Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Football Jones

***2018 Dallas Cowboys***

6 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

DJ looks like a slot WR. He is not value at 19.

WTF is going on today??? I know it’s Friday the 13rd...but Christ almighty. 

?‍♂️

Lololol.

He shows Dez running but not the QB. It’s pretty evident that on a lot of those plays the ball is either out already or Dak is under pressure.

And those are some of the sloppiest routes I’ve ever seen. 

Bottom line one is they chose their young QB over. 29 year old Malcontent who run sloppy routes and has questionable hands. 

Im OK with that. Which would you prefer?

2 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Lololol.

He shows Dez running but not the QB. It’s pretty evident that on a lot of those plays the ball is either out already or Dak is under pressure.

And those are some of the sloppiest routes I’ve ever seen. 

Bottom line one is they chose their young QB over. 29 year old Malcontent who run sloppy routes and has questionable hands. 

Im OK with that. Which would you prefer?

I would prefer a front office with a plan and a coaching staff who knew what they were doing. 

Our fanbase cheers letting a pro bowl WR walk for nothin other than cap relief. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bankerguy said:

I would prefer a front office with a plan and a coaching staff who knew what they were doing. 

How do you not know the plan already?  

On offense we are focused on our Oline, strong running game and limiting turnovers. 

On defense we are focusing on a strong Dline, and young talent. 

We stopped paying exorbitant contracts for free agents about 4 years ago. You can’t pay everyone top dollar. We keep our core guys, sign some cheap talent after the FA rush and try to hit on those two year contracts. 

On the surface, I get Bankerguy's frustration. Losing a 30-year old former Pro Bowl WR simply for cap relief isn't the ideal situation.

That said, Dez hasn't been playing even close to a Pro Bowl level the last couple seasons. Bottom line, you have to perform up to standards when you have a big contract. The cap is too restrictive to have high paid players who underperform.

While I support the move, we have to replace him somehow. We need to either trade for a top WR or hit on one in the draft. The staff needs to do a better job on offense, as well.

I'm hopeful, but we'll see what happens. 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

Compelling counter point. 

You didn’t bother to make a point, so why bother making a counterpoint?

FWIW, I love LZ as much as the next guy, and I don’t disagree with a word he said. 

3 hours ago, cobalt_27 said:

You didn’t bother to make a point, so why bother making a counterpoint?

FWIW, I love LZ as much as the next guy, and I don’t disagree with a word he said. 

Like the part where he says he is likely a slot WR?

By cutting Dez now and taking the full cap hit this season the Cowboys will be done with dead money against the cap for Dez and Romo after this season.

They currently have 72M in cap space next season but  only have 42 players under contract for 2019.  Of course many of their current players will be resigned and they have Zach Martin and Demarcus Lawrence will get big $$ contracts but they will be able to be a significant player in FA next season if they choose too.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, Bankerguy said:

Like the part where he says he is likely a slot WR?

He didn’t say that.  He said, probably quite accurately, that Moore’s height at 6’ 0” probably *many teams* looking at him as a full-time slot WR.  Likely that those same teams evaluated Antonio Brown (5’ 10”) and Stefon Diggs (6’ 0”) and Steve Smith (5’ 9”) as full-time slot receivers, too.

He sure looks to me and others (e.g., Matt Waldman) like he can play anywhere teams want to put him.  I’d put both his floor and his ceiling higher than Ridley.  It’s pretty superficial analysis to say of a 6’ WR that he’s too short to play outside.  Just get the best damn football players and win some games.  Moore strikes me as a really damn good football player.  

Edited by cobalt_27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cobalt_27 said:

He didn’t say that.  He said, probably quite accurately, that Moore’s height at 6’ 0” probably *many teams* looking at him as a full-time slot WR.  Likely that those same teams evaluated Antonio Brown (5’ 10”) and Stefon Diggs (6’ 0”) and Steve Smith (5’ 9”) as full-time slot receivers, too.

He sure looks to me and others (e.g., Matt Waldman) like he can play anywhere teams want to put him.  I’d put both his floor and his ceiling higher than Ridley.  It’s pretty superficial analysis to say of a 6’ WR that he’s too short to play outside.  Just get the best damn football players and win some games.  Moore strikes me as a really damn good football player.  

Thank you for expanding. I remain underwhelmed by both Ridley and Moore.  This whole draft just seems meh or is it just me?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

Thank you for expanding. I remain underwhelmed by both Ridley and Moore.  This whole draft just seems meh or is it just me?  

I'm with you.... not high on any of the WR's projected to go Round 1 or 2.... first thing I thought of when Dez was cut is the fear the Cowboys reach for a WR in the first

52 minutes ago, Wu-banger said:

I'm with you.... not high on any of the WR's projected to go Round 1 or 2.... first thing I thought of when Dez was cut is the fear the Cowboys reach for a WR in the first

They better not. I would never draft a WR in the first round. 

In order of preference, OL/DL/DB in that order. You pick one of those 3 in the 1st every year and you’ll be a well built team. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 9:44 AM, Bankerguy said:

big story i don't hear much about is you don't think the rest of the players see how Dez was treated? one of the key's for your team, and the team screws you  over by cutting him after the free agency period. Unless they can pull off some Patriot magic, most teams who screw over players on their team are not great free agent destinations

7 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

I'm a little north of "meh" but outside of Barkley on offense and Chubb on defense, I don't see much HOF potential.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:01 PM, Bankerguy said:

Oh....and he would have taken a cut to stay. Let that sink in. 

If he was willing to take a pay cut, I wish the Cowboys would have brought him back. How Garrett still has a job is beyond me.

9 hours ago, metoo said:

If he was willing to take a pay cut, I wish the Cowboys would have brought him back. How Garrett still has a job is beyond me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2017/02/04/jason-garrett-coach-of-year-dallas/97507884/

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

20 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

They better not. I would never draft a WR in the first round. 

In order of preference, OL/DL/DB in that order. You pick one of those 3 in the 1st every year and you’ll be a well built team. 

This is almost exactly how I feel. Give me dominant line play and I'll show you a winning team.

The path for the Cowboys to return to double digit wins is to control the ball on offense to limit exposure on defense. RM has done outstanding work on defense, but a talent infusion is needed. Lots of smoke and mirrors have made us look decent on defense but our aggregate defensive personnel is bottom third of the league. We will win games through clock management and a 4th quarter running game that closes teams out. As evidence- our two best teams over the past decade have come when DeMarco and Zeke had huge seasons and we played ball control. That's the formula. 

Ridley is the only guy to consider in the top 20 and even then, I'd pass for an EDGE or OL.

Moore, Sutton, etc... would all be reaches at 19. You would not lose much to come back in round 2 with a WR.

Personally, I hope we move out of the 19 spot. From what I've read, there are about 18-20 players that truly have legitimate round #1 grades. After that, it seems like valuations are all over the map. Thus, it creates a great chance to move down and pick up picks if an EDGE or OL is not there. Or, if an elite DT, like Vita Vea slides a bit due to the QB love, we could move up as well. 

On 4/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, Bankerguy said:

I meant in the Cowboys front office. Although, yes our thread is a ghost town.  Most of the SP have scared off most of the Cowboys fans.

For the draft...I am starting to think more and more the pick is Leighton Vander Esch or a trade likely down, but I would not be surprised if one of Vita Vea or Derwin James falls to the teens, we could send a third and swap picks get one of these guys. I don't think Calvin Ridley is a clean prospect and what we are looking for despite WR being a need if we indeed cut Dez.  I hope we don't go WR for at least one more year. Also, I'm going to say I still believe Earl Thomas trade is NOT out the question when the Seahawks drop their price. 

I am going to be in Varadero Cuba on draft day, hoping for a decent wifi signal to keep up to date on this stuff.

:tebow:

42 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Well I’m happy. Anybody else? 

Who’s the next likely target? 

I'm happy too. A lineman on either side of the ball would be fine with me. I have a feeling they'll take a WR though

• Like 1

This draft has been rock solid. Nailed both rounds 1 and 2. Thinking strategically and not reaching for WR, which was a fear I had. Think they go defense next.

• Like 1

I was totally against Hernandez at 19, but Williams in the mid-2nd is a steal. Actually, the Williams' pick shows why Hernandez at 19 would've been a colossal mistake.

We now can keep Collins at RT, Williams goes to LG, & just as important, our FA signee, Cameron Fleming (Pats), becomes our backup T instead of a starter (& he's very solid, even as a longterm fill-in).

God help teams trying to stop Zeke now. :)

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

I'm honestly not sure I could be any happier right now.

LVE/Williams/Gallup is a big-time haul.

Also, not that it really matters much, but supposedly the Pats were after LVE which is interesting.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Football Jones said:

I was totally against Hernandez at 19, but Williams in the mid-2nd is a steal. Actually, the Williams' pick shows why Hernandez at 19 would've been a colossal mistake.

We now can keep Collins at RT, Williams goes to LG, & just as important, our FA signee, Cameron Fleming (Pats), becomes our backup T instead of a starter (& he's very solid, even as a longterm fill-in).

God help teams trying to stop Zeke now. :)

This.

Our key to success comes from the ability to dominate TOP through the running game. Dak is at his best when he is asked to throw 20-25 times a game in favorable down and distance scenarios. He is not dynamic in the Brady, Ben, Brees, ARog sense with regard to being able to sling it up and down the field regardless of situation. This also limits the time our average, but improving defense is on the field. 

3 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

So happy so far and extremely happy the Eagles felt the need trade ahead of us to draft that TE one spot before us.

I got a kick out of that. They take what will be a backup TE (albeit & good prospect) & we get Connor WIlliams (& have a potential difference-maker at TE in Rico already on the roster).

LOL.

so what is the view on Witten in here as it relates to the org. Retiring mid-draft, after saying he would stay, seems almost like a deliberate move to stick it to the org. Fact that it is announced in the news before Cowboys really know seems bad. Witten always seemed like a stand-up guy, is this just a stab at the team. I guess retiring the day after the draft ends would be worse, just curious if this is nothing or is it more of an indication of the functioning of the org.

1 hour ago, modogg said:

so what is the view on Witten in here as it relates to the org. Retiring mid-draft, after saying he would stay, seems almost like a deliberate move to stick it to the org. Fact that it is announced in the news before Cowboys really know seems bad. Witten always seemed like a stand-up guy, is this just a stab at the team. I guess retiring the day after the draft ends would be worse, just curious if this is nothing or is it more of an indication of the functioning of the org.

I think the writing was pretty much on the wall for Witten which was surely the impetus behind his change of mind. You'd be amazed at how many Dallas fans wanted him to retire.

Witten has deteriorated in recent seasons despite being semi-effective. It's simply Rico time now.

Edited by Football Jones

Lol at the thread title...umm the Superbowl champ knows what they're doing. You had no TE that could get playing time from Whitten and you now have leftover potential. 

Then add in the slot corner and Sweat Philly got and you'll be looking up all year once again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slider said:

Lol at the thread title...umm the Superbowl champ knows what they're doing. You had no TE that could get playing time from Whitten and you now have leftover potential. 

Then add in the slot corner and Sweat Philly got and you'll be looking up all year once again. 

I'm kinda torn how it went down you guys thought Goedert was your best option & even traded up, but panicking because we might take him is a reasonable explanation.

Instead, Williams was our original pick (obviously) & we have a potential difference-making TE in Rico already rostered. He's not a sure thing, but neither is Goedert.

I'm not trashing the pick because Goedert is a good prospect, but I can tell you I like the fact you didn't get somebody who'll be more impactful for your team. Not trying to start anything, but I'm simply saying I'm not only happy you took Goedert, the thought you guys fell on your sword needlessly makes me warm & fuzzy. ;) 

Edited by Football Jones

I think you guys are going to like Armstrong. One of my favorite sleepers in this draft.

Schultz was a nice pick for TE depth with Witten retiring.

McClay, Stephen, Jerry, & the scouting department are killing it. We seem to have our #### together & I like it.

21 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I'm kinda torn how it went down you guys thought Goedert was your best option & even traded up, but panicking because we might take him is a reasonable explanation.

Instead, Williams was our original pick (obviously) & we have a potential difference-making TE in Rico already rostered. He's not a sure thing, but neither is Goedert.

I'm not trashing the pick because Goedert is a good prospect, but I can tell you I like the fact you didn't get somebody who'll be more impactful for your team. Not trying to start anything, but I'm simply saying I'm not only happy you took Goedert, the thought you guys fell on your sword needlessly makes me warm & fuzzy. ;) 

You would think they would be enjoying their superbowl win.

Loving our draft.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

TE was a need for the Eagles - I'm not sure they were taking anyone that would be a D1 starter.  Goedert will get playing time.  I liked the Williams pick though, and would have been happy if we took him instead.  Still woulda been a backup this year most likely.  There's just not that many holes on the Eagles roster.  Apparently Carson Wentz had been lobbying for Goedert too - I think it was just they really wanted him, and wanted to make Dallas didn't steal him from us - not the other way around.

18 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

TE was a need for the Eagles - I'm not sure they were taking anyone that would be a D1 starter.  Goedert will get playing time.  I liked the Williams pick though, and would have been happy if we took him instead.  Still woulda been a backup this year most likely.  There's just not that many holes on the Eagles roster.  Apparently Carson Wentz had been lobbying for Goedert too - I think it was just they really wanted him, and wanted to make Dallas didn't steal him from us - not the other way around.

Was TE a big need, though? If I was a Philly fan, I think I'd be hoping for a player likely to have more of an impact.

I don't doubt Goedert will be used, but it's really difficult for teams to fully utilize 2 TEs even with running 12 personnel most of the time. It's hard to get production from both TEs.

Gronk & Hernandez were outliers, but we're talking about what would've been two HOFers if Hernandez hadn't gone south. Ertz is a very good player, but Goedert is an unprovem rookie so there's a huge talent gap between Ertz/Goedert & Gronk/Hernandez.

Seems like Goedert wasn't an ideal pick (at least to me) & was more about keeping him away from Dallas (but we wouldn't have taken Goedert, anyway). Just my perspective.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Was TE a big need, though? If I was a Philly fan, I think I'd be hoping for a player likely to have more of an impact.

I don't doubt Goedert will be used, but it's really difficult for teams to fully utilize 2 TEs even with running 12 personnel most of the time. It's hard to get production from both TEs.

Gronk & Hernandez were outliers, but we're talking about what would've been two HOFers if Hernandez hadn't gone south. Ertz is a very good player, but Goedert is an unprovem rookie so there's a huge talent gap between Ertz/Goedert & Gronk/Hernandez.

Seems like Goedert wasn't an ideal pick (at least to me) & was more about keeping him away from Dallas (but we wouldn't have taken Goedert, anyway). Just my perspective.

Only need Eagles could possibly have is Nickel CB. Look at the injuries the Eagles had and how the back-ups filled in fine. that is good drafting/FA and there wasn't room for a rookie to start for them

I'm hoping Gallup progresses enough in training camp to open as a starter outside with Hurns & Austin shows enough to make him our slot guy (not a big fan of Beasley).

Hurns/Gallup/Austin will be an upgrade from last season with upside.

Backup QB is a big need & we got the QB who might have the biggest upside past the big-5.

Not very athletic, but White has outstanding arm talent. I figured he'd be long gone by now (maybe as early as the 3rd, but certainly around where Lauletta went).

Great value.

Edited by Football Jones