What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (4 Viewers)

She had a TRO prohibiting him from contacting her and she, in the face of that, went to his apartment risking creating such contact.  She did so to take the law into her own hands. I do not understand the theft charges, not without seeing the statute or ordinance since generally theft is seeking to permanently deprive the rightful owner of possession of an item, generally, but not always, for the benefit of the person depriving the owner of that item of value.  Here she did not keep the items herself nor intend to permanently deprive him of the weapons, she gave them to authorities to make a determination as to his right to possess these things.  There are arguably other crimes she committed, but theft or armed robbery, I am not seeing it.

She had a TRO prohibiting him from contacting her and she, in the face of that, went to his apartment risking creating such contact.  She did so to take the law into her own hands. I do not understand the theft charges, not without seeing the statute or ordinance since generally theft is seeking to permanently deprive the rightful owner of possession of an item, generally, but not always, for the benefit of the person depriving the owner of that item of value.  Here she did not keep the items herself nor intend to permanently deprive him of the weapons, she gave them to authorities to make a determination as to his right to possess these things.  There are arguably other crimes she committed, but theft or armed robbery, I am not seeing it.
If she knew he was in police custody I don't think there's much risk of "reverse violating" the TRO.

Other than that no comment

Last edited by a moderator:
If she knew he was in police custody I don't think there's much risk of "reverse violating" the TRO.

Other than that no comment
Hard to know when another has made bond.  Still, point taken.  At the same time, if I am the judge who issued the order I am discussing the parameters and expectations with her at the next available opportunity.  I hope she remains safe.  I suspect the parties attorneys are going to have lots of billable hours in this divorce proceeding with collateral domestic violence charges.  The parties are now in a position where nearly all communication and contact between them, including temporary visitation will be court monitored and through their attorneys. 

What about breaking and entering charges? How did she gain access to his apartment? I doubt he gave her keys.

This isn't "the end justifies the means'

What about breaking and entering charges? How did she gain access to his apartment? I doubt he gave her keys.

This isn't "the end justifies the means'
As I wrote, there are arguably other crimes.  Could be breaking and entering, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, depends on how the local codes are written.  Could be robbery which is often unlawful entry of one form or another coupled with intent to commit or actually committing a felony. I find armed robbery weird in that she did not arm herself, as I understand it, to enter and commit the crime but rather had arms as a result of the crime.  It just strikes me odd.

Don't know the local laws, but I'd be in favor of temporary seizure of weapons to go along with a restraining order or DV charges. Probably best if law enforcement did it though.

Don't know the local laws, but I'd be in favor of temporary seizure of weapons to go along with a restraining order or DV charges. Probably best if law enforcement did it though.
This seems like a no-brainer and it's been proven that it works.   Unfortunately, on the federal level too many Senators were bought off by the NRA to pass the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act.   Since mass shootings often involve killing a domestic partner in the process, it could also help prevent them as well.

Women who are victimized by domestic abuse are five times more likely to be killed if their abuser owns a firearm, according to a 2003 study in the American Journal of Public Health. A similar analysis from the Giffords Law Center indicates that two-thirds of women murdered by guns were killed by intimate partners.

"The data refute the hypothesis that abusers who want to kill will simply use another weapon if they don't have a gun," the Department of Justice stated in a since-archived 2016 paper on domestic violence and firearms. "In fact, guns make it more likely that a death will result."

In addition to guns facilitating intimate violence, there is a well-established link between misogyny and America's mass shooting phenomenon. As Pacific Standard reported in 2017, 40 percent of mass shootings that occurred between 2009 and 2012 started with a shooter targeting a partner or former partner, a rate that jumped to 54 percent in 2016, according to gun-control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety. And these are overwhelming perpetrated by men: Out of the 95 mass shootings that occurred between 1982 and 2017 in Mother Jones' open-source database, only three cases—just over 2 percent—included female perpetrators.

Unsurprisingly, the role of misogyny in multiple mass shootings in recent years—the murder of 26 parishioners, including the shooter's former partner, at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, for example—has catalyzed a significant increase in state governments adopting or considering ERPO laws, including a new "red flag" measure introduced in Texas in late 2018.
Turns out if you take their guns, they don't just use another weapon.    Imagine that.

Link

I found out recently in Arkansas you cannot have a restraining order placed on a man unless he's physically harmed you .... constant harassment doesn't qualify even if you think there is a danger

a gun is your best option at that point IMO and than God Arkansas allows people the ability to protect themselves 

NRA continuing its downhill slide:

The National Rifle Association has shut down production at NRATV.

The N.R.A. on Tuesday also severed all business with its estranged advertising firm, Ackerman McQueen, which operates NRATV, the N.R.A.’s live broadcasting media arm, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

While NRATV may continue to air past content, its live broadcasting will end and its on-air personalities — Ackerman employees including Dana Loesch — will no longer be the public faces of the N.R.A.

NRA continuing its downhill slide:

The National Rifle Association has shut down production at NRATV.

The N.R.A. on Tuesday also severed all business with its estranged advertising firm, Ackerman McQueen, which operates NRATV, the N.R.A.’s live broadcasting media arm, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

While NRATV may continue to air past content, its live broadcasting will end and its on-air personalities — Ackerman employees including Dana Loesch — will no longer be the public faces of the N.R.A.
I still get NRA junk mail every month or so (used to be a member). If it stops at some point, I’ll be sure to go to their site to “express interest” so they send out more mailers that I can toss in the trash.

Jobber said:
I still get NRA junk mail every month or so (used to be a member). If it stops at some point, I’ll be sure to go to their site to “express interest” so they send out more mailers that I can toss in the trash.
Their site is excellent for sending emails to elected representatives regarding every piece of proposed gun control regulation in the country.   I just change the pre-written emails to support it.   

Curious if anyone has seen the new show on Discovery called Savage Builds? On the first episode, mythbuster Adam Savage builds an fully functioning Ironman suit. The thing that I thought was most interesting was that they 3d printed 90% of the suit out of titanium. They tested the strength of the suit by firing a 22 cal, 9mm, and 45 cal at the chest plate. It barely left a mark. 

This is the next level of 3d printing that will bring reliability/durability to 3d printed guns. 

Anyone here ever heard of a binary trigger?

I didn't even know these existed until yesterday. Was at my in-laws and brother in law had an AR15 equipped with one. 

In some states, the police take your license. 
you don't need a license to drive

to legally drive you do ... but 15% +/- of the cars on the highways in this nation are driven illegally either by uninsured , under insured or unlicensed

you knew that, right ? 

its also illegal to drive distracted, DUI, speed etc ............. does that stop people ?

Last edited by a moderator:
you don't need a license to drive

to legally drive you do ... but 15% +/- of the cars on the highways in this nation are driven illegally either by uninsured , under insured or unlicensed

you knew that, right ? 

its also illegal to drive distracted, DUI, speed etc ............. does that stop people ?
It does stop people.  It doesn’t stop everyone, but it does stop people. 

No, you can buy a car without a license. 
This is something I've been saying for quite some time. You can buy and operate a vehicle without a license, registration or insurance. 

So, taking a license away,  doesn't actually restrict someone from driving. But, taking guns away can restrict someone from being able to use those guns. 

This is the argument I made with Tim awhile back. That guns are regulated more than cars.

I think we just changed subjects for some reason.
nope

people kill people because they choose to - with whatever weapon they can, even their hands and fists

people drive because they want to - licensed or not

rules and laws bind legal law abiding people - and while I'm in favor of having deterrents .... another few laws on the hundreds we have is ridiculous

did you watch the video ? I'm guessing you didn't - it shows the idiocy of Booker

nope

people kill people because they choose to - with whatever weapon they can, even their hands and fists

people drive because they want to - licensed or not

rules and laws bind legal law abiding people - and while I'm in favor of having deterrents .... another few laws on the hundreds we have is ridiculous

did you watch the video ? I'm guessing you didn't - it shows the idiocy of Booker
Why would I care if Booker's an idiot?

No I didn't cross reference it, because if I know it's a link to Fox I won't even bother clicking in the first place.  I try to not give their product views, clicks, and traffic.  

No I didn't cross reference it, because if I know it's a link to Fox I won't even bother clicking in the first place.  I try to not give their product views, clicks, and traffic.  
living in your own little echo chamber huh ?

try it .... cross reference links/sites/news and see if CNN isn't reporting what everyone else is ............. if they're not? maybe you can self think why that might be

news nowdays have agenda's ... Fox, CNN, USATODAY .... all of them

IMO you have to look across the spectrum - find what's real, what's biased etc ......... and if CNN isn't reporting something many other outlets are? you better ask yourself why or you're allowing mind control

living in your own little echo chamber huh ?

try it .... cross reference links/sites/news and see if CNN isn't reporting what everyone else is ............. if they're not? maybe you can self think why that might be

news nowdays have agenda's ... Fox, CNN, USATODAY .... all of them

IMO you have to look across the spectrum - find what's real, what's biased etc ......... and if CNN isn't reporting something many other outlets are? you better ask yourself why or you're allowing mind control
I dont care about CNN either, and dont give them clicks if I can avoid it as well.  

There are plenty of sources that have mild slants and report actual news, so why not just use them?  No, all outlets dont have an "agenda".   I don't get why anyone would waste any time on the fringes of news, which is what Fox is.  

I dont care about CNN either, and dont give them clicks if I can avoid it as well.  

There are plenty of sources that have mild slants and report actual news, so why not just use them?  No, all outlets dont have an "agenda".   I don't get why anyone would waste any time on the fringes of news, which is what Fox is.  
cross reference - was the story real or not ?

Fox is fringe news LOL .... I read news, from all sources, I try to check whats real and what isn't .... try it. Use that link ... try it

I think you'll find FOX reported valid news. You dismissed it because of a weird liberal left Fox isn't real news thing .... which ironically, is fake news in itself !

cross reference - was the story real or not ?

Fox is fringe news LOL .... I read news, from all sources, I try to check whats real and what isn't .... try it. Use that link ... try it

I think you'll find FOX reported valid news. You dismissed it because of a weird liberal left Fox isn't real news thing .... which ironically, is fake news in itself !
You say that you read news from all sources, but seem to continually link to Fox and a couple others.  

You "LOL", but there are links to a couple sites in here showing charts and info about the different news outlets, their leanings, and how good of info they put out.  Sorry, Fox is one of the worst, and I try not to give them more views and clicks if possible.   You can find and cross reference news stories without having to bother with sites that lean way too much to the left or to the right.  

I'll link from everywhere because I read from ecverywhere

so now that so know the above story is true - anti-gun South Africa using military because of the massive violence using guns problems .... what say you?   hard gun laws should have equaled low gun violence right? 

Users who are viewing this thread