What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (13 Viewers)

no, this is a link to facts

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

what you linked was an anti-gun site's twisting information to suit their needs  
Nothing in that link has statistics on officer shootings.   More deflection.   It is a verified fact (as shown by multiple sources) that in 2016 LEO's killed in the line of duty were killed by assault weapons in 1 in 4 instances.   Prior to that, it is a verified fact that it was 1 in 5.   Instead of being concerned about the effect of assault weapons and gun violence on our police, you lie and deflect.   It's embarrassing for you.  Truly.  

fish if you want to look into this all in a reasonable and logical way .. you have to ask yourself what's causing all the deaths in the US - and rank them, and attack them accordingly (if life is what matters)

when you get all the way down to violence that include people choosing a gun ... which guns are used? you know the answer - its not semi-auto rifles

ask WHO is doing these shootings ...... pheasant hunters? trap shooters? turkey hunters? deer hunters? no .... and you know that too. You also know the people doing these things are also involved in domestic violence and drugs and other crimes when the guns are used. Breaking laws already 

your anti-gun side somehow thinks that by passing laws that shackle the people who DO NOT do these crimes, it'll stop the people who ignore laws and want to commit violence

its an unbelievable view to be honest 
Gun violence is reduced in states with stricter gun regulations.   Why is that?   

fish if you want to look into this all in a reasonable and logical way .. you have to ask yourself what's causing all the deaths in the US - and rank them, and attack them accordingly (if life is what matters)

when you get all the way down to violence that include people choosing a gun ... which guns are used? you know the answer - its not semi-auto rifles

ask WHO is doing these shootings ...... pheasant hunters? trap shooters? turkey hunters? deer hunters? no .... and you know that too. You also know the people doing these things are also involved in domestic violence and drugs and other crimes when the guns are used. Breaking laws already 

your anti-gun side somehow thinks that by passing laws that shackle the people who DO NOT do these crimes, it'll stop the people who ignore laws and want to commit violence

its an unbelievable view to be honest 
Do you believe that TSA boarding procedures shackle the people who do not do crimes on planes, and doesn't stop the people who ignore laws and want to commit crimes on planes?

All laws affect people that don't commit crimes, except for laws that regulate what a convicted criminal can or can't do.  That's how laws work.   The argument of "don't adopt laws because criminals don't follow laws, so only law-abiding people are affected" is just another false talking point.  If it were true, states with stricter gun regulation would not show any difference in gun violence from those with looser laws.   But they do, which shows that this narrative is wrong.   

Repeating NRA propaganda does not make it true.   

Do you believe that TSA boarding procedures shackle the people who do not do crimes on planes, and doesn't stop the people who ignore laws and want to commit crimes on planes?
You win. You may charge gun owners no more than $12 for the background check, licensing, training, etc. That's roughly what the TSA charges flyers. And they don't have require a special license or training. Do you pay attention to the pre flight announcements every time the stewardess gives them? 

When I bought my handgun a couple of years ago, I had to pay $5 for the County handgun permit and $15 to the city for the registration. When can I expect my $8 refund?

Nothing in that link has statistics on officer shootings.   More deflection.   It is a verified fact (as shown by multiple sources) that in 2016 LEO's killed in the line of duty were killed by assault weapons in 1 in 4 instances.   Prior to that, it is a verified fact that it was 1 in 5.   Instead of being concerned about the effect of assault weapons and gun violence on our police, you lie and deflect.   It's embarrassing for you.  Truly.  
nothing in your stats showed the true gun crime stats - you wanted to glorify an exceptionally small % to say 1 in 4 ......... why would you do that ?

what were those weapons used? can you list them ? you'll probably not be able to find out 

interesting thought process .... everyone is subjected to the same shackling at airports  ....... fair and equal

with gun laws, you're literally targeting gun owners - not fair, not equal

interesting thought process .... everyone is subjected to the same shackling at airports  ....... fair and equal

with gun laws, you're literally targeting gun owners - not fair, not equal
The TSA doesn't target everyone. It only targets people who want to fly.

Gun regulations don't target everyone. It only targets people who want to own guns. 

And any day now the TSA is going to show up at your property, make you take off your shoes, and confiscate your containers that are 3.4 ounces or more per item.

The TSA doesn't target everyone. It only targets people who want to fly.

Gun regulations don't target everyone. It only targets people who want to own guns. 
if TSA only made muslims go through checkpoints would you be ok with that ? white people rarely commit plane terrorism if ever .... why inconvenience all the other travelers ?

again ... fairly and equally everyone is treated

gun regulations have zero targeting to non-gun owners. Its like when gay marriage was illegal ............. that was actually fair and equal wasn't it? Every man in Arkansas couldn't marry another man, gays and not gays alike, right? Fair and equal ......... except it was determined not to be

if TSA only made muslims go through checkpoints would you be ok with that ? white people rarely commit plane terrorism if ever .... why inconvenience all the other travelers ?

again ... fairly and equally everyone is treated

gun regulations have zero targeting to non-gun owners. Its like when gay marriage was illegal ............. that was actually fair and equal wasn't it? Every man in Arkansas couldn't marry another man, gays and not gays alike, right? Fair and equal ......... except it was determined not to be
I would not be OK if the TSA only made muslims go through checkpoints.

I also would not be OK if the gun regulations only applied to muslims. 

The TSA needs to treat everyone who wants to fly the same, and the gun regulations need to treat everyone who want to own a gun the same. 

Honestly... I think you are trying WAY TOO HARD here to try and make gun owners into victims. 

The TSA needs to treat everyone who wants to fly the same, and the gun regulations need to treat everyone who want to own a gun the same. 

Honestly... I think you are trying WAY TOO HARD here to try and make gun owners into victims. 
It's not making gun owners the victims, it's that too many anti gun people see the only solution (either regulatory or financially) as being on the shoulders of gun owners. They ignore the role that all other things play into the issue (mental health, substance abuse, etc). 

It's removing the tool, but not fixing the problem. Are there still terrorists in the world that want to do harm to the US? We took away their ability to fly planes into our buildings, but the fundamental issue still remains. 

KCitons said:
It's not making gun owners the victims, it's that too many anti gun people see the only solution (either regulatory or financially) as being on the shoulders of gun owners. They ignore the role that all other things play into the issue (mental health, substance abuse, etc). 

It's removing the tool, but not fixing the problem. Are there still terrorists in the world that want to do harm to the US? We took away their ability to fly planes into our buildings, but the fundamental issue still remains. 
When mental health and substance abuse checks are brought up, pro gun reactions are 'do you need mental health evaluations to buy a bottle of wine?' and 'this is the extreme radical left viewpoint that makes it impossible to have any discussions'

KCitons said:

Only people who want to ban guns want to remove the tool. Regulation does not remove the tool. 

As has been said time and time and time again, regulation will effect anyone who wants to participate in that which is being regulated. This is not unique to gun ownership. 

When mental health and substance abuse checks are brought up, pro gun reactions are 'do you need mental health evaluations to buy a bottle of wine?' and 'this is the extreme radical left viewpoint that makes it impossible to have any discussions'
It's not impossible but it does take some effort. 

Should you have a mental health evaluation to buy a bottle of wine? Based on the correlation between alcohol and violence, I would say yes. The alcohol can exacerbate the mental health issue. 

By contrast, does a gun exacerbate the mental health issue?

Only people who want to ban guns want to remove the tool. Regulation does not remove the tool. 

As has been said time and time and time again, regulation will effect anyone who wants to participate in that which is being regulated. This is not unique to gun ownership. 
It wants to remove it from those that would want to shoot other people.

Were you and I are stuck is based on what we think will have a proactive impact on gun deaths. More specifically mass shootings. I still agree with background checks. I don't agree with the training, testing, licensing, and insurance.

How does insurance prevent a mass shooting?

I just felt a desire to buy Levi's that I never had before. That's great marketing. 
Its been a while for me.  Have they finally caught up with the rest of the industry as far as producing "dad bod" lines?  Have they backed off of their opportunistic and ridiculous pricing from the 80's? 

As you can see I have been a Wrangler man for some time.  God bless the relaxed fit.  I am hoping they next come out with the slovenly fit and the slothful fit jean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Should you have a mental health evaluation to buy a bottle of wine? Based on the correlation between alcohol and violence, I would say yes. The alcohol can exacerbate the mental health issue. 

I'm all for mental health checks. I'm all for alcohol restriction too.

I don't have enough information to make a judgement on how alcohol or guns affect mental health issues.

It's just sad to me that any attempt at gun violence control gets deflected onto alcohol or knives or cars or planes or katana swords or something else.

I'm all for mental health checks. I'm all for alcohol restriction too.

I don't have enough information to make a judgement on how alcohol or guns affect mental health issues.

It's just sad to me that any attempt at gun violence control gets deflected onto alcohol or knives or cars or planes or katana swords or something else.
Think about the two bolded statements you just made. 

You admit that you don't have enough information, but you're sad that gun control gets deflected. 

Wouldn't it make sense to understand, and have enough information, to make a good judgement? 

It wants to remove it from those that would want to shoot other people.
I agree. Let's argue about this. I'll be on the side that supports this, and you be on the side that doesn't support it. 

Were you and I are stuck is based on what we think will have a proactive impact on gun deaths. More specifically mass shootings. I still agree with background checks. I don't agree with the training, testing, licensing, and insurance.
I've agreed that what you want will have a proactive impact on gun deaths. 

Where you and I are stuck is based on you believing we can do one, and only one thing, and all the other things we could do that will also have a proactive impact on gun deaths should not be done. I'm for doing anything and everything that can have a proactive impact on gun deaths.

How does insurance prevent a mass shooting?
It doesn't, anymore than car insurance prevents car accidents.

What it does is insure that victims aren't financially screwed. 

Think about the two bolded statements you just made. 

You admit that you don't have enough information, but you're sad that gun control gets deflected. 

Wouldn't it make sense to understand, and have enough information, to make a good judgement? 
I don't understand the exact correlation between mental health issues and alcohol/guns, so I'm not going to make a proclamation one way or another on that particular question.

I fully understand that gun control topics get deflected onto all those other things, and that is sad.

Its been a while for me.  Have they finally caught up with the rest of the industry as far as producing "dad bod" lines?  Have they backed off of their opportunistic and ridiculous pricing from the 80's? 

As you can see I have been a Wrangler man for some time.  God bless the relaxed fit.  I am hoping they next come out with the slovenly fit and the slothful fit jean.
I don't have any answers to your questions.

My desire to buy Levi's is purely political. 

I don't understand the exact correlation between mental health issues and alcohol/guns, so I'm not going to make a proclamation one way or another on that particular question.

I fully understand that gun control topics get deflected onto all those other things, and that is sad.
What you're saying is that you aren't going to take the time to understand the correlation, so that makes you narrow minded when it comes to gun violence. 

I entered gun violence and alcohol into google, 

Alcohol abuse is a major predictor for gun crime.

Suicides accounts for 2/3rd of all gun deaths in this country. A google search of suicide and alcohol returns this article. 

The link between alcohol use and suicide

People with alcoholism are up to 120 times more likely to commit suicide than those who are not dependent on alcohol.
You can search for other things like domestic violence, sexual assault and rape, and other alcohol related deaths. You start to see the role that alcohol plays in violence. 

I would like to see a poll asking how many people committed a crime (violent or non violent) and whether or not they were under the influence of alcohol when it occurred. This could be anything from urinating in public, to simple bar fight. Most of those things wouldn't have happened if they weren't drinking. 

I agree. Let's argue about this. I'll be on the side that supports this, and you be on the side that doesn't support it. 

I've agreed that what you want will have a proactive impact on gun deaths. 

Where you and I are stuck is based on you believing we can do one, and only one thing, and all the other things we could do that will also have a proactive impact on gun deaths should not be done. I'm for doing anything and everything that can have a proactive impact on gun deaths.

It doesn't, anymore than car insurance prevents car accidents.

What it does is insure that victims aren't financially screwed. 
You're for doing things without regard to negative effects. I'm for doing things that are most likely to have a positive impact on preventing shootings. 

Let's talk about car insurance and compensation. If you drive your car into a group of people, what is the expected payout to those victims? Most policies have a max payout per incident. Someone mention that gun owners need to carry a $1 mil umbrella policy. We don't carry that for auto insurance. Insurance covers accidents, not willful criminal acts. The court handles criminal acts. 

Politician Spock said:

but think about what you're saying

in the past 30 years, muslims have made up almost all the terrorists in our country ............ why wouldn't you want to target them and only them? I thought the anti-gun view was gun owners are bad - and by targeting them with laws and restrictions gun violence would drop ? 

when there is a serial killer, do police look at women as much as men? no .... because its rare rare for a woman to be a serial killer. They target the men

this is what I've said all along - target these criminals who are violent, drugs, felons etc ... mentally ill ....... THOSE are the people to target

don't target the tens of millions who do nothing wrong

You're for doing things without regard to negative effects. I'm for doing things that are most likely to have a positive impact on preventing shootings. 

Let's talk about car insurance and compensation. If you drive your car into a group of people, what is the expected payout to those victims? Most policies have a max payout per incident. Someone mention that gun owners need to carry a $1 mil umbrella policy. We don't carry that for auto insurance. Insurance covers accidents, not willful criminal acts. The court handles criminal acts. 
Gun insurance would have to have a max payout as well, or else the insurance companies couldn't manage their risk properly. The amount of what that max would be required by law to be is debatable, I agree. 

What you're saying is that you aren't going to take the time to understand the correlation, so that makes you narrow minded when it comes to gun violence. 

I entered gun violence and alcohol into google, 

Alcohol abuse is a major predictor for gun crime.

Suicides accounts for 2/3rd of all gun deaths in this country. A google search of suicide and alcohol returns this article. 

The link between alcohol use and suicide

You can search for other things like domestic violence, sexual assault and rape, and other alcohol related deaths. You start to see the role that alcohol plays in violence. 

I would like to see a poll asking how many people committed a crime (violent or non violent) and whether or not they were under the influence of alcohol when it occurred. This could be anything from urinating in public, to simple bar fight. Most of those things wouldn't have happened if they weren't drinking. 
Great! Let's prevent alcohol abusers from accessing guns.

but think about what you're saying

in the past 30 years, muslims have made up almost all the terrorists in our country ............ why wouldn't you want to target them and only them? I thought the anti-gun view was gun owners are bad - and by targeting them with laws and restrictions gun violence would drop ? 

when there is a serial killer, do police look at women as much as men? no .... because its rare rare for a woman to be a serial killer. They target the men

this is what I've said all along - target these criminals who are violent, drugs, felons etc ... mentally ill ....... THOSE are the people to target

don't target the tens of millions who do nothing wrong
Because I'm not a racist #######.

And if that's not enough, the government can't discriminate in its regulations based on race. So this whole line of thinking, and whatever your motivation for going down this rabbit hole, is a non-starter, a red herring, or whatever name of ridiculous faulty logic one could call it. 

Same holds true for not being a sexist, and the government not being allowed to discriminate in its regulations based on sex. 

Because I'm not a racist #######.

And if that's not enough, the government can't discriminate in its regulations based on race. So this whole line of thinking, and whatever your motivation for going down this rabbit hole, is a non-starter, a red herring, or whatever name of ridiculous faulty logic one could call it. 

Same holds true for not being a sexist, and the government not being allowed to discriminate in its regulations based on sex. 
its not about racism or sexism or anything like that - its simply recognizing who is committing terrorism and addressing it

anti-gun side wants to target legal, law abiding gun owners, people who hunt, shooting sports, defend themselves and their homes ............. and its rare that any of us is responsible for crimes involving guns

known felons, known criminals, domestic violence, drugs, gangs .... THOSE are the ones that lead to violence using guns most often. The mentally ill.

why not focus on THEM ?

I think everyone would eventually agree to this, even if the presentation of the idea is confusing. 
From what I've read here, everyone will eventually agree to this with the stipulation you also prevent the abusers from getting drivers licenses, skateboards, knives, axes, pencil sharpeners, and bicycles. Oh, and also don't test me, I'm a law abiding gun owner and can't be inconvenienced even if it means saving lives.

If you are still carrying $100,000/$300,000 I would encourage you to get out of the 70's.  You are inadequately insured.  The cost of becoming adequately insured is certainly worth it if you ever find yourself in a lawsuit, at least if you are a homeowner or have retirement assets. 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. 

BTW, the insurance I was talking about would be for accidents in the home or for negligent acts, such as say negligent storage, not for criminal acts.  Of course in some events thee could be both.

its not about racism or sexism or anything like that - its simply recognizing who is committing terrorism and addressing it

anti-gun side wants to target legal, law abiding gun owners, people who hunt, shooting sports, defend themselves and their homes ............. and its rare that any of us is responsible for crimes involving guns

known felons, known criminals, domestic violence, drugs, gangs .... THOSE are the ones that lead to violence using guns most often. The mentally ill.

why not focus on THEM ?
Who has the list of THEM?

I understand completely what you are saying, but I don't see it being at all pragmatic unless you've got a new way if identifying THEM before they do something. Because the ways we have of identifying them either fall way too short, or are way to costly to expand to every potential suspect. 

Who has the list of THEM?

I understand completely what you are saying, but I don't see it being at all pragmatic unless you've got a new way if identifying THEM before they do something. Because the ways we have of identifying them either fall way too short, or are way to costly to expand to every potential suspect. 
who has a list of people trying to board planes with bombs and knives ?

we live in a free society where there is personal responsibility for ones actions ........... there are no laws in the world to stop someone from harming another if they choose to - be it by u-haul truck, airplanes on 9-11, plowing into people with cars, or any number of weapons.

but when you look at all the deaths and you see the consistency of the types of people DOING the crimes ..... why in the world would you pass laws that focus on the types of people that literally almost never do any of the crimes?

that's targeting ... and the goal is not to stop gun crimes at all, I think we can agree on that. The goal is to shackle people who legally own guns who abide laws and just want to hunt, shoot, self protection etc. 

I'm all for anyone who owns a weapon that can be used in a crime/assault to have insurance. Guns, knives, ball bats ............. anything that can be used as a weapon people need to carry a few hundred bucks insurance every 6 months. 

Deal ?

who has a list of people trying to board planes with bombs and knives ?
If we had one, then we wouldn't need plane regulations. Same holds true for gun regulations. 

we live in a free society where there is personal responsibility for ones actions ........... there are no laws in the world to stop someone from harming another if they choose to - be it by u-haul truck, airplanes on 9-11, plowing into people with cars, or any number of weapons.

but when you look at all the deaths and you see the consistency of the types of people DOING the crimes ..... why in the world would you pass laws that focus on the types of people that literally almost never do any of the crimes?

that's targeting ... and the goal is not to stop gun crimes at all, I think we can agree on that. The goal is to shackle people who legally own guns who abide laws and just want to hunt, shoot, self protection etc. 
Again, give us the THEM list, and we can avoid regulations. This holds true for everything we regulated. If we knew who was going to commit crimes before they do, things would be so much more simple, I agree. Unfortunately, that idealistic, and not realistic. 

If we had one, then we wouldn't need plane regulations. Same holds true for gun regulations. 

17 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:
well sure - you'd not need ANY restrictions on anyone for anything

1 law - don't hurt someone else

done 

Again, give us the THEM list, and we can avoid regulations. This holds true for everything we regulated. If we knew who was going to commit crimes before they do, things would be so much more simple, I agree. Unfortunately, that idealistic, and not realistic. 
give me a list of everyone who drove under the influence of alcohol or drugs etc last year. if you can't .... then we need massive new restrictive and shackling laws on driving don't we ? but we don't .... because in a free society the element of personal responsibility exists 

our entire Constitution was written on liberties and freedoms wasn't it ? would you give them all up for some fairy tale promise ?  Look, banning scary looking guns isn't going to do a damn thing. You know it, I know it. 

Some counties make it so you can’t  buy wine or any other alchohol. Some counties have made ordinances to restrict the sale of medicinal pot within their boundaries. 

If a county/township/city passed an ordinance to exclude gun ownership or even sales it would be challenged. Even if it was 100% approved by the community, a third party like the NRA would file suit. So it isn’t an apt comparison. Lots of places would probably vote to ban certainguns or the sale of guns if they could.

Some counties make it so you can’t  buy wine or any other alchohol. Some counties have made ordinances to restrict the sale of medicinal pot within their boundaries. 

If a county/township/city passed an ordinance to exclude gun ownership or even sales it would be challenged. Even if it was 100% approved by the community, a third party like the NRA would file suit. So it isn’t an apt comparison. Lots of places would probably vote to ban certainguns or the sale of guns if they could.
I suggest you look at the individual states and cities. You will see that there are already regulations in place. Start with Hawaii. Anti gun people act like everyone is able to buy guns out of a vending machine. If they can pass laws, why do other states have problems? I already mentioned the process I have to go through in my city to buy a handgun. There are two background checks (one by the county and one by the city) the handgun is registered. It's happening on a state and city level. Where the NRA usually gets involved is when the Federal government attempts to apply laws that they feel fly in the face of the 2nd Amendment. The anti gun crowd is okay with states and cities passing stronger laws, but they aren't as accepting when others don't.

Gun insurance would have to have a max payout as well, or else the insurance companies couldn't manage their risk properly. The amount of what that max would be required by law to be is debatable, I agree. 
What is the max payout for a dui victims family? Payout by insurance, not awarded in a wrongful death civil case.

If you are still carrying $100,000/$300,000 I would encourage you to get out of the 70's.  You are inadequately insured.  The cost of becoming adequately insured is certainly worth it if you ever find yourself in a lawsuit, at least if you are a homeowner or have retirement assets. 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. 

BTW, the insurance I was talking about would be for accidents in the home or for negligent acts, such as say negligent storage, not for criminal acts.  Of course in some events thee could be both.
You preface by saying it would be for negligent acts in the home. But doesn't homeowners insurance already cover this? Failure to shovel and icy sidewalk comes to mind.

But that's not what most anti gun people see the insurance doing. They want to attempt to make the family of victims (of mass shootings) whole. That's just not possible. Even if a gun owner carried a $1 mil umbrella policy, it wouldn't be enough to cover much after the first victim. What do we do about victims #2-50?

@Politician Spock said "What it does is insure that victims aren't financially screwed".  How does that work when you have multiple victims?

I think the anti gun crowd is blurring the lines between criminal and civil punishment. We have laws that address when someone misuses a gun, or intentionally uses a gun to harm other people. That punishment can include the death penalty. Do we have any other insurance that people need to carry in order to cover them in case they commit a crime? Not that I am aware of. Because we assume that people will abide by the laws and when they don't, the criminal justice system determines the punishment. 

In my case, as I said when I raised the matter days or weeks ago, my homeowners policy does not need any riders or exclusions for gun ownership.  I disclosed and was told I could purchase no extra, nor would I be excluded.  I tried for an umbrella policy but could not obtain it.  I found that weird.  I do have an umbrella policy on my autos.

I presume if I searched the market I could find some insurance specifically for my weapons.  I thus far have not bothered as I keep mine more than carefully.  Also in the past the insurance I found was for theft or breakage and not for liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
well sure - you'd not need ANY restrictions on anyone for anything

1 law - don't hurt someone else

done 

give me a list of everyone who drove under the influence of alcohol or drugs etc last year. if you can't .... then we need massive new restrictive and shackling laws on driving don't we ? but we don't .... because in a free society the element of personal responsibility exists 

our entire Constitution was written on liberties and freedoms wasn't it ? would you give them all up for some fairy tale promise ?  Look, banning scary looking guns isn't going to do a damn thing. You know it, I know it. 
I'm not opposed to increased alcohol regulation, and punishments. 

What is the max payout for a dui victims family? Payout by insurance, not awarded in a wrongful death civil case.
Courts are not limited in awarding victims to the amount of insurance coverage the plaintiff carried. they can award more. The lawfully required minimum only insures there is at least some minum available to the victims. 

Cool discussion of alcohol, completely racist and false statements about terrorism, levi's and insurance.   Anything to deflect from gun violence, huh?  

Most domestic terrorists are white right wing extremists, contrary to SC's ignorant and racist postings.  

On Wednesday, the Anti-Defamation League released a report finding that attackers with ties to right-wing extremist movements killed at least 50 people in 2018. That was close to the total number of Americans killed by domestic extremists, meaning that the far right had an almost absolute monopoly on lethal terrorism in the United States last year. That monopoly would be total if, in one case, the perpetrator had not “switched from white supremacist to radical Islamist beliefs prior to committing the murder.”

The number of fatalities is 35 percent higher than the previous year, and it marks the fourth-deadliest year for such attacks since 1970. In fact, according to the ADL, white supremacists are responsible for the majority of such attacks “almost every year.” The 2018 attacks include the one at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue by a man who blamed Jews for the migrant caravan, the mass shooting at a yoga studio by an “incel” obsessed with interracial dating, and the school massacre in Parkland, Florida, carried out by a student who wished that “all the Jews were dead.”

From 2009 through 2018, right-wing extremists accounted for 73 percent of such killings, according to the ADL, compared with 23 percent for Islamists and 3 percent for left-wing extremists. In other words, most terrorist attacks in the United States, and most deaths from terrorist attacks, are caused by white extremists. But they do not cause the sort of nationwide panic that helped Trump win the 2016 election and helped the GOP expand its Senate majority in the midterms.

When white extremists kill, politicians do not demand that they be racially profiled. They do not call for bans on white people coming to the United States. They do not insist that white people’s freedom of movement be restricted, their houses of worship be surveilled, their leaders be banned from holding public office, or their neighborhoods be “secured” and occupied by armed agents of the state. And they do not demand that taxpayers foot the bill for a massive, symbolic monument that will register America’s official disdain for white people in perpetuity.

Users who are viewing this thread