Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Football Jones

***2018 Dallas Cowboys***

Recommended Posts

I thought this would be a good time to start this thread before the Super Bowl while most people are still hanging around.

I look forward to some good Cowboys discussion about what we need, who should go, & all the other stuff.

I also ask that you be respectable to other team's fans who post in here & any opinions they may have. I urge you to ignore the trolls. Please don't respond. It's the best way to deal with them.

 

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas has a young defense that looks to get better (assuming Lee stays healthy) and has a lot of talent on offense. The problem is they have 2 things in their way that they don't seem to have the stones to get rid of: Garrett and Bryant. Until they are gone, I don't see the Cowboys going far in the playoffs, if they get there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Id like them to get rid of Dez this offseason. Won't happen, but I can hope

Stephen Jones looks like he could play the bad guy & head the charge to cut Dez. He semi-hinted at it on a podcast.

Jerry has listened to Stephen in the past so it's possible he gets in his ear.

 

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I'm hoping they draft OL and a speedy WR with hands. Also need a younger, (quicker) change of pace back. 

Wishful thinking: Fire Garrett and bring in Jim Harbaugh. 

I hope they go WR early & also sign one in FA.

I think it's our biggest immediate need (upgrading WR). Gathers has the potential to be a stud so we're ok at TE, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard was a fantastic hire. The Seahawks made a mistake by dumping him & we benefited. Their D was ravaged by injury & I guess Richard was the fall guy. I'll take it.

Retaining Will McClay may have been the best thing we've done so far, though. McClay is a draft guru & an important liason between scouts & JJ.

Teams have taken notice. The Texans were one of several teams looking to steal him. McClay wasn’t named GM, but got compensated as one.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to go out on a limb & say they restructure Dez at minimum.

A big reduction in salary & a move to the slot would be ok with me. If he doesn’t go for it, the hammer comes down.

I think Stephen & Will McClay can get in Jerry’s ear. They did it when Jerry wanted to take Manziel (we took Zack Martin instead).

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I'm hoping they draft OL and a speedy WR with hands. Also need a younger, (quicker) change of pace back. 

Wishful thinking: Fire Garrett and bring in Jim Harbaugh. 

Dallas had a fast wr, Butler. They just didn't use him

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Dallas had a fast wr, Butler. They just didn't use him

Yeah, Butler should’ve been starting over Williams, IMO. In fact, I’m hoping they resign him to a reasonable deal.

We still need to draft a WR & sign the best WR they can afford in FA, though. Butler wants to start so if they do resign him, Dez will likely be cut. Probably can’t have both even with Dez restructuring (which is fine with me).

I like Butler as our #2. At least for now. The key is to find our next stud WR in the draft or FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can win this divsion next year if we make smart moves.

We're stuck with Garrett for another year, but while he's not an asset, he stays out of the way & let's the talent & our scouting department do the talking.

I'll take it for now. Really looking forward to what we do this offseason. Key few months coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Football Jones said:

We can win this divsion next year if we make smart moves.

We're stuck with Garrett for another year, but while he's not an asset, he stays out of the way & let's the talent & our scouting department do the talking.

I'll take it for now. Really looking forward to what we do this offseason. Key few months coming up.

Garrett is part of the problem. We’ll never win a Championship with him in charge. The GB lost last year is as close as we’ll ever get with him.

Tex

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on the team (Apologies-long)

It can be summed up by saying. Love the players, hate the top 3 coaches, mind set and schemes.

Offense:

Biggest problem with this group is not talent, it’s scheme.  I won’t even go into my problems with Garrett/Linehan other than to say,  I am not a believer in the system, ability to game plan, out-scheme or make any meaningful midgame adjustments.  It’s infuriating to watch sometimes especially with the talent we are pissing away.

Dak.  Obviously a small step backwards.  Some of the reactions I have seen about him are laughable though.  He had a dream season last year.  I am certainly willing to give him more time to develop.

Zeke.  He needs to have a great offseason and need to come into camp in the best shape of his life and pissed off.

RB – I like the depth here with Morris and Smith who were both strong.

Retain Cooper.  Was solid to quite good at times.

Dez.  Make him take the pay cut or he can WALK. He hasn’t been a difference maker relative to his cap hit. That money can be much better allocated.

Witten.  Love him. Wish he would retire though.  TE is a potential draft need.  Will be interesting to see what (If anything) we have in Gathers.

T Will- I love his blocking, but I think’s it time to move on.  Body catcher and lacks top end and separation abilities.

Beasley.  We all could see that defenses adjusted this year.  They bracketed him ALL year and the numbers show it.  We need to compliment him with outside speed and be able to hit deep plays.  This is the single biggest offensive deficiency.  A top WR is a definite draft need imo.

Tyron.  I am VERY concerned about his back at his age already having seemingly chronic issues is NOT a good sign.  A stronger swing OT is also a current need.

O-line. It’s a strength. No worries.  Fred and Martin are amazing. Martine should get a contract this offseason.  I was also impressed with Collins at RT.  He is still young and plays with a little nasty streak that I want in all of our linemen, but especially OT’s.

Defense:  

What’s not to like aside from the coordinator?  Great hire with Richard – hopefully future DC.  It’s a young group that flies around and is getting better. Hey, even a couple of picks this year.  Overall this group is developing great depth on the Line and getting there in the Secondary too.  We need depth at LB – we all know it.

Lee.  Heart and soul of our team. Literally a coach on the field.  IF he could only stay healthy every game.  A legit game changer.

Taco. Again our fan base made me sick this year with calling him a bust after 2 games.  He has a build that will allow him to bulk up and I thought as the year went on, got better and better.

Gregory- Cut this fool.

Lawrence- Fully admit I was wrong about him. Hated the pick at the time.  Should be kept and extended. A force off the edge and improved vs. the run too.

Irvin- Looks like a 2nd round tender is in order here.  I like that he can play DE or 3tech.  He is a risk with injuries and a puff away from a long suspension.  Keep, but cautiously.

Crawford.  Overpaid. Decent contributor when healthy.  I like him for depth.

J Smith.  Overcame a terrible injury.  Was obvious he struggled early on, but again I saw positive steps and improvement.  High character player who will get better.

Scandrick. I think the writing is on the wall. He is likely not coming back.  Saw him in an interview with Skip and I do not expect him back.

Lewis/Awuzie – For rookie CB’s I thought they were outstanding. 

Brown- Regressed this year and was a target by opposing teams.  Still think he is decent and a good depth player.

B Jones-  Can someone please get me Jerry’s cell.  This guy is NOT a bloody safety. He is not a willing tackler and not good in space.  He is very strong in press and tighter coverage assignments.  He did a nice a job vs. TE’s.  This guy is a freaking Corner. We have 1 year left on his deal to try him there. I would let him take the slot after Scandrick goes.  I think he would thrive here. He was my most frustrating player to watch last year.

Heath- Serviceable, the old whipping boy not playing too bad at SS.  We need a FS – come on down Earl Thomas. 

1 tech.  Bottom line is we need one, a big fat run stopper who holds the line and let’s our LB’s fly into gaps.

ST’s

Bailey. I am giving a pass here. Will chalk up the end of year to the groin injury.

Jones.  Outstanding play from our punter. Seriously.

Return game – Switzer busted 1, but I think he is average.

Coverage – Was solid. No concerns other then we lost Bassacia to Oakland

Draft/Free Agency Needs:

WR – Gotta have one.  No knuckle heads. Someone who can stretch the field and can run the entire route tree.  Draft round 1 or 2.  I would also target one of the FA’s – big group and decent talent.  Should be a buyer’s market.

FS – I believe we need veteran back there to be the leader.  Earl Thomas just makes way too much sense. I pray we take a run at him.  If we miss, I still believe it needs to be addressed through FA.

LB – Draft at least one.

1 tech – This is a must

CB – Can’t have too many. With Brown struggling some and the uncertain future of Byron Jones, I would absolutely draft one in the top 3 rounds.

OT – Tyron’s back has to give us all pause and I have not been able to get that that Atlanta game out of mind to this date.  OT is an absolute need.

We have a ton of picks, would not minds seeing some packing of mid round picks to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Do NOT trade up in the first!!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bankerguy said:

My thoughts on the team (Apologies-long)

It can be summed up by saying. Love the players, hate the top 3 coaches, mind set and schemes.

Offense:

Biggest problem with this group is not talent, it’s scheme.  I won’t even go into my problems with Garrett/Linehan other than to say,  I am not a believer in the system, ability to game plan, out-scheme or make any meaningful midgame adjustments.  It’s infuriating to watch sometimes especially with the talent we are pissing away.

Dak.  Obviously a small step backwards.  Some of the reactions I have seen about him are laughable though.  He had a dream season last year.  I am certainly willing to give him more time to develop.

Zeke.  He needs to have a great offseason and need to come into camp in the best shape of his life and pissed off.

RB – I like the depth here with Morris and Smith who were both strong.

Retain Cooper.  Was solid to quite good at times.

Dez.  Make him take the pay cut or he can WALK. He hasn’t been a difference maker relative to his cap hit. That money can be much better allocated.

Witten.  Love him. Wish he would retire though.  TE is a potential draft need.  Will be interesting to see what (If anything) we have in Gathers.

T Will- I love his blocking, but I think’s it time to move on.  Body catcher and lacks top end and separation abilities.

Beasley.  We all could see that defenses adjusted this year.  They bracketed him ALL year and the numbers show it.  We need to compliment him with outside speed and be able to hit deep plays.  This is the single biggest offensive deficiency.  A top WR is a definite draft need imo.

Tyron.  I am VERY concerned about his back at his age already having seemingly chronic issues is NOT a good sign.  A stronger swing OT is also a current need.

O-line. It’s a strength. No worries.  Fred and Martin are amazing. Martine should get a contract this offseason.  I was also impressed with Collins at RT.  He is still young and plays with a little nasty streak that I want in all of our linemen, but especially OT’s.

Defense:  

What’s not to like aside from the coordinator?  Great hire with Richard – hopefully future DC.  It’s a young group that flies around and is getting better. Hey, even a couple of picks this year.  Overall this group is developing great depth on the Line and getting there in the Secondary too.  We need depth at LB – we all know it.

Lee.  Heart and soul of our team. Literally a coach on the field.  IF he could only stay healthy every game.  A legit game changer.

Taco. Again our fan base made me sick this year with calling him a bust after 2 games.  He has a build that will allow him to bulk up and I thought as the year went on, got better and better.

Gregory- Cut this fool.

Lawrence- Fully admit I was wrong about him. Hated the pick at the time.  Should be kept and extended. A force off the edge and improved vs. the run too.

Irvin- Looks like a 2nd round tender is in order here.  I like that he can play DE or 3tech.  He is a risk with injuries and a puff away from a long suspension.  Keep, but cautiously.

Crawford.  Overpaid. Decent contributor when healthy.  I like him for depth.

J Smith.  Overcame a terrible injury.  Was obvious he struggled early on, but again I saw positive steps and improvement.  High character player who will get better.

Scandrick. I think the writing is on the wall. He is likely not coming back.  Saw him in an interview with Skip and I do not expect him back.

Lewis/Awuzie – For rookie CB’s I thought they were outstanding. 

Brown- Regressed this year and was a target by opposing teams.  Still think he is decent and a good depth player.

B Jones-  Can someone please get me Jerry’s cell.  This guy is NOT a bloody safety. He is not a willing tackler and not good in space.  He is very strong in press and tighter coverage assignments.  He did a nice a job vs. TE’s.  This guy is a freaking Corner. We have 1 year left on his deal to try him there. I would let him take the slot after Scandrick goes.  I think he would thrive here. He was my most frustrating player to watch last year.

Heath- Serviceable, the old whipping boy not playing too bad at SS.  We need a FS – come on down Earl Thomas. 

1 tech.  Bottom line is we need one, a big fat run stopper who holds the line and let’s our LB’s fly into gaps.

ST’s

Bailey. I am giving a pass here. Will chalk up the end of year to the groin injury.

Jones.  Outstanding play from our punter. Seriously.

Return game – Switzer busted 1, but I think he is average.

Coverage – Was solid. No concerns other then we lost Bassacia to Oakland

Draft/Free Agency Needs:

WR – Gotta have one.  No knuckle heads. Someone who can stretch the field and can run the entire route tree.  Draft round 1 or 2.  I would also target one of the FA’s – big group and decent talent.  Should be a buyer’s market.

FS – I believe we need veteran back there to be the leader.  Earl Thomas just makes way too much sense. I pray we take a run at him.  If we miss, I still believe it needs to be addressed through FA.

LB – Draft at least one.

1 tech – This is a must

CB – Can’t have too many. With Brown struggling some and the uncertain future of Byron Jones, I would absolutely draft one in the top 3 rounds.

OT – Tyron’s back has to give us all pause and I have not been able to get that that Atlanta game out of mind to this date.  OT is an absolute need.

We have a ton of picks, would not minds seeing some packing of mid round picks to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Do NOT trade up in the first!!!

We see most things the exact same way. Kind of eery, LOL.

I’ll post more later, but agree on Byron Jones. I have a strong hunch Richard will insist on Jones being moved to CB. 

I’ve been adament about a run-stuffing DT, as well. Big need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BigTex said:

Garrett is part of the problem. We’ll never win a Championship with him in charge. The GB lost last year is as close as we’ll ever get with him.

Tex

Garrett certainly isn’t an asset, which is a problem in itself, but I remain hopeful about the changes to the coaching staff as well as proposed scheme changes.

Not a big Linehan fan, but let’s see what they come up with. Richard was a great hire & will be our DC in 2019, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you guys’ opinions on signing a FA WR?

Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, & Jarvis Landry are the top FAs. If we sign a big name, Dez will need to be cut for sure (which is ok with me). One WR I’m interested in is Paul Richardson if we can get him at a reasonable price. 

I’ll have to think on it more, but if we don’t sign one of the top WRs, I’d like to see us draft one no later than day-2.

I’m thinking Richardson & a good rookie would work for me.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if we don’t land a top FA WR, if we went into next season with something like Richardson/Butler/Dez (with the right salary & a move to the slot) along with a good rookie, it would be a huge upgrade over what we had this season. I do like Switzer & he could be Dez’ replacement down the road or if the switch to the slot doesn’t work out. 

 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Garrett certainly isn’t an asset, which is a problem in itself, but I remain hopeful about the changes to the coaching staff as well as proposed scheme changes.

Not a big Linehan fan, but let’s see what they come up with. Richard was a great hire & will be our DC in 2019, IMO.

Missing out on Todd Haley was huge, Hell we didn’t even try....it’s a shame.

Tex

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Football Jones said:

What are you guys’ opinions on signing a FA WR?

Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, & Jarvis Landry are the top FAs. If we sign a big name, Dez will need to be cut for sure (which is ok with me). One WR I’m interested in is Paul Richardson if we can get him at a reasonable price. 

I’ll have to think on it more, but if we don’t sign one of the top WRs, I’d like to see us draft one no later than day-2.

I’m thinking Richardson & a good rookie would work for me.

The Boys changed their philosophy on FAs years ago they just let the big names get picked then they might sign a bargain player or two which garners the same results.

Tex

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the same story this year:

Until the culture is fundamentally changed there is no upside. The team may win nine games, they may win twelve. What the Cowboys lack is the ability to win games in the playoffs. Garrett is a poor game manager who routinely bungles late game situations. The roster is filled with players who make poor choices. It is clear that many players like, but do not love, the game of football- I say this talking about behavior- not words. Zeke is an uber talented player, but will be mature and become a man? Can Dez realize that his self-serving displays of emotions do nothing to further the cause of the team? In both cases- I think not. I really like Dak and think he is both a quality player and person, but believe his NFL trajectory looks more like this year's performance than last year's. 

Above all, until the team fundamentally shifts the culture, and this cannot happen until Jerry Jones is no longer involved, the perpetual state of mediocrity will exist. The micro analysis of the roster, while entertaining, is secondary compared to how these pieces fit into the larger structure, which is fractured and not based upon performance. 

Truthfully- it matters less who they draft and who they sign than what the overarching culture surrounding these players is. Until this changes, we will have the same conversation each and every year. The issue is neither talent, nor personnel; it is one of accountability. This lack of an accountability mindset permeates the entire organization. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ack88 said:

It's the same story this year:

Until the culture is fundamentally changed there is no upside. The team may win nine games, they may win twelve. What the Cowboys lack is the ability to win games in the playoffs. Garrett is a poor game manager who routinely bungles late game situations. The roster is filled with players who make poor choices. It is clear that many players like, but do not love, the game of football- I say this talking about behavior- not words. Zeke is an uber talented player, but will be mature and become a man? Can Dez realize that his self-serving displays of emotions do nothing to further the cause of the team? In both cases- I think not. I really like Dak and think he is both a quality player and person, but believe his NFL trajectory looks more like this year's performance than last year's. 

Above all, until the team fundamentally shifts the culture, and this cannot happen until Jerry Jones is no longer involved, the perpetual state of mediocrity will exist. The micro analysis of the roster, while entertaining, is secondary compared to how these pieces fit into the larger structure, which is fractured and not based upon performance. 

Truthfully- it matters less who they draft and who they sign than what the overarching culture surrounding these players is. Until this changes, we will have the same conversation each and every year. The issue is neither talent, nor personnel; it is one of accountability. This lack of an accountability mindset permeates the entire organization. 

I'm much more optimistic, but you make some good points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to get to work Cowboys. The NFC is going to be really tough. Lots of good teams. The Vikings will likely get an upgrade at QB & coupled with Cook returning, should be considered the favorites next season. They could be SCARY. The Rams might be our biggest worry longterm, though. Lots of young talent & they might have the next Belichick in McVay.

We’ve got a great young base to work with which is key for longterm success, but this is a critical offseason. We have to fix some things & make the right moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Time to get to work Cowboys. The NFC is going to be really tough. Lots of good teams. The Vikings will likely get an upgrade at QB & coupled with Cook returning, should be considered the favorites next season. They could be SCARY. The Rams might be our biggest worry longterm, though. Lots of young talent & they might have the next Belichick in McVay.

We’ve got a great young base to work with which is key for longterm success, but this is a critical offseason. We have to fix some things & make the right moves.

Let's see, the Eagles beat the Rams, beat the Vikings, aren't losing any significant players or coaches, are adding back an MVP caliber QB, a pro bowl left tackle, and their middle linebacker, have a coach who just out Belichecked Belicheck, have a GM who might have had the best offseason since the Cowboys in the early 90's, and they are not a concern of yours? Love ya, football jones, you are at least consistent. Please keep this up next year. I think it only helps the Eagles. :D

And yes, I know you have Wentz on your FF team and that you were cheering for the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Seriously, the Vikings and Rams do have a lot of young talent. But right now the Eagles have the talent and the coaching. Most of the talking heads are just gushing about what a great job Doug Pederson did in the Super Bowl. But he did that all season. There is no reason right now to think that will change next year. McVay looks nice right now, but he fell short in the playoffs, and let's see what happens now that there are high expectations for the Rams. The NFC is pretty stacked with the Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Saints, and Falcons all having good teams. Green Bay, Seattle, Carolina and the Cowboys are just a notch below but are definitely still dangerous. The 49ers could be a team on the rise. Definitely a tough conference. It will be fun to see how 2018 plays out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dhockster said:

Let's see, the Eagles beat the Rams, beat the Vikings, aren't losing any significant players or coaches, are adding back an MVP caliber QB, a pro bowl left tackle, and their middle linebacker, have a coach who just out Belichecked Belicheck, have a GM who might have had the best offseason since the Cowboys in the early 90's, and they are not a concern of yours? Love ya, football jones, you are at least consistent. Please keep this up next year. I think it only helps the Eagles. :D

And yes, I know you have Wentz on your FF team and that you were cheering for the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Seriously, the Vikings and Rams do have a lot of young talent. But right now the Eagles have the talent and the coaching. Most of the talking heads are just gushing about what a great job Doug Pederson did in the Super Bowl. But he did that all season. There is no reason right now to think that will change next year. McVay looks nice right now, but he fell short in the playoffs, and let's see what happens now that there are high expectations for the Rams. The NFC is pretty stacked with the Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Saints, and Falcons all having good teams. Green Bay, Seattle, Carolina and the Cowboys are just a notch below but are definitely still dangerous. The 49ers could be a team on the rise. Definitely a tough conference. It will be fun to see how 2018 plays out.

2

Don't take it personal. You guys won the Super Bowl. Enjoy it, LOL. I rooted for you guys. You wont find many Cowboys fans doing that. I have absolutely nothing against Eagles fans or any other fan base for that matter.

That said, I've got to post what I believe (& that belief comes with a lot of knowledge & a good track record). You guys obviously have a good team, but you're quite a ways from having a great team. One that can repeat & become a team of the decade, etc. You're going to have a very difficult time having similar success next season (even WITH Wentz). I'm quite confident of ranking the Vikings & Rams ahead of the Eagles for our toughest competition over the next several seasons as things stand right now. 

I'm assuming the Vikings will get an upgrade at QB. If so, they could be monsters next season with Cook returning & that D. However, the Rams are probably who I'm most concerned with long-term as a Cowboys fan. Lots of young talent & a possible guru for a HC.

Again, don't take it personal. Be proud of what you guys have done this season. 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I previously mentioned I'd currently have the Eagles 3rd in the NFC next season.That's not much of a diss, LOL. It doesn't take much to fall off the pedestal. It's a very fine line.

Just know things can change & my opinions can change depending on what happens, but we could give you guys all you want & more next season. We have a great young base to work with & we match up well, especially if we get the upgrades at WR I expect.

Should be fun. Again, congrats on the fine season.

 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a veteran corner desperately.  There is a reason NE paid Revis and Gilmore big time, it’s a vital position.  They really missed Butler in the SB BTW.  Would like them to run at Akamura, Butler, Amerson, Kyle Fuller, just at the right price.  

Dez needs to take a significant pay cut or walk. I hate paying WRs big money, as they rarely if ever are worth it.  He’s clearly no longer a top tier WR, and never really developed into a complete WR.  

Look at getting a 6th man on the offensive line, the lack of depth significantly hurt us last year.  

Maybe take a flyer on a FA TE like Eifert, Gillmore, or ASJ for the right price.

I expect the D line to be one of the best next season, along with our O line.  

Zeke is great but let’s not run him into the dirt.  Let the backups get some snaps in so he stays fresh. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Don't take it personal. You guys won the Super Bowl. Enjoy it, LOL. I rooted for you guys. You wont find many Cowboys fans doing that. I have absolutely nothing against Eagles fans or any other fan base for that matter.

That said, I've got to post what I believe (& that belief comes with a lot of knowledge & a good track record). You guys obviously have a good team, but you're quite a ways from having a great team. One that can repeat & become a team of the decade, etc. You're going to have a very difficult time having similar success next season (even WITH Wentz). I'm quite confident of ranking the Vikings & Rams ahead of the Eagles for our toughest competition over the next several seasons as things stand right now. 

I'm assuming the Vikings will get an upgrade at QB. If so, they could be monsters next season with Cook returning & that D. However, the Rams are probably who I'm most concerned with long-term as a Cowboys fan. Lots of young talent & a possible guru for a HC.

Again, don't take it personal. Be proud of what you guys have done this season. 

First of all, I am not taking it personally. Just good football discussion.

I like facts to support opinions. With that in mind, how would you rank Mike Zimmer, Sean McVay, and Doug Pederson today as head coaches? Please use facts to support your position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Don't take it personal. You guys won the Super Bowl. Enjoy it, LOL. I rooted for you guys. You wont find many Cowboys fans doing that. I have absolutely nothing against Eagles fans or any other fan base for that matter.

That said, I've got to post what I believe (& that belief comes with a lot of knowledge & a good track record). You guys obviously have a good team, but you're quite a ways from having a great team. One that can repeat & become a team of the decade, etc. You're going to have a very difficult time having similar success next season (even WITH Wentz). I'm quite confident of ranking the Vikings & Rams ahead of the Eagles for our toughest competition over the next several seasons as things stand right now. 

I'm assuming the Vikings will get an upgrade at QB. If so, they could be monsters next season with Cook returning & that D. However, the Rams are probably who I'm most concerned with long-term as a Cowboys fan. Lots of young talent & a possible guru for a HC.

Again, don't take it personal. Be proud of what you guys have done this season. 

Unpack this for me. What leads you to this conclusion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dhockster said:

Unpack this for me. What leads you to this conclusion?

I believe you’re a little overrated on both sides of the ball. That sounds worse than it is so don’t take it wrong.

On offense, Wentz’ yards to TD ratio simply isn’t sustainable. In fact, it may not even be close to sustainable unless you guys can land an elite playmaker. Jeffery & Ertz are nice players, but great teams typically have at least one elite playmaker (think Emmitt & Irvin).

On D, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know your weakness. Your DBs got exposed by a team essentially missing their top 2 WRs. Granted, they did have an elite playmaker in Gronk. You’re going to need to shore up pass D, but that’s no secret.

The Eagles had a lot of things go right & played with a lot of leads (which helped your D). It’s going to be very difficult for you guys to replicate your success. I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, but the Vikings & possibly the Rams could be monsters next season. We also have a lot of potential. There’s just so many good teams in the NFC & the 9ers could be a sleeping giant, as well.

That said, I think you have a good team & a sound organization. I think you could be a great team with the right moves, but so could the Vikings, Rams, Cowboys, & several other teams. As you know, staying on top in the NFL is extremely difficult. Everything is geared towards parity (draft order, etc.). 

Like I said, it should be fun.

 

 

 

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I believe you’re a little overrated on both sides of the ball. That sounds worse than it is so don’t take it wrong.

On offense, Wentz’ yards to TD ratio simply isn’t sustainable. In fact, it may not even be close to sustainable unless you guys can land an elite playmaker. Jeffery & Ertz are nice players, but great teams typically have at least one elite playmaker (think Emmitt & Irvin).

On D, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know your weakness. Your DBs got exposed by a team essentially missing their top 2 WRs. Granted, they did have an elite playmaker in Gronk. You’re going to need to shore up pass D, but that’s no secret.

The Eagles had a lot of things go right & played with a lot of leads (which helped your D). It’s going to be very difficult for you guys to replicate your success. I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, but the Vikings & possibly the Rams could be monsters next season. We also have a lot of potential. There’s just so many good teams in the NFC & the 9ers could be a sleeping giant, as well.

That said, I think you have a good team & a sound organization. I think you could be a great team with the right moves, but so could the Vikings, Rams, Cowboys, & several other teams. As you know, staying on top in the NFL is extremely difficult. Everything is geared towards parity (draft order, etc.). 

Like I said, it should be fun.

 

 

 

I take the bolded parts point by point:

  • I am not sure why this is even important. But that stat simply reflects that the Eagles are pretty balanced in how they move the ball (13th in passing yards, 3rd in rushing yards) but when they get in the red zone they score a lot of their points via the pass rather than pounding it in with the run. If teams start trying to shut down the pass in the red zone then the Eagles have shown they have the line and the RB's that can score if they have to.
  • The secondary is obviously the Eagles weakest spot as a team. However, they acquired Darby in preseason, and after missing 8 games due to injury he played well at the end of the season. He should benefit from a full offseason of learning the defense. They also drafted Sidney Jones in the second round last year who would have been a 1st round pick if not for injury. He only played in the season finale against Dallas. He should also help the secondary. I love how you fail to mention that the Eagles got exposed by Tom Brady. it's not like he hasn't exposed any other secondary.
  • What went right for the Eagles, other than playing really good football and winning a lot of games? Did they have extraordinary health? No. Did they have an inordinately easy schedule? Well, they had a last place schedule but that only gave them one easier game vs. the Bears. The other game was against the Panthers on the road. Did they win because they had a great year in turnover +/-? Well, they were 4th in this category, but keep in mind that they were only +1  in turnovers in their 3 playoff games and still went 3-0.

Obviously, the biggest factor for the Eagles next year is whether they suffer from a super bowl hangover. However, because this team is not made up of megastars who won based on talent more than work, I don't think this is likely. Pederson showed what a great coach he is this year, and I think he will be able to keep the team working hard like they did this year. If there is one place I think you are really underestimating the Eagles, it is in not factoring Pederson's effect on the team as much as you should. I would agree with you if you said that the Cowboys had more talent on their roster than the Eagles (it's pretty close). But the Eagles performed so much better because of having Pederson vs. the Cowboys having Garrett. Unfortunately for you guys, it does not look like Garrett is going anywhere, and that will be a hard thing to overcome. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dhockster said:

I take the bolded parts point by point:

  • I am not sure why this is even important. But that stat simply reflects that the Eagles are pretty balanced in how they move the ball (13th in passing yards, 3rd in rushing yards) but when they get in the red zone they score a lot of their points via the pass rather than pounding it in with the run. If teams start trying to shut down the pass in the red zone then the Eagles have shown they have the line and the RB's that can score if they have to.
  • The secondary is obviously the Eagles weakest spot as a team. However, they acquired Darby in preseason, and after missing 8 games due to injury he played well at the end of the season. He should benefit from a full offseason of learning the defense. They also drafted Sidney Jones in the second round last year who would have been a 1st round pick if not for injury. He only played in the season finale against Dallas. He should also help the secondary. I love how you fail to mention that the Eagles got exposed by Tom Brady. it's not like he hasn't exposed any other secondary.
  • What went right for the Eagles, other than playing really good football and winning a lot of games? Did they have extraordinary health? No. Did they have an inordinately easy schedule? Well, they had a last place schedule but that only gave them one easier game vs. the Bears. The other game was against the Panthers on the road. Did they win because they had a great year in turnover +/-? Well, they were 4th in this category, but keep in mind that they were only +1  in turnovers in their 3 playoff games and still went 3-0.

Obviously, the biggest factor for the Eagles next year is whether they suffer from a super bowl hangover. However, because this team is not made up of megastars who won based on talent more than work, I don't think this is likely. Pederson showed what a great coach he is this year, and I think he will be able to keep the team working hard like they did this year. If there is one place I think you are really underestimating the Eagles, it is in not factoring Pederson's effect on the team as much as you should. I would agree with you if you said that the Cowboys had more talent on their roster than the Eagles (it's pretty close). But the Eagles performed so much better because of having Pederson vs. the Cowboys having Garrett. Unfortunately for you guys, it does not look like Garrett is going anywhere, and that will be a hard thing to overcome. 

 

I don't want to get into a huge debate, but yards to TD ratio is very important. Wentz' yards to TD ratio WILL go down next season. It's not sustainable, especially without elite playmakers. That's going to force your RBs to be more involved in scoring & you don't have a stud. You have a great RBBC, but it's going to be difficult for your offense to be as efficient without all the TD passes. Now, I'm not saying Wentz can't throw a lot of TDs. He can, but it's going to have to come with a lot more yards.

Do you have the players to do that without an elite playmaker or two? I don't know, but it's going to be much more difficult. In short, things aren't going to be as easy on both sides of the ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I don't want to get into a huge debate, but yards to TD ratio is very important. Wentz' yards to TD ratio WILL go down next season. It's not sustainable, especially without elite playmakers. That's going to force your RBs to be more involved in scoring & you don't have a stud. You have a great RBBC, but it's going to be difficult for your offense to be as efficient without all the TD passes. Now, I'm not saying Wentz can't throw a lot of TDs. He can, but it's going to have to come with a lot more yards.

Do you have the players to do that without an elite playmaker or two? I don't know, but it's going to be much more difficult. In short, things aren't going to be as easy on both sides of the ball.

Gosh, I don't know. Have you watched the last two games where they scored 79 points against the #1 defense in the league and one of the greatest defensive minds in the NFL?

The Eagles spread the ball around a lot so no one player accumulates a ton of stats. Jeffery was a stud in the playoffs and certainly has the ability to put up big numbers (1,421 receiving yards in 2013). Ertz has to be one of the top 2 or 3 TE's in the league. New England definitely couldn't stop him. Agholor is a former #1 pick who finally lived up to some of his potential this year scoring 8 TD's and catching 9 balls in the Super Bowl. The RBBC worked really well throughout the season, with 3 different runners being able to contribute significantly. Clement may end being the best of the 3 and he is coming off his rookie season, so he could definitely be a stud in the future. Oh, and their starting and back up QB's are not slouches either.  I think with the players I listed, the need for an "Elite" player is not really very necessary. In fact by not having an elite player or two, It makes the Eagles offense harder to stop because there is not just one of two players to try to shut down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dhockster said:

Gosh, I don't know. Have you watched the last two games where they scored 79 points against the #1 defense in the league and one of the greatest defensive minds in the NFL?

The Eagles spread the ball around a lot so no one player accumulates a ton of stats. Jeffery was a stud in the playoffs and certainly has the ability to put up big numbers (1,421 receiving yards in 2013). Ertz has to be one of the top 2 or 3 TE's in the league. New England definitely couldn't stop him. Agholor is a former #1 pick who finally lived up to some of his potential this year scoring 8 TD's and catching 9 balls in the Super Bowl. The RBBC worked really well throughout the season, with 3 different runners being able to contribute significantly. Clement may end being the best of the 3 and he is coming off his rookie season, so he could definitely be a stud in the future. Oh, and their starting and back up QB's are not slouches either.  I think with the players I listed, the need for an "Elite" player is not really very necessary. In fact by not having an elite player or two, It makes the Eagles offense harder to stop because there is not just one of two players to try to shut down.

I agree.

Honestly, I think the league should probably just cancel the next two seasons and hand Philly the next two Lombardi trophies 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dhockster said:

Gosh, I don't know. Have you watched the last two games where they scored 79 points against the #1 defense in the league and one of the greatest defensive minds in the NFL?

The Eagles spread the ball around a lot so no one player accumulates a ton of stats. Jeffery was a stud in the playoffs and certainly has the ability to put up big numbers (1,421 receiving yards in 2013). Ertz has to be one of the top 2 or 3 TE's in the league. New England definitely couldn't stop him. Agholor is a former #1 pick who finally lived up to some of his potential this year scoring 8 TD's and catching 9 balls in the Super Bowl. The RBBC worked really well throughout the season, with 3 different runners being able to contribute significantly. Clement may end being the best of the 3 and he is coming off his rookie season, so he could definitely be a stud in the future. Oh, and their starting and back up QB's are not slouches either.  I think with the players I listed, the need for an "Elite" player is not really very necessary. In fact by not having an elite player or two, It makes the Eagles offense harder to stop because there is not just one of two players to try to shut down.

I think it's going to be much harder than you realize next season. Philly doesn't yet have the talent to be dominant & also has some potential weaknesses for typical long-term success in today's NFL (like the lack of elite playmakers & your pass D could be a real hinderance). 

That said, you've got a good base of talent. It should be a helluva race next season. Like I said earlier, it just comes down to who makes the right moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dhockster said:

 

A fair point about Garrett. That said, some Cowboys fans might disagree with me, but I don't necessarily think Garrett has a negative effect on us. He's not an asset, but at the same time, Garrett isn't an idoit like a Rich Kotite or something. He's just a guy as far as HCs go.

Could we use someone better? Absolutely, but I love a couple of the hires we've made this offseason & think we're going in the right direction. I'll say this, Garrett is gone if we have another disappointing season. And I don't mean barely making the playoffs & losing in the wildcard round. Jerry is only going to put up with Garrett for so long. JJ loves winning too much. The only thing that saved Garrett after this past year is being one season removed from being Coach of the Year.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 4:07 PM, Cowboysfan8 said:

I agree.

Honestly, I think the league should probably just cancel the next two seasons and hand Philly the next two Lombardi trophies 

Well, I think the Eagles are willing to play to try to win them, but if you think the league should just give the Eagles the next two Lombardi's, I'm okay with that.

Edited by dhockster
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team will get worse before it gets better. The Dez issue needs to be resolved (I think they need to take the hit and trade him for anything they can get before the draft). Elliot needs to get his life in order, the coaching staff needs to be revamped, etc. Given their division, I'd expect 9-7 or 8-8 this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go get em Charles..

sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/02/12/charles-haleys-message-cowboys-jerry-built-house-bunch-damn-losers

"I don't think they understand what it takes to win a game. If you want to look back, if that was Coach [Jimmy] Johnson, we would've worked harder than we did last year just to repeat that part of it. I don't see that maturity where guys are doing their own thing out there. When the coach says run 10, you run 15, or you grab your teammates and go run. They took 13-3 for granted and they thought, 'OK, we'll win the Super Bowl the next year.'

"I blame everybody. It's one team and everybody's together. And that's the key. I go over there and I tell guys, 'Man, Jerry built this house for a bunch of damn losers.' And they get mad. They have to do something about it. I can't do anything about it, I can't play. All I can do is give you some knowledge. 

"And then the egos are so big and they're so busy getting on Twitter and Facebook and everything else - maybe they should get in that playbook. Maybe they should learn how to rush, catch and block. 

"I tell those guys nobody's scared of them. Ain't nobody in the league scared of y'all. What y'all been doing is listening to people saying you've got the best offensive line in the business. I said who's scared of y'all? Huh? Those little things like that, those intangibles, the attitude you take to the field [matters]. ... I go over there and I watch guys work. I watch them go through drills. They go through three or four drills and they're gassed."

Idk why I can't c+p the link.

But I love what Haley is saying. He needs to be on staff full time

Edited by Cowboysfan8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Go get em Charles..

sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/02/12/charles-haleys-message-cowboys-jerry-built-house-bunch-damn-losers

"I don't think they understand what it takes to win a game. If you want to look back, if that was Coach [Jimmy] Johnson, we would've worked harder than we did last year just to repeat that part of it. I don't see that maturity where guys are doing their own thing out there. When the coach says run 10, you run 15, or you grab your teammates and go run. They took 13-3 for granted and they thought, 'OK, we'll win the Super Bowl the next year.'

"I blame everybody. It's one team and everybody's together. And that's the key. I go over there and I tell guys, 'Man, Jerry built this house for a bunch of damn losers.' And they get mad. They have to do something about it. I can't do anything about it, I can't play. All I can do is give you some knowledge. 

"And then the egos are so big and they're so busy getting on Twitter and Facebook and everything else - maybe they should get in that playbook. Maybe they should learn how to rush, catch and block. 

"I tell those guys nobody's scared of them. Ain't nobody in the league scared of y'all. What y'all been doing is listening to people saying you've got the best offensive line in the business. I said who's scared of y'all? Huh? Those little things like that, those intangibles, the attitude you take to the field [matters]. ... I go over there and I watch guys work. I watch them go through drills. They go through three or four drills and they're gassed."

Idk why I can't c+p the link.

But I love what Haley is saying. He needs to be on staff full time

We definitely could use a guy like Haley. I'd like to see it come from a player, though.

As Dak matures, maybe he can be that guy. He's a good leader, but it needs to go to the next level. Sean Lee could be that guy on D. 

We're missing some intangibles, but we've got an outstanding talent base & the vast majority of the talent is young. The Cowboys have a ton of potential, but we need to take advantage of it.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, dhockster said:

Let's see, the Eagles beat the Rams, beat the Vikings, aren't losing any significant players or coaches, are adding back an MVP caliber QB, a pro bowl left tackle, and their middle linebacker, have a coach who just out Belichecked Belicheck, have a GM who might have had the best offseason since the Cowboys in the early 90's, and they are not a concern of yours? Love ya, football jones, you are at least consistent. Please keep this up next year. I think it only helps the Eagles. :D

And yes, I know you have Wentz on your FF team and that you were cheering for the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Seriously, the Vikings and Rams do have a lot of young talent. But right now the Eagles have the talent and the coaching. Most of the talking heads are just gushing about what a great job Doug Pederson did in the Super Bowl. But he did that all season. There is no reason right now to think that will change next year. McVay looks nice right now, but he fell short in the playoffs, and let's see what happens now that there are high expectations for the Rams. The NFC is pretty stacked with the Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Saints, and Falcons all having good teams. Green Bay, Seattle, Carolina and the Cowboys are just a notch below but are definitely still dangerous. The 49ers could be a team on the rise. Definitely a tough conference. It will be fun to see how 2018 plays out.

:doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 7:29 PM, dschuler said:

We need a veteran corner desperately.  There is a reason NE paid Revis and Gilmore big time, it’s a vital position.  They really missed Butler in the SB BTW.  Would like them to run at Akamura, Butler, Amerson, Kyle Fuller, just at the right price.  

Dez needs to take a significant pay cut or walk. I hate paying WRs big money, as they rarely if ever are worth it.  He’s clearly no longer a top tier WR, and never really developed into a complete WR.  

Look at getting a 6th man on the offensive line, the lack of depth significantly hurt us last year.  

Maybe take a flyer on a FA TE like Eifert, Gillmore, or ASJ for the right price.

I expect the D line to be one of the best next season, along with our O line.  

Zeke is great but let’s not run him into the dirt.  Let the backups get some snaps in so he stays fresh. 

 

 

Eagles are the most cap-strapped team in the league, and will need to let some guys go. Patrick Robinson looked impressive at different times during the year, wonder if the Cowboys would kick the tires on him. I doubt the Eagles can hold onto him with their wealth at the CB position (return Mills and Darby, and have the 1st and 2nd round picks from last year's draft as well)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Cowboysfan8 said:

I agree.

Honestly, I think the league should probably just cancel the next two seasons and hand Philly the next two Lombardi trophies 

:hifive:     :suds:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are killing me. We don't need to get rid of Dez. We need to get him some help. Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley scare nobody and require no game planning against. Dez has heart, he loves the Cowboys, the team is family and his passion. This team needs more passion and more fire, not less. The coaching staff needs to do their job and let us fans see Dez's passion on the field and not the sidelines. 

Edited by Dezbelief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dezbelief said:

You guys are killing me. We don't need to get rid of Dez. We need to get him some help. Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley scare nobody and require no game planning against. Dez has heart, he loves the Cowboys, the team is family and his passion. This team needs more passion and more fire, not less. The coaching staff needs to do their job and let us fans see Dez's passion on the field and not the sidelines. 

I would not cry if he is gone and we spend the savings wisely.  However, I am also fine with keeping him too but ONLY at a reduced rate.  He simply is not worth his contract. There are decent FA's at WR - This HAS to be an early need at the draft.

Also, if I read one more scouting report of a guy we like - who offers "great position flexibility" I am going to puke.  If we are draft a LB, draft a freaking LB.  No more projects, no more guessing at what someone could be.  Repeat after me:  Big Schools, played the position, Character, Captain, had success and is NOT severely injured. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

I would not cry if he is gone and we spend the savings wisely.  However, I am also fine with keeping him too but ONLY at a reduced rate.  He simply is not worth his contract. There are decent FA's at WR - This HAS to be an early need at the draft.

Also, if I read one more scouting report of a guy we like - who offers "great position flexibility" I am going to puke.  If we are draft a LB, draft a freaking LB.  No more projects, no more guessing at what someone could be.  Repeat after me:  Big Schools, played the position, Character, Captain, had success and is NOT severely injured. 

 

Speaking of player flexibility, I just saw a blurb saying Byron Jones is expected to move back to CB this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.