1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 944
Roll subtotal: 944
Roll total: 944

this one too

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, scoobus said:

Oh good question, never thought about that.  We could either say if you draft him you get both his hitter and pitcher players that eventually come out (assuming WIS separates them), or we could draft him as a hitter and pitcher separately.  I'd vote for option 1; he's like a super player.

I don’t know if it’s posdible to play someone as both a hitter and a pitcher in WIS. We knight gave to specify that whoever drafts him only gets him as a hitter or a pitcher. However, because we don’t play until after the season, you could wait and see how he performs and decide which you prefer. 

I do know that I am not a fan of having two instances of a player iat all. 

9 hours ago, SoCalBroncoFan said:

I don’t know if it’s posdible to play someone as both a hitter and a pitcher in WIS. We knight gave to specify that whoever drafts him only gets him as a hitter or a pitcher. However, because we don’t play until after the season, you could wait and see how he performs and decide which you prefer. 

I do know that I am not a fan of having two instances of a player iat all. 

Why shouldn’t you be able to use him as both a hitter and a pitcher though? The Angels are.

1 person likes this

Why shouldn’t you be able to use him as both a hitter and a pitcher though? The Angels are.

I don’t think the sim is built for it. You can’t pitch position players, even if you just want to save innings, and you can’t pinch hit with pitchers. 

I have no problem with allowing it if the sim is built for it, I just don’t think it is. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalBroncoFan said:

I don’t think the sim is built for it. You can’t pitch position players, even if you just want to save innings, and you can’t pinch hit with pitchers. 

I have no problem with allowing it if the sim is built for it, I just don’t think it is. 

Yeah, I’m assuming WIS will have him as 2 separate players, a hitter and a pitcher. And I think if you draft him you should get both.

2 people like this

All rolls that have been submitted so far are confirmed.

2 people like this

Just now, scoobus said:

Yeah, I’m assuming WIS will have him as 2 separate players, a hitter and a pitcher. And I think if you draft him you should get both.

Agreed.

2 people like this

Well then <_<

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 195
Roll subtotal: 195
Roll total: 195

Edited by rodg12

8 minutes ago, scoobus said:

This. 

15 minutes ago, scoobus said:

I suspect this is a wrong assumption. WIS is likely to pick one, and you can only use him for that. Look at Babe Ruth 1918.

So, go Ohtani at your peril. My best guess is he'll be a P, but we may not know when we draft.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:03 PM, Koya said:

All pitchers are "graded" by the same metrics - I'd recommend you go to wis.com and sign up for one of their free leagues and you'll at least get some idea of what to expect and you can see the stats they use - but it's basically the raw stats that are most imp.

The way the sim works, as I understand it, is:

A pitch is made, and is judged by the stats of the pitcher vs. those of the batter:

1. Is it a ball or strike?

2. Does the player swing?

3. If no, see #1

4. If yes, do they make contact.

5. If they make contact, where does it go (groundball/fly, and to which position, or is it a HR)

6. That then ties into the defensive metric of where it's hit.

You can read this super nerdy explanation of how the sim works if you're so inclined. Even I don't understand most of it.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=457843&TopicsTimeframe=365

1 person likes this

On 1/26/2018 at 2:21 PM, SoCalBroncoFan said:

When drafting players, think Sabremetrics, slash numbers and NOT counting stats for hitters. (Except plate appearances, you need enough PA’s for a full season at each position.)

When it comes to pitching, starting pitching is more important than anything else in this game. (At least making sure you have enough quality innings to fill out a rotation) As for what to focus on, things this WHIP, .OAV, BB/9, K/9 and a low HR/9 rate are important. 

The sim doesn't care about runs and RBIs at all. Doesn't care about saves either. So, not to spotlight before we draft, but you're likely to see Andrew Miller as a top 10 reliever.

Strikeouts are somewhat meaningful (they help if your D is bad, but don't prevent hits). Similarly, hitter Ks don't matter that much. Stolen bases are much more useful if you have a good success rate.

Draft where guys will play in 2018, not where they're eligible in fantasy. (Dee Gordon probably won't help you at 2B in this format)

3 people like this

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 415
Roll subtotal: 415
Roll total: 415

30 minutes ago, jfranco77 said:

I suspect this is a wrong assumption. WIS is likely to pick one, and you can only use him for that. Look at Babe Ruth 1918.

So, go Ohtani at your peril. My best guess is he'll be a P, but we may not know when we draft.

Even more fun, can’t wait to see where he’s drafted.

21 hours ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

Also, looking for a co-owner in the Serious Biz dynasty baseball league for those who aren't already in that. I'll front the league entry fee for at the least the first year but would split any winnings. Shoot me a PM if interested. 

bump

16 minutes ago, scoobus said:

Even more fun, can’t wait to see where he’s drafted.

Now, if Sim Live is fixed by Oct. 2018, you might be able to use him both ways in Live. But I am not holding my breath.

1 person likes this

I think if you should have to draft him as two separate players (pitcher and hitter), if WIS does in fact have him as 2 separate players.

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 189
Roll subtotal: 189
Roll total: 189

Can't decide if I am happy or sad.

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, the moops said:

I think if you should have to draft him as two separate players (pitcher and hitter), if WIS does in fact have him as 2 separate players.

Why?

Just now, scoobus said:

Why?

:shrug:

Because I like to disagree with you?

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, the moops said:

:shrug:

Because I like to disagree with you?

Luckily it doesn’t look like it matters according to Franco’s best guess, whoever drafts him is at the mercy of WIS.

2 hours ago, SoCalBroncoFan said:

Very, very occasionally ... the sim will take it upon itself to use a pitcher as a pinch-hitter for another pitcher. Has to be a bizarre 18-inning game or something where the bench is depleted.

2 hours ago, jfranco77 said:

I thought that in his early seasons, Babe Ruth was in WIS as both a pitcher and a hitter? Is that not so?

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I thought that in his early seasons, Babe Ruth was in WIS as both a pitcher and a hitter? Is that not so?

This is what I thought, as well.  

PS: Still upset that I never had Ruth in a Sim. :kicksrock: 

I did like that year having Walter Johnson's best year AND Pete Alexander's best year, though.

7 minutes ago, Koya said:
19 minutes ago, Doug B said:

This is what I thought, as well.  

I stand corrected -- just went and checked. Jfranco is right. Babe Ruth 1915-17 is a pitcher only, and after that is a hitter only.

I could've sworn it was different way (way) back when we were first doing these WIS things.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I stand corrected -- just went and checked. Jfranco is right. Babe Ruth 1915-17 is a pitcher only, and after that is a hitter only.

I could've sworn it was different way (way) back when we were first doing these WIS things.

One of the benefits of Live, as you could use whomever you wanted, where you wanted (although defense would be an issue I'd assume, for most pitchers)

6 minutes ago, Doug B said:

As long as I've been playing, it's always been this way. 15-17 pitcher only, 18+ hitter only.

41 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Very, very occasionally ... the sim will take it upon itself to use a pitcher as a pinch-hitter for another pitcher. Has to be a bizarre 18-inning game or something where the bench is depleted.

I tried to use Doc Crandall as a PH in one of the old time sim leagues.  Even when set all my bench hitters to rest, Sparky still wouldn't use Crandall as a PH unless all bats had been used.

What year did we start doing WIS? Has it been 15 years? 

4 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

This should be the ninth year. I have an email for my BTTF V roll in 2015.

Getting there - I think 2004-5 were the first of these drafts... it started with the all time baseball draft, no? 

SIMFISHING - The First and Last Stand of Mr. Harrier

1 person likes this

Just now, Bogart said:

This should be the ninth year. I have an email for my BTTF V roll in 2015.

Oh, we talking BTTF or WIS in general.

Just now, Koya said:

Oh, we talking BTTF or WIS in general.

I was asking about WIS in general, what year was the all time draft that kicked it off? Can't remember any of my team, think I had Bob Gibson :oldunsure: 

13 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

I was asking about WIS in general, what year was the all time draft that kicked it off? Can't remember any of my team, think I had Bob Gibson :oldunsure: 

So we were doing WIS XVI in 2013. Lost my mom in the middle of the draft and everyone was cool enough to pause things and let me catch up. The original All-Time Drafts, All-Time Alphabet Drafts and the like started over at Rotojunkie probably in early to mid 2000s. I have an email from John Franco with all eligible hitters with a title "VD 4 Hitters." ** Email was on 11/05/2004**

Edited by Bogart

I think we did the draft in 2004, WIS in early 2005 for that. 

Lefty Grove was one of my pitchers (did me better in the voting than he did in the SIM, IIRC), A Rod was my SS and I think Griff Jr. was my CF.  Pretty sure I used Memorial Stadium in an homage to my Orioles focused early youth. 

We were drafting WIS III in the fall of 2005. I can remember making picks for that one from an apartment I only lived in for 4 months.

I graduated college in spring of 2003 and I know we hadn't started this yet. So I'm thinking the all-time draft was late 2003 at the earliest, more likely 2004.

you nerds could probably type "whatifsports" into your email search and figure this out pretty easily

Or even easier go to account on WIS and go to user profile. i was late to the game apparently

moopsmoors

2 minutes ago, the moops said:

Or even easier go to account on WIS and go to user profile. i was late to the game apparently

moopsmoors

Unless you're an extreme :nerd: like me and signed up in 2001 before we started doing these drafts. :bag:

1 person likes this