and girlfriends of the players.  The network will spend more time broadcasting what individual players wear to the stadium than  their performance and health in the week of practice leading up to the game. The sponsors will insist that the players appear for vapid press events that will prevent practice and rehab during the second week leading up to the game. Makes me sick.

They should hold the game in places where Paris Hilton and the Kardashians will not go, places like Green Bay, Philly, or Buffalo.  Ticket sales should go 40% each to the season ticket holders or individual game ticket holders of each participating team .  The remaining 20% should be sold no more than 2 at a time and to persons who have to pass a football knowledge test before purchasing.  Security should not be allowed at the doors to suites.  The glitterati should be apprehensive to appear.  They should have to move through the crowds like a real fan or not show up. If they can't defend their suite they should not be there.

Sideline reporters should be subject to "Office Linebacker" treatment if they approach any coach during the game, and especially right before or after halftime.  Halftime should be the same length as it is now and should involve nothing more elaborate than Frisbee catching dogs and dance routines by an all star squad of cheerleaders voted on by the most misogynistic fans around. Gene Steratore should ref the game.  The ground should be allowed to cause a fumble, hold the ball on catches or runs until the carriers body stops progressing.  coaches should be allowed 3 challenges, but if they lose one they should be ejected from the game.  Owners should not be videoed.  If they get a suite it must have one way glass.  They, the owners, should not be allowed on the sideline before the game is over, and if they do go down the opposing coach ought to be able to demand they take the field for one play.  

Yep.  There's "getting it right" and then there's "leeching every last drop of spontaneity and excitement out of the game."  I find myself being turned off to the NFL more and more - the games take frigging forever and you can't celebrate anything.  First you're looking for the flag, then if there's no flag, you have to hope the side of the guy's shoe didn't scrape the sideline, that the ball didn't move a millimeter when he hit the ground, etc etc.  A big play should be exciting, not 5 minutes of holding your breath to make sure it survives the intense vetting process.
I commented to my son yesterday that it's to the point where even the play by play now includes "...and no flags!" in the calls.  Definitely takes away from the excitement of the moment.

This is so awesome, a month ago even Eagle fans were wondering about Foles after he torched the Giants (like everyone did) then looked awful against the Raiders at home, and bad against the Cowboys in the 2 or 3 series that he played in that game. I don't think the Eagles were as bad as they looked against the Raiders or as great as the looked against the Vikings. They are some where in the middle of that, they can beat the Patriots, but they are rightfully underdogs and going to have to play at worst their B + game to beat the Patriots unless the Patriots decide they are the 2017 Vikings.

This is the worst Patriots team that has made the Superbowl.  The AFC was garbage this year and the Superbowl is going to reinforce that
No it isn't, the 01 Pats weren't as good as this team and the 11 Pats?, I forget which was the 2nd time they played the Giants wasn't as good as this team either.

I commented to my son yesterday that it's to the point where even the play by play now includes "...and no flags!" in the calls.  Definitely takes away from the excitement of the moment.
Haven't seen this mentioned but the minimal amount of flags last night was noticed by all of us watching at the bar.  And appreciated.
Last night's game was definitely great in terms of flags.  I'm referring to the NFL in general.  I think there was one other Eagles game where there were minimal flags and it was noticed and appreciated as well.

No it isn't, the 01 Pats weren't as good as this team and the 11 Pats?, I forget which was the 2nd time they played the Giants wasn't as good as this team either.
I have wondered a bit this year.  Early they seemed to have some defensive confusion, though Patricia apparently fixed that.  Lately, Brady has been getting up slower than he did in the past.  Still, for Super Bowls experience and football I.Q. count*

*Setting up a riff here about Blount and Ajayi more or less preventing a Philly win..

Users who are viewing this thread