scoobus

BTTF 2018: Draft Complete

4,244 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Update. Please.

Finished

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you asked me to name 15 guys I drafted in this, I might be able to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Rob Reyfsnyder (IF-CLE) or JJ Hoover (RP-MKE)

I was surprised that Refsnyder went undrafted. Crowded roster in Cleveland, to be sure, but intriguing skills. 

Not that long ago that he was a higher ranked prospect than Gary Sanchez  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

next up for me would have been OF Willy Garcia, CHW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dakota Hudson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rossell Herrera and Mike Ohlman were my final two on a list.  Rossell was in debate for the last pick. I don't even remember Ohlman fully, think he's some backup depth catcher that likely won't smell the majors... but then again will Jose Lobaton? (well, maybe)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've generally moved away from drafting prospects in this format.  In most cases, they either spend the full year in the minors or get a September call-up that's unusable in the sim.  There's potentially high reward if they get an early call-up but there's a very high chance they'll be wasted picks.

Only 2 of my 50 picks have no MLB experience yet.  Andrew Suarez is a 25 year old pitcher with a half season of AAA ball under his belt.  Luke Bard is a 27 year old Rule 5 pick who lost two years to injury but ended 2017 in AAA.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, Eephus said:

I've generally moved away from drafting prospects in this format.  In most cases, they either spend the full year in the minors or get a September call-up that's unusable in the sim.  There's potentially high reward if they get an early call-up but there's a very high chance they'll be wasted picks.

Only 2 of my 50 picks have no MLB experience yet.  Andrew Suarez is a 25 year old pitcher with a half season of AAA ball under his belt.  Luke Bard is a 27 year old Rule 5 pick who lost two years to injury but ended 2017 in AAA.

Yep. Rule 5 guys can be nice because they have to stay on the roster all year. Unless the team finds a phantom injury and sends them down for rehab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... Fantrax?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did we do this? I forget...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

Why did we do this? I forget...

Chicks dig it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frostillicus said:

Chicks dig it.

#FakeNews

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had enough beers to make this palatable:

Catcher: Wilson Ramos, Manny Pina, Jesus Sucre

I usually take more than three catchers and I maybe should have this year as well but it seems to me that Ramos and Pina are both the number one guys in their spots based on what I've read. Both are capable of being decent offensive options, Pina was pretty good defensively last season and Ramos was in 14/15/16, so I'm assuming the poor numbers there are injury/playing time related. Sucre is just Ramos insurance to hopefully insure PA's. 

Corner IF: Paul Goldschmidt (1B), Jose Ramirez (3B), Austin Riley, Rio Ruiz, Vlad Guerrero Jr.

I used my first two picks here then did absolutely nothing to back them up. I kind of have the mentality that if one of them gets hurt, I'm ####ed anyway, so I focused everywhere else. I don't have much fear of either guy busting, both seem like "high floor" guys and safe picks, so hopefully that safety pays off.

Middle IF: Paul Dejong (SS), Starlin Castro (2B), Daniel Robertson, Chad Pinder, Joey Wendle, Ronny Rodriguez

I feel better about the Dejong pick after his extension, they're obviously nicely committed to him now. If he repeats 90% of last years numbers and is capable defensively that's fine.  Castro should provide average-ish power and his BA/OBP look to be pretty BABIP dependent but he's another guy who gets 600+ PA's a year. After that I have the awful Rays 2b platoon and hoepfully Robertson plays some SS to provide some possible cover there as well.

Outfield: Lorenzo Cain, Avisail Garcia, Bradley Zimmer, Matt Joyce, Steve Pearce, Jacoby Ellsbury, Anthony Alford, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Oscar Mercado, Travis Snider

I like Cain a lot for defense and top of the lineup. I think Avisail can not repeat last year's ridiculous numbers and still be a solid corner guy. Zimmer is a wild card with upside, Joyce had surprisingly strong numbers last year and is a starter again, he's worst case the good side of a platoon. Pearce is probably best case the weak side of the platoon but that's why I took him. I think Alford is way too good for the Jays to keep down long, but we'll see. I think those Nieuwenhuis and Mercado guys are really players. Travis Snider is the best and worst case can provide fantastic clubhouse meat platters.

Starters: Marcus Stroman, Lance McCullers, Drew Pomeranz, Aaron Sanchez, Matt Harvey, Jimmy Nelson, Robert Stephenson, Daniel Gossett, Hector Velazquez, Mike Wright, Roenis Elias, Taylor Guerrieri, Brett Anderson

I took Stroman as my "safe" choice, since he's been over 200 IP the last two seasons and no real injury fears, so he promptly developed shoulder tightness. Doesn't sound like he'll miss more than a start or two. My other "risky" Jays pick meanwhile, Sanchez, is breezing through spring training with no issues and if he's anywhere close to where he was in 2016 is a lot better than my #4. I love McCullers upside but he's not shown he can go deep in games really. Pomeranz will be good and then he'll be hurt and then he'll be good again and then he'll be hurt again. Harvey is getting lots of preseason love, we'll see how he looks in real games. Nelson was great for me last year, I hope he can provide 15-20 start cover for when one of my first 5 gets hurt. Stephenson is in a rotation battle with a bunch of nobodies and should get a good shot. The rest of the guys are nobodies who may get some starts at some point or may end up as bullpen guys or most likely will pitch some innings and get lit the #### up and I'll never think of them again.

Relievers:  Justin Wilson (L), Ryan Buchter (L), Brett Cecil (L), Jeurys Familia (R), Fernando Rodney (R), A.J. Ramos (R), Danny Barnes (R), Tim Mayza (L), Mike Dunn (L), Tony Sipp (L), Brad Keller (R), John Axford (R), Al Alburquerque (R)

I like the first 7 a lot. I've been caught without lefties here before and found them hard to acquire, so I overcompensated with my first three picks being lefties, then switched to a bunch of high-k right handers. The rest of the guys are a mix of Blue Jays and more lefties, hopefully a couple of them step up for when a couple of the seven guys I actually like implode. If a bunch of left handers are good, I'll have some trade bait.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I've had enough beers to make this palatable:

Catcher: Wilson Ramos, Manny Pina, Jesus Sucre

I usually take more than three catchers and I maybe should have this year as well but it seems to me that Ramos and Pina are both the number one guys in their spots based on what I've read. Both are capable of being decent offensive options, Pina was pretty good defensively last season and Ramos was in 14/15/16, so I'm assuming the poor numbers there are injury/playing time related. Sucre is just Ramos insurance to hopefully insure PA's. 

Corner IF: Paul Goldschmidt (1B), Jose Ramirez (3B), Austin Riley, Rio Ruiz, Vlad Guerrero Jr.

I used my first two picks here then did absolutely nothing to back them up. I kind of have the mentality that if one of them gets hurt, I'm ####ed anyway, so I focused everywhere else. I don't have much fear of either guy busting, both seem like "high floor" guys and safe picks, so hopefully that safety pays off.

Middle IF: Paul Dejong (SS), Starlin Castro (2B), Daniel Robertson, Chad Pinder, Joey Wendle, Ronny Rodriguez

I feel better about the Dejong pick after his extension, they're obviously nicely committed to him now. If he repeats 90% of last years numbers and is capable defensively that's fine.  Castro should provide average-ish power and his BA/OBP look to be pretty BABIP dependent but he's another guy who gets 600+ PA's a year. After that I have the awful Rays 2b platoon and hoepfully Robertson plays some SS to provide some possible cover there as well.

Outfield: Lorenzo Cain, Avisail Garcia, Bradley Zimmer, Matt Joyce, Steve Pearce, Jacoby Ellsbury, Anthony Alford, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Oscar Mercado, Travis Snider

I like Cain a lot for defense and top of the lineup. I think Avisail can not repeat last year's ridiculous numbers and still be a solid corner guy. Zimmer is a wild card with upside, Joyce had surprisingly strong numbers last year and is a starter again, he's worst case the good side of a platoon. Pearce is probably best case the weak side of the platoon but that's why I took him. I think Alford is way too good for the Jays to keep down long, but we'll see. I think those Nieuwenhuis and Mercado guys are really players. Travis Snider is the best and worst case can provide fantastic clubhouse meat platters.

Starters: Marcus Stroman, Lance McCullers, Drew Pomeranz, Aaron Sanchez, Matt Harvey, Jimmy Nelson, Robert Stephenson, Daniel Gossett, Hector Velazquez, Mike Wright, Roenis Elias, Taylor Guerrieri, Brett Anderson

I took Stroman as my "safe" choice, since he's been over 200 IP the last two seasons and no real injury fears, so he promptly developed shoulder tightness. Doesn't sound like he'll miss more than a start or two. My other "risky" Jays pick meanwhile, Sanchez, is breezing through spring training with no issues and if he's anywhere close to where he was in 2016 is a lot better than my #4. I love McCullers upside but he's not shown he can go deep in games really. Pomeranz will be good and then he'll be hurt and then he'll be good again and then he'll be hurt again. Harvey is getting lots of preseason love, we'll see how he looks in real games. Nelson was great for me last year, I hope he can provide 15-20 start cover for when one of my first 5 gets hurt. Stephenson is in a rotation battle with a bunch of nobodies and should get a good shot. The rest of the guys are nobodies who may get some starts at some point or may end up as bullpen guys or most likely will pitch some innings and get lit the #### up and I'll never think of them again.

Relievers:  Justin Wilson (L), Ryan Buchter (L), Brett Cecil (L), Jeurys Familia (R), Fernando Rodney (R), A.J. Ramos (R), Danny Barnes (R), Tim Mayza (L), Mike Dunn (L), Tony Sipp (L), Brad Keller (R), John Axford (R), Al Alburquerque (R)

I like the first 7 a lot. I've been caught without lefties here before and found them hard to acquire, so I overcompensated with my first three picks being lefties, then switched to a bunch of high-k right handers. The rest of the guys are a mix of Blue Jays and more lefties, hopefully a couple of them step up for when a couple of the seven guys I actually like implode. If a bunch of left handers are good, I'll have some trade bait.

 

No offense but this is absolutely brutal.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 0:28 AM, Frostillicus said:

This is pretty good, assuming Paul DeJong is a real person.  I looked at Robertson 100 times and didn't pull the trigger since his downside is 0 ABs.

:coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not listing my team, just know it stinks.  :thumbup:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, Frostillicus said:

next up for me would have been OF Willy Garcia, CHW

Released yesterday by the Sux. :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

Released yesterday by the Sux. :lmao: 

That's why I didn't draft him.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe the Rays are stealing the tandem starter strategy in the big leagues.

:coffee:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 0:39 PM, scoobus said:

So... Fantrax?

 

On 3/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, Super Nintendo Chalmers said:

I can help input if given access 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember TRE used to set it up, not sure who has access anymore to set it up.  @rodg12 maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scoobus said:

I remember TRE used to set it up, not sure who has access anymore to set it up.  @rodg12 maybe?

Hopping on a plane for vacation to Florida for a week. League has been activated, may need to change categories so it’s not a premium league unless somebody wants to pay for it again. Previous comishes can enter teams this week if they want. I’ll do what I can to get them in the week after.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quiet lazy Monday, so here's the wrap. Expected starters bolded(400+ PAs) , key backups italicized (200+ PAs)

CA: Evan Gattis (HOU), Travis D'Arnaud (NYM), Jett Bandy (MIL). Pat Mazeika (NYM), Jose Lobaton (NYM)

Feel pretty good here at a thin position. It comes down to Gattis getting enough starts to be serviceable defensively, and should that happen, this should be a position of strength. D'arnaud splits time and gets hurt, but hopefully 300+ PAs. Bandy has a chance to make the squad with Vogt hurting.

1B: Jose Abreu (CWS), Adam Lind (NYY)

Abreu's solid, not spectacular, but a nice anchor with good overall hitting, doubles, HRs and decent OBP.  Who knows where Lind ends up, Yanks not exactly the ideal spot. 

2B: Jonathan Schoop (BAL), Eric Sogard (MIL), Chase Utley (LAD), Gavin Checchini (NYM), Keston Hiura (MIL)

Schoop has looked to his pre-fatgiued days at end of last season  should have very good defense (A+ range last year).. Sogard should get 200-300PAs and Utley should get a couple hundy with ####ty defense around the horn.  Checchini's got a chance to log some PAs as well with the Mets hardly rolling out Joe Morgan at 2B

SS: Marcus Semien (OAK), Freddy Galvis (SD), Ildemaro Vargas 

Should be very solid defensively, and serviceable as a #8 hitter offensively - drafted the same duo last year (as I did Schoop, as well).

3B: Adrian Beltre (TEX), Jedd Gyorko (STL)

Trying for one more great year in the face of father time for Beltre. Gyorko's a solid backup here, and may be eligible at other positions with ok OBP and some pop.

Outfield: Michael Conforto (NYM), Jackie Bradley Jr. (BOS), Michael Brantley (CLE), Nicky Delmonico (CWS), Ben Gamel (SEA), Boog Powell (OAK), Ryan Cordell (CWS), D.J. Stewart (BAL), Franchy Cordero (SDP)

Biggest risk/reward group, also biggest mixed bag so far. Early returns are looking good for Brantley and Conforto as to being on or ahead of schedule, but the risk is certainly there. Delmonico was looking nice but strained his shoulder (thought it was a dislocation, seems less severe than that) and Gamel is already out for 6 weeks. Cordell and even Franchy Cordero are really pushing for some time (and Cordell may see it if Delmonico ends up out for a while)... a lot of uncertainty here. 

 

Bold = starters w/ bulk of innings    italic = likely needed depth

SP: Clayton Kershaw (LAD), Aaron Nola (PHI), Dylan Bundy (BAL), Matt Shoemaker (STL), Jason Vargas (NYM), Ty Blach (SFG), Jeremy Hellickson (FA), Austin Pruitt (TAM), Brock Stewart (LAD), Fernando Romero (CWS), Zack Little (CWS)

Bundy looked solid today, and if my top three perform up to expectations (especially if either Nola or Bunday really put it together in addition to a Kershaw-like season), then it's Kershaw, Nola Bundy and pray for rain.  I assume Hellickson will land somewhere to pitch terrible innings.  Shoemaker keeps giving up bombs, as does Vargas. Blach could become my #4 pretty easily, especially in that park. 

CL: David Robertson (NYY), Sean Doolittle (WAS) RP: Sergio Romo (TAM), Kelvin Herrera (KCR), Dan Otero (CLE), Cory Gearrin (SFG), Alex Wilson (DET), Gregory Infante (CWS), Wilmer Font (LAD), A.J. Shugel (PIT), Cody Anderson (CLE), Edgar Santana (PIT), Evan Scribner (FA)

Feel pretty good about this relief crew. It's deep, has guys with proven experience and very good years - but always a crapshoot.  Have some numbers to work with.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koya said:

Quiet lazy Monday...

Obviously

:mellow:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doctor Detroit said:

Obviously

:mellow:

Finished working. Well, petered out.

Lazing with the cats, good time to put on the Orioles spring training game and check up on who on my team is dead or released. 

Schoooooooop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Doug B said:

7.17 (161): 3B Moustakas, Mike FA

Dude will start somewhere.

Phew! Finally signed back with KC ... I missed the news from Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Phew! Finally signed back with KC ... I missed the news from Saturday.

Billy Wagner retired, also, btw

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Phew! Finally signed back with KC ... I missed the news from Saturday.

For a third or something (and only one year) than that which had been offered last year.

Ouch.  

 

This is the year the musical chairs music stopped for the FAs out there.  The MLBPA really screwed the pooch on their last negotiation, after having been by far the most successful of the unions in sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was looking at my late round picks and a whole lot of "optioned to AAA", and "designated for assignment" and "cleared waivers".  So I stopped looking.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eephus said:

This is probably the only thread where this matters but here's an update on Rule 5 guys

I spend too much time looking up Google News for Tyler Kinley ("making an impression") and Zac Rosscup ("1-for-5 against lefties...righties hitting 0.412 against him")

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Bogart said:

I spend too much time looking up Google News for Tyler Kinley ("making an impression") and Zac Rosscup ("1-for-5 against lefties...righties hitting 0.412 against him")

Maybe it's the three whiskeys and half a beer, but this had me almost falling off the bar stool my friend. 

 

Edited by Koya
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Koya said:

Maybe it's the three whiskeys and half a beer, but this had me almost falling off the bar stool my friend. 

 

Three whiskeys, two beers and a shot. Still funny. 

:wastedbanana: 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2018 at 7:20 AM, Kraft... said:

27.19 David Phelps, RP SEA

@Arsenal of Doom

Tommy John Surgery

:deadbanana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Tommy John Surgery

:deadbanana:

yep saw that, one down :kicksrock: 

second year in a row I've lost a P before the season even started to the TJ <_< 

Edited by Kraft...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 9:09 AM, Eephus said:

50.xx Kevin Quackenbush  RP  CIN

0 ER in 8 IP so far this spring with 12/3 K/BB ratio

#yearofthequack

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to pay something for this? $3 or whatever? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.