What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BTTF 2018: MLB123746 (1 Viewer)

50 man roster during the season in Fantrax. Take your best 25 and go to war in WIS after the season.
@HellToupee - it's hard to explain, but WIS randomly designates a bunch of players AAA eligible. All you need to know is that it's likely 3-8 of your players can be AAA eligible adding to the 25 man roster.

Its safe to assume you'll likely get 30 players.  If you get 30 eligible seasons out of your 50 picks, you are also probably ahead of the game already.

Draft time is over. Time. For. Extraction. 

@HellToupee - it's hard to explain, but WIS randomly designates a bunch of players AAA eligible. All you need to know is that it's likely 3-8 of your players can be AAA eligible adding to the 25 man roster.

Its safe to assume you'll likely get 30 players.  If you get 30 eligible seasons out of your 50 picks, you are also probably ahead of the game already.

Draft time is over. Time. For. Extraction. 
Even with AAA, he's not going to have enough IP

Post-Draft Team Review:

Catcher: Alex Avila (L), Kevin Plawecki (R), Chris Herrmann (L), Kyle Farmer (R), John Ryan Murphy (R)

Avila and Plawecki should both be slated for significant ABs. Herrmann and Murphy are both in the D-Backs system so if Avila gets hurt either or both could end up getting some time. Farmer could also end up getting ABs if Grandal gets moved by LA, as he could inherit the back-up role. 

Corner IF: Kyle Seager (L), Greg Bird (L), Cory Spangenberg (L), Tyler Austin (R)

Not a lot of depth at these positions, which is great since Bird has yet to put together anything close to a complete season. 

Middle IF: Corey Seager (L), Robinson Cano (L), Pat Valaika (R), Brendan Rodgers (R), Fernando Tatis Jr. (R), Jace Peterson (L), Garrett Hampson (R)

Feel good about this group, though Seager and Valaika are already dealing with injuries that could be problematic for a while (elbow, oblique). How much big league time do Rodgers and Tatis get? Could be a big factor in how my team does. 

Outfield: Manuel Margot (R), David Dahl (L), Jason Heyward (L), Jorge Soler (R), Keon Broxton (R), Jabari Blash (R), Jordan Patterson (L), Billy McKinney (L), Rusney Castillo (R)

Margot and Heyward are probably the only ones (injuries aside) likely to get full season ABs, though Dahl and Soler could easily be in the 400 AB+ range depending on how they play. Outside of those probably just hoping for some platoon caliber ABs.

Starters: Chris Archer (R), Jon Gray (R), Blake Snell (L), Luiz Gohara (L), Hyun-Jin Ryu (L), Tyler Chatwood (R), Zack Wheeler (R), Tyler Anderson (L), Kyle Freeland (L), Michel Baez (R)

I like the depth and upside of this group, though I'd love to have a more consistent track record ourside of Archer. 

Relivers: Tommy Khanle (R), Michael Feliz (R), Bryan Shaw (R), Joe Kelly (R), Jerry Blevins (L), Oliver Drake (R), Adam Liberatore (L), Daniel Winkler (R), Paul Sewald (L), Giovanny Gallegos (R), Josh Smoker (L), Silvino Bracho (R), Chasen Shreve (L), Scott Oberg (R), Felix Pena (R)

Similar to the starters, like the depth and feel good about innings but lack a reliable standout. Will be hoping a couple of these guys break out with good/lucky seasons. 

Pick I'd most like to do-over: Probably Dahl. He has less than half a good season in the majors and a track record of not being healthy. I lost a whole season with him last year so I almost felt compelled to draft him again to see if I could get some payoff. Others said they were going to take him around the same time so it wasn't really a reach, just one that has the potential to hurt all year. 

Pick I feel best about: Tatis Jr. in round 36, easily. Yes, he's only 19 and it's possible that he doesn't even see the majors. On the other hand, he's killing Spring Training pitching and it's not like we haven't seen young players hit in the majors before. The Padres are also likely to be terrible and he'll give the team and fan base something to be excited about when he comes up. I don't think he'll break camp with the team but it wouldn't surprise me to see him up by May either. 

Rossell Herrera and Mike Ohlman were my final two on a list.  Rossell was in debate for the last pick. I don't even remember Ohlman fully, think he's some backup depth catcher that likely won't smell the majors... but then again will Jose Lobaton? (well, maybe)

I've generally moved away from drafting prospects in this format.  In most cases, they either spend the full year in the minors or get a September call-up that's unusable in the sim.  There's potentially high reward if they get an early call-up but there's a very high chance they'll be wasted picks.

Only 2 of my 50 picks have no MLB experience yet.  Andrew Suarez is a 25 year old pitcher with a half season of AAA ball under his belt.  Luke Bard is a 27 year old Rule 5 pick who lost two years to injury but ended 2017 in AAA.

I've generally moved away from drafting prospects in this format.  In most cases, they either spend the full year in the minors or get a September call-up that's unusable in the sim.  There's potentially high reward if they get an early call-up but there's a very high chance they'll be wasted picks.

Only 2 of my 50 picks have no MLB experience yet.  Andrew Suarez is a 25 year old pitcher with a half season of AAA ball under his belt.  Luke Bard is a 27 year old Rule 5 pick who lost two years to injury but ended 2017 in AAA.
Yep. Rule 5 guys can be nice because they have to stay on the roster all year. Unless the team finds a phantom injury and sends them down for rehab.

I've had enough beers to make this palatable:

Catcher: Wilson Ramos, Manny Pina, Jesus Sucre

I usually take more than three catchers and I maybe should have this year as well but it seems to me that Ramos and Pina are both the number one guys in their spots based on what I've read. Both are capable of being decent offensive options, Pina was pretty good defensively last season and Ramos was in 14/15/16, so I'm assuming the poor numbers there are injury/playing time related. Sucre is just Ramos insurance to hopefully insure PA's. 

Corner IF: Paul Goldschmidt (1B), Jose Ramirez (3B), Austin Riley, Rio Ruiz, Vlad Guerrero Jr.

I used my first two picks here then did absolutely nothing to back them up. I kind of have the mentality that if one of them gets hurt, I'm ####ed anyway, so I focused everywhere else. I don't have much fear of either guy busting, both seem like "high floor" guys and safe picks, so hopefully that safety pays off.

Middle IF: Paul Dejong (SS), Starlin Castro (2B), Daniel Robertson, Chad Pinder, Joey Wendle, Ronny Rodriguez

I feel better about the Dejong pick after his extension, they're obviously nicely committed to him now. If he repeats 90% of last years numbers and is capable defensively that's fine.  Castro should provide average-ish power and his BA/OBP look to be pretty BABIP dependent but he's another guy who gets 600+ PA's a year. After that I have the awful Rays 2b platoon and hoepfully Robertson plays some SS to provide some possible cover there as well.

Outfield: Lorenzo Cain, Avisail Garcia, Bradley Zimmer, Matt Joyce, Steve Pearce, Jacoby Ellsbury, Anthony Alford, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Oscar Mercado, Travis Snider

I like Cain a lot for defense and top of the lineup. I think Avisail can not repeat last year's ridiculous numbers and still be a solid corner guy. Zimmer is a wild card with upside, Joyce had surprisingly strong numbers last year and is a starter again, he's worst case the good side of a platoon. Pearce is probably best case the weak side of the platoon but that's why I took him. I think Alford is way too good for the Jays to keep down long, but we'll see. I think those Nieuwenhuis and Mercado guys are really players. Travis Snider is the best and worst case can provide fantastic clubhouse meat platters.

Starters: Marcus Stroman, Lance McCullers, Drew Pomeranz, Aaron Sanchez, Matt Harvey, Jimmy Nelson, Robert Stephenson, Daniel Gossett, Hector Velazquez, Mike Wright, Roenis Elias, Taylor Guerrieri, Brett Anderson

I took Stroman as my "safe" choice, since he's been over 200 IP the last two seasons and no real injury fears, so he promptly developed shoulder tightness. Doesn't sound like he'll miss more than a start or two. My other "risky" Jays pick meanwhile, Sanchez, is breezing through spring training with no issues and if he's anywhere close to where he was in 2016 is a lot better than my #4. I love McCullers upside but he's not shown he can go deep in games really. Pomeranz will be good and then he'll be hurt and then he'll be good again and then he'll be hurt again. Harvey is getting lots of preseason love, we'll see how he looks in real games. Nelson was great for me last year, I hope he can provide 15-20 start cover for when one of my first 5 gets hurt. Stephenson is in a rotation battle with a bunch of nobodies and should get a good shot. The rest of the guys are nobodies who may get some starts at some point or may end up as bullpen guys or most likely will pitch some innings and get lit the #### up and I'll never think of them again.

Relievers:  Justin Wilson (L), Ryan Buchter (L), Brett Cecil (L), Jeurys Familia (R), Fernando Rodney (R), A.J. Ramos (R), Danny Barnes (R), Tim Mayza (L), Mike Dunn (L), Tony Sipp (L), Brad Keller (R), John Axford (R), Al Alburquerque (R)

I like the first 7 a lot. I've been caught without lefties here before and found them hard to acquire, so I overcompensated with my first three picks being lefties, then switched to a bunch of high-k right handers. The rest of the guys are a mix of Blue Jays and more lefties, hopefully a couple of them step up for when a couple of the seven guys I actually like implode. If a bunch of left handers are good, I'll have some trade bait.

I've had enough beers to make this palatable:

Catcher: Wilson Ramos, Manny Pina, Jesus Sucre

I usually take more than three catchers and I maybe should have this year as well but it seems to me that Ramos and Pina are both the number one guys in their spots based on what I've read. Both are capable of being decent offensive options, Pina was pretty good defensively last season and Ramos was in 14/15/16, so I'm assuming the poor numbers there are injury/playing time related. Sucre is just Ramos insurance to hopefully insure PA's. 

Corner IF: Paul Goldschmidt (1B), Jose Ramirez (3B), Austin Riley, Rio Ruiz, Vlad Guerrero Jr.

I used my first two picks here then did absolutely nothing to back them up. I kind of have the mentality that if one of them gets hurt, I'm ####ed anyway, so I focused everywhere else. I don't have much fear of either guy busting, both seem like "high floor" guys and safe picks, so hopefully that safety pays off.

Middle IF: Paul Dejong (SS), Starlin Castro (2B), Daniel Robertson, Chad Pinder, Joey Wendle, Ronny Rodriguez

I feel better about the Dejong pick after his extension, they're obviously nicely committed to him now. If he repeats 90% of last years numbers and is capable defensively that's fine.  Castro should provide average-ish power and his BA/OBP look to be pretty BABIP dependent but he's another guy who gets 600+ PA's a year. After that I have the awful Rays 2b platoon and hoepfully Robertson plays some SS to provide some possible cover there as well.

Outfield: Lorenzo Cain, Avisail Garcia, Bradley Zimmer, Matt Joyce, Steve Pearce, Jacoby Ellsbury, Anthony Alford, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Oscar Mercado, Travis Snider

I like Cain a lot for defense and top of the lineup. I think Avisail can not repeat last year's ridiculous numbers and still be a solid corner guy. Zimmer is a wild card with upside, Joyce had surprisingly strong numbers last year and is a starter again, he's worst case the good side of a platoon. Pearce is probably best case the weak side of the platoon but that's why I took him. I think Alford is way too good for the Jays to keep down long, but we'll see. I think those Nieuwenhuis and Mercado guys are really players. Travis Snider is the best and worst case can provide fantastic clubhouse meat platters.

Starters: Marcus Stroman, Lance McCullers, Drew Pomeranz, Aaron Sanchez, Matt Harvey, Jimmy Nelson, Robert Stephenson, Daniel Gossett, Hector Velazquez, Mike Wright, Roenis Elias, Taylor Guerrieri, Brett Anderson

I took Stroman as my "safe" choice, since he's been over 200 IP the last two seasons and no real injury fears, so he promptly developed shoulder tightness. Doesn't sound like he'll miss more than a start or two. My other "risky" Jays pick meanwhile, Sanchez, is breezing through spring training with no issues and if he's anywhere close to where he was in 2016 is a lot better than my #4. I love McCullers upside but he's not shown he can go deep in games really. Pomeranz will be good and then he'll be hurt and then he'll be good again and then he'll be hurt again. Harvey is getting lots of preseason love, we'll see how he looks in real games. Nelson was great for me last year, I hope he can provide 15-20 start cover for when one of my first 5 gets hurt. Stephenson is in a rotation battle with a bunch of nobodies and should get a good shot. The rest of the guys are nobodies who may get some starts at some point or may end up as bullpen guys or most likely will pitch some innings and get lit the #### up and I'll never think of them again.

Relievers:  Justin Wilson (L), Ryan Buchter (L), Brett Cecil (L), Jeurys Familia (R), Fernando Rodney (R), A.J. Ramos (R), Danny Barnes (R), Tim Mayza (L), Mike Dunn (L), Tony Sipp (L), Brad Keller (R), John Axford (R), Al Alburquerque (R)

I like the first 7 a lot. I've been caught without lefties here before and found them hard to acquire, so I overcompensated with my first three picks being lefties, then switched to a bunch of high-k right handers. The rest of the guys are a mix of Blue Jays and more lefties, hopefully a couple of them step up for when a couple of the seven guys I actually like implode. If a bunch of left handers are good, I'll have some trade bait.

No offense but this is absolutely brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread