What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dream Trip of a Lifetime in America (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm going to ask everyone one simple question: If you go to any particular museum or landmark in America, where would it be?

I know what my dream trip is going to be: The plans are already in the making with my girlfriend and I going to Cleveland and see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cedar Point, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame all at the same time.  From there, it's on to Boston to make the drive of less than 100 miles to see the Basketball Hall of Fame, and then back home to St. Louis.  But I want to wait until all 100 names from the DVD NFL Top 100: Greatest Players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame first.  So far, 94 are in, 5 are waiting to get in, and 1 (Tom Brady) is still actively playing.  Now, if Ray Lewis and Randy Moss get in, that'll bring the total to 96.  Who knows when Tom Brady is going to retire?  But, this trip definitely be worth the wait!

Based on your forum name, I was expecting to see Jellystone Park on the list. 

ETA: Well, duh...you LIVE in Jellystone. Of course you'd want to see other places.  I'm an idiot. Sorry. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's with my wife I think it would be in the Florida Keys.  If I'm going with some friends then somewhere like Texas, Louisiana or Alabama to do some trophy bass fishing.

Hands down, Hwy 101/1 top to bottom, or vice versa.. The Olympic range, fog-shrouded Cape Disappointment (terminus of the Lewis/Clark journey), Bandon, the Irishness of Bodega Bay, Muir Woods, perhaps our nation's greatest city, Monterrey, Sur, St Barbara, LA, San Diego. Hell, take the 1 all the way down to Cabo if you want. Even without sidetrips to SeaTac, Portland, Shasta, my li'l jewel, Yosemite, Joshua Tree etc  it's a soulifying thing.

Following even the remains of one great American highway is a blast. Drove what was left of Rte 50 from Jersey to Oregon on purpose once. Took our time, too. Chatting up the citizens along the way and feeling the noise & quiet of America was a pure deelite.

I'm going to ask everyone one simple question: If you go to any particular museum or landmark in America, where would it be?

I know what my dream trip is going to be: The plans are already in the making with my girlfriend and I going to Cleveland and see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cedar Point, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame all at the same time.  From there, it's on to Boston to make the drive of less than 100 miles to see the Basketball Hall of Fame, and then back home to St. Louis.  But I want to wait until all 100 names from the DVD NFL Top 100: Greatest Players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame first.  So far, 94 are in, 5 are waiting to get in, and 1 (Tom Brady) is still actively playing.  Now, if Ray Lewis and Randy Moss get in, that'll bring the total to 96.  Who knows when Tom Brady is going to retire?  But, this trip definitely be worth the wait!
You're in St. Louis so you already have the Bowling Hall of Fame.  What more could you want, Hall-of-famewise?

When I was a kid, we did a huge road trip in our RV. I saw tons of sites- everything from Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Bryce, Custer's Last Stand, Rushmore, and tons more from the West/Midwest. I have not really thought about this but if I was putting together one huge lifetime trip it would prob have some train travel in it and then driving. Off the top of my head...

Driving- maybe PCH and then ole' Route 66. I have done the PCH by car before so maybe that would be a good spot to do the train. Saw a great train small trip up in Napa so could add that on.

I am a history nerd and on top of that if I was doing this kind of trip it would be with the kids so places of historical/educational value would be important. East coast is good for the Revolutionary/Civil War sites, DC/Philly would be good. Head south for Norfolk area with the settlement stuff they have. Keep going south for the beaches in Florida. Tons of places comes to mind as I think of the areas.

I am cool with Rock n Roll, NFL hall of fame but those are stops on a much bigger trip to me if we are talking "lifetime"

wikkidpissah said:
Hands down, Hwy 101/1 top to bottom.. the Olympics, fog-shrouded Cape Disappointment (end of the Lewis/Clark journey), Bandon, the Irishness of Bodega Bay, Muir Woods, perhaps our nation's greatest city, Sur, St Barbara, LA, San Diego. Hell, take the 1 all the way down to Cabo if you want. Even without sidetrips to Shasta, Yosemite, Joshua Tree,etc  it's a soulifying thing.

Following even the remains of one great American highway is a blast. Drove what was left of Rte 50 from Jersey to Oregon.Took our time, too. Chatting up the folks across America was a pure deelite.
And you can probably have great craft beer every night any city you stop

When I first read the title of the post i thought it was going to be a trip to a super bowl that went to double over time and both teams scored at least 24 points. 

otb_lifer said:
i thought The Birds wiped 'em out  :shrug:
Drive Bay Hill Rd (or Google Earth it) from the 1 down to the sea and you'd swear you were in County Sligo. Even the road is narrow as an Irish lane. The birds in both places wear too much flannel for my tastes, tho....

@shuke Reality Tour

We’d start by visiting the place where it all started - no, not shuke parents bedroom you sickos but the hospital! Next we would head to the baseball field where little shuke fielded ground balls and spit sunflower seeds. From there it is on to college to check out all the coeds- like the ones shuke used to bang.  After that we’d stop off at Skyline for some chili.  Finally we’d take in a Red’s game with the man himself - head to a bar afterwards and do shot videos for the FFA.

I’d pay top dollar for this! 

Are you aware that many of those athletes honored in the Foorball Hall used steroids? And in the Rock Hall of Fame, most of them used a very wide array of performance enhancing drugs. I don't think it's even really time to talk about this yet. 

Yogibear said:

aim higher.

Yogibear said:

The best part of you waiting until Brady gets in, is that the pro football HOF is undergoing significant expansion. They're turning the entire area around it into a HOF "village" with tons of attractions and things to do. It should be pretty awesome when they're finished up. Which is great since pretty much everything else around it sucks, with the exception of a really really cool antique car museum in downtown Canton that nobody seems to know about (which is a real shame).

If anyone ever heads to the Football HOF, I highly recommend a stop at the Canton Classic Car Museum.

ETA: Actually, the MAPS Air Museum is nearby and really cool as well. They have quite a few older military aircraft, missiles, equipment, etc.

And right around the corner from MAPS is Fannie May Chocolates where you can get a free tour of their chocolate factory (Willy Wonka not included).

wikkidpissah said:
Hands down, Hwy 101/1 top to bottom.. the Olympics, fog-shrouded Cape Disappointment (end of the Lewis/Clark journey), Bandon, the Irishness of Bodega Bay, Muir Woods, perhaps our nation's greatest city, Sur, St Barbara, LA, San Diego. Hell, take the 1 all the way down to Cabo if you want. Even without sidetrips to Shasta, Yosemite, Joshua Tree,etc  it's a soulifying thing.
This is probably mine with a diversion to Disney Land included.  Hopefully we go before my kids grow up.

Interesting question. Would probably pick someplace Ive never been before and may not otherwise visit. Id say the high plains of Wyoming and Montana. Mountain and terrain and nature galore - Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Rocky Mountains, Big Sky. 

As a kid, when I finished 8th grade, my dad and I went to 8 MLB games in 2 weeks.  This was long before the internet made planning something like that super easy (thanks http://baseball-roadtrip.com/).

This past summer, my 8th grade (now freshman) son and I had a fantastic, (mostly) military museum trip...  flew to Atlanta, saw the Coca Cola Museum and the Aquarium, drove to Columbus, GA to see the National Infantry Museum, drove to Fort Rucker, AL to see the Army Aviation museum, then to Pensacola, FL to see the Naval Aviation museum, onto Mobile for the USS Alabama and the Mardi Gras museum, to Biloxi, MS to Jefferson Davis' house, and finally to New Orleans for the WW II museum and a Confederate Civil War museum.   Fantastic trip - I was shocked by how much I like the museums, especially the National Infantry Museum.

Excellent call.

Although supporting @SFBayDuck during his successful run of the Western States 100 mile race last June (starting in Squaw Valley) and then bopping around northern California for a few days after that was mighty special.  
A hell of a trip those 100 miles were!

For me, any long trail would be amazing - AT, PCT, Colorado, John Muir.  Only one likely to happen is the Tahoe Rim Trail, I'll try to knock that out in the next few years.

Other than that, top of my list (all outdoors focused):

• I spent 8 days there in 2016, but a return trip to the San Juans Mountains of SW Colorado, running and hiking and camping and fishing
  • Boat tour of the San Juan Islands of the Pacific Northwest
  • Head back to AK.  Spent 11 days there as a 13 year old on a river trip, then 2 summers working fisheries during college.  Would love to spend a couple of months exploring that state, so much to see.
With my lady, who's more of a college football fan than I am, would be hitting as many college stadiums as possible.  I have an aunt and uncle that are at about 28 of the NFL stadiums, I'd like to do something similar for college and hit as many classics as possible.

The best part of you waiting until Brady gets in, is that the pro football HOF is undergoing significant expansion. They're turning the entire area around it into a HOF "village" with tons of attractions and things to do. It should be pretty awesome when they're finished up. Which is great since pretty much everything else around it sucks, with the exception of a really really cool antique car museum in downtown Canton that nobody seems to know about (which is a real shame).

If anyone ever heads to the Football HOF, I highly recommend a stop at the Canton Classic Car Museum.

ETA: Actually, the MAPS Air Museum is nearby and really cool as well. They have quite a few older military aircraft, missiles, equipment, etc.

And right around the corner from MAPS is Fannie May Chocolates where you can get a free tour of their chocolate factory (Willy Wonka not included).
Guessing you are from around there... is the McKinley stuff worth checking out?  I always figured if I went to the HOF, I'd combine it with some Presidential tourism.

Guessing you are from around there... is the McKinley stuff worth checking out?  I always figured if I went to the HOF, I'd combine it with some Presidential tourism.
It's probably worth checking out the monument at least. The museum doesn't really have a ton of presidential stuff. Probably enough for real buffs, but the museum has more stuff that is related to the Canton area in other ways than it does McKinley stuff IMO.

If you're into history/politics though, the national First Ladies Museum is actually in Canton as well.

It's probably worth checking out the monument at least. The museum doesn't really have a ton of presidential stuff. Probably enough for real buffs, but the museum has more stuff that is related to the Canton area in other ways than it does McKinley stuff IMO.

If you're into history/politics though, the national First Ladies Museum is actually in Canton as well.
Thanks, appreciate the insight.  First Ladies Museum could be cool.  I'm a bit of a buff (currently reading through biographies of Presidents in consecutive order--on Hayes now).  I've never been to that part of Ohio -- someday I'd like to drive around Ohio and see all of the ones there.

Thanks, appreciate the insight.  First Ladies Museum could be cool.  I'm a bit of a buff (currently reading through biographies of Presidents in consecutive order--on Hayes now).  I've never been to that part of Ohio -- someday I'd like to drive around Ohio and see all of the ones there.
You got the James Garfield stuff an hour or so to the north... birth site, historic site/park, and burial monument.  Best of the three is the monument in Lake View Cemetary, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread