What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (7 Viewers)

I really don’t care if he uses a tank, as long as he only kills himself with it.  But when he accidentally runs over his neighbor, he should go to jail.  If someone steals it and blows up the house next door, he should go to jail.  Actions, particularly negligent actions, should have consequences.
except if I break into your house and steal a knife and kill someone with it - then you wouldn't be a fault at all would you ? or a ball bat, or if I stole the car in your garage and ran someone over, wouldn't be your fault either .... would it ?

except if I break into your house and steal a knife and kill someone with it - then you wouldn't be a fault at all would you ? or a ball bat, or if I stole the car in your garage and ran someone over, wouldn't be your fault either .... would it ?
Is a baseball bat like a tank?

Since this is the Politics forum, I want to talk politics for a moment.

In recent history this issue (gun control) has always been a winner for Republicans, not necessarily because of the influence of the NRA, but because it represents the clearest example of the principle of pluralism: while the vast majority of Americans are in favor of the most common gun control ideas, they don't see the issue as a priority. On the other hand, the minority of people who are opposed to gun control do see the issue as a priority and are prepared to vote on it. Therefore the minority gets its way, and these voting habits tend to protect Republicans in the House and Senate.

In fact, because of this powerful minority who are opposed to gun control, it's pretty clear at this point that no Republican is going to vote for any kind of gun control, regardless of overall public opinion on this issue. Therefore, realistically if we want to have universal background checks, a gun registry, a ban on assault rifles, etc. etc., we're going to need a Democrat President and Democratic control of both House and Senate. Obviously, that's a tall order.

On the other hand, the Parkland shooting started a movement among young people in this country, heavily publicized, that has as its main goal making gun control a priority among those in favor of it. It's far too early to see how successful this is going to be. Ultimately I don't think it will be, mainly for the reason that most of those of us who are in favor of gun control simply aren't as fanatical on this subject as those who are opposed to it. Unlike them, we don't regard this as a life and death issue; we're also concerned about climate change, health care, etc. Probably, for most of us, gun control is somewhere in the range of 4th or less on any list of top 10 issues, and it's not likely to get higher unless the election falls on the day after a horrific mass shooting.

That's not to say we won't eventually get some gun control on a federal level, but it's going to take some luck.

Since guns are no different than rocks, knives, bats or dildos, it is clear that we don't need the second amendment.   A gun is just another object, right?

when have I EVER said that ?

stop lying as fish would say

we have common sense gun laws right now that work - now, lets focus on the criminals, PLEASE
So you want to pick and choose where personal responsibilities and actions allowances apply.  Interesting how that works for the things you want.  

Re your common sense gun laws statement: Your view on the reach of the current laws or how well they are working that’s all YOUR OPINION not a fact.  That’s the point.  

My answer to your question lives in my question back to you. Please substitute either/all into your sentence replacing guns- Grenades, rocket launchers, pipe bombs, anthrax, etc. etc. etc.
 or knives or ball bats of prescription medications or sugar

see how that works ?
No.  

It doesn't work like that.  All the things I mentioned were designed and built to kill, just like the gun.

See how that works?

given that he refers to trillions of people, I don't think he's serious.
I’ve almost gone in a couple times to edit my post saying “I hope you’re joking but if not...” but I’ve also thought that about some of Stealthy’s posts too in the past only to be proven wrong  so I’m gonna stand pat for now.   

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where you go off the rails every time.   First, secure storage laws are becoming more and more common.   You’re a law abiding citizen, right?  Second, securely storing your guns mitigates the danger of injuring or killing innocent people.  Why are you opposed to that?   Third, secure storage helps prevent criminals from obtaining guns illegally.  Why are you opposed to that?

If a gun is the same as any other weapon, then you should be able to defend your home with a knife or a rock.  Quit making the same inane argument.   It doesn’t work and it never will.  Try thinking for yourself instead of repeating propaganda.

Is a baseball bat like a tank?
Did you ever honestly answer the question?  

Did you ever honestly answer the question?  
Which question?  Why there aren’t laws requiring safe storage of bats?  If there were, a law abiding citizen should follow them.   But there aren’t, since they aren’t an inherently dangerous object designed for the sole purpose of killing things.  

Let's extremely conservatively estimate 10 billion rounds fired last year. 40,000 deaths. That's a .0004 percent effectiveness rate. Pretty shoddy design work.
Anti gun crowd needs to use suicide numbers as part of total gun deaths and the strict definition that guns are created to kill in order to further their agenda. Removing suicides from the totals, makes the problem much smaller than it really is. And recognizing hunting or sport shooting as primary purpose, and not killing humans, removes the the positive use of guns in society.

They have to keep things as negative as possible in order to make people think that guns are bad. 

Let's extremely conservatively estimate 10 billion rounds fired last year. 40,000 deaths. That's a .0004 percent effectiveness rate. Pretty shoddy design work.
At one time there were 60,000 nuclear warheads in existence in the world.

Only 2 have ever been used in an attack.

The small percentage of use to kill doesn't change the fact that they are designed to kill.

given that he refers to trillions of people, I don't think he's serious.

Unfortunately my reluctance to add the assumption of joking to my post fell true again.  Just unreal.  

BroadwayG with all due respect I am not going to waste time debating this with you as I know there is zero chance of changing your position. Feels to me akin to trying to convince a flat-earther the world is round.  

Good to know thanks.  Do you have a gauntlet connection, if so I’d be interested.  

So legalize everything then is your stance as “personal responsibility in choices and actions” is all that matters.  Makes sense to me.  Legalizing all drugs I’m sure you’re behind too then.  I know you’re a right wing guy but I’m sure you break the party lines and are pro-choice too given your personal choice stance.  Pro gay marriage too I have no doubt.  Drinking and driving I’m sure you’re in support of his well based on your stance above, because obviously as you know the percentage of those who get caught or in an accident is very low compared those who are responsibly drinking and driving all over this country everyday.  Why punish those who don’t get in an accident and hurt other people? Responsible drink and drivers should not be punished for those reckless few who cause harm to others.   
I am not even sure how strongly he feels about the personal responsibility part given his comments about how he shouldn't be responsible if he leaves his guns lying about.  

I could be wrong, but I think you were going far enough to say that you shouldn't be responsible if you left your gun in your parked car and somebody took it.  

Anti gun crowd needs to use suicide numbers as part of total gun deaths and the strict definition that guns are created to kill in order to further their agenda. Removing suicides from the totals, makes the problem much smaller than it really is. And recognizing hunting or sport shooting as primary purpose, and not killing humans, removes the the positive use of guns in society.

They have to keep things as negative as possible in order to make people think that guns are bad. 
Again as it’s been a long time since I wondered in here and engaged.  I am not anti-gun and am not trying to get rid of them.  I fall somewhere in the middle of this debate.  But to be delusional of the facts behind the design and intent of the gun (speaking to them as whole not a very small specific subsets of them) is just purposely being obtuse. And for further clarification I didn’t speak of a gun “problems” or the “positive effects”, just the intended design.  

At one time there were 60,000 nuclear warheads in existence in the world.

Only 2 have ever been used in an attack.

The small percentage of use to kill doesn't change the fact that they are designed to kill.
What percentage of nuclear warheads are used for anything other than killing a large amount of people? I've hunted my whole life and never seen someone kill a deer with a nuke. 

Again as it’s been a long time since I wondered in here and engaged.  I am not anti-gun and am not trying to get rid of them.  I fall somewhere in the middle of this debate.  But to be delusional of the facts behind the design and intent of the gun (speaking to them as whole not a very small specific subsets of them) is just purposely being obtuse. And for further clarification I didn’t speak of a gun “problems” or the “positive effects”, just the intended design.  
Are you saying that 100% of all guns manufactured are done so to kill?

Depends how many rounds were fired at targets, which is really just practice for killing things.

Are you saying that 100% of all guns manufactured are done so to kill?
Come on man. Slow down and read what I wrote for a minute.  Let me help you...

“....the facts behind the design and intent of the gun (speaking to them as whole not a very small specific subsets of them)”

Guns were designed to kill. Full Stop. Over time some have evolved for other purposes, like target shooting or paint ball.   But that does not change their original design and what the vast majority are produced for.  Full Stop. This includes hunting which last time I heard was killing things.  

Depends how many rounds were fired at targets, which is really just practice for killing things.
This pretty much sums things up. It's obvious that fish doesn't see any other purpose for guns other than killing things. I've shot dozens of guns over the past 4 decades. Many of which have never been used to hunt with. I've also shot friends firearms with no possibility that I will ever shoot them at anything other than a target. And then there are the dozen or so guns that I shot at the range. I believe Tim mentioned that he shot some guns at a range once. Was he practicing to kill things?

“....the facts behind the design and intent of the gun (speaking to them as whole not a very small specific subsets of them)”

Guns were designed to kill. Full Stop. Over time some have evolved for other purposes, like target shooting or paint ball.   But that does not change their original design and what the vast majority are produced for.  Full Stop. This includes hunting which last time I heard was killing things.  
That's why I asked for clarification. 

What percentage of guns in this country would you way were purchased for hunting? Target shooting? Home defense? Killing someone else?

But, but..   what about paint guns, and glue guns, and squirt guns!! ;)

That's why I asked for clarification. 

What percentage of guns in this country would you way were purchased for hunting? Target shooting? Home defense? Killing someone else?
Who cares?  That has absolutely nothing to do with my point.  You can't change the definition of what something was designed and built to do just because it not always used for that intent. 

To use your favorite analogy, cars are designed and intended to transport people.  Unfortunately they kill lots of people too.  That does not mean they were designed to kill people.   Guns are designed and intended to kill. Fortunately they are not always used that way.  That does not mean they weren't designed to kill.

Which question?  Why there aren’t laws requiring safe storage of bats?  If there were, a law abiding citizen should follow them.   But there aren’t, since they aren’t an inherently dangerous object designed for the sole purpose of killing things.  
Seemed simple enough question to me. 

If you had a knife stolen from you, would you want to serve jail time if it was used in a murder?

We will say the knife stolen was a trench knife in a world war I collection you had.  

Who cares?  That has absolutely nothing to do with my point.  You can't change the definition of what something was designed and built to do just because it not always used for that intent. 

To use your favorite analogy, cars are designed and intended to transport people.  Unfortunately they kill lots of people too.  That does not mean they were designed to kill people.   Guns are designed and intended to kill. Fortunately they are not always used that way.  That does not mean they weren't designed to kill.
Actually, my favorite analogy is alcohol/dui's. I was told that intent was very important when it comes to determining how something is used. Since a person goes to a bar and drinks, their sole intent is to just get home safely. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen and innocent people die. Why is this intent any different from the millions of guns that are purchased with the sole intent of hunting/sport shooting/home defense? The intent was to use those in a benign manner. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen and innocent people die. 

Actually, my favorite analogy is alcohol/dui's. I was told that intent was very important when it comes to determining how something is used. Since a person goes to a bar and drinks, their sole intent is to just get home safely. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen and innocent people die. Why is this intent any different from the millions of guns that are purchased with the sole intent of hunting/sport shooting/home defense? The intent was to use those in a benign manner. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen and innocent people die. 
That all may be true but again not my point.  I'm speaking to the design and intent of the GUN not the gun owner.  And again I'm speaking about the GUN as a whole not the specific small subsets of guns designed for other purposes, like the paint gun for example.  

Seemed simple enough question to me. 

If you had a knife stolen from you, would you want to serve jail time if it was used in a murder?

We will say the knife stolen was a trench knife in a world war I collection you had.  
If there was a law in place that I would be liable for not securing my knife, I would secure my knife as a law abiding citizen.  However, there is no such law.  There are such laws with guns and cars.   I do not leave my car running and unlocked, because it is illegal.   When I owned a shotgun, I used a trigger lock and kept it in a safe, because guns are inherently dangerous and it is irresponsible not to secure them.  When my daughter was born, I gifted the shotgun to a friend, since I did not want a gun in the house with my child, since that's stupid and negligent.

If I left my car unlocked and running and it was stolen, I would fully expect to be held liable for the consequences.  I would not expect to be held responsible for someone stealing a dildo from my home and beating someone with it.   In Washington, if I left my gun unsecured and it was stolen by someone prohibited to own one, I would be criminally liable for leaving it unsecured.   As it should be.

That all may be true but again not my point.  I'm speaking to the design and intent of the GUN not the gun owner.  And again I'm speaking about the GUN as a whole not the specific small subsets of guns designed for other purposes, like the paint gun for example.  
This is why the conversation is stagnant. If you know that a vast majority of guns in this country are never used to harm another person, but want to regulation in order to protect people, then you're not regulating effectively.

It's that line that I referred to earlier. If you think 10k deaths a year is acceptable and I think 20k deaths is acceptable, who's to say who is right or wrong. 

No the conversation is stagnant because many gun owners have no desire to have a conversation.  In fact, you’ll find this absolutely crazy I’m sure, some go so far to even deny guns were designed and built to kill.  

No the conversation is stagnant because many gun owners have no desire to have a conversation.  In fact, you’ll find this absolutely crazy I’m sure, some go so far to even deny guns were designed and built to kill.  
That's one side of it. 

Didn't you say that all guns weren't designed to kill? 

Which side does that put you on?

That's one side of it. 

Didn't you say that all guns weren't designed to kill? 

Which side does that put you on?
KCitons- I'm really trying here man but you don't seem to be reading what I've written.   I've answered both of those questions, the first one multiple times, in just the last few exchanges with you.   I feel like Steathy has hijacked your account......

Dunno.  As weird as I find that argument, I  still think it's more defensible than SC's stance that guns are no more dangerous than baseball bats and knives.  

I live in a rural area with a lot of hunters, and I have never encountered someone who is around guns a lot that has such a seeming lack of respect for their power and the danger that comes with owning them. 

KCitons- I'm really trying here man but you don't seem to be reading what I've written.   I've answered both of those questions, the first one multiple times, in just the last few exchanges with you.   I feel like Steathy has hijacked your account......
I'm reading what you've written. Apparently I'm not understanding it as you are writing it. I can ask questions to try to clarify your point of view, so I understand. Or, I can assume what you are saying. Which would you prefer? There are two parts to communication. If the message is not being received, it's not correct to assume that it's the receivers fault. 

Dunno.  As weird as I find that argument, I  still think it's more defensible than SC's stance that guns are no more dangerous than baseball bats and knives.  

I live in a rural area with a lot of hunters, and I have never encountered someone who is around guns a lot that has such a seeming lack of respect for their power and the danger that comes with owning them. 
That a nuts perspective too for sure but I gave up arguing that with him months ago.   

If there was a law in place that I would be liable for not securing my knife, I would secure my knife as a law abiding citizen.  However, there is no such law.  There are such laws with guns and cars.   I do not leave my car running and unlocked, because it is illegal.   When I owned a shotgun, I used a trigger lock and kept it in a safe, because guns are inherently dangerous and it is irresponsible not to secure them.  When my daughter was born, I gifted the shotgun to a friend, since I did not want a gun in the house with my child, since that's stupid and negligent.

If I left my car unlocked and running and it was stolen, I would fully expect to be held liable for the consequences.  I would not expect to be held responsible for someone stealing a dildo from my home and beating someone with it.   In Washington, if I left my gun unsecured and it was stolen by someone prohibited to own one, I would be criminally liable for leaving it unsecured.   As it should be.
Bolded the information not answering the question

I'm reading what you've written. Apparently I'm not understanding it as you are writing it. I can ask questions to try to clarify your point of view, so I understand. Or, I can assume what you are saying. Which would you prefer? There are two parts to communication. If the message is not being received, it's not correct to assume that it's the receivers fault. 
Sure, of course.  But I don’t know how much more clear I can be.  

Which side am I on? I’m in the middle.  I’m not anti gun and see there value in the right context. But I also understand they are extremely dangerous and as a society we have an addiction and issue with guns.

For your other question I can’t lay it out better then I have already in previous posts today.   

Bolded the information not answering the question
So your question is should I have liability for not securing a knife when there is no law requiring me to secure my knife?  The answer is yes, if that rises to the level of criminal negligence.

But that’s not actually what we’re talking about, so it’s a useless question.

Users who are viewing this thread