What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (3 Viewers)

So close. 
You are still missing the point that there are a ton of pro-gun people opposed to increased gun regulations, where as pro-alcohol people opposed to increased alcohol regulation are a scarce breed. The only push back to increase alcohol regulation is the businesses selling it. Gun owners however freak out at the notion of increased gun regulation. 

I think you are ignoring just how big the gun manufacturing industry is in the US. Yes, I agree that no level of regulation is going to be enough to stop the manufacturing of guns completely, because criminals will make them. But there is no ####ing possible way that criminal manufacturing alone could be so large that this country would end up with 50% of all the guns in the world. The argument that we need to live in a country where 50% of all the guns in the world exists because "meh, criminals will make guns if even if private industry can't" is by far the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. 
California disagrees.

According to several ATF sources, 30 percent of all guns now recovered by agents in communities throughout California are homemade, un-serialized firearms, known on the street as “ghost guns.”
Why do you think California is having this issue? I think it's because of the strict gun laws. The void is being filled. 

Please stop using the terminology that things are a ridiculous argument. I makes you look even worse when I site examples that prove I'm correct. 

You are still missing the point that there are a ton of pro-gun people opposed to increased gun regulations, where as pro-alcohol people opposed to increased alcohol regulation are a scarce breed. The only push back to increase alcohol regulation is the businesses selling it. Gun owners however freak out at the notion of increased gun regulation. 
The bolded is false. 

Gun owners freak out when they hear people want to take away their guns. Some are suggesting they can do it with an executive order. How do you think society would react if a candidate said that they are going to ban the sale of alcohol in quantities over 24 oz to a single person. You're free to have a drink with dinner, but you're not allowed to purchase enough to get ####faced.. 

You just provided stats to back my point, not yours. 
Not the way I see it. Your statement was:

But there is no ####ing possible way that criminal manufacturing alone could be so large that this country would end up with 50% of all the guns in the world. The argument that we need to live in a country where 50% of all the guns in the world exists because "meh, criminals will make guns if even if private industry can't" is by far the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. 
Why would the culture change? It's not changing in California post ban. People that want these guns are still finding ways to obtain them.

At the bare minimum, it's not the most ridiculous argument. Even though I thought my alcohol argument was the most ridiculous. You guys need to make up your mind. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the way I see it. Your state was:

Why would the culture change? It's not changing in California post ban. People that want these guns are still finding ways to obtain them.

At the bare minimum, it's not the most ridiculous argument. Even though I thought my alcohol argument was the most ridiculous. You guys need to make up your mind. 
Your stats show 70% of all the guns being confiscated by the ATF are made by the gun industry. Guns being confiscated is a fraction of all guns in California. The guns not being confiscated are highly unlikely to be made illegally. Therefor manufacturing of the gun industry is well more than 10 times that of the illegal manufacturing (and probably even more than 10x). Again, there is no ####ing possible way that criminal manufacturing alone could be so large that this country would end up with 50% of all the guns in the world.

Your stats show 70% of all the guns being confiscated by the ATF are made by the gun industry. Guns being confiscated is a fraction of all guns in California. The guns not being confiscated are highly unlikely to be made illegally. Therefor manufacturing of the gun industry is well more than 10 times that of the illegal manufacturing (and probably even more than 10x). Again, there is no ####ing possible way that criminal manufacturing alone could be so large that this country would end up with 50% of all the guns in the world.
I see what you did there. I'll cede to your point. But, it's a pointless thing to win. You admit that we won't be confiscating guns. So the illegal manufacturing will only need to fill the gaps where other manufactures can't. 

You still fail to take into account that people can buy guns from other states. The void is not as large, and not as profitable, as it would be should there become a federal ban. Failure to recognize what is happening in California is crapping in one hand and hoping in the other. Guess which is going to get filled first?

I see what you did there. I'll cede to your point. But, it's a pointless thing to win. You admit that we won't be confiscating guns. So the illegal manufacturing will only need to fill the gaps where other manufactures can't. 

You still fail to take into account that people can buy guns from other states. The void is not as large, and not as profitable, as it would be should there become a federal ban. Failure to recognize what is happening in California is crapping in one hand and hoping in the other. Guess which is going to get filled first?
Again, I'm not failing to recognize that there will be criminal gun manufacturing. I agree it exists. But the fact that the US has 50% of all the guns that exist in the world has very little to do with criminal manufacturing of guns. It's a result of legal manufacturing of guns. The culture is a result of what is legal. If prostitution was legal in this country, our culture would be filled with prostitution. Making prostitution illegal doesn't get rid of prostitution, but it drastically reduces it. The same is true for guns. 

This NOT my quote.  Pretty sure modifying posts to make it appear people said things they didn’t is against the rules.  

I should report you.
good gawd you think I intentionally did that ?

I'm so so so so so so so so so sorry please, please forgive me for botching a quote from a quote.

California disagrees.

Why do you think California is having this issue? I think it's because of the strict gun laws. The void is being filled. 

Please stop using the terminology that things are a ridiculous argument. I makes you look even worse when I site examples that prove I'm correct. 
and they still have shootings

except now, the people of CA cannot fight back, they have to wait until many are dead before authorities can arrive in reactive response

Again, I'm not failing to recognize that there will be criminal gun manufacturing. I agree it exists. But the fact that the US has 50% of all the guns that exist in the world has very little to do with criminal manufacturing of guns. It's a result of legal manufacturing of guns. The culture is a result of what is legal. If prostitution was legal in this country, our culture would be filled with prostitution. Making prostitution illegal doesn't get rid of prostitution, but it drastically reduces it. The same is true for guns. 
And again, California disagrees. You pointed out that 70% of the guns that were confiscated weren't ghost guns. But, I you have to look at how long it's been since regulations changed in California. What's it been, a couple of years? Imagine if the technology was available during the last federal ban. 

Give is a few more years and that 70/30 ratio may be reversed. 

Of course they are... that's why being opposed to increased alcohol regulation is rare.

What makes little sense is how many people there are opposed to increased gun regulation. It's like they aren't concerned really at all. 
Opposed and doing something about it are two different things. 

This is were the problem lies. I mentioned to lack of concern from any candidate when it comes to alcohol related deaths. But, we are going to hear a lot about gun deaths in the next 18 months.

Of course they are... that's why being opposed to increased alcohol regulation is rare.

What makes little sense is how many people there are opposed to increased gun regulation. It's like they aren't concerned really at all. 
here are the regulations anti-gun liberals want ....... the below will have ZERO impact on gun violence. LITERALLY ZERO

you know this, I know it, everyone knows it

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-extends-waiting-period-gun-purchases

Thanks to the gun worshiping culture that a certain segment of the population won't give up on, we're becoming less and less safe every year.

Hell, when I walk to Ravens games through west baltimore I'm no more alert than I am in any public place these days.

What is becoming of our amazing country?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the gun lovers will pull their heads out of the sand long enough say knife-wielding mentally unhealthy individuals would do the same amount of damage.

Alcohol and knives are as dangerous as guns to these awful people.

Thanks to the gun worshiping culture that a certain segment of the population won't give up on, we're becoming less and less safe every year.

Hell, when I walk to Ravens games through west baltimore I'm no more alert than I am in any public place these days.

What is becoming of our amazing country?
"Too soon"

"Thoughts and prayers"

"What about cars and alcohol"

/thetiredrefrains

Users who are viewing this thread