What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (9 Viewers)

It's a problem that he decided to fire at him as he was running, regardless if he hit somebody. 

Sorry, it stops being self defense after the person drops their weapon and runs.  0 reason for that 2nd shot.  
you don't know that  he "fired at him" ,,, the article said he shot into the air

right?   now you can assume that, but all we know is what the article says, right ?

A man acted in self-defense when he fatally shot another man at a northwest Atlanta park Saturday night, police said.

I don't know what would have happened  ..... what we DO know is that police determined it was in self defense.

OK, I will admit that on a quick scan SC himself didn't state that it was self defense.   Just decided to post it in a back and forth about good guys with guns/the positives of having a gun, and didn't seem to argue against it being self defense.   So IMO either saying that was a proper use of a gun, or just throwing a bunch of links up without reading them.  

OK, I will admit that on a quick scan SC himself didn't state that it was self defense.   Just decided to post it in a back and forth about good guys with guns/the positives of having a gun, and didn't seem to argue against it being self defense.   So IMO either saying that was a proper use of a gun, or just throwing a bunch of links up without reading them.  
which would you like to talk about ? is one of the above NOT self defense ?

And...

”well the article doesn’t tell us everything, right?”

vs

”here are a bunch or articles that back up my point.  Take them as gospel”

which would you like to talk about ? is one of the above NOT self defense ?
I highlighted the wrong one, it was the 3rd one I was referring to - where it said:

A preliminary investigation into the shooting indicates Bell got into an argument and physical fight with another man inside the park, Chafee said. They separated, but they were involved in another confrontation a short time later.

At some point, police said, “one of the males produced a firearm and shot the other.”

you don't know that  he "fired at him" ,,, the article said he shot into the air

right?   now you can assume that, but all we know is what the article says, right ?
well, there's the part where he got charged with murder.  not investigated, not held, charged.   but hey, guns!!!!

I highlighted the wrong one, it was the 3rd one I was referring to - where it said:

A preliminary investigation into the shooting indicates Bell got into an argument and physical fight with another man inside the park, Chafee said. They separated, but they were involved in another confrontation a short time later.

At some point, police said, “one of the males produced a firearm and shot the other.”
ok are you saying you know more than the police? if they deemed it self defense, I can't argue with that without knowing far more than I do

Based on the investigation, police are treating the shooting as self-defense and have not made any arrests, police spokeswoman Lisa Bender said Wednesday in a statement. 

about the only shooting I can think of I highly disagree with the result of , was the Tulsa lady cop shooting that man that one night, She got off best I remember :(  

ok are you saying you know more than the police? if they deemed it self defense, I can't argue with that without knowing far more than I do

Based on the investigation, police are treating the shooting as self-defense and have not made any arrests, police spokeswoman Lisa Bender said Wednesday in a statement. 

about the only shooting I can think of I highly disagree with the result of , was the Tulsa lady cop shooting that man that one night, She got off best I remember :(  
Fair, so you admit the example of the dude firing at the fleeing criminal is murder then since we don't know more than the police do and he was charged with murder.  

Last edited by a moderator:
KarmaPolice said:
Fair, so you admit the example of the dude firing at the fleeing criminal is murder then since we don't know more than the police do and he was charged with murder.  
fired into the air - don't misread what the report says and yes, he was charged. We will see what the courts say - guilty or innocent

Probably going to be hard to find a hunting partner after This

If only he would have fallen out of a tree stand first.
this is an example of where we don't always read one article and get all the information 

where in that article does it say the shooter was hunting illegally ? did it ?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/teen-killed-hunting-mistaken-for-deer/77-c8c324b5-cf1c-4a36-999f-20515697c552

Deer season for archery is currently open in Georgia, but firearms season doesn't start until Oct. 19.

Sounds like a poacher and illegal activity that shouldn't have ever been going on .... they would have all had blaze orange had it been rifle season. 

this is an example of where we don't always read one article and get all the information 

where in that article does it say the shooter was hunting illegally ? did it ?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/teen-killed-hunting-mistaken-for-deer/77-c8c324b5-cf1c-4a36-999f-20515697c552

Deer season for archery is currently open in Georgia, but firearms season doesn't start until Oct. 19.

Sounds like a poacher and illegal activity that shouldn't have ever been going on .... they would have all had blaze orange had it been rifle season. 
Bobby Lane, 17, was pronounced dead at a hospital after police say fellow hunter Hector Romero mistook him for a deer.

If he was speeding on the way to the woods would it not count in your book as a stupid gun accident? 

amazing you continue to defend an accused murderer.   
amazing you read one news article and automatically assign guilt

I'm repeating what the article said, nothing more ..........he's innocent until proven guilty. I thought you knew about laws and such ?? no ?

Bobby Lane, 17, was pronounced dead at a hospital after police say fellow hunter Hector Romero mistook him for a deer.

If he was speeding on the way to the woods would it not count in your book as a stupid gun accident? 
it was accidental in that the shot wasn't at a deer like was thought ............ it was intentional to be using a gun illegally and attempting to poach game animals. in rifle seasons, people have blaze orange for a reason - its one of those common sense law things we have in this country. Anyway, the core problem was using a rifle to poach animals ....... had that not been happening, this accidental shooting wouldn't have happened

amazing you read one news article and automatically assign guilt

I'm repeating what the article said, nothing more ..........he's innocent until proven guilty. I thought you knew about laws and such ?? no ?
He’s been charged with murder based on the fact that he killed a guy that was not presenting a threat to him.   Those are the facts.  It doesn’t really matter if he’s convicted.   You keep trying to justify murder because you can’t ever admit that there is a gun violence problem.

fired into the air - don't misread what the report says and yes, he was charged. We will see what the courts say - guilty or innocent
Maybe try following your own advice; that's at least twice you've claimed he "fired into the air", the article doesn't say that at all.

"The person took several steps toward him, Meyer told investigators, so he fired. As the burglar dropped his pickax and ran toward a nearby park, Meyer fired another shot "into the night" in the direction of the park."

He’s been charged with murder based on the fact that he killed a guy that was not presenting a threat to him.   Those are the facts.  It doesn’t really matter if he’s convicted.   You keep trying to justify murder because you can’t ever admit that there is a gun violence problem.
you do not get to decide that - a court of law does

facts are - as the article says - a criminal trespass, attempted robbery/assault with a pickax and the man shot as the criminal approached him then once in the air as the criminal ran

if in fact he shot the guy in the back ( we don't know that ) ... then yes, that's murder. more information will come out 

Meyer fired another shot "into the night" in the direction of the park."
true - not at anyone though as the others interpret the above ........... and it very well might be the man died of gunshot wounds to the back. If he did, then the homeowner was wrong obviously.

if the shot that killed the criminal was to the chest, then that could be justified

courts will figure it out

whats sad is a young person threw their life away by making a bad decision by robbing and who knows what he was planning to do ... an elderly man is now facing murder charges .... all this could have been avoided how ? if the criminal hadn't trespassed and the actions he started ..... the homeowner didn't want anything that morning but to sleep. He acted on the choices of a criminal. lose for everyone in this case  :(  

true - not at anyone though as the others interpret the above ...........
And you know this how?  

and it very well might be the man died of gunshot wounds to the back. If he did, then the homeowner was wrong obviously.

FYI: "When officers responded to Meyer’s call in the 5400 block of Philip Avenue, they found the unidentified suspect in the backyard, face down on the ground with a gunshot wound to the back of his neck."

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/29/police-dallas-man-went-back-to-bed-after-shooting-killing-suspected-burglar/#link={"linkText":"CBS Dallas-Fort Worth","target":"_blank","href":"https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/29/police-dallas-man-went-back-to-bed-after-shooting-killing-suspected-burglar/

FYI: "When officers responded to Meyer’s call in the 5400 block of Philip Avenue, they found the unidentified suspect in the backyard, face down on the ground with a gunshot wound to the back of his neck."
and with more information yes that changes what happened .......... shooting someone running away isn't defending anymore in most instances. I can see the courts ruling homicide, I can agree with that 

if you facebook, a great 3 minute listen

https://www.facebook.com/dan.bongino/videos/508948839677805/

Florida woman 'consumed' by Columbine and Oklahoma City arrested with two dozen pipe bombs

"It would have taken her less than 60 seconds for her to add that powder and fuse and detonate these bombs," he said.

"These bombs could have caused catastrophic damage and harm to hundreds, even thousands of people," the sheriff said.

The deputies also found pistol powder, "fuse material," 23 knives, two hatchets, nunchucks, two BB rifles, six BB handguns and dozens of books on terrorism and bomb-making at the family's home on Jagged Cloud Drive in Wimauma, about 30 miles south of downtown Tampa
I wonder why they didn't find any guns other than bb guns.

Well see what you don't understand is that that man in the bushes was trespassing. If he wouldnt have trespassed and broken the law like that this shooting would have never happened. Also if he was wearing blaze orange with a spotlight shining on him and had on a bulletproof vest whoopie cushion while singing happy birthday the man would have seen him while walking up and would have never been startled. Really had nothing to do with the gun. Also How can you read one article and assume he was even shot? Could be fake news. 

parasaurolophus said:
Well see what you don't understand is that that man in the bushes was trespassing. If he wouldnt have trespassed and broken the law like that this shooting would have never happened. Also if he was wearing blaze orange with a spotlight shining on him and had on a bulletproof vest whoopie cushion while singing happy birthday the man would have seen him while walking up and would have never been startled. Really had nothing to do with the gun. Also How can you read one article and assume he was even shot? Could be fake news. 
He isn’t being criminally charged so nobody did anything wrong.

parasaurolophus said:
Really had nothing to do with the gun
yes and no

it had something to do with the gun ... that is was being misued by someone poaching ... the gun didn't assault anyone

but lets not talk about the core problem 

How do you choose when you lie and when you deflect?  I thought maybe you flip a coin, but sometimes you do both.  Dice?
idiots with cars - is that what you'd call the above? or maybe an assault automobile? how do you solve people running over other people ? just like you solve the people using gun problem ... ban cars

right ?

The guy from norway was poaching in the bushes? Thats weird. Where did you read that?
no no - the poacher who mistook his friend for a deer - using a rifle in archery season is illegal and poaching

the Norway accident - it was an accident. Accidents happen - if he'd have stabbed him with a knife would you feel better and call it assault knives and assault violence or ?????

good gawd

archery season was open, gun wasn't

the one was using a gun - poaching ......... in archery season nobody wears flame orange 

you don't hunt, I get it ... .but c'mon man
So wait. You think that only one guy was out there using a gun? So even though these guys knew each other and were out hunting in a group, you think only one of them was using a rifle? And you are chastising others for making assumptions based on the article? 

Users who are viewing this thread